• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cherno reacts on Dirt 5 running on XSX ''What can anyone say about this''

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Outside of the jungle track with some nice reflections on the mudd, and mudd textures kicking up on the card. Nothing in that video looks impressive.
The snow storm at that end is just as if not more impressive than the already amazing snow levels in driveclub and onrush.

Oh and the latest footage shows snow accumulation on the track literally replacing mud which wasn't in driveclub and is on another level than it was in onrush.

Three

So, in a video about a multiplatform game:
- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video and 'Is this a mobile game' in the title of the video.
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game. If he's a game engine dev, he should know that there is no reason to assume the PS5 version will perform or look better.
- He chose to mention Halo: Infinite in a video about Dirt 5

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to understand this guy is generously taking advantage of console wars and is catering to fanboys, and giving this guy a podium is a shame.
That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really bad. His involvement in game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.
It's because people are pointing to Dirt 5 when people ask for xbox series x gameplay. Watch the first part of the video. It isn't about console wars it's because Xbox series x next gen gameplay videos are scarce and people are pointing to the dirt 5 video.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's a months old preview build of a game in a video where the creator of said video admitted publicly his capture card messed up and caused tearing, artifacts and only 30fps output.

Did you see the video? He then goes on to click the 4k60 link. Two days ago IGN re uploaded the video. It’s in the comments. It’s in the video....

Like, some of you are straight up making BS now.

Rolla

Banned
That was brutally honest and uncomfortable to watch.

I'm really hoping XBSX marketing kicks into gear soon and showcases some jaw dropping SX gameplay. I feel like as an industry, the hype for next gen is deflated when XB isn't on their A game, no pun intended.

Harshly Critiquing cross gen / next gen launch games always seems like a dumb idea, I mean what do you really expect from them. Rarely do we get amazing games that stand out for the generation during the launch period. This game might not be graphically impressive but at least looks like a solid game.

Azurro

Banned
It's the same guy that said most of Ratchet and Clank looks like it could be done on this generation. He mentions Xbox because he has said in the past that he doesn't just want to react to PlayStation 5 footage, and has asked for the viewers to send him Xbox footage they want to see him react to.

He's not assuming the PS5 won't look identical, but this is Xbox footage so complain to MS for having the marketing rights to this game.

The only reason you're reacting this way is because you yourself have decided to tie Dirt5 to Xbox. That's marketing for you.

What we should be asking is why DF is pretending like this game is a looker? Oh right, maybe because they made a friend out of the lead engine guy. How so interesting. The game looks like crap, visually.

Wait, are you serious? Digital Foundry thinks this game looks great? I was not even paying attention to it until today, and the environment in this game looks horrendous, worse than current gen.

Is there any game that looks and performs great on Series X? Because almost all the footage out there is on PC.

SirTerry-T

He certainly knows his audience. Nothing wrong with playing to the crowd, especially if you want to be any sort of presence on social media.
Wouldn't say I agree with some of the points he makes and how he makes them though.
People, opinions..etc.

GHG

Ya but that pc is not a 500$ PC.

Explain decent pc in terms of specs? Show me a video of that decent pc running it at 120ghz. Dont think you guys realise how demanding 120ghz mode really is.

It's not about cost, it's about the power that's available. It doesn't look like they are using the available power efficiently in this game.

You can get FH4 looking better than this and running at 120fps @1440p on GPUs like the RTX 2070.

Meanwhile some people were previously trying to say that you would need a 2080ti or equivalent to match the series X. So what's the problem here? In this case you can either blame the console hardware for not meeting expectations or point the finger at the game. You decide.

Edit:

Quick YouTube search and here's at video of fh4 running at around 120fps at 1440p on a GTX 1080:

And another, this time with a 1080ti:

The 120fps excuse for dirt 5 is categorically bullshit.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
That's like 10x better than Dirt 5.

Fun Fact: This studio has been closed, and the guys working on this game worked on Dirt 5. You know what's the difference? Sony Quality Control.
To be fair Bo, part of the reason Driveclub looked so good because it was locked at 30FPS and they were targeting one device. But still I think Sony were very patient with them and let them focus on getting the visual quality spot on.

It's a shame it doesn't have an unlocked framerate mode as Driveclub on PS5 back compat with 60fps would be immense

Same team did Motorstorm as well and those games were audio-visual masterpieces. It's. shame Sony didn't keep them on to focus on things like Wipeout and GT spin-offs.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Wait, are you serious? Digital Foundry thinks this game looks great? I was not even paying attention to it until today, and the environment in this game looks horrendous, worse than current gen.

Go watch the DF video.

He certainly knows his audience. Nothing wrong with playing to the crowd, especially if you want to be any sort of presence on social media.
Wouldn't say I agree with some of the points he makes and how he makes them though.
People, opinions..etc.

Dev with 13k subs that spends his time teaching c++ and does bit reaction videos from time to time “knows his audience”. Isn’t impressed by TLOU2 and says most of Ratchet could be done on current gen “knows his audience”.

Some of you really try hard. The other guys that promote brands all the time are the ones doing the honest work..

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
I'm trying to figure out why people say "does he think the PS5 looks any different"

No Sherlock, he thinks the game looks like ass on the Series X. That's what was shown, Series X footage looking like ass, again. That's all. Will it look the same on PS5? Most likely, the art style is not gonna change, and the Art Style is ass.

reinking

Gold Member
Xbox fanatics believe they are the most persecuted people that have ever walked the earth. Until they find ammo to be the bully.

This guy goes into his videos blind so he might be a little gullible if someone sends him a link to a bad video. Code masters put that video out so it is fair game. As for the Xbox comments. This game is being heavily marketed by MS and it was Series X footage Easy to see where he focused on Xbox instead of other consoles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To be fair Bo, part of the reason Driveclub looked so good because it was locked at 30FPS and they were targeting one device. But still I think Sony were very patient with them and let them focus on getting the visual quality spot on.

It's a shame it doesn't have an unlocked framerate mode as Driveclub on PS5 back compat with 60fps would be immense

Same team did Motorstorm as well and those games were audio-visual masterpieces. It's. shame Sony didn't keep them on to focus on things like Wipeout and GT spin-offs.

Yup, and see how Codemaster turned them into. But I still have faith on Lucid Games that is making Destruction Allstars they may carry some of those games. I think they've been founded on the ashes of Evolution, as they are as well in the UK, Liverpool to be specific. You might get us some insider details from there, lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Go watch the DF video.

Dev with 13k subs that spends his time teaching c++ and does bit reaction videos from time to time “knows his audience”. Isn’t impressed by TLOU2 and says most of Ratchet could be done on current gen “knows his audience”.

Some of you really try hard. The other guys that promote brands all the time are the ones doing the honest work..
This is his second channel. His main channel has over 250k subs and he doesn't teach anything. He's just making videos about making his own engine and goes into programming on there. He's not a professor or anything.

YouTube is his only source of income. He no longer works at ea or any other studio.

Whitecrow

Banned
Seems that way, doesn’t it? The guy has never favoured either console in any video I’ve ever seen him do. He’s criticised both in the past.

Not his fault this gameplay looks like fried shit. It’s Microsoft’s for not putting out anything else that looks better, so the focus drops to a cross gen racing game.
I would even say that those who bring up wars from nowhere, are more warriors than those who they point out. For sure.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why is this posted in a Dirt 5 thread?

My bad was asking if people with better eyes, and more knowledge than I could look and see whats going on in those pics.

His voice, the way he complains, and his hand gestures all make him come across as an entitled diva.

The dude is a graphics engineer that got these sent to him to cover by his youtube channel?

If there's anyone outside of Digital Foundry that can tell you straight up from a actual game developer perspective graphics wise whats going on in these "Next gen" videos it's him.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yup, and see how Codemaster turned them into. But I still have faith on Lucid Games that is making Destruction Allstars they may carry some of those games. I think they've been founded on the ashes of Evolution, as they are as well in the UK, Liverpool to be specific. You might get us some insider details from there, lol.
I do know a few people that used to work for Sony Liverpool that now work at various places, don't know anyone at Lucid though.

Bankai

I really like his videos and he isn't biased at all. This game looks mediocre at best, that's why they menage to pull of a 120hz mode and have such a focus on FRAMERATE.

I totally understand where he is coming from; the "next-gen fidelity" just isn't there.

The game can still be fun though! But that's not what his video is about, it's about the tech & this game just doesn't impress.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I do know a few people that used to work for Sony Liverpool that now work at various places, don't know anyone at Lucid though.

Sony has closed 2 studios in the UK, thought it was related to taxes and so, but found that Lucid Games is in Liverpool. Then I think Sony has poured a lot of money on those previous ones to make shit straight, and they didn't meet the expectations.

There is another one in Manchester, I think, that is specialized in PSVR?

Papacheeks

Banned
Sony has closed 2 studios in the UK, thought it was related to taxes and so, but found that Lucid Games is in Liverpool. Then I think Sony has poured a lot of money on those previous ones to make shit straight, and they didn't meet the expectations.

There is another one in Manchester, I think, that is specialized in PSVR?

WHich got shut down, and a lot of the talent moved to London Studio, and the reason is they never shipped a game in the 4+ years they had to make a PSVR. They all complained on twitter when they heard the closing of the studio announcement. I guess from what I heard is they did show their project/game to higher ups at SOny, and I think Sony was not impressed with what they had to show for 4 years. London studio was able to push out Blood and truth pretty quickly and started immediately on a new project.

I heard Manchester was shadowing London studio tool wise until they got their barring's, they helped I believe on Blood and truth. But when it came to their project guess it wasn't either super polished or something Sony thought they could market well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
WHich got shut down, and a lot of the talent moved to London Studio, and the reason is they never shipped a game in the 4+ years they had to make a PSVR. They all complained on twitter when they heard the closing of the studio announcement. I guess from what I heard is they did show their project/game to higher ups at SOny, and I think Sony was not impressed with what they had to show for 4 years. London studio was able to push out Blood and truth pretty quickly and started immediately on a new project.

I heard Manchester was shadowing London studio tool wise until they got their barring's, they helped I believe on Blood and truth. But when it came to their project guess it wasn't either super polished or something Sony thought they could market well.

Glad they went into a more unified studio then. I dream of The Getaway reboot!

mrmeh

Watched the Df Dirt video and personally don't think it looks that bad. Does look like Codemasters concentrated on fun and framerate but I don't have an issue with that. What it isn't is a next gen showcase and I dislike people who shit on things for views.

Few things look as good as FH4... best driving game of this gen and Dirt 5 is still a this gen game just as FH4 is when that is tweaked pushed to 60fps on XSX.

Papacheeks

Banned
Glad they went into a more unified studio then. I dream of The Getaway reboot!

You know whats funny about that Getaway remark.......

Rumors are London studio is working on something outside of VR.

Them and some other studio, there were reports/rumors of a getaway revival.

Last edited:

Breakage

My bad was asking if people with better eyes, and more knowledge than I could look and see whats going on in those pics.

The dude is a graphics engineer that got these sent to him to cover by his youtube channel?

If there's anyone outside of Digital Foundry that can tell you straight up from a actual game developer perspective graphics wise whats going on in these "Next gen" videos it's him.
It doesn't matter if he is a graphics engineer. The petty comments he makes about the game from the moment it starts make him look as if he is more interested in getting a reaction than making legitimate points. The way he also feels compelled to refer to his “work” in the industry suggests some kind of insecurity. The diva-ish hand gestures and pink t-shirt don't help.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You know whats funny about that Getaway remark.......

Rumors are London studio is working on something outside of VR.

Them and some other studio, their were reports/rumors of a getaway revival.

The most realistic open world ever. It was so good, and killing a person felt so extreme and you literally have an extremely hard time escaping it! One of my best games of all times.

Screenshot-20201015-175645-You-Tube.png

Lol he clearly trying to bait Xbox fanboys? He do realise its a multiplatform game but still posting it in a way that its Xbox series X exclusive.

I pity who follow this guy lol

Last edited:

Snake00

Let's say you want to sell someone the XSX.
You of course will say that it has 12 tf and is the most powerfull console ever.
Them the other person says: "Awesome! Can you show me how the games that run on it look?"
And then the only thing you can show them is Dirt 5...

Don't blame it on this youtuber. His thumbnail and title are clickbait, but i think what he says in the video is true.
You should blame Microsoft for not showing good looking games that run on XSX.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
- He chose to include the 'Optimized for Series X' logo in the thumbnail of the video and 'Is this a mobile game' in the title of the video.
- He chose to comment 'I'm sorry Xbox people, I really am' while it's a multiplatform game. If he's a game engine dev, he should know that there is no reason to assume the PS5 version will perform or look better.

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to understand this guy is generously taking advantage of console wars and is catering to fanboys, and giving this guy a podium is a shame.
That doesn't mean Dirt 5 doesn't have issues, it does. But the way he chose to convey his message is really bad. His involvement in game development is used to somehow legitimize/ give more weight to what he says, which is even worse.
Chasing dat clout through insecure PS fanboys.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Sure, but I think the larger problem is that there is literally no next-gen-looking gameplay released for XSX at all. This is basically the only extended gameplay on the console that even exists, not counting BC stuff (and Halo).

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
The most realistic open world ever. It was so good, and killing a person felt so extreme and you literally have an extremely hard time escaping it! One of my best games of all times.

i don't know if I would call it best game of all time, but the story/setting, and the car physics at the time with how you broke windows on a PS2 was pretty great.

If they could keep it gritty, and more like a open world Max payne in terms of tone, story telling I think they could have something.

I really like his videos and he isn't biased at all. This game looks mediocre at best, that's why they menage to pull of a 120hz mode and have such a focus on FRAMERATE.

I totally understand where he is coming from; the "next-gen fidelity" just isn't there.

The game can still be fun though! But that's not what his video is about, it's about the tech & this game just doesn't impress.
We all know its current gen. Neither this or Valhalla wow as next gen games as both are on current gen as well.

Problem is the title he used and stuff he post in comments section to trigger fanboys lol.

Dirt 5 not wow in graphics but its also not a mobile game in term of graphics.

skneogaf

So do the fanatics that say drive club looks better than this want driving games to be 1080p 30fps always?

I think some of these studios may want to add a mode in where it will play at 1080p 30fps with everything turned up to eleven so neogaf and the confused kids over at resetera can have a load gifs of it with thunder and lightning looking amazing on their 5 inch phones.

I thought we proved drive club looked good and bad dependent on what was captured nx this game that is by the same people is exactly the same way yet is running at proper resolutions like 4k etc and even fps like 60 or even 120fps.

Sure, but I think the larger problem is that there is literally no next-gen-looking gameplay released for XSX at all. This is basically the only extended gameplay on the console that even exists, not counting BC stuff (and Halo).
Coz next first party games not ready apart from Medium and 3rd party are cross gen.

Its a problem but that doesn't mean it gives ppl right to bash a 3rd party multiplatform game. Its not code masters job to sell you Xbox. They doing what they can do to their best of ability. You do realise they making game for 8 platforms at same time?

Xbox one
One S
ONE X
PS4
PS4 PRO
Series S and X
And PS5
And PC.

You think last of us 2 will look as good as it looks if its on so many platforms?

Last edited:
So do the fanatics that say drive club looks better than this want driving games to be 1080p 30fps always?

I think some of these studios may want to add a mode in where it will play at 1080p 30fps with everything turned up to eleven so neogaf and the confused kids over at resetera can have a load gifs of it with thunder and lightning looking amazing on their 5 inch phones.

I thought we proved drive club looked good and bad dependent on what was captured nx this game that is by the same people is exactly the same way yet is running at proper resolutions like 4k etc and even fps like 60 or even 120fps.
Drive club 1080p30 with 5 cars on track at a time. People who making such dumb comparison are just beyond stupid

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Coz next first party games not ready apart from Medium and 3rd party are cross gen.

Its a problem but that doesn't mean it gives ppl right to bash a 3rd party multiplatform game. Its not code masters job to sell you Xbox. They doing what they can do to their best of ability. You do realise they making 8 platforms at same time?

Xbox one
One S
ONE X
PS4
PS4 PRO
Series S and X
And PS5
And PC.

You think last of us 2 will look as good as it looks if its on so many platforms?

Dirt 5 doesn't really look good for a current gen game either though. The weather effects can look really nice, yes, but other than that the visuals are subpar.

(I'm probably still gonna buy it. I really want something that might scratch that MotorStorm itch.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom