• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheapassgamer site hacked

Never used the site (it was never useful for UK people), but CheapAssGamer was the first gaming podcast I ever listened to, and made an hour commute to and from work bearable for about a year.

I should listen to it again; I quite liked CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck. Hope this is resolved soon.

I've seen a few people mention Keemstar...what is that? I'd guess a group of like-minded individuals?

This whole thing sucks though; if only these people could use their skills for something actually productive..

An asshole bully that capitalizes on drama and other's misfortune then will give an empty apology when he's wrong and go right back to bullying the next day. Worst part about it all is he has a sizable fanbase. This isn't someone that makes stuff that some people aren't fans of like popular let's players, it's someone that makes his living by being a malicious fuckhead.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
This sucks. I check the site everyday and it's helped me get a lot of good deals. Fucking asshole people who have nothing else better to do with their lives. UGH.

ArjanN

I'm not an ends justify the means kinda guy so I can't back this hacking, but I hope whoever this is and if they are a molester they get what's coming to them.

No offense but I kind of feel that's the wrong thing to take away from this. The method used means whoever put this message there gets exactly 0% benefit of the doubt.

Well this blows.

I visit CAG all the time and CheapyD is a genuinely great guy. Fuck everything

CheapyD is class and has previously fought to protect CAG members.

"In July 2007, a user with the avatar "speedy1961" posted information from an upcoming Circuit City Sunday newspaper ad flyer revealing a $100 PlayStation 3 price drop. Weeks later, Circuit City subpoenaed CAG Productions, LLC in an effort to obtain speedy1961's identity. To fight Circuit City, CAG hired an attorney and filed an Objection and Motion to Quash the subpoena. In February 2009, after declaring bankruptcy, Circuit City filed an order of Nonsuit, officially ending the matter, keeping "speedy1961's" identity a secret."*

*Taken from wikipedia

CheapyD is class and has previously fought to protect CAG members.

"In July 2007, a user with the avatar "speedy1961" posted information from an upcoming Circuit City Sunday newspaper ad flyer revealing a $100 PlayStation 3 price drop. Weeks later, Circuit City subpoenaed CAG Productions, LLC in an effort to obtain speedy1961's identity. To fight Circuit City, CAG hired an attorney and filed an Objection and Motion to Quash the subpoena. In February 2009, after declaring bankruptcy, Circuit City filed an order of Nonsuit, officially ending the matter, keeping "speedy1961's" identity a secret."*

*Taken from wikipedia

Speedy was the shit.

jacobeid

Banned
Big sites get hacked all the time.

And bigger sites get hundreds of thousands of attacks per day.

Two factor your primary emails and use a password manager.

All of my e-mails have two-step verification and I use a unique hex key password for everything. I'm not worried. I'm worried for others/the future of CAG.

Maxim726X

pfDprVW.gif

Do you think they looked at the garbage file??

Ecto311

Never used the site (it was never useful for UK people), but CheapAssGamer was the first gaming podcast I ever listened to, and made an hour commute to and from work bearable for about a year.

I should listen to it again; I quite liked CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck. Hope this is resolved soon.

I started listening in something like 2007 or so. Recent (last year) podcasts are just Cheapy and Ship talking about high end living and gaming where wombat is keeping it real to the site with him being cheap. It should be renamed the ballin ass gamer podcast with wombat. Plus Ship never cusses or says anything off color so it's super odd having him on - I dug it a lot more when he did his own thing and Cheapy/Wombat were the only ones on the show.

Sounds pretty obnoxious, unwanted and unhelpful.

That is such an underrated show. White bear is my favorite episode mostly because how relevant it's themes are today.

Internet detectives really need to fuck off. They have no idea that they can easily ruin some peoples lives...

Edit: Woops...I was looking at the thread Keemstar thread. Still, I think this hacker thinks he is doing some sort of justice. All it did was make it harder for the accused without any evidence.

shanafan

I started listening in something like 2007 or so. Recent (last year) podcasts are just Cheapy and Ship talking about high end living and gaming where wombat is keeping it real to the site with him being cheap. It should be renamed the ballin ass gamer podcast with wombat. Plus Ship never cusses or says anything off color so it's super odd having him on - I dug it a lot more when he did his own thing and Cheapy/Wombat were the only ones on the show.

I started listening in 2012, and I have to disagree. You could say that Shipwreck talked about finishing this basement as "high balling" but all the guys come off as genuinely nice people. Can't say that I have heard them cuss a whole lot, it's genuinely very PG-13. Some toilet humor, but I enjoy that still, lol.

Ecto311

I started listening in 2012, and I have to disagree. You could say that Shipwreck talked about finishing this basement as "high balling" but all the guys come off as genuinely nice people. Can't say that I have heard them cuss a whole lot, it's genuinely very PG-13. Some toilet humor, but I enjoy that still, lol.

Never said they are bad people or anything but man some of the discussions are insane coming from people at a site called cheap ass gamer. Plus I'm not a fan of Cheapy and Ship shitting on Wombat all the time. Makes me feel bad even knowing they are all probably good friends.

near

Gold Member
This is quite annoying, I've got an account that I've had for years there and would randomly go on, can't access the site to change my password. Oh well. :/

Taelus

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I think made an account on there a long time ago, but I don't remember any of my login info. I'm pretty sure I didn't any sensitive information on there, but now I'm nervous.

dEvAnGeL

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I think made an account on there a long time ago, but I don't remember any of my login info. I'm pretty sure I didn't any sensitive information on there, but now I'm nervous.
nervous? why lol, CAG dont store CC info or any of that

pahamrick

Wouldn't any actual sensitive info be encrypted, or would that not matter in the least because of what he actually has access to?

entremet

Never said they are bad people or anything but man some of the discussions are insane coming from people at a site called cheap ass gamer. Plus I'm not a fan of Cheapy and Ship shitting on Wombat all the time. Makes me feel bad even knowing they are all probably good friends.
That's called friendly banter. They actually hang out irl.

I like it because it's non industry dudes who love the hobby.

I also love giant bomb and the beast cast, so I'm not deriding podcasts by industry folks, but the show has a feel I can relate with more.

PillarEN

Feeling for CheapyD right now. used to frequent the forums there before I kinda shifted over here for all my forum posting needs. Just hope that there was no serious damage beyond the hijack. That site is top tier for all gamers looking for deals.

tengiants

No offense but I kind of feel that's the wrong thing to take away from this. The method used means whoever put this message there gets exactly 0% benefit of the doubt.

Understood. It's complicated. I just hope all molesters get what's coming to them, hack or not. As someone who was a child that was involved in situations that were beyond my control I hope you understand. Peace.

Understood. It's complicated. I just hope all molesters get what's coming to them, hack or not. I hope you understand. Peace.

Dude, why do you think this event has anything to do with any actual molester? Because of the accusations of a hacker who has since updated the message to make fun of Martin Luther King?

Top Bottom