• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child accounts on PSN are annoying

rbanke

I'm probably just yelling at clouds here though perhaps it will make me feel better but any of you who have kids who have received PSN gift cards may feel the same. When you have a child account that account cannot add funds, even from a gift card directly to their account. You have to add the cards to the main account and give them what's essentially an allowance. Having your own funds that you might have been holding on to for something gets mixed with that or better yet, a second (or more) kid who also got gift cards now all end up in the pot which makes figuring out who can buy what a huge pain in the ass. So here I am with 41 bucks in my psn account from idk when, my youngest gives me two $10 cards he got from family and now I have to make sure the allowance ends up at the right amount and the other kid doesn't accidentally spend it, because he got 10 as well.

Anyone ever think the people who design systems like these have never actually used them?

Anyway, Merry Christmas GAF!

season 13 GIF

Fitting I think.

Royal-Slime

Banned
I thought the message is going to (rightfully so) complain about children playing on consoles and using voice-chat. I swear, Americans need to get better at parenting because this is just insane. I can understand Call of Duty... it's pretty messed up with its story but the multiplayer is usually harmless. Mortal Kombat 11, on the other hand... had a match the other day and my opponent was a child. Kept screaming like crazy at every X-Ray or just any attack, didn't do anything. Who gives these games to children?? No wonder school shootings happens in USA and only in this generation.

I don't think all violent games are necessarily bad but they are negative influence. As an adult you should be able to understand what negative influence is fine for you (most people can't, unfortunately)... but giving that to children is beyond irresponsible. If journos really cared about actual problems, they would start pushing the ID check and better control at who gets the game.

Fredrik

I thought the message is going to (rightfully so) complain about children playing on consoles and using voice-chat. I swear, Americans need to get better at parenting because this is just insane. I can understand Call of Duty... it's pretty messed up with its story but the multiplayer is usually harmless. Mortal Kombat 11, on the other hand... had a match the other day and my opponent was a child. Kept screaming like crazy at every X-Ray or just any attack, didn't do anything. Who gives these games to children?? No wonder school shootings happens in USA and only in this generation.

I don't think all violent games are necessarily bad but they are negative influence. As an adult you should be able to understand what negative influence is fine for you (most people can't, unfortunately)... but giving that to children is beyond irresponsible. If journos really cared about actual problems, they would start pushing the ID check and better control at who gets the game.
Worrysome, didn’t know it was like this. I hear my younger kids talk about Fortnite though, class mates plays it, but personally I refuse to let them play anything where you kill other humans. Makes it difficult to find games to play but feels good to take a stand, they can play violent games when they fully understand the consequences of violence.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It seems like they could allow someone to use a gift card with a child account. Thats frustrating.

Eternal21

I tried helping my sister setting one up for her kids over the phone, and we ended giving up and just have them use her main account instead. I'm not surprised they're cumbersome as fuck to use, coming from the same people that designed PSN Store, and PS5 UI.

Last edited:

Clinton514

I'm probably just yelling at clouds here though perhaps it will make me feel better but any of you who have kids who have received PSN gift cards may feel the same. When you have a child account that account cannot add funds, even from a gift card directly to their account. You have to add the cards to the main account and give them what's essentially an allowance. Having your own funds that you might have been holding on to for something gets mixed with that or better yet, a second (or more) kid who also got gift cards now all end up in the pot which makes figuring out who can buy what a huge pain in the ass. So here I am with 41 bucks in my psn account from idk when, my youngest gives me two $10 cards he got from family and now I have to make sure the allowance ends up at the right amount and the other kid doesn't accidentally spend it, because he got 10 as well.

Anyone ever think the people who design systems like these have never actually used them?

Anyway, Merry Christmas GAF!
I went through the same issue this Christmas. I had to split some card among 2 child accounts. Not hard but I'm always trying to calculating who the left over cash belong to.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Doesn't really sound particularly hard. You cash them on your account, then assign that same amount as allowance to the kid's account?

Where is the difficult part?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have solved the issue by not allowing them to purchase anything. This way they have to rightfully beg me for whatever they want.

TheMan

They can't use online services either.. Sucks when we want to play Monster hunter together.

I'm pretty sure you can change permissions to allow this. I just added my kid's account to the PS5 last week so we could play minecraft together and the process was way more confusing and complicated than it needed to be. And in the end I had to go back and change permissions so he could play.

Worrysome, didn’t know it was like this. I hear my younger kids talk about Fortnite though, class mates plays it, but personally I refuse to let them play anything where you kill other humans. Makes it difficult to find games to play but feels good to take a stand, they can play violent games when they fully understand the consequences of violence.
A good compromise if you haven’t heard of it is Plants vs Zombies: Garfen Warfare 1 or 2 or Battle for Neighborville. They are 3rd person shooters but the violence is comical and pretty harmless.

I play it regularly and they are great games with many modes, and even a co-op PVE mode.

devilNprada

I'm pretty sure you can change permissions to allow this. I just added my kid's account to the PS5 last week so we could play minecraft together and the process was way more confusing and complicated than it needed to be. And in the end I had to go back and change permissions so he could play.

I was told by Sony under 13 can't use PSN I have all settings to no restrictions.. So either your kid is 13, Minecraft doesn't require PSN or I am wrong.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I called Sony on it.

Last edited:

I can’t figure it out either. The few times I tried GTA Online is like being in a glorified day care center with so many young sounding children yelling obscenities and other horrible things in voice chat literally every minute. I’m like, why do these parents allow these kids play these type of games?

DESTROYA

Your making it way to complicated, the cards have a $$ amount on them right ?
Tell them they can only get a game for that amount and after they pick the game you can use the card for them.
So only use the card once he decides what game to get, pretty simple.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I never bothered making a child account and don’t see why it would ever be needed since you need passwords to get anywhere important. They just use a normal account. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
I can’t figure it out either. The few times I tried GTA Online is like being in a glorified day care center with so many young sounding children yelling obscenities and other horrible things in voice chat literally every minute. I’m like, why do these parents allow these kids play these type of games?
I'm glad to say I haven't played GTA Online :D I launched it one time, had insane lag and turned it off. Tried Red Dead Online and that was even worse.

But yeah, I see what you mean. I'm turning off voice-chat immediately in games unless I know those people. Mortal Kombat 11 should have had that option, it gets annoying on PS5 when you forget to toggle off mute on DualSense, too. There's very little control over the games kids can buy and it's not just parents giving them these games. But then again, we don't know for sure if it really impacts people. I have to say that the most disgusting people I saw on the Internet were often into "cute things" and Nintendo games. All the rainbows-pronouns on Twitter are often seen playing those games, so there's that.

I'm glad to say I haven't played GTA Online :D I launched it one time, had insane lag and turned it off. Tried Red Dead Online and that was even worse.

But yeah, I see what you mean. I'm turning off voice-chat immediately in games unless I know those people. Mortal Kombat 11 should have had that option, it gets annoying on PS5 when you forget to toggle off mute on DualSense, too. There's very little control over the games kids can buy and it's not just parents giving them these games. But then again, we don't know for sure if it really impacts people. I have to say that the most disgusting people I saw on the Internet were often into "cute things" and Nintendo games. All the rainbows-pronouns on Twitter are often seen playing those games, so there's that.
Haha, can’t blame you at all and I know what you mean. Parents and retailers might not do research on what they are buying for their kids I’m assuming. I sometimes hear trash talkers in MK11 who sound young as well, but I was shocked by many kids I heard online in GTA Online. At least the matches in MK11 end in a few minutes. Running around for like 10 minutes to an hour in GTA trying to do stuff and hearing all types of crazy immature stuff on the mic is pretty crazy. Then again, I don’t play games games much online at all, so maybe I picked a few bad nights.

Royal-Slime

Banned
Haha, can’t blame you at all and I know what you mean. Parents and retailers might not do research on what they are buying for their kids I’m assuming. I sometimes hear trash talkers in MK11 who sound young as well, but I was shocked by many kids I heard online in GTA Online. At least the matches in MK11 end in a few minutes. Running around for like 10 minutes to an hour in GTA trying to do stuff and hearing all types of crazy immature stuff on the mic is pretty crazy. Then again, I don’t play games games much online at all, so maybe I picked a few bad nights.
I actually didn't hear that many kids playing MK11, it was just one that time. But yeah, I think GTA Online is definitely the hotspot for them XD I wonder how bad it got when Epic Games gave away free GTA V on their store. That giveaway was all over the news and on google, too. It must be pure hell in that game right now :D :messenger_beaming:
Matches do end in a few minutes in MK 11 + you can leave. I usually leave whenever the person starts to behave obnoxious, the few rank points aren't worth it anyway and in the game's defense, I haven't seen that many negative players. It's definitely not as comfortable to play as Samurai Shodown, Street Fighter or other mostly Japanese fighting games... but not that bad. My worst online experiences have been in Smash, Splatoon and some other Nintendo games. Also Destiny 2 - that game has miserable community.

I strongly recommend FF XIV if you want a good online game. It has the nicest community out of all I've ever seen. There's some bad apples (nude mods idiots which run around in trousers, people making it look like they have sex with emotes system, etc.) but overall the community is great and 95% of people will be nice, welcoming and helpful

Last edited:
I actually didn't hear that many kids playing MK11, it was just one that time. But yeah, I think GTA Online is definitely the hotspot for them XD I wonder how bad it got when Epic Games gave away free GTA V on their store. That giveaway was all over the news and on google, too. It must be pure hell in that game right now :D :messenger_beaming:
Matches do end in a few minutes in MK 11 + you can leave. I usually leave whenever the person starts to behave obnoxious, the few rank points aren't worth it anyway and in the game's defense, I haven't seen that many negative players. It's definitely not as comfortable to play as Samurai Shodown, Street Fighter or other mostly Japanese fighting games... but not that bad. My worst online experiences have been in Smash, Splatoon and some other Nintendo games. Also Destiny 2 - that game has miserable community.

I strongly recommend FF XIV if you want a good online game. It has the nicest community out of all I've ever seen. There's some bad apples (nude mods idiots which run around in trousers, people making it look like they have sex with emotes system, etc.) but overall the community is great and 95% of people will be nice, welcoming and helpful
Cool. I played FFXIV awhile back and enjoyed it. Wouldn’t mind getting into it again actually. Haven’t played an MMO in quite some time. One of my friends loves that game.

Free GTA5’s? Well, that could explain a few things then lol.😂 Admittedly, I did have some fun with GTA Online handful of times I played it. Some pretty enjoyable and interesting missions with some story left in as well. I think that’s the new “Mario” for kids now it seems.

I met a few crazy people in MK11, but no one too obnoxious I suppose. Yeah, I heard about the Smash community. Some real characters from what I gathered. I play a fair share of fighters every now and then and most players are pretty friendly from my experience.

Royal-Slime

Banned
Cool. I played FFXIV awhile back and enjoyed it. Wouldn’t mind getting into it again actually. Haven’t played an MMO in quite some time. One of my friends loves that game.

Free GTA5’s? Well, that could explain a few things then lol.😂 Admittedly, I did have some fun with GTA Online handful of times I played it. Some pretty enjoyable and interesting missions with some story left in as well. I think that’s the new “Mario” for kids now it seems.

I met a few crazy people in MK11, but no one too obnoxious I suppose. Yeah, I heard about the Smash community. Some real characters from what I gathered. I play a fair share of fighters every now and then and most players are pretty friendly from my experience.
It was free this May for just a week but Epic Games Store actually couldn't recover for a few hours. I had to wait until evening to claim the game :D GTA Online is basically an MMORPG in disguise :p

Top Bottom