• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash |OT| Sayonara Chib-Robo! Let's go on one more odd odyssey!

TheMoon

cr20kqy.jpg

Developed by: Skip Ltd. & Vanpool
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: October 8, 2015 (JP) / October 9, 2015 (NA) / November 6, 2015 (PAL)
Genre: 2D Platformer
amiibo: Yes (main feature: Chibi-Robo! + other amiibo unlock coins)
eShop download file size in blocks: 8,200 blocks (about 1GB)

gameplay1psxg.png

Zip Lash is a 2D platformer at its core. The main thing is Chibi-Robo's ability to use his power plug as a weapon and traversal tool to latch onto things and swing around. This is also used to solve puzzles. You can extend the length of the cord by finding pickups in the levels.

There are lots of real-life collectibles in the game that are based on actual brands. The worlds are based on different regions of Earth and you can collect sweets and snacks from different places. These can be given to NPCs in the levels to get costume rewards.

One thing everyone will find annoying: The Destination Wheel. At the end of each level you have to spin a wheel to determine which level you go to next. You can manipulate this wheel by spending the in-game cash you find all through the levels. There's plenty of that so there's no reason to actually worry about this, it simply amounts to an unnecessary annoyance.

Another way besides using the in-game currency to manipulate the wheel is:
If you land on a spot in the destination wheel you do not want, press home and restart, you'll be able to try again.

Scanning the Chibi-Robo! amiibo unlocks the Chibi-Capsule vending machine and power up Chibi-Robo! once per day to turn him into Super Chibi-Robo! for a short time.

Located in the Chibi-House, this fun machine can only be accessed using the amiibo figure and unlocks items such as collectable in-game figurines and bonus stages. Additionally, players can also use other amiibo figures once each per day to earn spendable in-game coins.

Players can even level up the Chibi-Robo amiibo itself by recording in-game score data. By doing so, the number of times Super Chibi-Robo can be used per day will increase, starting from once a day and increasing as the amiibo levels up. Higher levels will also increase the likelihood of being able to unlock rarer items from the Chibi-Capsule vending machine.

The Chibi-Robo! amiibo can only be bought in the special bundle with the retail copy of the game in North America. In PAL regions, the amiibo will also be available separately. It's also available separately in Japan.

media0euc4.png

Overview Trailer (English): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP2u6E1CCeI

reviewsgmoai.png

maxcriden collected some reviews here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181077766&postcount=268

GameXplain's review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlK7UxFXxWs

And nobody told me there was a dedicated review thread. Go here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1122208

costumeskfsp8.png

I'll be collecting the costume codes here.

W-1
1-1: 90841
1-2: 31389
1-3: 08201
1-4: 28382
1-5: None
1-6: 22801

W-2
2-1: 87164
2-2: 73396
2-3: None
2-4: 65465
2-5: 62985
2-6: 53612

W-3:
3-1: 46177
3-2: None
3-3: 11156
3-4: 86229
3-5: 53540
3-6: 45379

W-4:
4-1: 38655
4-2: 49787
4-3: 57749
4-4: None
4-5: 15626
4-6: 17885

W-5:
5-1: 78313
5-2: 64387
5-3: 35702
5-4: 73231
5-5: None
5-6: 76344

W-6:

6-1: 33215
6-2: 38060
6-3: None
6-4: 22399
6-5: 19303
6-6: 45522

W-7:
7-1: 48087
7-2: 72799
7-3: 53666
7-4: 46482
7-5: None
7-6: None

TheMoon

just a quick and dirty OT because I'm a little under the weather still. If you find there's crucial stuff missing, let me know.

atomsk

Party Pooper
After you die twice you can just spend currency to skip a stage.

This is the only thing keeping me going on account of the terrible vehicle stages.

About halfway through and wondering what the Best Buy trade-in value is.

RIP Chibi Robo.

Camjo-Z

Hooray, an OT!

To start things off, I found some outfit codes on Miiverse. I'm not totally sure how this stuff works, but apparently when rescuing aliens or something you sometimes get one part of a code? Anyway, you're supposed to post your number to Miiverse, and then piece the whole code together using other people's numbers. When you go to the Chibi-PC and input the codes, it unlocks an outfit, which you can then obtain by going to that level and rescuing the alien one more time.

1-1 90841
1-2 31389
1-3 08201
1-4 28382
1-6 22801

Kinsei

Banned
I think there should be a section in the OT to collect the level costume codes.

The first number of the 2-2 code is 7.

me0wish

Thanks for the OT! Awesome game! Can someone add Chibi-Robo into my avatar please? Anywhere any how, would greatly appreciate it.

Eyothrie

I didn't have high expectations for the game. Have to say that I'm happily surprised. I'm really enjoying the platforming.

Camjo-Z

I have a pro tip to make the game more fun: USE THE L BUTTON! Chibi's zip and whip lash animations can be cancelled, which saves a lot of time. For example, when using his whip lash to float in the air, you don't have to have him attack every time. Just press the L button and he'll immediately begin falling. And if you miscalculate your zip lash aim or are just trying to grab an item, don't sit around waiting, just press L!

Also, the R button roll makes Chibi move a lot faster than his normal walking speed. You can use it to trip up Chibi-Tots and make them easy to grab too.

Thanks for the thread The Moon. You made something nice don't worry, still I'm sad because it may be my last adventure with Chibi-Robo :'(

I hope I'll enjoy the game. After all last one or not the most important thing is what I'm playing now not what I may or may not play in a few years.

Been hearing some mixed things about the game, but I pretty much had to support it if it really is going to be Chibi's last game. Having a cute little amiibo of him come with it didn't hurt either.

Tizoc

Nice nod to Umihara Kuwase (sp) ;)

I'm getting this by next month as I ordered the EU amiibo+game bundle :D

AdanVC

Don't give up Chibi chibi! We don't want you to join the group of forgotten Nintendo characters like Samus and Captain Falcon :(

After you die twice you can just spend currency to skip a stage.

This is the only thing keeping me going on account of the terrible vehicle stages.

About halfway through and wondering what the Best Buy trade-in value is.

RIP Chibi Robo.

I was ready to commit Chibisudoku on that damn balloon level. Jesus christ that mechanic doesn't work right. And especially with 3 hits and you're dead.

The game is fun overall, but some of the puzzles seem a bit oddly made or just a huge pain for no reason (those number ones got me because i wasn't paying attention)

I think by far the best selling point of the game is the Chibi Amiibo. It's absolutely perfect in just about every way. Super Chibi is nice, but I'd have liked more support for the other amiibos besides just 50 coins. Oh, all the animal crossing cards work with it too, besides the Smash/MP ones and whatever.

I'd have loved a big open world to explore and it's nice they keep some of the things like grabbing trash in the game. I'd have liked a bit more variety to I think with the ziplash..or just have that and not the dumb shorter one.

tim1138

I finished the first world this morning (damn you balloon level!) and am enjoying the game, but I really wish it was in the style of the original GCN game. What I wouldn't give for a HD remaster of the first one...

The amiibo looks great, probably my favorite one I own other than Mega Man.

Camjo-Z

Super Chibi is nice, but I'd have liked more support for the other amiibos besides just 50 coins. Oh, all the animal crossing cards work with it too, besides the Smash/MP ones and whatever.

I don't know about the AC cards, but most of the other amiibo unlock a figure pose in addition to the coins.

Looks like most are enjoying the game. I got my bundle yesterday but haven't been able to play it yet.

I hope it's not the latest Chibi Robo game we get. Though I fear we won't get another Chibi Robo game like the Gamecube game :(

This game is so mediocre.

I'd put it one notch above mediocre and call it decent. 6/10. It's fun, it's simple, but nothing special.

One thing that's bugging me is how much the devs failed to convey the feeling of being a tiny robot via environmental design and shit. Just kinda feels like a plain old regular sized robot 90% of the time.

Does anyone know if the amiibo works with any other games? Super Mario Maker, Smash, whatever? This dude is my first amiibo.

Holy shit, Nintendo needs to make the Gamecube game available digitally, it's expenseive.

Drago

Hey cool, we finally have an OT :)

Looks like most are enjoying the game. I got my bundle yesterday but haven't been able to play it yet.

I hope it's not the latest Chibi Robo game we get. Though I fear we won't get another Chibi Robo game like the Gamecube game :(
Well, we can always hope for a team out there to do a fantranslation of the third game someday, the one that was a sequel to the original. There was a group that tried already but they gave up due to IIRC a lack of interest and skill, unfortunately...

I was getting worried that there wouldn't be a OT for this game, glad someone finally made it.

Here are a couple more Outfit ID#s:
2-2: 73396 (can't verify this yet but came from the same source as the 2-1 code, which does work)

Camjo-Z

Does anyone know if the amiibo works with any other games? Super Mario Maker, Smash, whatever? This dude is my first amiibo.

It also works with Mario Maker, you can unlock a Chibi-Robo skin to play with.

I was getting worried that there wouldn't be a OT for this game, glad someone finally made it.

Here are a couple more Outfit ID#s:
2-2: 73396 (can't verify this yet but came from the same source as the 2-1 code, which does work)

Can confirm the second one works.

Man, you'd think the Love-de-Lic legends of Skip and Vanpool with their powers combined would make such a killer and creative game, sad that it ended up being like this. :(

Wonder what Kenichi Nishi would've done had he been involved with the game.

RIP Chibi Robo

Please take all the shitty spin-offs along with you, we won't miss them, but we will forever treasure your original adventure on Game Cube.

I'm learning Japanese right now, so in a few years we will meet again in Welcome Home Chibi Robo.

... one last time.

qS8tGL1.gif

olimpia84

I'm still very early in the game and I like it quite a bit. The gameplay is different enough from other platformers and makes the game unique although some parts can be frustrating.

Velcro Fly

Just beat 1-1

I have no idea how many of the collectibles I can and can't get on the first go so I'm just going to plow ahead unless there is something super obvious I've missed. Gameplay seems really fun so far. About what I wanted out of a 2D platformer these days.

Amiibo functionality definitely adds to the game big time I feel. I'd feel like I was getting left out had I not sprung for the bundle.

Kinsei

Banned
Just beat 1-1

I have no idea how many of the collectibles I can and can't get on the first go so I'm just going to plow ahead unless there is something super obvious I've missed. Gameplay seems really fun so far. About what I wanted out of a 2D platformer these days.

You can get everything except the costume on your first run.

Glad someone made an OT. I'm halfway through world 2 and really enjoying it. I'll poke my head back in here after I finish up the main stages.

maxcriden

Thanks for the OT! Awesome game! Can someone add Chibi-Robo into my avatar please? Anywhere any how, would greatly appreciate it.

Hey, I'm glad to see you're back to enjoying it more again! How's it been going?

Hey cool, we finally have an OT :)

Well, we can always hope for a team out there to do a fantranslation of the third game someday, the one that was a sequel to the original. There was a group that tried already but they gave up due to IIRC a lack of interest and skill, unfortunately...

I'm studying Japanese very hard. There is an AlphaDream game someone asked me to translate. The one they made before Mario & Luigi. If I am fluent and nobody has done a fan translation for CR3 yet, I will be glad to.

Got a new ID, can't verify this one either but I'll try to verify anything IDs I post in the future:

2-4: 65465

I'm studying Japanese very hard. There is an AlphaDream game someone asked me to translate. The one they made before Mario & Luigi. If I am fluent and nobody has done a fan translation for CR3 yet, I will be glad to.

Tomato Adventure, right? I've always been interested in it because AlphaDream made it.

olimpia84

Any reason why you would want to get a number greater than 1 in that wheel at the end of each level? Wouldn't scoring a 2 or 3 make you skip levels?

Hey, I'm glad to see you're back to enjoying it more again! How's it been going?

You should also translate the first Rocket Slime game on GBA. :v

Any reason why you would want to get a number greater than 1 in that wheel at the end of each level? Wouldn't scoring a 2 or 3 make you skip levels?

You can complete levels out of order but you still have to clear all 6 levels of a world in order to fight the boss. You go around a circle so you'll end up back at older levels eventually if you get more than a 1 on the Destination Wheel.

Drago

That would be amazing. :O

It's one of the games I most want to see get a fan translation!

Velcro Fly

So uh

How do you control the balloons

Because the quick thing that flashed on screen was not helpful at all and I died to pretty much the first few enemies because I kept getting hit.

oh my fucking god who designed this.

Ok got the hang of it finally. I can't even believe there isn't a tutorial for how clunky that controls when you don't know about it. God damn that was rough. Almost got everything in the level though! Was definitely not bad once I got the hang of it.

Drago

So uh

How do you control the balloons

Because the quick thing that flashed on screen was not helpful at all and I died to pretty much the first few enemies because I kept getting hit.
You keep moving up automatically. Swinging left or right moves you down. I just did light swings in one direction and I was able to control myself somewhat well, wish they would've just let you hold down to go down.

Top Bottom