• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash Review Thread

Jigorath

Banned
Nintendo World Report - 8

It’s got some frustrating moments (stage select, vehicles) but the highs outweigh the lows, and I like the Amiibo functionality.

GamesBeat - 7.3

Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash is a solid little platformer that entertains despite faltering at times. It’s cute, it’s charming, and it offers some nice little twists on the 2D action/grappling formula that make it stand out.

Game Informer - 7

Zip Lash isn’t the game that’s ultimately going to convert people into being Chibi-Robo fans; it’s a competent platformer, but it sticks too close to the genre manual and is missing a much-needed spark.

Attack of the Fanboy - 7

Chibi-Robo makes the leap to 2.5D with gameplay mechanics that are very well implemented, but baffling decisions like the Destination Wheel and repetitive level design take away from what could have certainly been a better game in Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash.

Shacknews - 7

It's a testament to its stage design, though, that I came away feeling utterly satisfied despite the game so constantly getting in its own way. Chibi-Robo may not be destined for Nintendo stardom, but Zip Lash shows how the tiny robot still has plenty of room to grow, experiment, and find what works for him.
God is a Geek - 6.5

Ten years on, even with the aesthetically wonderful amiibo that can be purchased with this game, it's hard to see how the titular Chibi is suddenly going to become a wildly popular player in the Nintendo universe based upon his exploits here.
Game Revolution - 6

It’s not bad, but it’s not great either. Could’ve used more “zip," I think.

Post Arcade - 6

Even a bit of appealing Amiibo functionality isn’t enough to make Zip Lash a must-have for anyone, save perhaps the little guy’s biggest fans. If you want to play a platformer, plenty of better options exist on 3DS. And if you want to know what Chibi-Robo is really all about, best go back into his quirky past and do a few household chores or give life to some park plants.
Nintendo Life - 6

The whole package is undoubtedly polished and pleasing, and if you're looking for a solid platformer that zigs where a Mario may zag then this is a safe bet for an enjoyable time. But for all the charm and smooth polish, there's little texture here to make the game stand out from others in this genre.
Destructoid - 5.5

If you're a die-hard Chibi-Robo! fan, or if the possibility of having to replay the same levels over and over again doesn't bother you too much, then Zip Lash might be for you. Unfortunately, it's tough for me to give this game a good recommendation after the frustrating time I had with it. I still love you, Chibi-Robo, but this was not your best effort!
USgamer - 5

There's talk that Zip Lash could be the final Chibi-Robo game, and that's a shame. I'd prefer to see him go out with a bit more style than Zip Lash offers. The irony of this game focused around acquisition and collecting is that it's not really worth acquiring for your collection. Even if that Amiibo is awfully adorable.

IGN - 5

Despite some cute details and a good idea here and there, Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash is inconsistent at best and often just boring. Most levels are a little too slow, and a 10-or-so-hour game felt far longer — in a bad way. I liked seeing Chibi-Robo’s adorable little victory dances and finding hidden collectibles, but even its best moments were few and far between. It was just enough to pass some time.

Gamespot - 4

For every promising moment--which are few and far between--there's a commercial for candy, or a series of mini-tasks and menus that drag you back down. Chibi-Robo is a sleepy trip through a forgettable world. Plead with it to go faster, beg it to surprise you with new experiences, but don't be surprised when it answers back with the merits of biting into the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Metacritic

about what i was expecting seems the game is average at best the first game has a 75 on metacritic lets see where this game ends up.

Just as I expected. :/

This is not the venue for Chibi-Robo! and I have no idea why Nintendo thought it would work. I hope the amiibo pushes sales enough that they continue on with the series though and get back to what actually makes the IP special.

Shiggy

Let's hope the game flops and they can finally move on from this average franchise. The Art Style and bit Generations games were pure fun. Why start work on a mediocre eshop Chibi Robo game and now an average Chibi Robo platformer :/

Or did the Art Style team get laid off (they downsized from 3 teams to only one).

Let's hope the game flops and they can finally move on from this average franchise. The Art Style and bit Generations games were pure fun. Why start work on a mediocre eshop Chibi Robo game and now an average Chibi Robo platformer :/

Or did the Art Style team get laid off (they downsized from 3 teams to only one).

since when did nintendo downsize?

Not even the amiibo will save this one.

giphy.gif

MarkusRJR

As a big fan of Chibi-Robo on GCN and the first DS one, I bought this game on hope for a future entry in the vein of the DS or GCN releases. Still going to enjoy it since it's a 2D platformer (one of my favorite genres) but it's a shame that the fun elements that made Chibi-Robo so unique won't be present in his presumably final game.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Still getting it to support Chibi, especially with his cute amiibo. I hope we get the New Play Control version on Wii U VC someday.

Honestly, the whole level select thing seems overblown (it seems to me to be a reason for money to exist, only reason you should be forced to replay things is if you're not collecting enough cash), and most of the reviews seem pretty positive besides that, looking forward to my copy coming today.

jeffers

Further tempted to just get the amiibo, but it sets a bad precedent for me to buy an amiibo not for a game... And I've never played a chibirobo game!

Blues1990

Further tempted to just get the amiibo, but it sets a bad precedent for me to buy an amiibo not for a game... And I've never played a chibirobo game!

If you can, you should track down the Nintendo GameCube and/or Nintendo DS Chibi Robo games. Both games are fairly charming video games.

Castef

Banned
In line with the previous entries.

It is a series which actually never managed to be excellent.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sounds about right. It's a cute little spinoff and not much more.

It's a shame that the fantastic first game never got the follow-up it deserved. Even the closest thing to a real sequel never left Japan.

Watch them putting out a patch that gets rid of the destination wheel thing two weeks after release, like with Codename S.T.E.A.M

Why the fuck would you put something like that in the game...

Modern reviews of side scrolling platformers tend to be sort of useless imo. Even the popular ones often seem like they're docked a point just for being in the genre. I'll wait for the impressions of gaffers who tend to share similar tastes.

Modern reviews of side scrolling platformers tend to be sort of useless imo. Even the popular ones often seem like they're docked a point just for being in the genre. I'll wait for the impressions of gaffers who tend to share similar tastes.

Jeremy parish is the writer for usgamer's 5/10, and he has multiple side projects covering old games including a chronological video series covering every release for the game boy.

I suspect you can trust his opinion beyond just "not into the genre". He has been covering Retro games since 2007 or so at 1up.com.

Toxi

Banned
Reading the description of the destination wheel... What the fuck? The game randomly forces you to replay levels you already beat? How on Earth did that get off the drawing board?

Jeremy parish is the writer for usgamer's 5/10, and he has multiple side projects covering old games including a chronological video series covering every release for the game boy.

I suspect you can trust his opinion beyond just "not into the genre". He has been covering Retro games since 2007 or so at 1up.com.
Eh, Parish is a mixed bag in my experience. Sometimes he's on point, sometimes he gets his head a bit up his own ass and hyperbolizes or treats blatantly subjective stuff like cold hard fact. Generally I prefer his more journalistic investigative stuff or interviews.

And more pointedly:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/ghosts-n-goblins

:p

Eh, Parish is a mixed bag in my experience. Sometimes he's on point, sometimes he gets his head a bit up his own ass and hyperbolizes or treats blatantly subjective stuff like cold hard fact. Generally I prefer his more journalistic investigative stuff or interviews.

And more pointedly:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/ghosts-n-goblins

:p

If you disagree with his opinion that is fine but don't act like he isn't knowledgeable on the subject matter.

Intel_89

The game never stood out to me, I'll eventually pick it up just to have it but I can't say that I'm eager to play it.

me0wish

Why is everyone caring so much about review scores? Its not like CR is a series with "Stellar" review scores, never was, never will be.

I, for one, am not disappointed, the game has everything I love about Chibi-Robo, detailed environments, fun creative ways to approach a situation, awesome unique music, wacky/cute characters and dialog, and its a very fun little platformer!

My only complain is the destination wheel, where did this stupid idea come from and who the hell approved it?!
It's easily avoidable though.

maxcriden

Metacritic's 66 only includes ten reviews, and there are a few 8/10 ones missing, FWIW!

Nintendo Life 6/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/chibi-robo_zip_lash

Desctructoid 5.5/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-chibi-robo-zip-lash-314129.phtml

Shack News

http://www.shacknews.com/article/91649/chibi-robo-zip-lash-review-whip-smart

Nintendo World Report - 8/10

There are a few instances where Chibi-Robo gets on a vehicle; these stages are almost universally horrible.

Whatever your feelings on the vehicles, there’s no denying that the game’s stage select system is an absolute misfire.

Chibi-Robo: Zip-Lash is a fun game. It’s got some frustrating moments (stage select, vehicles) but the highs outweigh the lows, and I like the Amiibo functionality. Give it a shot, kids.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/41279/chibi-robo-zip-lash-3ds-review

iDigital Times 8/10

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/chibi-robo-zip-lash-review-metroid-game-fans-wont-mind-settling-480371

Paste Magazine 8/10

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/10/chibi-robo-zip-lash-review-plugged-in.html

Nintendo Enthusiast 8/10 (banned site)

More reviews:

https://news.google.com/news/story?...ved=0CCUQqgIwAGoVChMI34_vk66zyAIVSPMeCh1f0gyL

Some comments on bizarre level progression:

Nintendo Life said:
Constantly threatening players down the path of having to repeat stages is a crummy way to add tension or extend the life of a game — even for completionists who might choose to do this stuff anyway. You can sidestep the whole thing by buying panels with moolah to guarantee your odds of getting the spin you want, which just undermines the whole point. Once a world boss is bested, you can freely replay whatever stage you'd like. The Destination Wheel is a forced, needless hurdle that serves no real purpose other than padding out the game length.

Destructoid said:
Most platforming games like this feature a map with each level laid out on a path, which are then played sequentially. Zip Lash tries to subvert this common feature by implementing the "Destination Wheel." After each level, Chibi-Robo will spin the wheel to select a number. This number determines the amount of spaces he'll move on the map, which in turn determines the next level to play even if it's not the next level in the sequence. Once every level on a map has been discovered and beaten, the player can then proceed to the next map. Basically, this means that most people will be playing the levels out of order, which could have been a neat idea.

The problem, however, is that maps are laid out in a circle, and if the player loops around and lands on a level they have already played, they will be forced to play it over again in order to proceed and pick another level. Because of this, this one simple idea of the Destination Wheel single-handedly demolished my excitement for Zip Lash. Being forced to replay levels due to bad luck is not a fun mechanic. The only reason I can think of for this to exist in its current state would be to artificially extend the game's length, and that's not something I can get behind. They even included a separate wheel to spin for boss levels, which is completely pointless and a waste of time as there's only one space on the entire wheel. The Boss Wheel might have been a funny joke if the Destination Wheel wasn't already such an annoyance.

Granted, there are ways to sort of bypass the wheel. Wheel numbers can be purchased with moolah (the in-game currency) so that the player will be more likely to land on a number they want. It's also possible to get more than one spin, assuming the player was skilled enough to hit the gold or silver flying saucers at the end of the last level. Finally, once every level has been beaten and the world has been cleared, players will no longer have to spin the wheel for that world and can freely select whichever level they wish. If only it was possible to do that from the start...

[...] All that wheel nonsense sadly soured Zip Lash for me, which is a huge shame because almost everything else about the game is fun and charming.

Shack News said:
There's no particular guarantee of which stage you'll move to next, though, thanks to an utterly backwards level selection mechanic.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Why is everyone caring so much about review scores? Its not like CR is a series with "Stellar" review scores, never was, never will be.[/SPOILER]

The previous games were all very idiosyncratic and fated to be divisive; this game looks to be a fairly conventional and unambitious platformer, ie the sort of game that would only score poorly if it was poorly made or genuinely unengaging.

People saying the amiibo would help sales: is that a joke?

How big of a base do we think has been clamoring for Chibi-Robo merchandise? How many people do we think really want an action figure for a character that most people have never heard of?

And if we are just assuming it will sell to the people who collect every amiibo no matter what, how many of THOSE people do you think there are? Do we really think there are a million of these people combined?

These are actual questions, I'm not being a jerk here. Did amiibo help Mario Party?

Top Bottom