• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash |OT| Sayonara Chib-Robo! Let's go on one more odd odyssey!

Camjo-Z

So I know that you can buy panels to avoid problems with the Destination Wheel, but then I can't buy as many figurines!

It's practically impossible to run out of money. The figurines (and panels) are incredibly cheap and the game stops you from spending all your moolah on capsules without going into another level first anyway.

Camjo-Z

But I did spend all of my money on capsules :v I was down to two moneys when I was done.

Hm, I guess you broke the system then! The game seems pretty balanced towards keeping you rich. There's only so many capsules you can unlock unless you upgrade your amiibo, which requires you to play more levels, which will in turn get you more money.

A tip to anyone with the amiibo: using Super Chibi Robo is absolutely worth it for the submarine levels. Makes you move so much faster, they become far more enjoyable. Should've been the default speed to begin with!
Oh man thank you. Super Chibi-Robo turned the submarine level I just had to deal with from sheer agony to actually tolerable. I do NOT understand how the standard sub speed got into the final game - it just feels SO AWFUL.

Gonna wait a while before I go back to 100% that and the Balloon levels on the off chance they patch them. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, press the amiibo icon while playing a stage, scan it, & bam. The more you level up the amiibo, the more times you can use Super Chibi in a single day. Lv. 1 = 1 use, Lv. 2 = 2 per day, etc.

I can't use the d-pad to control Chibi-Robo??? The Circle Pad just feels gross with 2D platformers.
Yeah, I guess they figured D-pad for diagonal aiming might've not worked for long play session, but the fact there's not even an option for d-pad controlling kind of is a bummer.

bumpkin

I'm confused, how exactly do I trigger the aliens to rescue in a given stage? I'm up to world 4 (played through every stage in worlds 1-3) and I've only encountered one twice.

And once you rescue an alien, that unlocks a costume? How do you get the costume?

I saw the running list of codes in the thread, but would like to get some on my own first. :)

I'm confused, how exactly do I trigger the aliens to rescue in a given stage? I'm up to world 4 (played through every stage in worlds 1-3) and I've only encountered one twice.

And once you rescue an alien, that unlocks a costume? How do you get the costume?

I saw the running list of codes in the thread, but would like to get some on my own first. :)
Beat the stage once, enter the code, return to it and find the shrine

Camjo-Z

You have to use the code then rescue the alien to be guaranteed a costume, otherwise you could end up playing the stage multiple times for a chance at one. There's no reason to not use them.

Does anyone have a list of costumes? I'd like to get more but backtracking for a dumb one is not something I'd like. Do I need to finish a level in order to keep the costume? Seems that way but I'm not sure

maxcriden

It's been out nearly a week. How are you all liking it at this point? I haven't even gotten to break the seal on my game case yet. But the amiibo is adorable.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does anyone have a list of costumes? I'd like to get more but backtracking for a dumb one is not something I'd like. Do I need to finish a level in order to keep the costume? Seems that way but I'm not sure
I typed up the costumes in Worlds 1 & 2 (check the previous page), might get World 3 done this week. & no, you don't have to complete the stage in order to keep it, you can exit as soon as you collect it.

Drago

It's been out nearly a week. How are you all liking it at this point? I haven't even gotten to break the seal on my game case yet. But the amiibo is adorable.
I like it! Game is definitely not without it's flaws though, but they're mostly outside the levels themselves. I'm close to the finish line at this point so I'll post some more detailed thoughts on the whole thing later tonight once I beat it.

Kinsei

Banned

I'm enjoying it. There are a few things that annoy me but overall I think it's a fun game.

Velcro Fly

I like it more and more each time I play it.

I just feel like for a 2D platformer there is a lot to do.

I've only played through the first world but it's definitely growing on me.

There is just a ton of stuff to collect and do. There are actual compelling reasons to replay a level you've beaten already.

And the amiibo stuff is just great. Leveling up my Chibi Robo so that I can buy rarer capsules seems like it will be fun eventually.

Drago

Just beat it an hour or so ago! Already got 100% on every level (medals and costumes) before I fought the final boss. I even got my amiibo up to Level 6! Now all I have left to do is to play the bonus world and finish getting the rest of the figures (wish me luck...) and I'll be all done with this one.

As for my full thoughts on the game, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Gameplay
-The whip mechanic is a lot of fun and can be very satisfying to use. The levels were all around well designed and fun to traverse in, with secrets that required some searching but weren't impossible to find. When it came time to return to a stage for a costume or to pick up any collectibles I missed, I looked forward to doing so, rather than dreading to go back. I do kinda wish we got more exploratory stages, though. I was disappointed when most of the levels ended up being kinda straightforward and linear, rather than open and giving incentive to go back to an earlier part with a longer zip lash, stuff like that. The more linear progression was still enjoyable, though.

-The vehicle levels, on the other hand, were a total let down. Even at their best, they made me wish I was just playing a regular level again. Fuck the kite, fuck the sub (unless you're Super Chibi-Robo), fuck the wakeboard/skateboard and their precision collectibles, gaaagh. I mean, they weren't completely terrible and I suppose a little bit of variety is good, but they could have been a lot better. Thankfully there was only one of them per world, sans W3. I was honestly expecting a higher ratio of vehicle:regular stages, so having far more regular stages overall was nice.

-This game has the best amiibo usage of any game yet. The Chibi amiibo does so many things, and yet none of it feels like you're missing out on substantial content if you don't buy the amiibo! Except until they decided to lock an entire bonus world behind it... that's bullshit. Still, it is what it is, but it sucks for people who didn't buy the bundle. Game also has a pretty dang neat use for all the other amiibo, assuming you have a leveled up Chibi amiibo to see it - the Chibi poses for all the other amiibo characters are adorable.

Audio/Visual
-As far as visuals go, I think the game actually looked pretty nice. It's a low budget looking art style, but it's actually kinda charming, and sometimes I would find myself stopping just to pay attention to the backgrounds for a little bit. I do wish the visuals did a better job of conveying just how tiny Chibi is, though. Some of them did, particularly the World 5 levels that had him standing next to blades of grass on a sidewalk, but most of the time his mini size wasn't really important. Not a huge deal but yeh.

-My compliments to the audio team on this one. So many great, upbeat tracks in this game, can't think of a track that I didn't like. I also love how futuristic all the sound effects are... they're very pleasing. As far as sound goes I've got no complaints with this game lol.

Other Quirks
-The Destination Wheel is fucking stupid. It's awful. But, it's also so easy to land a 1 that it's basically a nonissue. Which begs the question of why it's there in the first place... the world may never know.

-The toys were a lot of fun. I'm glad they were able to squeeze them into this game considering they're a series staple. Really, the game as a whole just has a lot of the Chibi-Robo charms, just in a 2D platformer and without a plot or humans to interact with.

-The animators definitely had a field day crafting all of Chibi's little dances and reactions. He's got so much personality on display that it's impossible not to be charmed by him.

-The product placement feels really, really weird. I honestly enjoy it when it's a foreign snack (and as the game goes on, more and more snacks are foreign) but it feels like the game is just directly bluntly advertising to me. I don't really mind it, it's easy enough to ignore. It's worth mentioning though if you're the kind of person who hates any and all forms of product placement.

-I wish I was able to aim the zip lash with gyro. I also wish you could control Chibi with the d-pad. Minor complaints, but still.

-Charging 20k coins before the final boss is another fucking stupid design choice. You'll have so much moolah by that point though that it becomes another non-issue (I still had 25k to spare after buying the parts) but that just makes it another one of those things in this game that makes you scratch your head as to why it's there.

-The plot is really bad. It's a platformer so I don't give a shit either way but it really is just a means to an end and isn't important whatsoever.

-The costumes are all amazing. Especially the one you get in 6-4, Camjo wasn't lying about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah. That should cover everything. Despite it's many, many little flaws, the main levels themselves were good enough that I was able to ignore them long enough to enjoy the good stuff on display in this game. Relative to the other 2D platformers Nintendo has put out for 3DS, this one feels firmly middle of the pack. It definitely has the most interesting and unique mechanics of them all and overall feels the most original of the bunch. There isn't another 2D Nintendo game that plays quite like Zip Lash does, so it's a nice change of pace.

If this really does end up being the last Chibi-Robo game (given the poor first week sales in Japan, that seems especially likely), I can't say I'm not a little disappointed that it went out with a completely different spinoff, rather than something a little more traditional. It is what it is though, and I will miss this series dearly. Besides... I can still hold out hope that Chibi-Robo Happy Rich Sweep will one day receive a fan translation. I think that would serve as the best send off he could get. :)

Anyways it's like 3:30AM and I just spent a half hour typing this shit up, I should really try to go to bed or something holy crap.

P.S. The Chibi-Robo amiibo is the best one they've made yet. The BEST.

Skrams

edit- Oops. I didn't see that meant costumes themselves and not the codes. welp. I'll add the ones I found in World 7.

W-1
1-1: 90841
1-2: 31389
1-3: 08201
1-4: 28382
1-5: None
1-6: 22801

W-2
2-1: 87164
2-2: 73396
2-3: None
2-4: 65465
2-5: 62985
2-6: 53612

W-3:
3-1: 46177
3-2: None
3-3: 11156
3-4: 86229
3-5: 53540
3-6: 45379

W-4:
4-1: 38655
4-2: 49787
4-3: 57749
4-4: None
4-5: 15626
4-6: 17885

W-5:
5-1: 78313
5-2: 64387
5-3: 35702
5-4: 73231
5-5: None
5-6: 76344

W-6:

6-1: 33215
6-2: 38060
6-3: None
6-4: 22399
CAPTAIN FUCKING RAINBOW
6-5: 19303
Dog Outfit
6-6: 45522
Lil' Sweetheart Outfit

W-7:
7-1: 48087 -
Karate Gi
7-2: 72799 -
Maid Uniform
7-3: 53666 -
Salaryman
7-4: 46482 -
Baseball Uniform
7-5: None
7-6: None

Finished all of the levels and it's a solid game. Main problem with it is just that it's average, and no super compelling reasons to play it unless you want an alright Nintendo platformer plus the best amiibo.

edit- Oops. I didn't see that meant costumes themselves and not the codes. welp. I'll add the ones I found in World 7.

W-1
1-1: 90841
1-2: 31389
1-3: 08201
1-4: 28382
1-5: None
1-6: 22801

W-2
2-1: 87164
2-2: 73396
2-3: None
2-4: 65465
2-5: 62985
2-6: 53612

W-3:
3-1: 46177
3-2: None
3-3: 11156
3-4: 86229
3-5: 53540
3-6: 45379

W-4:
4-1: 38655
4-2: 49787
4-3: 57749
4-4: None
4-5: 15626
4-6: 17885

W-5:
5-1: 78313
5-2: 64387
5-3: 35702
5-4: 73231
5-5: None
5-6: 76344

W-6:

6-1: 33215
6-2: 38060
6-3: None
6-4: 22399
CAPTAIN FUCKING RAINBOW
6-5: 19303
Dog Outfit
6-6: 45522
Lil' Sweetheart Outfit

W-7:
7-1: 48087 -
Karate Gi
7-2: 72799 -
Maid Uniform
7-3: 53666 -
Salaryman
7-4: 46482 -
Baseball Uniform
7-5: None
7-6: None

Finished all of the levels and it's a solid game. Main problem with it is just that it's average, and no super compelling reasons to play it unless you want an alright Nintendo platformer plus the best amiibo.
Yeah, thanks! That's what I meant. I got the Link, Mario, Dillon's Rolling western, and a chick costume and I was wondering which others they had

Oh man thank you. Super Chibi-Robo turned the submarine level I just had to deal with from sheer agony to actually tolerable. I do NOT understand how the standard sub speed got into the final game - it just feels SO AWFUL.

Gonna wait a while before I go back to 100% that and the Balloon levels on the off chance they patch them. :p
Yeah, don't know why the Sub and Balloon levels are terrible. Super Chibi made the sub boss not a pain.
Half-way through first run of World 4. The costumes are slowing me down, ha ha.

Edit: My opinion of the game that it is fun, but flawed. Probably a 3/5 which ranks it at Captain Toad level. Better than that Kirby Rainbow Curse game.
From what I played, Wooly World is the better game.

Drago

An hour and 13k coins later, I now have 199/200 figures. Aw yeahhhh.

Just need the Falco amiibo to come out, scan him in and get his pose and that'll be all of them. In case anyone else may be curious, Falco is a Mega Rare figure.

UranisYeti

Neo Member
Whats the quickest way to get coins? I don't have enough for the final boss to buy two more items. Pretty lame that I have to go back and replay levels, it's taking forever.

Drago

World 7 done. It's a damn shame this one was locked behind amiibo because it had some of the best levels in the entire game (plus two remixed boss fights). Really good stuff. Oh well.

That's it for Chibi. Now I'm cleared and ready for Woolly World tomorrow! :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Working on labeling World 3 outfits now. Think I might need to start finding a guide for missing coins & mini robots

Edit: Anyone know where the 2nd Chibi-Tot is in 3-4?

Edit 2: Updated with world 3 outfits:

Outfits so far:

1-1:
Nine-Lives Ninja (cat)
1-2:
Head in the Game (soccer player + soccer ball head)
1-3:
Pinkasaurus Rex (dinosaur)
1-4:
Double Agent (alien)
1-6:
Mario (some Nintendo guy)

2-1:
Cluckertron (chicken)
2-2:
Intrepid Explorer (safari explorer)
2-4:
Spooky Skeleton (black with green bones)
2-5:
Disco Dude ('70s disco outfit with sunglasses & mustache)
2-6:
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western

3-1:
Dashboard Dancer (hula girl)
3-3:
Scoundrel of the Seas (pirate)
3-4:
Adventurous Astronaut (spacesuit)
3-5:
Link
3-6:
Rubber Ducky (bath duck)

& remember, you can exit a stage as soon as you get it, which is good for stages where the alien is right near the beginning of the stage. Though part of me wishes certain outfits could change the plug design.

& thank goodness, if you're missing an collectible, you only have to get that one collectible to count towards getting them all. You don't have to recollect the others.

Robin64

According to the official website it works with Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Unfortunately, this is what you get:

AO03ekL.jpg

Boogiepop

Maaaan. The "give snacks to toys" being limited to 3 per time you find them is a pain, as that may singlehandedly increase the number of times I need to play stages. Oh well, I guess :|

Velcro Fly

I don't get what I'm supposed to do in 2-1

I mean I do but either I'm missing something super obvious or the timing on what I have to actually do is just so precise. I've died seriously like 12 times trying to time this correctly. Definitely not a fun feel after a first world where I felt everything was pretty fair

Skrams

I don't get what I'm supposed to do in 2-1

I mean I do but either I'm missing something super obvious or the timing on what I have to actually do is just so precise. I've died seriously like 12 times trying to time this correctly. Definitely not a fun feel after a first world where I felt everything was pretty fair

Do you mean the part where you need to jump on the platforms in a certain order where 1 is at the bottom? There's a block to pull over on the other side of screen. It doesn't require jumping on the enemy all the way to get to the bottom.

randomkid

Maaaan. The "give snacks to toys" being limited to 3 per time you find them is a pain, as that may singlehandedly increase the number of times I need to play stages. Oh well, I guess :|

Everything in this game is sort of a pain, heh. I'm apparently having way less fun than everyone else in this thread. Got to World 5 and it's been a real slog.

For me, any momentary satisfaction I get smashing things is brought down by the really uninspired gated level design, general sluggishness (even when rolling), constant s.l.o.w. repetitive cutscene transitions for just about everything during and between levels, really drab looking environments that almost never make you feel like you are actually tiny, and some pretty bad music (shout out to 3-3, the only level with a good song). The only thing I've really liked is the toys you meet each level (and the music that plays in those parts) and the hilarious product placement. Those are the only spots where I feel a bit of that classic Chibi Robo charm. It would be nice to get some more costumes but I really don't want to play through these super boring super LONG levels again. I basically decided to shelve the game and maybe I'll come back to it later when I'm finished with other better stuff. At least I got a little figure out of it! (even if I have no New 3DS to use it with).

Velcro Fly

Do you mean the part where you need to jump on the platforms in a certain order where 1 is at the bottom? There's a block to pull over on the other side of screen. It doesn't require jumping on the enemy all the way to get to the bottom.

Yeah I finally saw it

Was so focused on doing the koopa bounce to get all the way down lol

Ridley327

Final boss spoilers:
Boy, was wearing the Drake Redcrest costume the right move for that one. It wouldn't surprise me if that was a better Pacific Rim game than the one that came out. The robot even looks like Cherno Alpha.

Beat it a couple of nights ago and when all is said and done, this is probably my favorite Chibi Robo game. I enjoyed figuring out the game's tempo and getting into its groove. Really satisfying to zip your way to the top of a structure without touching the ground. The constant barrage of new ideas the game tosses your way all the way to the final boss kept things feeling fresh. The music had a couple of sour spots throughout, but the soundtrack as a whole was pretty delightful, adaptive music and all that fun stuff. I also know I'm in the ultra minority on this, but I loved the submarine sections. The bullet patterns, enemy waves, suuuper tight controls. Loved it.

Bummer to see that it's getting such a lukewarm reception. The forced end of stage cutscene is garbage, the constant, "you hit the gold ufo, you get 3 turns" popping up every damn pre-stage, and the needlessly complicated level select system are all valid criticisms but I really don't believe those issues outweigh everything else this game does right. There's also the fact that most of these potential negatives are made moot by beating worlds/the game, making the cutscenes skippable and the destination wheel being removed in favor of a straight level select.

Really enjoyed my initial time with it and I'm looking forward to doing just about everything else it has to offer. Gonna take a bit of time to seriously dive back in, still messing around with Transformers, Dragon Quest Heroes and now Yoshi. Great time to be playing games. :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD, THE BALLOON STAGE IN WORLD 4. Tried using Super Chibi-Robo, but it made things harder because of how much faster you rise. So glad to do them in one go & there's no alien to find.

Boogiepop

So, has anyone completed the figures from the capsule machine in game? I finally maxed out my amiibo so I'm chugging away at it for a bit and seeing what I get. And I'm getting a lot of "new" ones for now... but you CAN get repeats. Is it at all balanced in the player's favor or is it the type of thing where you're just going to be stuck forever trying to get the last one to appear? Because, I mean, they're neat... but it's slow enough that that probably wouldn't be worth it...

Also, to confirm: you can definitely just jump back out of a stage once you've got an outfit if that's all you need, right? Would I be correct in thinking that applies to giving toys snacks as well?

Drago

So, has anyone completed the figures from the capsule machine in game? I finally maxed out my amiibo so I'm chugging away at it for a bit and seeing what I get. And I'm getting a lot of "new" ones for now... but you CAN get repeats. Is it at all balanced in the player's favor or is it the type of thing where you're just going to be stuck forever trying to get the last one to appear? Because, I mean, they're neat... but it's slow enough that that probably wouldn't be worth it...

Also, to confirm: you can definitely just jump back out of a stage once you've got an outfit if that's all you need, right? Would I be correct in thinking that applies to giving toys snacks as well?

I have 199/200 figures (just need to scan in Falco when he comes out to get them all). You can get repeats and you'll get them often but I think the machine is pretty generous. After I beat the game, I had around 50 figures left to obtain, and I got them all in around an hour or so of tries. The odds definitely feel in your favor, though you will still see a lot of repeats.

And yes, for outfits and snack deliveries, you can exit the level as soon as you get the costume/give the toys the snacks.

Boogiepop

I have 199/200 figures (just need to scan in Falco when he comes out to get them all). You can get repeats and you'll get them often but I think the machine is pretty generous. After I beat the game, I had around 50 figures left to obtain, and I got them all in around an hour or so of tries. The odds definitely feel in your favor, though you will still see a lot of repeats.

And yes, for outfits and snack deliveries, you can exit the level as soon as you get the costume/give the toys the snacks.

Okay, thanks. I suppose for now I'll just use the machine whenever I'm doing something else like watching a youtube video so it won't really be taking up my time and just see where it gets me. Also, really close to being done now!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just cleared out World 1 with all the collectibles. I'm pleasantly surprised how much I've enjoyed it. The worlds are vibrant and the music is worth listening to. I'm so glad that after you've completed a world
that the random-spinner is gone and you can select the stage.
This is a good compliment to Woolly World, as I play this on my commute.

zigg

Do you need to throw away your duplicate figurines? I noticed they're all collecting in the display cabinet upstairs. Don't know if I'm going to run out of "space".

Boogiepop

Do you need to throw away your duplicate figurines? I noticed they're all collecting in the display cabinet upstairs. Don't know if I'm going to run out of "space".

You do eventually run out of space, yeah. I THINK there might be more space then their are figures at least, but yeah, you're almost certainly going to run out. Once you have, when you get a figure from the machine it brings up a "do you want to discard the figure you just got" prompt, and then if you say no a "do you want to discard a figure from your cabinet to make space" prompt.

Edit: Got 196/200 figures. If I can't get them all until Falco comes out anyway, I guess I'll just wait till then to try to get the rest from the machine. Is there a decent list online of what figures are what number yet, btw? Curious as to what I'm missing...

bumpkin

Beat the stage once, enter the code, return to it and find the shrine
You have to use the code then rescue the alien to be guaranteed a costume, otherwise you could end up playing the stage multiple times for a chance at one. There's no reason to not use them.
Thanks for the info, guys. I entered a bunch of the codes from the thread and rescued the alien in the first three stages last night. The cat costume is pretty cool, though I'm a little biased; me and my wife have an orange tabby kitten. :D

Boogiepop

And I now have 100% on the game, outside of figures. Looks like it took a little over 20 hours.

And I enjoyed it, but... the game definitely does just a little too much to slow you down, often in small ways that don't effect the actual stages themselves, but... it certainly adds up. All the little cutscenes you can't skip the "first time" in every stage, the destination wheel with its repetitive dialogue (not talking about worries about "screwing up", it's just some extra time wasted after each stage), the amiibo stuff especially (why exactly do you need to tap it, remove it, then tap it again?) And then the need to go back through virtually every level again for the costumes (I'd definitely, definitely not recommend bothering, maybe just look up the costumes and pick one or two you actually want to use), which feels like padding rather than anything meaningful (I get that the idea was probably to make you actually use the Miiverse stuff, but in execution it's just a pointless pain). Heck, the capsule machine even feels a little too slow, especially since there's the cap on storage and no easy "dump all extras" option, so you're stuck with one thing or another slowing that down.

So yeah, the game would've really, really benefited from being just a little snappier all around (ironically the levels themselves didn't bug me much with this, outside of the awful Chibi-sub).

I don't know, I enjoyed the game enough, solid B/80 or so for me, and it definitely didn't deserve the reviews it got, which will unfortunately probably solidify the game as "garbage tier" in the general consciousness for whenever it's brought up.

So yeah, the game would've really, really benefited from being just a little snappier all around (ironically the levels themselves didn't bug me much with this, outside of the awful Chibi-sub).

I don't know, I enjoyed the game enough, solid B/80 or so for me, and it definitely didn't deserve the reviews it got, which will unfortunately probably solidify the game as "garbage tier" in the general consciousness for whenever it's brought up.
You are a more patient than me. I loved everything except the sub levels and the vehicle stages. I quite like the game as well, but it is flawed. A C/70 for me.

God damn, I cannot get the candy on 5-5. I'm 100% certain it's in the chest on a floating platform after the indoor section but it's just too high up to reach by jumping and I can't jump on the enemies to get some extra height.

How do you get it?

EDIT: I just jumped on an enemy on a retry and it's super precise. This is gonna be awhile, isn't it...

Top Bottom