• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cherno reacts on Dirt 5 running on XSX ''What can anyone say about this''

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't mean explicitly. I meant implicityly. There is no reason whatsoever for him to put so much emphasis on Xbox in a multiplatform game. It's about the total picture. I repeat:
- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video and 'Is this a mobile game' in the title of the video.
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game. If he's a game engine dev, he should know that there is no reason to assume the PS5 version will perform or look better.
- He chose to mention Halo: Infinite in a video about Dirt 5

All of this is chosen to attrackt a certain audience and to convey a certain message. It's purposefully misleading.
Quit trying to mind read. You're not psychic.

Cherno's been fairly even handed and knows his shit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hate how evolution studios is being shit on in the name of console wars. This is yet another fantastic looking game with lots of dynamic weather and features that made driveclub look so stunning.

This isn't meant to be a next gen game and the fact that it even runs at 120 fps is something incredible since no other game is offering that at launch.

This is yet another example of how quickly fanboys turn on a studio after they go multiplat. Anyone who has played onrush and knows the dynamic weather effects of this game knows how great these games look.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I hate how evolution studios is being shit on in the name of console wars. This is yet another fantastic looking game with lots of dynamic weather and features that made driveclub look so stunning.

This isn't meant to be a next gen game and the fact that it even runs at 120 fps is something incredible since no other game is offering that at launch.

This is yet another example of how quickly fanboys turn on a studio after they go multiplat. Anyone who has played onrush and knows the dynamic weather effects of this game knows how great these games look.

120 fps will be available to 1% - 5% of the people buying the game. The remainder 95% will be staring at an objectively dated looking game.

It's ok for people to be honest.

Stuart360

Yep its one of my most wanted games, and i iactually think the DF footage looked really good.
People are so on edge at the moment that they will use any 'ammo' for console warring.

All_Might

So, in a video about a multiplatform game:
- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video and 'Is this a mobile game' in the title of the video.
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game. If he's a game engine dev, he should know that there is no reason to assume the PS5 version will perform or look better.

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to understand this guy is generously taking advantage of console wars and is catering to fanboys, and giving this guy a podium is a shame.
That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really bad. His involvement in game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.
I understand this paints him in the color of a Sony fanboy, but this dude is usually very neutral. Look at some of the stuff he reviewed from Sony, he tries his best to be very objective and criticize things where it´s needed. What he means when he says I am sry Xbox fanboys is, that he asked his viewers prior to this, in mutliple videos to send him stuff about Xbox Series X, because the Halo video looked really bad. So they send him this, which in all honesty is the next thing we got from Xbox. There simply isn´t much else to show other then BC. I mean Xbox decided to show this off as a presentation of the hardware capabilities of the console, but we all know this isn´t telling what the Series X is capable of. They should show something with a much bigger wow effect, hence his reaction. The fact that this game is optimized for Xbox Series X is the truth and while it will probably looks just as bad, maybe even worse on PlayStation, Sony at least was intelligent enough to know that they should not show this game off as a beacon for next gen and yes this game looks as bad as Halo.
The thing he said about DF and Halo is very true it simply looked bad, it wasn´t "just" lighting or just one thing, the whole scene looked flat and bad from any perspective, hence 343 pushed back the release of the game. Otherwise they simply would have shown another scene and said "look people, the game looks much better in a differently lit scene.", but they didnt. This is not a personal offense against you or anything, its just that you painted this guy as something or someone he usually isn´t.

Kikorin

Poor Dirt 5, looks like a great entry in the series, but is getting lot of hate just because it not looks "next-gen".

Considering it's cross-gen and the series never been a looker, I think it looks fine and gameplay wise seems to offer lot of variety.

SlimySnake

120 fps will be available to 1% - 5% of the people buying the game. The remainder 95% will be staring at an objectively dated looking game.

It's ok for people to be honest.
He's not being honest. He thinks this is a next gen game when it's not. He's so fucking stupid he couldn't even be bothered to check if the game was a next gen game or not. He literally scrolls down and misses the text that it is also coming out on last gen consoles.

And the footage linked to him is from a level that looks awful. He's clearly being trolled and he's falling for it like your grandma falls for political ads.

Aladin

Anything which gets associated with xbox, goes down. They did it to Halo, now they have killed Dirt 5.:lollipop_anguish:

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
He's not being honest. He thinks this is a next gen game when it's not. He's so fucking stupid he couldn't even be bothered to check if the game was a next gen game or not. He literally scrolls down and misses the text that it is also coming out on last gen consoles.

And the footage linked to him is from a level that looks awful. He's clearly being trolled and he's falling for it like your grandma falls for political ads.

Sorry?

It's not a next gen game? Yes it is. You can say it's a cross gen game, but you can't say this is not a next game when it's being marketed as a Xbox Series game, optimized for XSX and coming to PS5. Other cross gen games look much better than this.

The game doesn't look great in any footage release, ANY. And why is it his fault that this level in particular looks like garbo?

Also this phenomenon of outrage against a video like this is clearly a gamer thing. When a movie looks like hot garbage, nobody has a problem saying it.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
The Game doesn't look next-gen, but it looks fine and it in fact can look lovely in the middle of a storm. It also has a decent amount of original features and options, you fanboys are gonna look stupid when it reviews well.

It doesn't surprise me that ign messed things up on their end, who honestly takes them seriously nowadays?!

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
I don't mean explicitly. I meant implicityly. There is no reason whatsoever for him to put so much emphasis on Xbox in a multiplatform game. It's about the total picture. I repeat:

All of this is chosen to attrackt a certain audience and to convey a certain message. It's purposefully misleading.
He has been asking for Series X footage in pretty much all his videos. Said that almost all footage he reacted to has been on PS5.
He mentions Halo because he also thought that looked terrible and so does this.

bitbydeath

It’s strange it looks worse than OnRush though. Maybe it’ll improve over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Sorry?

It's not a next gen game? Yes it is. You can say it's a cross gen game, but you can't say this is not a next game when it's being marketed as a Xbox Series game, optimized for XSX and coming to PS5. Other cross gen games look much better than this.

The game doesn't look great in any footage release, ANY. And why is it his fault that this level in particular looks like garbo?

Also this phenomenon of outrage against a video like this is clearly a gamer thing. When a movie looks like hot garbage, nobody has a problem saying it.
It's not a next gen game. Its a current gen game being ported to next gen consoles. This is fucking idiotic. I don't care how it's being marketed. A fucking developer should know the difference between a current gen game vs a game designed for next gen hardware. All they are doing here is taking a 1080p 30 fps game and running it at native 4k 60 fps.

He spends the entire video pretending it's a next gen series x game being made to on billions of tflops he said. He's being an absolute moron. It would've taken him two seconds to Google the fact that its not a next gen game.

I have never seen a more lazy video by a YouTuber and I've seen some trash. He could've YouTubed another video of dirt 5. But nope. He was just being a lazy cunt.

And i say this as a fan of this channel. This is an absolutely dishonest video. The entire premise is wrong.

Ellery

I agree with the things he is saying and the game clearly doesn't look impressive at all, but there is no reason for me to find fault in Microsoft.

At most I am disappointed, because I really want a Rally game that looks like a jaw dropping next gen showcase, but this multi gen game is clearly not it. Just like with all generations it will take a few years until we are where we want to be graphically. Except for Demon's Souls Remake that game looks banger.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
“This is Dirt compared to Horizon” - Cherno, 2020

source.gif

Hudo

Literally who? I think that this is a solid evolution of the "Onrush"-Engine. And it seems to play well.

Papacheeks

Banned

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to understand this guy is generously taking advantage of console wars and is catering to fanboys, and giving this guy a podium is a shame.
That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really bad. His involvement in game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.

Jesus, please stop.

It's a months old preview build of a game in a video where the creator of said video admitted publicly his capture card messed up and caused tearing, artifacts and only 30fps output.

Cherno did absolutely zero research and instead rushed to title his video "worse than a mobile game" - while disingenuously neglecting to mention it's current gen and continually referencing Series X and Halo despite it literally coming to every platform imaginable.

He's not a Sony fanboy at all, but it's clear he's playing to the crowd for clicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andodalf

Banned
It's a months old preview build of a game in a video where the creator of said video admitted publicly his capture card messed up and caused tearing, artifacts and only 30fps output.

Cherno did absolutely zero research and instead rushed to title his video "worse than a mobile game" - while disingenuously neglecting to mention it's current gen and continually referencing Series X and Halo despite it literally coming to every platform imaginable.

He's not a Sony fanboy at all, but it's clear he's playing to the crowd for clicks.

People on this board heard him say “Sony Good”, and so think he is clearly a genius and completely unbiased tech God

SlimySnake

It’s strange it looks worse than OnRush though. Maybe it’ll improve over the next few weeks.
Nah it looks better. This is just a bad looking level and it ends right when the weather kicks in.

The following is from a 3 month old build, shows off three different levels and has even better dynamic weather than onrush.

Skip to 11:30 to see it in action. But the other two levels look great too. One reminds me of motorstorm Pacific rift and the other reminds me of original motorstorm.. Any true fan of evolution studios and motorstorm games should be defending this game against this kind of misinformation.

FunkMiller

If someone have an opinion about anything console related, is automatically a console warrior.
Yeah, we reached that point.

Seems that way, doesn’t it? The guy has never favoured either console in any video I’ve ever seen him do. He’s criticised both in the past.

Not his fault this gameplay looks like fried shit. It’s Microsoft’s for not putting out anything else that looks better, so the focus drops to a cross gen racing game.

Azurro

Banned

I'm sorry mate, but to be honest you sound really hurt that he doesn't like the Xbox games that people have sent him when both of them look terrible.

The guy is an engine developer, he's explained in the video like 2 or 3 times that he has no allegiances to any platform, he mentions he does the videos for fun, and he's just giving his opinion and the game looks like crap.

He actually asked people to send him videos of games that look good.

SilentUser

Every time I see this game reminds me so much of MotorStorm Pacific Rift and how I miss it haha.

On topic, I think this kind of video is really rude and disrespectful towards the devs and everyone involved. The game is a crossgen and launch title, but still manages to look good enough.

GreyHand23

Other cross gen games look much better so there’s one excuse gone. He says he did no research in the video and he stated why he does no research for any of these videos.

I expected this to be really bad based on the hyperventilating in this thread, but instead I found honest commentary on how genuinely the game doesn’t look that great and he’s still waiting to see something great from XSX. At this point even the hardcore Xbox fanboys should be expecting much more from Microsoft.

GHG

Gold Member

You do realise PC gamers have had access to better looking games than this that also run at 120fps right?

Forza Horizon 4 runs at 120fps on a decent PC and looks much better than this.

I don't understand where this "but it's 120fps" excuse us coming from. It looks subpar, end of.

Papacheeks

Banned
Nah it looks better. This is just a bad looking level and it ends right when the weather kicks in.

The following is from a 3 month old build, shows off three different levels and has even better dynamic weather than onrush.

Skip to 11:30 to see it in action. But the other two levels look great too. One reminds me of motorstorm Pacific rift and the other reminds me of original motorstorm.. Any true fan of evolution studios and motorstorm games should be defending this game against this kind of misinformation.

Outside of the jungle track with some nice reflections on the mudd, and mudd textures kicking up on the card. Nothing in that video looks impressive.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Keep in mind this clown is even trying to downplay how CP2077 looks, calling it outdated & all sorts of things. Whether he's a Sony fanboy or not, who knows, but he's clearly pandering to that audience. Don't expect objectivity from him, it's 100% clickbait with these reaction videos.

Papacheeks

Banned
Better video

It just works- Jeff

Cherno is a dev? More like a asshole who loves creating videos to bait fanboys. What games he worked on? Can someone tell me why Era and Gaf are so fan of this guy? Looks like its very easy to get clicks from Gaf and Era.

Yea that looks about the same as the cherno's sample he was watching. I think some sacrifices were made for 120fps. Unless there's a big day one patch for xbox series x.

Keep in mind this clown is even trying to downplay how CP2077 looks, calling it outdated & all sorts of things. Whether he's a Sony fanboy or not, who knows, but he's clearly pandering to that audience. Don't expect objectivity from him, it's 100% clickbait with these reaction videos.

Guy is a graphics engineer who use to work with DICE/Frostbyte engine a while back. ANd from a engine perspective he's right on Cyberpunk for things like outdated looking animations. Some parts in cyberpunk look flat depending on where you are in the game. overall its a great looking game, but nothing in it lighting/asset wise blows you away.

Last edited:
You do realise PC gamers have had access to better looking games than this that also run at 120fps right?

I don't understand where this "but it's 120fps" excuse us coming from. It looks subpar, end of.
Ya but that pc is not a 500$ PC.

Explain decent pc in terms of specs? Show me a video of that decent pc running it at 120ghz. Dont think you guys realise how demanding 120ghz mode really is.

itsnotme

Please be a lamb and send him something that looks better from Xbox since he doesn't just want to show PS5 videos.

I find it funny how people can 'notice' his bias but when digital foundry does the same thing in their videos where they bring up Xbox and use certain words which have negative connotations to describe the PS5 it isn't an issue and people complaining are PS fanboys but here it's 'hes feeding the console wars'

Other cross gen games look much better so there’s one excuse gone. He says he did no research in the video and he stated why he does no research for any of these videos.

And that excuses being lazy, how?

You completely, and conveniently, ignored the fact Ryan admitted the bad footage was primarily a result of his capture card. Cherno did the same.

Dishonest in both cases.

I expected this to be really bad based on the hyperventilating in this thread, but instead I found honest commentary on how genuinely the game doesn’t look that great and he’s still waiting to see something great from XSX. At this point even the hardcore Xbox fanboys should be expecting much more from Microsoft.

Seeing something great from XsX and Dirt 5 looking bad are two totally different issues. The game is being weaponised as evidence that, somehow, XsX is worse than the One X.

The clickbaity title "worse than a mobile game har har" and disingenuously neglecting to mention it's multiplat and cross-gen, while apologising to Xbox fans (??) and continually referencing Halo, of all games, is absolutely shocking and a clear attempt to cash in on console warriors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senua

He is too harsh IMO. Mobile game? Pff

Cross gen games tend to not look amazing, look at AC Black Flag compared to AC Unity..AC Valhalla is not looking so hot either but I'm sure the proper next gen release will. People need to keep their expectations in check

SlimySnake

I game on 120 fps. You don't have to tell me.

The 120 fps bit wasn't an excuse. This game needs no excuses. It's not a next gen game and this moron is treating this like a next gen game. End of story.

Top Bottom