• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheddar: Activision Blizzard First Diversity Report Shows Continuing Lack of Gender Representation

https://cheddar.com/media/activisio...hows-continuing-lack-of-gender-representation
On the verge of its acquisition by Microsoft, video game publisher Activision Blizzard on Thursday released its first annual report on diversity and inclusion, and the results showed that the company has a long way to go before hitting its goals around increasing the representation of women and non-binary people in its workforce.
The gaming giant had faced pressure from shareholders and employees to reform its corporate culture and practices after a series of reports exposed rampant discrimination and harassment. The report is an attempt to follow through on promises to better track its progress on increasing diversity.
Among other changes, Blizzard Activision separated "Woman" and "Non-binary" gender identities in representation data, which is how the company was able to show that both groups made up 26 percent of the workforce in December, which is just over half of its 2025 goal and unchanged from November.
"We'll continue to measure the impact of these changes, as we're confident this work will contribute to our goal of becoming the most welcoming and inclusive company in the industry," wrote Kristen Hines, the chief diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) officer for Activision Blizzard, in a blog post.
"We also believe this will help us meet the commitment we made in 2021 to increase the percentage of women and non-binary employees by 50% over five years."
https://activisionblizzard.substack.com/p/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-2022
Our global Employee Network Groups (ENGs) lay at the heart of our organization and provide safe spaces for connection, growth, learning, and leadership for many of our employees. They also influence the core of our business through cross-Network collaboration on important topics like including pronouns in our systems, and new character creation features in our games.

In addition to our ENGs, we’ve created opportunities for connection through new people-focused programs. A few of these include:

• Press Pause, a series of roundtable discussions that create a safe space for courageous conversations not typically had in the workplace, and shine a light on the experiences of our employees from different backgrounds
  • Walking the Talk@ABK, a video series featuring our employees who champion DE&I from across the business and around the world, and spotlighting the impact of their initiatives and efforts
  • DE&I Community of Action (CoA), a space for DE&I champions from all parts of the company to connect, share best practices, explore educational opportunities, and grow personally and professionally
  • Together@ABK Mentorship Program, a mentorship program launched in collaboration with our ENGs to help create a deeper sense of community among employees and help them grow
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F35411ad4-b1e6-4f77-9f8b-48494e6a8b2d_794x439.png

(Press Pause, a series of roundtable discussions that create a safe space for courageous conversations not typically had in the workplace and shine a light on the experiences of our employees from different backgrounds)
We’re also working to embed DE&I values and practices into every level of the organization and across the employee lifecycle. In partnership with the ABK Talent team, we’re reimagining how we think about our talent pipeline and how we make the recruitment experience more welcoming for all. We continue to evolve our recruiting practices to encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our open roles. This approach paved the way for new programs like Level Up U, and amped up our recruitment presence at events like Black Tech Fest in the U.K. and Call of Duty Endowment (C.O.D.E.) Bowl, helping us reach more potential candidates and create a more diverse pipeline of talent.

Changes to how our job descriptions are written also encourage diverse applicants. For example, research shows that women and members of other underrepresented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do. To address this, we added language to encourage people to apply even if the applicant believes they don’t meet all requirements.
We also implemented “Textio,” a writing tool that helps make the job description language more inclusive and gender-neutral. In 2022, the Talent team revised more than 5,500 job descriptions using Textio as a tool.
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb3ffa786-800c-4ea1-8581-e650b258cfe6_1348x573.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7c787811-6b5c-401d-9f92-b7a1482eac76_1443x658.png

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fda5c1a03-40d0-46bc-9c2f-60fedfa5aa5c_1443x658.png

So, I find it interesting how theirs such a race to implement these types of programs, Activision thought a good diversity program for safe-space discussions involving different backgrounds including LGBT, should be named "press pause", which has got to be one of the funniest slip ups I've seen yet.

Also "own the" is apparently a male-centric set of words. I guess women can't own things anymore.

I'm assuming the goal of Activision is to reach the Xbox Indie diversity levels as shown here,

Fr8RkL0aEAI2HS-

Yes, I believe Activision is going to need more time before they can reach diversity of this level. Still some ways to go.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about Textio, it must be a newer corporate application to prevent offending people, but I think that if "own the" is an offensive set of words, it may be going a bit far imo.

This is just a diversion from their actual job - video game development to increase share holder satisfaction.

It doesn't matter what colour skin an artist has, or what type of genitals a programmer has.

It doesn't matter if they lean in favour of your political views, any more than it matters if they dont.

They want diversity, because they don't want cohesion, because they don't want people to unionize. They'd rather talk about unity, while pushing a highly divisive worldview of oppressed vs oppressors, so they don't actually have to change anything about the structure of society or their own business. It's why all businesses are embracing this sort of thing. Workers aren't getting paid more, and the people at the top aren't getting paid less. Go ahead and prove me wrong, Activision.

Last edited:
Who the fuck cares?
I look at diversity like this.
If I, or a family member, needs a life saving operation, and the best surgeon is a black, transgender, gay, Muslim with one foot, and the second best surgeon is a white, straight, Christian man, I want the black trans surgeon to do the operation.
I want my sporting teams to draft the best players, regardless of their colour. I want the smartest scientists trying to find a cure for cancer.
I use that for everything. Diversity plays no part in it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Who the fuck cares?
I look at diversity like this.
If I, or a family member, needs a life saving operation, and the best surgeon is a black, transgender, gay, Muslim with one foot, and the second best surgeon is a white, straight, Christian man, I want the black trans surgeon to do the operation.
I want my sporting teams to draft the best players, regardless of their colour. I want the smartest scientists trying to find a cure for cancer.
I use that for everything. Diversity plays no part in it.

What if the best surgeon is a black, transgender, gay, Muslim with no hands?

Elysion

Banned
If I was in charge of a company with a mostly male workforce (especially in an industry that’s already male dominated), but I wanted to make it look like I cared about equity or whatever, then I would offer a 5% raise for every male employee who agrees to identify as female. I imagine it would be quite easy to get at least 50% to go along with something like that lol. They wouldn’t even have to legally change their name or gender; nor would they need to dress or act like women. All they’d have to do is ‘identify’ as female, so that the company can claim in its DEI report that its workforce is at least 50% ‘female’. Who would actually check if it’s true? In clown world, personal identity trumps material and biological reality. If the system requires adherence to absurd rules like that, then why not exploit those rules?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is just a diversion from their actual job - video game development to increase share holder satisfaction.

It doesn't matter what colour skin an artist has, or what type of genitals a programmer has.

It doesn't matter if they lean in favour of your political views, any more than it matters if they dont.
Do not worry, when these big soulles corps need tons of work done for cheap they just hire teams from outsourcing companies in disparate countries all over the world which tend to be much more homogenous. The diverse hubs they say they want are more expensive.

CGNoire

They want diversity, because they don't want cohesion, because they don't want people to unionize. They'd rather talk about unity, while pushing a highly divisive worldview of oppressed vs oppressors, so they don't actually have to change anything about the structure of society or their own business. It's why all businesses are embracing this sort of thing. Workers aren't getting paid more, and the people at the top aren't getting paid less. Go ahead and prove me wrong, Activision.
Its always been about closing down and making any Conversation about Classism "Problematic". You litteraly cant bring up Classism anymore in woke spaces without being accused of "drawing attention away from Racism".

Last edited:

fermcr

The way to improve a company/developer is hire talented, diligent and hardworking people, not diversity.

Look what's happening with 343 Industries... diversity is PR BS.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

https://cheddar.com/media/activisio...hows-continuing-lack-of-gender-representation

https://activisionblizzard.substack.com/p/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-2022

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F35411ad4-b1e6-4f77-9f8b-48494e6a8b2d_794x439.png

(Press Pause, a series of roundtable discussions that create a safe space for courageous conversations not typically had in the workplace and shine a light on the experiences of our employees from different backgrounds)

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb3ffa786-800c-4ea1-8581-e650b258cfe6_1348x573.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7c787811-6b5c-401d-9f92-b7a1482eac76_1443x658.png

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fda5c1a03-40d0-46bc-9c2f-60fedfa5aa5c_1443x658.png

So, I find it interesting how theirs such a race to implement these types of programs, Activision thought a good diversity program for safe-space discussions involving different backgrounds including LGBT, should be named "press pause", which has got to be one of the funniest slip ups I've seen yet.

Also "own the" is apparently a male-centric set of words. I guess women can't own things anymore.

I'm assuming the goal of Activision is to reach the Xbox Indie diversity levels as shown here,

Fr8RkL0aEAI2HS-

Yes, I believe Activision is going to need more time before they can reach diversity of this level. Still some ways to go.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about Textio, it must be a newer corporate application to prevent offending people, but I think that if "own the" is an offensive set of words, it may be going a bit far imo.
I'm doing a lesbian coworker for some time now. Don't ask me how i pull it off, it must be some kind of animal magnetic thing i have. She's in 6 year old relationship with her girlfriend, living together like married and shit. Am I being inclusive or forced inclusive?

I'm totally screwed if this guys find out ain't i?

93xfan

Banned

Fr8RkL0aEAI2HS-

WTF with all theee ABLE-bodies people!!

Totally unrelated, but is it possible the chemicals in my blue hair dye could cause mental illness?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forced inclusivity is bad in every industry.
Which is hilarious for tech companies because if there's one kind of industry that skews to men (blue collar or geeky tech) and white/asian people (need a higher level of education which every census survey says they have), you'd think the pie charts above directionally make sense.

Already the pie charts are disproportionately against white people as the US is about 70% white people, yet the charts show them in the 56-61% range. So already cut off by 10%.

Top Bottom