• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash |OT| Sayonara Chib-Robo! Let's go on one more odd odyssey!

Drago

God damn, I cannot get the candy on 5-5. I'm 100% certain it's in the chest on a floating platform after the indoor section but it's just too high up to reach by jumping and I can't jump on the enemies to get some extra height.

How do you get it?

EDIT: I just jumped on an enemy on a retry and it's super precise. This is gonna be awhile, isn't it...
kill the enemy on the edge of the cliff, then jump onto the floating enemy. I had that problem too until I figured you had to kill the enemy that came before the one you jump on.

Also, make sure you keep yourself airborne with the whip after you jump off the enemy so you can land on the platform. It is super precise, for sure.

kill the enemy on the edge of the cliff, then jump onto the floating enemy. I had that problem too until I figured you had to kill the enemy that came before the one you jump on.

Also, make sure you keep yourself airborne with the whip after you jump off the enemy so you can land on the platform. It is super precise, for sure.

I got it first try after reading this, thank you so much!

Just started collecting all the candy/snacks I missed the first go around along with the costumes. Already logged in about a dozen hours. Good times.

Neifirst

Finished the first 6 worlds yesterday - what a great game! I've got to go back and work on costumes and a few snacks,
plus world 7
, but Yoshi's Woolly World is still sitting here unopened.

Velcro Fly

There are just certain segments of this game that feel like they were designed by someone else completely and just feel off. Vehicle segments for sure are all terrible and frustrating and bad.

And of course it's never explained in 3-2 that red orbs are turbo and not things that harm you. Maybe I'm just dumb :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH, the skateboarding in 5-5 should NOT be this frustrating. Even worse when you just wanna restart the stage but NOPE HAVE SOME POINTLESS TIDBITS YOU ALREADY KNEW ABOUT.

I can't seem to reach the treasure chest that appears not long after reaching the 3rd screen....*sees previous post* I tried that, but guess I wasn't precise enough.

Velcro Fly

Feel almost bad blasting through levels as quick as I am. All of World 3 yesterday. All of World 4 today. Going to eventually go back and get everything I've missed.

The balloon level in world 4 was easier for me than the one in World 1.

This game is surprisingly fun. I still can't believe how many collectibles and things they crammed into this game. I bet it will take 20 hours at least to get everything.

LOL if you quit a boss battle before beating it the game makes you play a level instead. What a shit fucking design this destination wheel is. My god I don't want to play a level I beat and collected everything. God damn this game is fun but some of these design choices feel like they were made by someone who hates you for wanting to play the game.

SalvaPot

I really like the game, it has the charm of a Kirby game and its not as easy as it looks, it actually gives a nice challenge.

Only complain I have is the Destination wheel, what is the point of it if there is no reason to skip levels? You have to complete them anyway, and its pointless once you have beaten all the levels anyway, its a really dumb choice. It could be useful if you could skip levels but you can´t.

I travel a bit to visit family for the holidays, and usually pack a handheld (3DS or Vita) to occupy me on my stays. I like an easy, pick-up-and-play type of game, which usually comes in the form of a short-but-sweet platformer. This looks to be a good candidate.

Does GAF agree, or should I look elsewhere?

Velcro Fly

On the final boss and

I guess I just tank hits? All six things drop beams that pull me up and I have no clue how to avoid it. It hits me every single time for like 200. I've tried crouching. I've tried rolling. Either I get stuck and sucked up or just plain get sucked up. I have no idea what to do. The boss is so easy other than the instant 200 damage every phase bullshit. Really frustrating.

edit: i'm fucking dumbbbbbbbb oh my god

just finished the game. now to collect everything! my amiibo is not quite level 5 yet!

I scanned some other amiibo and the game said something about unlocking a special pose or maybe a capsule or whatever, but I can't find it anywhere. Help?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
When you scan the Chibi-Robo amiibo while in the ship, you bring up a capsule machine that unlocks figurines of different poses. When you level the amiibo up by completing stages, you can unlock more rare figures.

Letting it sink in after beating the game, the additional world was a nice step up in difficulty, but disappointing that 2 of the stages are more tedious versions of previous bosses. & the additional outfits were kind of disappointing, especially when you find the World 6 Nintendo themed outfit.

Overall, I'm still glad I played the game, but it feels like one of those "well I've got nothing else to play & there's still a while before a new game comes out" games. Not bad per say, but only really recommendable when you've got nothing else or need something to pass the time before the next release.

Overall, I'm still glad I played the game, but it feels like one of those "well I've got nothing else to play & there's still a while before a new game comes out" games. Not bad per say, but only really recommendable when you've got nothing else or need something to pass the time before the next release.

I can agree with this. I just made it to Antarctica, and it's made for a pretty good "before bed" kind of game. Noting super intense (except a boss or vehicle level or two), but takes enough focus and thought to keep your mind occupied. I'm glad I got it, but if something better came along, I wouldn't hesitate to put it on the back burner.

Robin64

This should arrive tomorrow!

Looking at the US Miiverse for this, there seems to be a LOT of US food in there. Charms Blow Pops, Pocky Chocolate, Tootsie Roll Midgees.. I do wonder if the UK version will have UK food instead, or if it's such low budget they just didn't bother.

TheMoon

Looking at the US Miiverse for this, there seems to be a LOT of US food in there. Charms Blow Pops, Pocky Chocolate, Tootsie Roll Midgees.. I do wonder if the UK version will have UK food instead, or if it's such low budget they just didn't bother.

We already know they have German stuff in the US version (Eiskonfekt) so I assume it's just a big ol' mix all around the world without specialized brands for each region.

It has candy from all over. I think miiverse is just heavy on the American candy because we're more excited to see the candy we know. :p It seems like it's mostly American, German, and Japanese though.

I forgot to report in but I 100%'d the game last week! Well, 100% for now. I only need to scan in Falco when he comes in a couple weeks from now and hope I get him with the 13K in moolah I have and then I'll have 100% for real.

Robin64

We already know they have German stuff in the US version (Eiskonfekt) so I assume it's just a big ol' mix all around the world without specialized brands for each region.

It has candy from all over. I think miiverse is just heavy on the American candy because we're more excited to see the candy we know. :p It seems like it's mostly American, German, and Japanese though.

Ah, okay. That makes sense!

Mcdohl

Just finished the game.

I found it pretty enjoyable (great commute game :p). No, but seriously, I liked it more than I expected. Game's full of charm.

Yeah...as I bet a lot of reviewers and people have pointed out before...the roulette system to advance levels suck. It's easy to not screw up, but still, it was unnecessary stress at the end of each level.

I got the stage 6-4 song stuck on my head so badly. Too bad I can't find it on YT!

Most OSTs can be found on YouTube nowadays, but not this one D:

Is this game that unpopular?

I like this game quite a bit. I wonder if maybe the series shouldn't be given to someone else to work on though. All of the games since the original have had some weird features that make me think the developers believe that Chibi Robo as a series needs to be slow and convoluted. I don't get it.

Mcdohl

It's reviews like these that make me glad I did not get this game.

That review is way too harsh. Average reviews put the game in a more average light (which I agree more with).

It's not a bad game, and imo controls and level designs are not bad, but to each his own.

Nevertheless, being honest, this is definitely not a must play.

That review is way too harsh. Average reviews put the game in a more average light (which I agree more with).

It's not a bad game, and imo controls and level designs are not bad, but to each his own.

Nevertheless, being honest, this is definitely not a must play.

Thanks for clarifying. I was honestly planning on buying the game but decided not to when I heard about the destination wheel, and saw the reviews and some impressions. I may end up getting it someday, maybe. I do have a few other platformer games I could replay though.

randomkid

Thanks for clarifying. I was honestly planning on buying the game but decided not to when I heard about the destination wheel, and saw the reviews and some impressions. I may end up getting it someday, maybe. I do have a few other platformer games I could replay though.

The destination wheel is a non-factor. The reason you shouldn't prioritize getting the game is the general sluggishness and mediocre to bad design of everything else.

Robin64

So it arrived, and I kind of like it. It's a really nice little game for casually playing on the sofa on a dark cold evening. The amiibo usage is neat, too.

Destination wheel isn't really a big deal since you can guarantee that you get the next stage every time you spin it. It just takes a little while to get through so it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Robin64

My biggest gripe thus far is just one of "world", really. I haven't felt like I'm a tiny robot yet, given all the enemies are the same size too and there hasn't really been much in the way of giant landmarks to gauge against.

I've been playing this all evening. Being a slower paced, more methodical platformer doesn't make is sluggish. The whole point is finding all the stuff in a level, this isn't Sonic. The level design is no worse than your average Mario game.

I'm really enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. It has all the charm of a Chibi Robo game, only in 2D. Unfortunately, this will be overlooked by people. A shame.

I've been playing this all evening. Being a slower paced, more methodical platformer doesn't make is sluggish. The whole point is finding all the stuff in a level, this isn't Sonic. The level design is no worse than your average Mario game.

I'm really enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. It has all the charm of a Chibi Robo game, only in 2D. Unfortunately, this will be overlooked by people. A shame.
I agree with this, I've been traveling a lot lately and I really enjoyed taking this out and finding everything in one or two worlds between naps.

Biggest problems are some of the vehicle stages and stuff that seems to be put in just to frustrate you, like the toy speeches being unskippable, the destination wheel, and the costume quests if you didn't just cheat and look up the codes online.

Mcdohl

Forget the spin wheel, the fucking toy plane is the cancerous boil on this game's anus.

Lol. He was an odd fellow.

Are you enjoying the game?

If you're on World 3-4 or World 3 boss...
I will say that the submarine is the worst part of this game, by far

My biggest gripe thus far is just one of "world", really. I haven't felt like I'm a tiny robot yet, given all the enemies are the same size too and there hasn't really been much in the way of giant landmarks to gauge against.

Definitely a lost opportunity there, but you will come across some tiny robot moments in later worlds.

I gotta say, World 4 was pretty impressive. I feel like the platforming and zip lash mechanics stepped up for sure and it just feels good to play.

Can you unlock
World 7
without a Chibi-Robo amiibo? I know it is unlocked by capsule machine, which is unlocked by amiibo, but I've heard something about
infinite capsule machine
which is given to you after finishing all main worlds. Is it given without an amiibo?

EDIT: Nevermind - you can't... curse you, Nintendo :(

Tizoc

Can someone explain to me why the heck there's a roulette wheel for? do I really have to do this all the time?

Simbabbad

Holy cow the skateboarding level is horrible. The gameplay itself is OK, but the lack of checkpoint and how painful retrying is ruin everything. I'm starting to think I won't 100% this game, and will sell it when I'm done with it. Such a shame, I loved Chibi-Robo on GameCube, why make such an average platformer (with terrible decisions) out of it?

Mr-Joker

Banned
I played Chibi Robo Zip Lash when it lauched in the UK and I agree with people that it's a mediocre game.

However the game does have some good point, along with charm but it's also riddle with bad ideas like the dumb wheel.

I also don't feel that the real world food is integrated well into the game, Pikmin 2 did it better and not in your face about it.

While I haven't finished this game, I plan to go back to it after I have finished Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, I feel that Chibi Robo Zip Lash could have benefited from extra cooking time.

Tizoc

You don't have to do it once you've cleared all the levels in a world, you can just go to any you want.

But why do I gotta do it after finishing a stage? Who thought this was a good idea? Was this in the older Chibi Robo games? Just let me go to the next stage and make the wheel thing for like bonus score or some shit.
Otherwise I'm enjoying its slow calm pace so far.

Mr-Joker

Banned
But why do I gotta do it after finishing a stage? Who thought this was a good idea? Was this in the older Chibi Robo games? Just let me go to the next stage and make the wheel thing for like bonus score or some shit.
Otherwise I'm enjoying its slow calm pace so far.

Honestly the wheel just feels like a way to artificially extend gameplay time, since you need to defeat the boss to move to the next world and the only way you can do that is finishing all levels.

I believe that the wheel could have worked but as an extra challenge mode, like finish the level with half health, and would only be unlocked after you have completed the level normally.

Simbabbad

In reality the wheel isn't an issue because you basically never get it wrong. It adds nothing, it takes away nothing, it's just something incomprehensible that docks points in reviews for no reason. Other decisions are similarly puzzling, as said in this thread.

me0wish

Hey, I'm glad to see you're back to enjoying it more again! How's it been going?

Sorry for the late reply, I've decided to give my full opinion about the game when I'm done with it, it took me ages to get through the game, I've been busy with life and actually the game is pretty

I'm really disappointed by the game, the levels feel very "samey" as they are all composed of "blocks" none of the levels feel "organic" and they start to feel tedious to finish, the level design is bland and uninspired, there is hardly any platforming to be done and whatever platforming there is, is quite meh, the pacing is terrible, collecting things is a chore, and adding the wheel to the mix, makes collecting even more annoying.

On the plus side, the game has a very detailed world, with cute characters, and well written dialog, the problem is, those characters aren't a part of the overall story like in other Chibi-Robo games and play no role at all other than being NPCs that you deliver collectibles to, so interaction with the characters/world is kept at minimum.

The game has solid game play mechanics, creative bosses, awesome music, nice graphics, and an adorable cast of characters, I even enjoyed the vehicle levels, but all that doesn't save it from being an overall mediocre experience that is riddled with questionable design choices and terrible level design. It's painful to say this, but as a huge Chibi-Robo fan, I think maybe killing off the IP isn't a bad idea. Definitely avoid this game.

Does World 7 have a boss to unlock? No wheel to spin and the capsule machine ain't giving one. If not, looks like I'm done with the game for now. Surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom