• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check Out Sony's New PSP Marketing Campaign

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems they hired some people from Ubisoft: http://www.us.playstation.com/girlzplaytoo/

I'm sure there's a good concept in here somewhere, though I'm just not sure this is the right way to go about it...

Especially if you want repeat customers...

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not against them selling to girls. I think that's a great idea. It's that I think recommending people shovelware is generally a bad idea.

Ardorx

Banned
I did my best man. You know, its bad enough we had to reuse old Walmart: Back 2 Skool advertisements, I don't need some forum guy dissing my work.

expy

Banned
Nirolak said:
It seems they hired some people from Ubisoft: http://www.us.playstation.com/girlzplaytoo/

I'm sure there's a good concept in here somewhere, though I'm just not sure this is the right way to go about it...

Especially if you want repeat customers...

It's marketed towards the younger female crowd. It's not supposed to generate much interest in the much more mature audience.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
expy said:
It's marketed towards the younger female crowd. It's not supposed to generate much interest in the much more mature audience.
It's not the concept of advertising to younger females I think they're doing badly, it's recommending them shovelware.

Ubisoft burnt their DS market this way. Their DS game sales are down 66% this year. o_O

NRiQ

Banned
OMG THAT'S SO RAVEN!! I mean what the heck sony, good luck trying but if you can't get boys into the PSP world, you won't have much opportunity with girls

Sonos

Banned
Sony having the worst marketing campaign possible? Amazing.

I'll have to let the women I know (2 maybe?) that there is now a lilac psp for them as well as games they can play like barbie horse sims. Sony Shares rise an unprecedented 18.3% in one day on the Japanese stock exchange.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sonos said:
I'll have to let the women I know (2 maybe?)

:lol

Well this isn't for women.

It's for girls of that certain age when they're insecure about being 'cool' and wanting to be one of the giiirrrrlllzz!

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
needs more tits, space marines and loli rape girls before it meets Gaf's distinguished masculine pallet.

expy

Banned
Nirolak said:
It's not the concept of advertising to younger females I think they're doing badly, it's recommending them shovelware.

Ubisoft burnt their DS market this way. Their DS game sales are down 66% this year. o_O

What would those young girls and their mothers know about shovelware anyway? I think their reaction will be more along the lines of "OMGZ HANNAH MONTANAZ PSP, IT'S PINK!!! MOM GET ME ONE".

Sonos

Banned
Nirolak said:
I did as well...

Did anyone get something different?

we are all loco. i even put some random evil things like "tell the first person all my bff's secrets to the first person I see" in there hoping I'd get something different. I'd totally do that though irl (omg).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I am ....Patapon Princess !!!!! WTF

6jh9ck.jpg

Wow, that's pretty bad. Not quite as bad as ALL I WANT FOR XMAS or as stupid as IT HAZ NUTZ, but yeah... kind of comes off like someone's lame dad walking into the room and going OHMIGAWD GIRLZ.

After watching the Petz game I wonder why there is no Boyz game. I think girls would be into having a virtual boy that they can control all aspects of his life.

Ubisolf get on that!

Sonos

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
Should be called "Girlz Play PSP too, not just DS!" followed by desperate pleading and presenting of gifts.

Does the DS have a lilac DS? No they dont so OMG JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

spwolf

Nirolak said:

um, Patapon, LocoRoco are shovelware?

iceatcs

I knew even before enter on this thread, someone will very angry over it.

GAF never let me down.

Johann

This is a case too little to late. A serious marketing campaign aimed at young women should have began early in the PSP's life. The system was always aimed at 15-35 old male demographic that typified the PS2 by offering console-like experiences on a handheld.

They can't seriously expect to go after them with the PSP's current image, especially after calling them 'handheld gaming ghetto' and the Pokemon demographic. And especially not with those kinds of games.

spwolf

Nirolak said:
No, but that doesn't change the rest of the list...

Also the bundle is specifically Hannah Montanna, not Patapon or LocoRoco.

umh, because Hannah Montanna is quite popular among teen girls right now?

DeepFriedMuppet

Neo Member
"I was like did you see the new PSP, it's like totally lilac! And she was like, they've got Hannah Montana. And I was like OMG I know! And then we were both like they spelled girls with a z so like this is totally for us, coz we're not like, just girls, we're girlz! Like totally cool and stuff.

I'm like so totally getting Daddy to get me one. He can like get Airmiles if he uses his card or something so he'll like totally do it."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Johann said:
This is a case too little to late. A serious marketing campaign aimed at young women should have began early in the PSP's life. The system was always aimed at 15-35 old male demographic that typified the PS2 by offering console-like experiences on a handheld.

They can't seriously expect to go after them with the PSP's current image, especially after calling them 'handheld gaming ghetto' and the Pokemon demographic. And especially not with those kinds of games.
Yeah, I think a much better strategy would have been to build quality games themselves if they wanted to target the teenage girl market. The DS had Animal Crossing and Pokemon for example, both of which appeal to both young girls and young boys.

This, however, is just taking Ubisoft's and Disney's lineup that is not only of questionable quality but is already available on the DS and then hoping people will buy your platform because of it.

LocoRoco and Patapon aren't bad ideas, and they are actually good games, but their marketability just isn't very high, so I don't think that's a great solution either.

StuBurns

Banned
The girl on the right looks a little like Emma Watson.

I think they're crazy, I really don't see them changing the public image of the PSP now, but good luck to them.

LocoRoco's a good choice, and Hannah Montana is definitely popular, though not in the least exclusive to the platform, so it doesn't have quite the punch it might have had.

Patapon's a bad choice though. There's a nasty speedbump early on in the game that's going to turn off most casual players.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Johann said:

Could be worse

Top Bottom