• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating Has Destroyed Call of Duty MP on Consoles (and Activision Cannot Fix)

ManaByte

I don't know if you've played Call of Duty MP on a console lately (and ESPECIALLY in the PSN ecosystem), but no-recoil cheaters have completely destroyed the game. Despite Activision claiming to go after "third party software vendors", that won't ever stop the CoD console cheaters as they aren't using software. No matter how much Activision claims they update their anti-cheat solution, it'll never work because the cheaters (mostly on PS4) are NOT using software but HARDWARE.

Say hello to the next-generation Game Genie:

The ONLY way to detect this is to watch the replay kill cams. The game software cannot detect it as it's external USB hardware. This is why Treyarch added the theater mode so people can record the cheaters, but you actually have to go out of your way to do that as there's no way for the game itself to detect them.

Presumably the only way to fix this would be on a hardware-level fix from Sony and MS where the system won't recognize the device when it's plugged in.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I don't know if you've played Call of Duty MP on a console lately (and ESPECIALLY in the PSN ecosystem), but no-recoil cheaters have completely destroyed the game. Despite Activision claiming to go after "third party software vendors", that won't ever stop the CoD console cheaters as they aren't using software. No matter how much Activision claims they update their anti-cheat solution, it'll never work because the cheaters (mostly on PS4) are NOT using software but HARDWARE.

The ONLY way to detect this is to watch the replay kill cams. The game software cannot detect it as it's external USB hardware. This is why Treyarch added the theater mode so people can record the cheaters, but you actually have to go out of your way to do that as there's no way for the game itself to detect them.

Presumably the only way to fix this would be on a hardware-level fix from Sony and MS where the system won't recognize the device when it's plugged in.

Playing COD is a mistake.

GymWolf

Do you remember the old days when console players talked shit about online gaming on pc because of the cheaters?!

oh-i-member-south-park.gif

HTK

Banned
I'd still rather play console cheaters than aim botters on PC delivering headshots soon as you peek. But once again, Publishers and Developers really need to clamp down on cheating on all the platforms. It will continue to ruin online experiences going forward. Warzone is unplayable at this point.

Bryank75

Banned
I think Sony has a deal to bring a pretty cool shooter in the next year or two...

BF2024 is gonna be the game this winter along with SplitGate. Apex is still good and Destiny update is early next year..... no shortage of shooters.

Amazing a company as large as Activision screwed this up. But with SBMM they are probably placed in tougher lobbies I don't see often.

StormCell

What percentage of players go for this sort of hardware? Can’t imagine it’s even a tiny fraction of software cheaters. And it’s only gun control, far from wall hacks and aimbots.

I think you'd be surprised.

One of the reasons why I don't get into FPS MP more is because there's always something. There's always somebody doing something. At times I'd swear a third of the other team is cheating somehow based purely on things like being shot from across the map by a non-sniper or me shooting somebody relentlessly as they run up and blast me in the head point blank. Yeah, some of that may have been lag at the time, but that is just how it usually seems to go.

Eventually, I just wrote off fps mp because I like to have fun and don't care to memorize whole maps and figure out an effective run for racking up kills versus deaths. That's all it amounts to.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Do you remember the old days when console players talked shit about online gaming on pc because of the cheaters?!

oh-i-member-south-park.gif

Seeing as I've encountered cheaters since my Halo 2 days I've never really had that sentiment going on. I knew it was way more common on PC. Host bridging (?) twats were the bane of my existence back then =/

R6Rider

Gold Member
Siege itself is overun with M+KB users on consoles. They can't detect it via hardware, but there are at least 2 very easy methods that could be used to detect them on a software basis. It would be super easy to implement, but companies seemingly don't want to.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What percentage of players go for this sort of hardware? Can’t imagine it’s even a tiny fraction of software cheaters. And it’s only gun control, far from wall hacks and aimbots.

If you meet say one a day.
Basically every day youve had a shit experience playing COD.
Remember people remember and hold on to bad things much more than good....so that one match/round ruins the whole day worth of COD in your mind.

Heck alot of streamers will say shit like COD is unplayable because they keep meeting cheaters......they meet one every day.....and stream practically all day.

Percentage wise its low.....but perception wise.

<--- Doesnt play COD anymore.
Probably for the best BF isnt as popular as COD less incentive to make cheats

MadPanda

Banned
I'm sure that one streamer used this, when he used to play on ps4 before he switched to PC. How do I know? Because he was promoting different builds for guns and when you tried his exact setup you see you have a much higher recoil.

Anyway, I despise people using this. Such losers.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
wonder if this kinda stuff will boost the PvE mp games like back for blood and most of Destiny.

Tschumi

i wish they'd just be able to recognize when players are too good, i mean, if they're so damn good that they can get strings of insta killshots without cheating then they should be pros and willing to be filmed playing for proof, but like if some random wanker is bunny hopping around scoring killshots across the map through gaps in masonry (battlefield 1 memories) then AI should be able to say 'eerrrp'

---

I don't bother with online shooters, it took me years to get as good as i was a wow back in the day, so can only imagine something similar happened with the (genuinely) good shooter players... i cbf

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Where are your stats claiming it happens way more on ps4?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why can't sony and Microsoft block it on a software level?
Because the device registers as a controller, where the keyboard and mouse is connected.

The console simply detects the input as a controller.

However, epic could for some reason detect them at some point

It's been bad for as long as I can remember. Warzone and Modern Warfare especially, are both riddled with players either full-blown rage hacking or using Cronus/Strike Pack or whatever else.

It's so fucking boring running into players using these devices, but the trade-off is at least you can actually beat them. Aimbotters you have little to no chance of winning that fight.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't bother with online shooters, it took me years to get as good as i was a wow back in the day, so can only imagine something similar happened with the (genuinely) good shooter players... i cbf

I haven't played competitive shooters for over a decade because reasons. With Infinite approaching I feel it's a nice way to do so again; huge player base with lots of inexperienced players to fool around with! =)

Top Bottom