• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cherno reacts on Dirt 5 running on XSX ''What can anyone say about this''

Exactly! @thicc_girls_are_teh_best never drops hot takes, drive bys, etc. He's one of the most unbiased posters on this site! On the other hand azurro does fanboy shit all the time. Someone find me a single post from him that isn't full of blatant fanboyism, and I'll buy you GAF Gold.
Thicc_ wall_is_the_text is not biased? 😂😂😂 He is a known xbox fanboy, but I like his writing thiccness.

skneogaf

4qtSkgO.jpg

Faster loading? 🤔

Raekwon26

You don't get it because you still haven't understand that it isn't his opinion what is being "attacked".

Hell, I'm sure most people agree with the actual analysis of the game. It's the fanboyish clickbait stuff made to frame the Series X because of a multiplatform game the part that is critiziced.
This sounds like a bunch of bullshit tbh.

Killer8

The visuals are a victim of Youtube's dogshit video compression. I downloaded the high quality video from DigitalFoundry's Patreon and it's dramatically better. It's still not impressive, but it's nothing like the clickbait assertion of it looking like "mobile game". It's very much a current-gen game which has just been tweaked and bumped up to 4K60.

Youtube:

dirt5xboxseriesxhandsbokn5.jpg

Patreon:

dirt5xsxearlytest.mp4i0jko.jpg

terraindnkoz.gif

One thing Cherno says in the video is that it's almost like there is no detail beyond a few metres around the car. That's because Youtube compression is destroying it all. This seems more like a game that focuses on a lot of subtle texture detail rather than grandiose lighting effects.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If the comparisons show it running worse on PS5 (as it should) I hope they stand by and call it out as well.

It’s about to get embarrassing around here, for people who didn’t think about this.

If the comparisons show it running worse on PS5 (as it should) I hope they stand by and call it out as well.

It’s about to get embarrassing around here, for people who didn’t think about this.

Who cares what console it runs better on? The performance and visuals are sorta unacceptable, aren't they?

Kagey K

Banned
Who cares what console it runs better on? The performance and visuals are sorta unacceptable, aren't they?
When you watch the trailer in full it doesn’t look that bad to me. It’s only when people pick out the one frame that textures hadn’t loaded yet or tell you that it’s bad do you notice.

I’m never going to see a screen tear on my tv, so that makes no difference and there were a few scenes that did look “next gen“ to me.

I don’t really care about this game so I’m not going to say if they were unacceptable or not, but I expect much more of the same from other games coming soon.

When you watch the trailer in full it doesn’t look that bad to me. It’s only when people pick out the one frame that textures hadn’t loaded yet or tell you that it’s bad do you notice.

I’m never going to see a screen tear on my tv, so that makes no difference and there were a few scenes that did look “next gen“ to me.

I don’t really care about this game so I’m not going to say if they were unacceptable or not, but I expect much more of the same from other games coming soon.

My main concern is framerates. This game was being touted because of the 120 FPS but are these issues sacrifices they made to hit that target, or can a game hit that target without these problems and this game was just rushed or something? Will it be fine at release? I do think some people are taking this and running with it as some console specific victory but I'm not, it concerns me about the industry as a whole and if my concerns have foundation, which they may, it might be another generation where I end up investing heavily in PC gaming.

sendit

My main concern is framerates. This game was being touted because of the 120 FPS but are these issues sacrifices they made to hit that target, or can a game hit that target without these problems and this game was just rushed or something? Will it be fine at release? I do think some people are taking this and running with it as some console specific victory but I'm not, it concerns me about the industry as a whole and if my concerns have foundation, which they may, it might be another generation where I end up investing heavily in PC gaming.

This is the result you get when you're attempting to push extremely high framerates. Regardless of developer talent. This is simply a bandwidth limitation. Even for high end PCs. Additionally, I don't understand why they're even pushing for a 120 FPS option. Most console gamer don't have monitors or TVs with a native refresh rate of 120hz+. A complete waste of development time.

Kagey K

Banned
The push for 120 is hurting visuals, but we have known that forever. That’s why most games stuck with 30 so they could push those visuals.

These cross gen games are upping the ante from 30-60-120 just because they can right now, but in the end we are likely going to end up back at that 30 spot with big effects unless they all agree 60 should be the standard.

Again with VRR and HDMI2.1 holding a steady framerate becomes less of a concern and I hope developers embrace that as well.

borborygmus

Why is everyone lapping this blokes arse?

Apparently he's a super expert even though this field is nowhere near as esoteric as it once was. He's presenting himself as though he has some exclusive pro knowledge when nowadays you could probably take a web developer and turn him into an engine developer in 2 weeks using nothing but Internet tutorials.

I don't like how he presents himself. He seems to think very highly of his status when it's really not impressive in this day and age, nor is his opinion as consequential as he seems to think.

Kagey K

Banned
Apparently he's a super expert even though this field is nowhere near as esoteric as it once was. He's presenting himself as though he has some exclusive pro knowledge when nowadays you could probably take a web developer and turn him into an engine developer in 2 weeks using nothing but Internet tutorials.

I don't like how he presents himself. He seems to think very highly of his status when it's really not impressive in this day and age, nor is his opinion as consequential as he seems to think.
Wait a random guy on the internet with one credit under his belt isn’t reliable?

Say it ain’t so......

borborygmus

What part of the engine did he actually develop?

I don't know but it doesn't matter. Most people who make noteworthy things don't launch self-important reaction channels.

I made something once and didn't launch a channel called "guy who made something once critiques other people trying to make something."

Kagey K

Banned
I don't know but it doesn't matter. Most people who make noteworthy things don't launch self-important reaction channels.

I made something once and didn't launch a channel called "guy who made something once critiques other people trying to make something."
Oh you underestimate human narcissistic tendancies because you don’t have them.

People have launched entire careers off of less.

i mean, the entire film criticism industry is just people who tried making a student film once

Tschumi

I'd like to see some of the people getting very flamey about this dude actually answer his question - what can you say about it? How is he wrong about the way the game looks? I think it's pretty typical to just attack his character when you can't attack his content~ the game looks like a pretty sub-standard entry for my PS3, straight up.

I'd like to see some of the people getting very flamey about this dude actually answer his question - what can you say about it? How is he wrong about the way the game looks? I think it's pretty typical to just attack his character when you can't attack his content~ the game looks like a pretty sub-standard entry for my PS3, straight up.

The problem is he made it console warring with no proof the game looks any different on PS5, I guess. Console warring derails threads about content that's actually innocuous so nevermind when the content is already engaging in it

Tschumi

The problem is he made it console warring with no proof the game looks any different on PS5, I guess. Console warring derails threads about content that's actually innocuous so nevermind when the content is already engaging in it
i'm not trying to be obstinate but i think in his preamble to the video he says that it was suggested to him by someone, and he has been asking for xbox games, so maybe he was under a false impression that it wasn't multiplatform? he doesn't seem to take much of an interest in games outside of looking at the graphics~

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
i'm not trying to be obstinate but i think in his preamble to the video he says that it was suggested to him by someone, and he has been asking for xbox games, so maybe he was under a false impression that it wasn't multiplatform? he doesn't seem to take much of an interest in games outside of looking at the graphics~

The video description has the platforms its on.
He knows its a multiplat, hes just playing into the console war for clicks and love.
Having "Is this a Mobile game" in the title of the video again is him playing into the war, funny considering his real experience is with Mobile games.
He knows its a multiplat, yet he continues to perpetuate this "Sorry Xbox fans" narrative....what do Xbox fans need to be apologized to about a crossgen multiplat not looking as good as last gens FH game?
How can any self respecting graphic critic use a compressed Youtube video to even try judging AF quality?
He is doing a disservice to his own clout with this video.

The racing game he quotes as having worked on is Need for Speed No Limits.
need-for-speed-no-limits-7.jpg:300

Self

What part of the engine did he actually develop?

That part which digital foundry didn't.

Xbox fans need to be apologized to about a crossgen multiplat not looking as good as last gens FH game

Let's be honest dude. Fanboys have constantly broad up Dirt 5 @ 120fps as a showcase of the XSX power advantage. I always wondered why, but well, that's what happend.

Not sure why certain people are taking shots at him in this thread

He said for people to send the most impressive Series X gameplay to him, so just tweet him better looking gameplay on Series X. Simples

Well, that's the real issue, isn't it? There simply are no games looking better then the presented PS5 games. That's not his fault, is it?

Great looking XSX will come and he will critique then fair and square, you'll see.

FranXico

He has been asking for games running on Xbox Series X. Multiplatform or not, is not a major concern. He doesn't care about comparisons at this point either.

martino

The visuals are a victim of Youtube's dogshit video compression. I downloaded the high quality video from DigitalFoundry's Patreon and it's dramatically better. It's still not impressive, but it's nothing like the clickbait assertion of it looking like "mobile game". It's very much a current-gen game which has just been tweaked and bumped up to 4K60.

Youtube:

dirt5xboxseriesxhandsbokn5.jpg

Patreon:

dirt5xsxearlytest.mp4i0jko.jpg

terraindnkoz.gif

One thing Cherno says in the video is that it's almost like there is no detail beyond a few metres around the car. That's because Youtube compression is destroying it all. This seems more like a game that focuses on a lot of subtle texture detail rather than grandiose lighting effects.
not surprised but at the same time that roof is rough....(even for current gen)

Last edited:

Tschumi

The video description has the platforms its on.
He knows its a multiplat, hes just playing into the console war for clicks and love.
Having "Is this a Mobile game" in the title of the video again is him playing into the war, funny considering his real experience is with Mobile games.
He knows its a multiplat, yet he continues to perpetuate this "Sorry Xbox fans" narrative....what do Xbox fans need to be apologized to about a crossgen multiplat not looking as good as last gens FH game?
How can any self respecting graphic critic use a compressed Youtube video to even try judging AF quality?
He is doing a disservice to his own clout with this video.

The racing game he quotes as having worked on is Need for Speed No Limits.
need-for-speed-no-limits-7.jpg:300
>shrug< i reckon you're reading too hard into what he's doing, because you're touchy about ur pet console. but that's okay, and the points u make for me are valid. anyway i'm happy to finish here~ i don't think the guy's as big a douche as you do

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
>shrug< i reckon you're reading too hard into what he's doing, because you're touchy about ur pet console. but that's okay, and the points u make for me are valid. anyway i'm happy to finish here~ i don't think the guy's as big a douche as you do

Touchy.
A good portion of my posts are just when im trying to dig through misinformation or disengious posts about either machine and PC as well. Hell I was in a Control thread not long ago where someone was saying Control must be a badly written game because they couldnt get 4K120fps with everything including RT maxed out.
I dont really have a horse in this race....and i for one am looking forward to Dirt 5 if it has the same fun factor as OnRush another game that wasnt a graphical masterpiece from the same devs but was fun to play.

The "war" was fun when I was twelve, but now its annoying that every thread whether PC/PS/XB devolves into people taking jabs at each others platform of choice, we are barely discussing stuff anymore.

There is no way to NOT read into this video specifically as being someone playing into the war, if it wasnt he wouldnt bother making an apology to Xbox fans now would he? He wouldnt make a comment like "maybe something is going on at Xbox", He wouldnt blame the hardware....all these things are him playing into the war....which is fine, its a personal channel, hes not a journo, and if it gets views why not.
He knew he would get alot of likes from people who want XB to be ground down.
Hes not stupid.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I dont really have a horse in this race....

I look forward to when someone offers him an XSX exclusive that looks good, and we can see him being equally generous about it. Or, you know, a crappy PS3 offering.

... also, as another poster pointed out, i hope he downloads future vids in 4K...

I have just read the recent comments on DF video about Dirt 5. Wow, I am surprised that half of the people are not happy about DF obvious bias, I don't think this has happened before, so much distrust of Digital Foundry. Like some are genuiely asking if this is a real commercial for Dirt 5 (many of them have watched The Cherno video).

But this is deserved. Before the release of Pro, DF were usually doing professionnal videos, biased, but they were still watchable and interesting. But since Sony released the Pro 4 years ago, they have gone too far and almost all their content about Sony hardware and games is almost always about the worst aspect, the negative (or neutral) stuff, constantly, while on the other hand they have being only saying good things about anything Xbox (and XBX) by cherry picking all their content.

TLZ

Banned
Cherno - Doesn't know what he's talking about, no experience, only worked in mobile games, etc.
Alex Buagag - Field expert in pixel counting, super knowledgeable, incredible guy.

And this kids, is why you shouldn't do crystal meth.
Don't forget Odium please.

It’s being sold as a next gen game by codies and that entitles anyone to critiscize it from that perspective.

It’s not marketed as a BC game, it’s not marketed as a port, remake, remaster or in some way worse than a “native” next gen game.

I think everyone would give this game latitude if it just looked like a poor quality late gen, last gen port - but let’s be honest, it looks even for PS4/Xbone from what we’ve seen.

This is how Codemasters marketed it a few months back :
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/inside-xbox-series-x-optimized-dirt-5/

And this is from Codies dirt 5 web page:
2BLGY82.jpg
MV5BMzA0NTc2MWUtNzkxNC00MjU5LWJjN2ItNGM3NWFlZGE1ZWYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM1MzczNjg@._V1_.jpg

Jeez everytime I see something like that it reminds me of this games title screen.

Self

There is no way to NOT read into this video specifically as being someone playing into the war, if it wasnt he wouldnt bother making an apology to Xbox fans now would he? He wouldnt make a comment like "maybe something is going on at Xbox", He wouldnt blame the hardware...

You read to much into it. If someone presented Halo and Dirt 5 to me I would react in the same manner.
Your right when you imply he is unapologetic and not politically correct, but that's a legit way of communicating his impressions of presented material. That's what I like about him. He doesn't beat around the bush.

His slogans are clickbaity, yes. But that doesn't take away anything from his arguments. If Halo would look gorgeous he would be the first to point that out. He just happens to like good tech.

Top Bottom