• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cherno reacts on Dirt 5 running on XSX ''What can anyone say about this''

Sony

Nintendo
So, in a video about a multiplatform game:
- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video and 'Is this a mobile game' in the title of the video.
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game. If he's a game engine dev, he should know that there is no reason to assume the PS5 version will perform or look better.
- He chose to mention Halo: Infinite in a video about Dirt 5

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to understand this guy is generously taking advantage of console wars and is catering to fanboys, and giving this guy a podium is a shame.
That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really bad. His involvement in game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.

Last edited:

Cyborg

- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to understand this guy is generously taking advantage of console wars and is catering to fanboys, and giving this guy a podium is a shame.
That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really shameful. His involvement is game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.
I mean the video he is watching and reacting on is bad. Could be the video/footage itself

cormack12

Gold Member
- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game

That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really shameful. His involvement is game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.

His actual game series videos are really good, like his virtual classes. After the reaction to UE5 videos though, I think he knows what brings the views and monies. He's still insightful and seems a good lad though. Just playing the system...

Sony

Nintendo
I mean the video he is watching and reacting on is bad. Could be the video/footage itself

I'm not defending the footage of Dirt 5 he is reacting on, but commenting on the way he chose to convey his reaction.

Last edited:

It's more this, yes.

He got sent the IGN video, who later admitted their equipment was causing tearing and other issues. The DF footage showed the game in a better light.

I do think referencing Halo and continually acting like this is an Xbox Series X thing, rather than a cross-gen multi-plat, didn't help. Like yeah, it doesn't look next gen, could that be because it's not a next gen game? Doesn't take a game developer to work that out.

J_Gamer.exe

Hes not impressed at all with this or halo that he has seen from xbox series x and questions what is going on over there at xbox, where is the next gen looking footage and power on show.

Shots fired at Alex from Digital Foundry for his Halo video which Cherno disagrees with about half of it, says 'some of the stuff they explained doesn't technically make any sense and not really correct in some places'.

OUCH.

This was said on here by many at the time, was a video full of some excuses and wrong reasons.

Last edited:

Cyborg

It's more this, yes.

He got sent the IGN video, who later admitted their equipment was causing tearing and other issues. The DF footage showed the game in a better light.

I do think referencing Halo and continually acting like this is an Xbox Series X thing, rather than a cross-gen multi-plat, didn't help. Like yeah, it doesn't look next gen, could that be because it's not a next gen game? Doesn't take a game developer to work that out.
To be honest he does comment on his reaction and whats causing it. I still think it just a honest opinion on the footage he saw while adding some developer insight. You cant deny that the other videos he makes (if you wathed it) he clearly knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I don't think he's looking to bash anything for the sake of it - he's in the industry and as he says himself, he has no "journalism" career to defend going forward so he's making his assessment without worrying about incentives from anyone.

Bad quality game looks bad - but it's what he was sent as an example of a native Xsex game.

He invites people to send him better quality Xsex stuff to look at so take him up on the offer...

Tickrate

Should've stayed with his awesome game engine series.
These reaction videos are just an attempt to capitalize on the console war and it's a bit unfortunate.

I've been following him for a couple of years now and I get that that first ps5 reaction video got him lots of views, but these videos (imo) do not provide much substance.

Last edited:

NEbeast

- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video and 'Is this a mobile game' in the title of the video.
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game. If he's a game engine dev, he should know that there is no reason to assume the PS5 version will perform or look better.

That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really bad. His involvement in game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.

MM is cross gen, it looks fantastic. Dirt is just a bad looking game.

LokusAbriss

That is the result of codemaster's recent push to broaden their customer base. Besides their F1 games, lets look at their recent games: GIRD, F&F Crossraods, Project Cars 3 and now Dirt 5. Arcade racing games, washed down simulation aspects and just enough work in them to make them look current gen.

They are just lazy and after the money. Nothing wrong with bringing good arcade games, but other developers show what you can bring to market with a little more effort.

I think that Dirt 5 looks fine for a simple rallye racing game with arcade in mind. But it is nothing nextgen. Might still be very entertaining with friends to play.

What's ugly is the fact that so many use it as a proof to determine the power of the XSX. Simply short minded. We all know that what will come from Playground Games, Turn 10 and Polyphony Digital, will just blow us away again this coming generation.

Sony

Nintendo
MM is cross gen, it looks fantastic. Dirt is just a bad looking game.

Nah, I dont believe that. If he sees a bad game he will react on it. I dont believe this has anything to do with a console war bullshit.

You don't get it do you? It's fine to create a reaction video in which he bashes Dirt 5's visuals. He goes further than that and explicitly bashes Xbox in the process, while it's Dirt 5 that is the problem.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
He doesn’t bash Xbox. Find me a quote.

I don't mean explicitly. I meant implicityly. There is no reason whatsoever for him to put so much emphasis on Xbox in a multiplatform game. It's about the total picture. I repeat:

All of this is chosen to attrackt a certain audience and to convey a certain message. It's purposefully misleading.

FunkMiller

Here's the problem with not putting out better quality gameplay videos of your new console.

People are going to watch and comment on the stuff that is out there, and regardless of IGN's feed quality, I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that the DiRT footage shows the power of the Series X in a good light.

You can criticise Cherno all you want, but the people you should really be criticising are Microsoft for not providing more and batter gameplay footage.

I don't mean explicitly. I meant implicityly. There is no reason whatsoever for him to put so much emphasis on Xbox in a multiplatform game. It's about the total picture. I repeat:

All of this is chosen to attrackt a certain audience and to convey a certain message. It's purposefully misleading.

This is pretty much all the footage we have of a new game running on series X, other than Yakuza. What else is he supposed to do?

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Great video.
People accusing him of bias are a joke. He has zero investement in any gaming company and simply calls it like he sees it.
Maybe you guys should be this critical with "journalists" that get free shit sent to them or take a nice corporate sponsored vacation.
His speculation that it must have something to do with the hardware of the XSX is more than far fetched.

He is as unbiased, as all the people commenting in the Next Gen PS5 x XSX thread...

Codemasters has become a joke to racing fans. They should be held accountable for such bad jobs.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, or something like Bright. This video isn't really a slight on XSX, this game will look as bad on PS5. But people are gonna use it as ammo against Xbox, which just makes them look kind of stupid.
He will probably get sent some of the footage for those games soon, in response to this... I am sure it's a matter of time only.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
His speculation that it must have something to do with the hardware of the XSX is more than far fetched.

He is as unbiased, as all the people commenting in the Next Gen PS5 x XSX thread...
So what is his bias and can you give an example to show it? Being impressed/unimpressed is not a bias.
You also dont have to agree with his speculation.

Last edited:

FranXico

Should've stayed with his awesome game engine series.
These reaction videos are just an attempt to capitalize on the console war and it's a bit unfortunate.

I've been following him for a couple of years now and I get that that first ps5 reaction video got him lots of views, but these videos (imo) do not provide much substance.
He says what he thinks. He also said he was not impressed by TLoU2 and explained why.

Thirty7ven

Banned

It's the same guy that said most of Ratchet and Clank looks like it could be done on this generation. He mentions Xbox because he has said in the past that he doesn't just want to react to PlayStation 5 footage, and has asked for the viewers to send him Xbox footage they want to see him react to.

He's not assuming the PS5 won't look identical, but this is Xbox footage so complain to MS for having the marketing rights to this game.

The only reason you're reacting this way is because you yourself have decided to tie Dirt5 to Xbox. That's marketing for you.

What we should be asking is why DF is pretending like this game is a looker? Oh right, maybe because they made a friend out of the lead engine guy. How so interesting. The game looks like crap, visually.

065.gif

sncvsrtoip

But to be fair, dirt5 is not looking bad on some other video (quite good actually) just for sure not nextgen and it's obvious as it's crossplatform

Top Bottom