• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash |OT| Sayonara Chib-Robo! Let's go on one more odd odyssey!

Velcro Fly

Am I to assume the Chibi Robo amiibo has
3 levels? Wood, silver, and then gold?

Just finished world 1 and I can
finally choose a level there whenever I want to!

What happens if you run out of Watts on the ship? I'm in no danger of that but is there a penalty or something?

I'd say so far this game is firmly in the mix of 2D platformers on the 3DS. Maybe not as good as Triple Deluxe, but certainly competent and well worth the purchase if 2D platformers or Chibi Robo are your thing.

Impotaku

New wallpaper, it's so cuuute. Will be staying for a while on my 3DS.
HNI_0018.JPG

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The toy capsule machine is tedious, I'm guessing you have to unlock the common before rares start to show up?
Pretty sure. Level 2, uncommon will appear, then level 3 will be rare, & so forth.

Actually, hold on, I compiled a list of 40+ amiibo & the rarity of unlocking their figure poses. Let me find it & post it.

Edit: here we go:

Finally finished scanning all my amiibo into Chibi-Robo. 3rd party characters just give you 100 coins. You can only scan 20 amiibo per day to get coins, meaning you can get 2,000 per day if you want to deal with the tedious task of scanning 20 amiibo. However, you can continue scanning amiibo to unlock figures.

So from what I've scanned of my 40+ amiibo:

Uncommon:
- Link (I would guess Toon Link counts as well)
- Mario (8-bit & Dr. Mario still gave me 100 coins each, but I assume also counts as Mario)
- Yoshi (I will assume Wool Yoshi next week will be the same)
- Donkey Kong
- Fox
- Olimar
- Pit
- Kirby
- Captain Falcon

Rare:
- Zelda
- Luigi
- Bowser
- Peach
- Rosalina
- Samus (guessing Zero Suit Samus counts as well)
- Toad
- Diddy Kong
- Palutena
- Marth

Super Rare:
- Sheik
- Inkling Girl
- Dark Pit
- King Dedede
- Super Rare

Mega Rare:
- Ganondorf
- Inkling Boy
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Meta Knight
- Shulk

Ridiculously Rare:
- Inkling Squid
- Ness
- Duck Hunt
- Mr. Game & Watch
- R.O.B
- Little Mac
Originally thought they meant the rarity of the figures, but then I learned it meant the rarity of getting the pose from the capsule.

zigg

FYI, you get a full costume if you trip the RNG just right with the lost aliens, not a single code digit. I haven't entered any codes yet.

hawk2025

I'm confused on two things I'm seeing on this thread that I haven't seen in-game yet:

- Capsule machine: What? When does this unlock, is it after world 2? I did scan the Amiibo in.
- Capturing Aliens? When/where/how/ do they show up?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Scan the Chibi-Robo amiibo while in the hub to make it appear. & when you replay a stage, there'll be these aliens you can grab to take to those platforms as shown above. They won't appear on your first playthrough of a stage, though.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm confused on two things I'm seeing on this thread that I haven't seen in-game yet:

- Capsule machine: What? When does this unlock, is it after world 2? I did scan the Amiibo in.

Capsule Machine: Tap the amiibo button on the bottom screen while in the HUB.
Capturing Aliens: Return to any non-vehicle level after beating the world. You see those totem things in the levels? That's what they're for.

hawk2025

Scan the Chibi-Robo amiibo while in the hub to make it appear. & when you replay a stage, there'll be these aliens you can grab to take to those platforms as shown above. They won't appear on your first playthrough of a stage, though.

Aaahh, it's not enough to scan him on the level-end screen. Got it!

Edit: Thanks to all :)

Velcro Fly

If you scan your Chibi Robo amiibo in the spaceship thing before you depart for levels the capsule machine comes up where you can buy stuff

Aliens appear in levels on your second playthrough. With the right code you can get an outfit for saving them. Otherwise it's random and you can get coins, a number for the code, or if you get really lucky I guess you can get the outfit. Having the code eliminates the RNG element.

edit: beaten!

Brofield

I was really hoping the reviews would prove me wrong in my gut instinct, but I feel that I would play it for an hour, if that, once, and promptly never touch it again.

RIP Chibi Robo, as far as I'm concerned I'm still waiting for your first sequel.

Camjo-Z

Finally beat the game. Good news for capsule figure hunters: finishing the game lets you use the machine for as long as you want without having to complete a level to restock.

I've still yet to see any bonus stages from it though. Maybe they only unlock when you get to Level 6 with the amiibo or something? I'll find out eventually.

1upsuper

I'll pick this up...eventually. Looks fun, and I enjoyed the first two games in the series. Also, great thread title -- Umihara Kawase is fantastic.

Skrams

Costume 4-3 is 57749

I cheesed it out since there was only 2 digits needed.

Edit- Cheesed 4-2 as well. It's 49787.

Finally beat the game. Good news for capsule figure hunters: finishing the game lets you use the machine for as long as you want without having to complete a level to restock.

I've still yet to see any bonus stages from it though. Maybe they only unlock when you get to Level 6 with the amiibo or something? I'll find out eventually.

Good to know. I guess the only restrict it so you don't fuck yourself out of ending money requirements. I at least have 15k coins right now, so I think I'll be fine by end game since I'm at 4-6.

I'm going off the back of the box, but it makes it sound like you get bonus stages from the capsules. Maybe it's a random drop like anything else. Maybe the in game manual clears it up more.

Also full costume code list and numbers so far

W-1
1-1: 90841
1-2: 31389
1-3: 08201
1-4: 28382
1-5: None
1-6: 22801

W-2
2-1: 87164
2-2: 73396
2-3: None
2-4: 65465
2-5: 62985
2-6: 53612

W-3:
3-1: 46177
3-2: None
3-3: 11156
3-4: 86229
3-5: 53540
3-6: 45379

W-4:
4-1: 38655
4-2: 49787
4-3: 57749
4-4: None
4-5: 1---6
4-6: 1----

W-5:
5-1: -8---
5-2: 6----

Kinsei

Banned
The world 5 boss is really interesting. I love it when games take an mechanic you've been using since the beginning and then turn them on their head by making you use them in a situation you never have before (in this case a boss fight).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's... Terrible. So its only possible to get all the figurines if I mail my cart to zonic?
You technically unlock the ability to get them from the capsule. You still have to hope that the game will give it to you.

Also, this is one of those games that writes data to the amiibo (mainly leveling up for extra uses of Super Chibi-Robo & unlocking rarer figures), so I don't know if scanning to unlock the figures would work on a different copy since the amiibo is registered to my New 3DS XL.

Camjo-Z

That's... Terrible. So its only possible to get all the figurines if I mail my cart to zonic?

Yes, I suppose. It's not really a huge deal, it's meant to be more of a "here's a bonus for having other amiibo!" than a "don't have every single amiibo? up yours" type of thing.

And yes, the Chibi amiibos are tied to one specific game, so... you'd have to have one of those and level it up fully to be able to unlock all of the figures anyway!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have to say, despite the original shock of candy product placement (& to be fair, didn't Pikmin 2 do real-life products like Duracell batteries?), it is rather neat to learn stuff about the candy, like Mentos being Dutch & how Tootsie Rolls were made & named.

Kinsei

Banned
I have to say, despite the original shock of candy product placement (& to be fair, didn't Pikmin 2 do real-life products like Duracell batteries?), it is rather neat to learn stuff about the candy, like Mentos being Dutch & how Tootsie Rolls were made & named.

Yeah, Pikmin 2 had product placement as well. I feel like it's done a lot worse in this game though. In the Pikmin series you're exploring a post apocalyptic Earth as a character the size of a quarter so it was interesting seeing Olimar find these objects that we use everyday and speculating on what these giant objects (relative to his size) were used for. Here it just feels like marketing.

Camjo-Z

Yeah, Pikmin 2 had product placement as well. I feel like it's done a lot worse in this game though. In the Pikmin series you're exploring a post apocalyptic Earth as a character the size of a quarter so it was interesting seeing Olimar find these objects that we use everyday and speculating on what these giant objects (relative to his size) were used for. Here it just feels like marketing.

Pretty much this. I enjoy the ones where they tell you interesting trivia about the foods, but I could do without the toys giving me a sales pitch on how light, flaky, and crunchy utz™ Natural Potato Chips are. Olimar's comments on the other hand were basically just jokes where he totally misinterprets what common objects are.

Skrams

Updated the list with 4-2. It's 49787.

The product placement in this wavers between fun facts and kind of gross. I'll spoiler the picture since it's a World 2 toy you meet. Also wow there is so much utz™.

WVW69id2bcEq4XInmN

Yeah, I gotta say I think the product placement was a miss here. Real life products meld well with Chibi-Robo's world, but having the product placement advertisements just feels skeevy and gross, even in times where I learn something - like that Pez dispensers were supposed to look like lighters.

I would have vastly preferred something closer to Pikmin's approach, though I suppose they couldn't really have the same oomph in a setting where humans are still alive.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, world 2 cleared. Time to replay the stages for the outfits. At the very least, you can leave after getting it.

Anyone got any tips for leveling up your amiibo, aside from the bonus badges (don't die, get hurt, or use items)? Progress has seriously slowed down after reaching Level 3.

randomkid

Updated the list with 4-2. It's 49787.

The product placement in this wavers between fun facts and kind of gross. I'll spoiler the picture since it's a World 2 toy you meet. Also wow there is so much utz™.

How do you meet the World 2 toy? I'm on World 3 and no one new showed up. Do you have to find every piece of candy for the World 1 toy first? I sure hope it's not that tedious! (knowing the way this game works, it is probably that tedious)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Should I bother listing the outfits & which levels you get them in? I'd only be able to do up to World 2, but maybe listing them will decide if people want to bother collecting them or not.

Camjo-Z

Welp, world 2 cleared. Time to replay the stages for the outfits. At the very least, you can leave after getting it.

Anyone got any tips for leveling up your amiibo, aside from the bonus badges (don't die, get hurt, or use items)? Progress has seriously slowed down after reaching Level 3.

After beating the story and only replaying levels once for outfits I'm a little over Level 5, so it seems to be balanced around lasting the whole game. I think going for the rest of the outfits (I've only done the first 3 worlds) will bring me up to Level 6 without much grinding. As for tips, the only real one seems to be to go for the "don't get hurt" badge since it gives you way more points than the others.

How do you meet the World 2 toy? I'm on World 3 and no one new showed up. Do you have to find every piece of candy for the World 1 toy first? I sure hope it's not that tedious! (knowing the way this game works, it is probably that tedious)

You don't need candy to find the toys, you just have to find the portal leading to them. It's hidden in one of the levels of the world and moves around to new levels once in a while (after you've found the toy once, the game will tell you when this happens). If you didn't meet a new toy yet, you missed the portal.

fernoca

Really enjoying this so far. Cute, charming and fun. Has that "I have to look at every corner" thing many games miss this days.

randomkid

You don't need candy to find the toys, you just have to find the portal leading to them. It's hidden in one of the levels of the world and moves around to new levels once in a while (after you've found the toy once, the game will tell you when this happens). If you didn't meet a new toy yet, you missed the portal.

Oh good deal, thanks. Guess I gotta figure out where it was, meeting the first toy was a highlight.

Skrams

Getting the amiibo to level 6 or higher seems like it'll be simple if you do the entire game and replay some levels for costumes. My Chibi is Level 4 with the gauge 3/8 filled at level 5-3. Replaying some levels for costumes or trying to help get costume codes will make it simple enough. Taking no damage is 10k points too, so there's probably some level to speedrun for the don't use items/checkpoints/get hurt badges for easy points.

Should just be able to find the portal in 2-1 or 2-2. It's usually in one of the first few levels. I'm not sure if missing a toy means the next tier doesn't show up. I would assume they're all separate, so as long as you find the portal in each world it'll start showing up on the map.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Outfits so far:

1-1:
Nine-Lives Ninja (cat)
1-2:
Head in the Game (soccer player + soccer ball head)
1-3:
Pinkasaurus Rex (dinosaur)
1-4:
Double Agent (alien)
1-6:
Mario (some Nintendo guy)

2-1:
Cluckertron (chicken)
2-2:
Intrepid Explorer (safari explorer)
2-4:
Spooky Skeleton (black with green bones)
2-5:
Disco Dude ('70s disco outfit with sunglasses & mustache)
2-6:
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western

& remember, you can exit a stage as soon as you get it, which is good for stages where the alien is right near the beginning of the stage. Though part of me wishes certain outfits could change the plug design.

& thank goodness, if you're missing an collectible, you only have to get that one collectible to count towards getting them all. You don't have to recollect the others.

Skrams

Feels good to cheese some of these outfit codes when all I have to do is guess 2 remaining digits on some.

Outfit Code for 4-5 is 15626.

Edit- And another. 5-1: 78313
& remember, you can exit a stage as soon as you get it, which is good for stages where the alien is right near the beginning of the stage. Though part of me wishes certain outfits could change the plug design.

& thank goodness, if you're missing an collectible, you only have to get that one collectible to count towards getting them all. You don't have to recollect the others.

Do you get points if you exit a stage early? I assume you don't. Once my amiibo is maxed I'll probably exit stages early though to save time. Also good that the collectibles still carry over. I didn't really pay attention if they did before, but it's good to have a confirmation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not that I'm aware of. I think points & collectibles don't stay if you exit, but I THINK junk you pick up & coins do.

& for the outfits, I mainly care about the ones in the 6th stage so far, seeing as
it's Nintendo themed outfits. Seriously wasn't expecting that Dillon one after getting Mario.

finch

It's weird for me to see people upset over snacks in Chibi Robo when Doritos and Mountain Dew are synonymous with video games. I guess i'm reading the advertisements as silly things rather than trying to get me to rush out to the store to buy delicious, light, and flakey Utz Potato Chips, The Potato Chip's Potato Chip. Remember Utz.
A lot of these being unavailable in my country or at least not easy to find makes me think it was someone thinking it would be a neat thing to include rather than a weird advertising opportunity. (Don't forget Utz).

I'm happy to see people liking this. I was expecting more Yoshi's Island DS or Super Princess Peach at best, but i'm really enjoying it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think I'm fine because you get to learn about snacks from around the world and little tidbits (like pocky being named after the sound of eating it). Though when they're all "OH MAN THIS SNACK TASTES SOOOO GOOOODDD IT HAS THESE DIFFERENT FLAVORS OM NOM NOM SO DELICIOUS" then it's kind of feels like it's falling on the advertising side. But for the most part, it was just the initial shock, then it became kind of fun discovering new snacks I've never heard of.

....though yes, Doritos & Mt. Dew are a bit more blunt since they tell you to buy their products in order to get stuff for the game.

Camjo-Z

After much capsule popping I can confirm that the bonus levels are indeed in the game, and only available after beating the final boss. I was able to unlock
World 7 - Asia.
Read on if you wish to know what the levels are:

7-1: Karakuri Castle
7-2: The Bonsai Bounce
7-3: Hanging Out in an Elegant Estate
7-4: Vexing Volcanic Climb
7-5: Ironhide Mk. II, the Beast in Asia's Abyss
7-6: Construktor Mk. II, the Remodeled Rival

So basically, two harder recolored versions of bosses (sadly one of them is the crappy submarine boss, but at least the other is the cool block boss) and four brand-new levels - each with their own unlockable outfit, might I add!

I think I have to take back what I said about not missing out if you choose to skip the amiibo stuff, because this is some pretty substantial content!

zigg

That Chibi-Tot on the cover is about to die

After much capsule popping I can confirm that the bonus levels are indeed in the game, and only available after beating the final boss. I was able to unlock
World 7 - Asia.
So is it just the one world? One level per capsule?

I mean, that still sounds great, but just curious

This seems like a good place to ask. What's generally considered the GOAT 2D platformer on 3DS? I'm not really into the NSMB series so that's out. Triple Deluxe? Boxboy?

Just got to world 2 and the level design seems to be improved. Just about to drop in all the outfit codes posted in this thread. Honestly just another perplexing and unnecessary design decision.

Top Bottom