• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheapest SSD for Xbox Series X?

Freeman76

Hey guys, are there any decent external USB SSD for a reasonable price that work to store enhanced games on, or do I need to buy the £219 SSD that plugs directly into the console?

cHaOs667

Storing and running are two different things - you can store enhanced games even on a USB HDD, but you can't run them of the HDD :(

So far, the Seagate SSD is the only viable option if you don't want to copy stuff all the time.

Andodalf

Banned
I’m hopeful we’ll get news on more cards soon, along with other hardware news like design labs returning. Maybe xo2021

A regular USB SSD isn't useless for the Series X. For the most part you'll get 99% of the load time benefits for specifically back-compat games without Series enhancement. I currently rock my 4tb HDD for cold-storage, and transfer everything I'm playing to the internal, but I can see throwing a 1tb SSD into the mix for my XBone games.

Kilau

can we get some amazon links
My favorite enclosure right now:

I use one on PS5 and XSX for BC games.

If you don’t care for an enclosure or optional secondary power you can also use:

Most any SSD will be enough since Xbox is limited to 5GBs and PS5 is limited to sata3 speeds for BC games. Brands to look for. Samsung, Crucial, WD, SK Hynix, Sandisk.

Rossco EZ

i use one of these OP https://www.ebuyer.com/865110-seagate-1tb-external-ssd-for-xbox-sthb1000401?msclkid=55282c18b29f10a8d8094cd01c5dc54d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLAs||Storage||Hard Drive - SSD||Med&utm_term=4583451674262770&utm_content=PLAs||Storage||Hard Drive - SSD||External SSDs

i’m hoping the series X|S expansion card drops to £140-£150 ish in the next few months, still overpriced at £219. lowest i’ve seen it so far was £180.

i’d probably wait until black friday before buy any extra memory.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

images

BigBooper

MS needs to do something about the ssd requirements. Some Series X games have to be installed on the fast SSD and I can't imagine they actually require that speed. Like Tetris Effect. Why does it need a superfast ssd? If they don't have to use it, let it be installed on external.

Allandor

A good USB to SATA connector isn't cheaper than buying an external. You can't just buy any connector.
well you can ... at least it won't change that much. Only move games there might need a little while longer.
Loading times are not really that much different. Still much better than on x1/x1x.

The cheapest SSD you can get should be more than enough for the good old xb1/xb360 titles. For XBSS/XBSX games you need the costly storage from seagate. I really hope that there will be some other manufacturers in the near future.
Prices are much to high, but on the other hand prices for such fast SSDs in that formfactor are also high.

elliot5

I'm fine with the proprietary solution if there was just more choice on the market right now. Yeah a normal SSD would be better, like how they opened up the Surface lineup to have changeable drives and wifi cards (I think).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks for the info guys
Yup. If you really need SSD expansion, you got to bite the bullet on the Seagate card.

As for other people talking SSDs, the Series X Seagate card is currently the best and only option for next gen systems. And when more come out, all you do is plug it in. For PS5, nothing released yet and you got to open up the system.

Cerny was plugging PC SSDs should work by fall 2020 (lie), and gamers were hyping up the vast array of PC SSDs eventually working on PS5 should lead to rock bottom prices so its a big long term win.

We'll see what happens with the variety and price of compatible PC SSDs, which is currently is nada.

Anyone know if series X games in 'cold storage' on an external harddrive update in the background? Or does it have to be on the SSD to update? I usually just keep stuff on the external 5TB drive if I'm not actively playing them.

MastaKiiLA

Transferring large files over USB isn't a big deal if the external is an SSD. It's probably the smarter storage option for all systems, TBH. The amount of space on the internals should be more than enough for games you rotate through. Waiting a few minutes to swap games in/out of that rotation shouldn't be a major factor IMO.

anthony2690

Banned
Storing and running are two different things - you can store enhanced games even on a USB HDD, but you can't run them of the HDD :(

So far, the Seagate SSD is the only viable option if you don't want to copy stuff all the time.

Some you can surprisingly, but majority must be on the SSD.

I was pleasantly surprised recently to find you can even use quick resume on games on the external hdd too.

I honestly thought that was for internal or external ssd card only.

TheRobot

Some you can surprisingly, but majority must be on the SSD.

I was pleasantly surprised recently to find you can even use quick resume on games on the external hdd too.

I honestly thought that was for internal or external ssd card only.
So you're saying I can run Native XSX games without the Seagate ssd?

Ulysses 31

Last edited:
Top Bottom