• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Childhood obesity is freakin' tragic (processed sugar is the devil and so are lazy parents)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teezzy

Banned
I'm a simple man, so one of my favorite activities is grocery shopping. For me, it's not just about buying food, but people-watching as well. I'm the weirdo looking at you and looking at the contents of your shopping cart and judging your lifestyle. Believe me, I'm judging hard.

There's a Seinfeld joke about going to the grocery store and he talks about trying to find attractive, physically fit, people, and thinking, "He looks good, I wonder what he's eating"

You wouldn't believe how rampant obesity is here in Metro Detroit. Dear lord. What a crude reminder of reality my grocery trips are.

For the most part I stick to produce, eggs, and meat. I eat a lot of canned fish.

A couple days ago I made my Pop Tart thread. I was craving garbage. I bought those Pretzel boys and some Wild Berry ones because I hadn't had them since the 90s. I bought some carrot cake cupcakes from the bakery section too.

I won't lie, I gobbled that spit. Then I felt like ass. My thoughts were sluggish, I was tired, I could feel tension in my arms from a blood sugar spike. I had gunked up my system. It was... not good. Fairly certain I gained a couple pounds... and I wanted more sugar.

Cut to tonight, grocery shopping proper. More people watching.

In front of me in line was a family. Mom, dad, and two kids. All obese. The one piece of produce they bought was a little container of strawberries. Apart from that there were Pop Tarts, Cheetos, two loaves of white bread, ice cream, chocoloate syrup, 2 packs of hot dog buns, way too much Mountain Dew, pasta, muffins, Hostess, Little Debbie, TV dinners, yogurt - but the sugarry ass Yoplait kind, etc. No sign of anything that resembled "actual food" in sight. This is definitely not a quinoa family.

Then I made eye contact with the son. Maybe like 12 years old, and my heart broke. Kid was fat. Very fat. Reminded me of myself when I was young (I grew up "the fat kid") and like most other fat kids, he had this "soft" personality. You can tell he played a lot of video games; his posture was flamboyant and his clothing ill fitting. There's a sadness in these kids. You know they're picked on and self loathing, but they're not the ones buying the groceries. It's their parents who are, and the parents should be ashamed of themselves. Kids learn their dietary habits from their parents. I was an obese kid and my father was obese. I just sorta assumed it was genetic at that age. Like I was born fat. This kid is dopey and nice, probably funny too. You have to depend on that socially when you're a fat kid.

Idk, I dont have much of a point. I wish there was more of an effort in this country to educate people about food. We're animals - y'know? In the wild, human beings would not be eating like this. Mostly produce and fish - I think. Not Twinkies. We're so far removed from our natural state with our lifestyles.

Like if your kid wants something sweet, buy lots of fruit. Fruit has sugar in it, but lots of nutrients and fiber too! You never see some fat person and think "wow they must eat a lot of fruit!"

2D10784024-131217-denied-surgery-main.fit-760w.jpg

/rant

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I usually tend to stick to the outside walls of the grocery store, that's usually where the essentials are, produce, dairy, bakery, meat.. Everything in the middle isles is shit you should avoid.

also: a lot of parents are lazy, so they buy the "here just nuke it" food and all the sugary drinks and candy, because why prepare it when you can just shove it in your mouth.

I try to stick to produce and meat, and even I have my days where i just say fuck it and eat a bag of doritos and down some dr.pepper. It's not easy eating healthy because there is so much shit just always being thrown in your face.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I usually tend to stick to the outside walls of the grocery store, that's usually where the essentials are, produce, dairy, bakery, meat.. Everything in the middle isles is shit you should avoid.

For the most part yeah. I really only go in the aisles for my tuna, hot sauce, and oatmeal. Used to be coffee too, but I cut back hard on that. Don't buy it any longer.

teezzy

Banned
Like how can you watch your child get to that point and not take action?

100409845_s-1-780x470.jpg

Real talk, I'd course correct these kids so quickly. Let them cry, idgaf. If they wanna be obese as an adult, then let them. I'd run a strict household man.

The way we baby obesity in America is shameful. All this body positivity bologna. I get so mad just thinking about it.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
For the most part yeah. I really only go in the aisles for my tuna, hot sauce, and oatmeal. Used to be coffee too, but I cut back hard on that. Don't buy it any longer.
Yeah true, i do go in the aisles but its for things like condiments, hot sauce, and seasonings. Also, I'm thankful to have a wife who knows how to cook.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
If the packaging has like cartoon characters and bullcrap all over it, chances are it is straight up garbage.
Even if it doesn't have characters on it, i still check the labels. I noticed that some of the organic peanut butter has added sugar and oil in it. I mean for fucks sake why? it just needs to have peanuts in it.

it is also scientifically engineered to be as delicious as possible, and to encourage eating more of it. It is like legal cocaine.
I read somewhere that the same receptors in your brain fire off when you consume sugar that fire off when you do coke, they try to get you addicted to it. It's hard to avoid sugar because it's everywhere, so I try to read the labels.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I'm usually very much the same as you OP, I've gotten bad during the pandemic year being T1 Diabetic I've had to adjust to not being able to go and get fresh food as often as I should and my immune system is trash so I look forward to the day I can go back to just the outside aisle shopping.

The obesity thing though, it's lazy parenting. My mother was bad with me and my sister but I lucked out with a solid metabolism (At least til I hit 30), but my sister ate like shit and is overweight, has 3 kids (All 3 are more then obese) all way too young to be as inactive as they are. But the parent works, and unfortunately usually is more interested with focusing on "Their" hobbies in their free time then making sure their kids eat right. Shit thrown in the oven, from a can, or the bakery plus all sorts of sugary drinks is likely 95% of my niece and nephews diet.

America spends so much money on commercials for all the awful foods in the stores and eating out (Another thing you should avoid if eating out means fast food), and not enough energy on eating better. It doesn't help any that eating healthy is not cheap, and eating like shit is way more affordable, thus the poor (who are usually unhealthy) eat like shit.

teezzy

Banned
Shit thrown in the oven, from a can, or the bakery plus all sorts of sugary drinks is likely 95% of my niece and nephews diet.

This right here says it all.

You don't even have to raise your kids to be deprived of junk food entirely either yknow? They're kids - let them live a litt.

Like yeah, throw some ice cream in the cart or maybe some cookies or chips whatever. But like one or two items max per shopping trip. Everything else should be actual food. Fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, milk, etc.

Then people wonder why they have to use those electric carts in the store. It's so troubling.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
You don't even have to raise your kids to be deprived of junk food entirely either yknow? They're kids - let them live a litt.

A lot of people don't follow the serving size or aren't even aware of it. They just throw some food in the bowl and eat it. My fucking rocky road ice cream is 250 calories, for 1/2 a cup. half a fucking cup, I eat that in one bite.

teezzy

Banned
That's one thing I really loved about the Obama administration. Michelle's whole healthy school lunch incentive was one of the coolest things I ever saw.

Michelle_Obama_school_lunch_1.jpg

Like yeah, kids are dumb and they're gonna pick the cheeseburgers and chocolate milks over like a bowl of carrots, etc but that doesn't mean we need to have corporations like Coca Cola and Frito Lay dipping their greedy hands and taking advantage of their ignorance

It's disgusting how these food companies will prey on children and teens' naivety and schools just bend over backwards to let them do it for additional funding.

I'm so mad right now lmao

That's one thing I really loved about the Obama administration. Michelle's whole healthy school lunch incentive was one of the coolest things I ever saw.

Like yeah, kids are dumb and they're gonna pick the cheeseburgers and chocolate milks over like a bowl of carrots, etc but that doesn't mean we need to have corporations like Coca Cola and Frito Lay dipping their greedy hands and taking advantage of their ignorance

It's disgusting how these food companies will prey on children and teens' naivety and schools just bend over backwards to let them do it for additional funding.

tYuI2Lp.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was a fat kid and ate garbage growing up in the 90s. My parents didn't know better, so I don't blame them. I'm sure glad I was able to educate myself on nutrition via the Internet. I'm determined to ensure my kids do not grow up fat and at least have the knowledge of how to easily stay lean if they want to as they go into adulthood.

edbrat

It's a tough tough dilemma, what and how you eat is bound up in a whole load of cultural and habitual stuff most of us inherit from our parents and habits established early can be almost impossibly hard to change. Kids who get fat have worse and shorter lives, it's the saddest thing to see and I don't have any answers. I was a fat kid and I did loads of sport and was very active compared to urban kids today, I was lucky I went to schools big on sports with good facilities and I was still fat because I knew nothing about diet or even the basic concept of restraining oneself in relation to food. My whole childhood I was encouraged to eat big and received lots of praise about how much I could put away. It wasn't until I was an adult when I started to get some semblance of control and it's a lifelong struggle which will always be there bc I want the extra large sized portions, I'm habituated to three big meals a day and not ever feeling hungry and feeling full af when I eat, and so much more.

This I thought was a great PSA about raising a fat kid, moody as hell, godspeed to anyone dealing with these issues:

carlosrox

Banned
If we're being real here the meat industry is just as bad if not worse yet it's not really very cool to promote veganism.

It's a fucking disgusting death industry first of all, we are almost all raised on it without a choice, and think of the health and environmental negatives.

Dairy, Meat, Junk, it's all crap really.

I mean, just look at this shit.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

One thing I hate about this was the response to it! Parents were literally bitching their kids couldn’t jalapeño cheddar bombers and pizza at lunch anymore! Well I hate to break it to you, but that shit plays a part in the horrible choices your kids make as an adult. I finally got sick of it last year and started making serious fucking changes. I’m a great example of this, horrible food choices at home and school for breakfast lunch and dinner ballooned me to 400 pounds by the end of high school. I was so embarrassed I skipped graduation photos and didn’t walk. It took me till I was 30 to finally start making serious changes to my body and lifestyle because I hated myself in the mirror.

Blond

Banned
I can't even tell you how many gross ass adults admitted to me that they "dont like water"

get wrekt

These days I’m drinking 1-2 gallons of water a day and my body has loved me for it. Better skin, less rancid smelling poop and my urine isn’t this horrible yellow-brown color anymore. Like I want obese people to have the awakening I did when you realize “wow this is inside my body???” And that it doesn’t take 4 dead friends in two years to start having these wake up calls either. RIP Steve, Stephen, Jay and Omar. All dead before 40 from heart attacks that DIDN’T have to happen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If we're being real here the meat industry is just as bad if not worse yet it's not really very cool to promote veganism.

It's a fucking disgusting death industry first of all, we are almost all raised on it without a choice, and think of the health and environmental negatives.

Dairy and meat are junk?

Nah. You can go down the vegan way, but we're talking about nutrition here, and dairy/meat are very good sources of nutrition.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayK47

Your right. It is the parent's fault. And since both are fat, no surprise to see fat kids. I see it all too often.

My kid was going to in person school and they would send food home for the online days. It was crap. Hearing my daughter explain what she had for breakfast and lunch, I was surprised to hear pancake this and waffle that. I thought schools were doing a better job feeding kids for lunch these days. I know the food was better when I was in school back in the 80s and 90s. Not sure what Michelle Obama did to make school lunches better. It doesn't seem to have made it to my school district is liberal ass MN.

teezzy

Banned
Your right. It is the parent's fault. And since both are fat, no surprise to see fat kids. I see it all too often.

My kid was going to in person school and they would send food home for the online days. It was crap. Hearing my daughter explain what she had for breakfast and lunch, I was surprised to hear pancake this and waffle that. I thought schools were doing a better job feeding kids for lunch these days. I know the food was better when I was in school back in the 80s and 90s. Not sure what Michelle Obama did to make school lunches better. It doesn't seem to have made it to my school district is liberal ass MN.

Trump administration were dickheads and pulled the regulations. Good for our kids, bad for corporations. Even did it on Michelle Obama's birthday... I don't believe that was a coincidence.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
my kids hate soda

This is the easiest way to get fat. There's so much added sugar in a small can. Same thing goes for Gatorade/Powerade. Our healthy range for added sugar is like 1/3rd to 1/4th of a typical Gatorade bottle.

These parents need to get creative and unorthodox about how they can approach their children getting out of obesity and into a healthier range. They find relief and satisfaction from eating these foods (which are usually pricey), so money isn't the issue. I would tell them to just be strict on eating habits, but once the child is out of view, they can definitely go get it themselves.

highrider

Banned
I mean if you’re going to eat natural foods that’s great, but I think a lot of people realistically won’t. It just comes down to simple calories and what you do in terms of activity. This is a far greater threat to life in America than Covid 19.

People just love good tasting food, which is usually loaded with sugar, salt and/or fat, especially when it's meant to be affordable. They're taught that it's normal to have dessert every day.

Junkfood, candy and soda should be treated like trips to a theme park; Something special you treat yourself with once in a while. You can't spend your entire life on a rollercoaster, just like how you can't live off of twinkies.

Tschumi

You're on a roll with the food posts bro!

Yeah it's awful. This isn't totally useful, but I'll say that i remember a film called Precious in which the girl was turned into a walking tub o lard by the specific, vindictive intention of her crazy mother...

G-Bus

Banned
Even worse is seeing fat dogs. That really gets me.

Don't see a ton of fat people where I'm at but it's sad when you so see that big family with the big kids and the grocery cart explains a lot of it. Lack of education? Laziness? Don't care?

I kind of get it though. It's easy. Have days where I eat like crap. Stretches into weeks. Then you go back to eating well and your quickly reminded what it's like to actually feel good.

You get into that shitty routine and diet and you forget what feeling good actually feels like. So simply just being full and content and keeping those cravings at bay has now replaced what feeling good is. Imagine growing up like that and never really knowing what a good healthy diet feels like.

Last edited:

Banned
Haha the fat dog^ Yeah and usually the family is fat too. Definitely a lot of large people in the south and you see the whole family that way. Kids are going to eat what their parents each so it’s definitely the parents fault.

Meat by itself doesn't make you obese, so keep your little political activism out of this thread and make your own, please.

Sybb

Banned
When it comes to kids, it's obviously the parents' fault. A lot of parents today spend so little time with their children, that they feel a strong urge to be friends with their children in what little time they have, rather than setting limits and acting like actual parents. This leads to kids getting what they want all the time, because parents are desperate to see them happy.

When it comes to adults, it's their own fault. Never ever blame people's decisions on food, sweets, guns etc. It's not the motorbike that makes people crash and have accidents, it's always the individual.

And on topic, completely concur (no surprise coming from me, I guess... : D ).
It's definitely not easy to be that perfect parent always, though.

I you are adult and fat, learn to cook for yourself, don't buy processed foods, only eat when you are hungry and eat that you are barely full afterwards, and do some sport you love plus some 5 minute workouts every day (pull ups, push ups, planking).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

also: a lot of parents are lazy, so they buy the "here just nuke it" food and all the sugary drinks and candy, because why prepare it when you can just shove it in your mouth.

I try to stick to produce and meat, and even I have my days where i just say fuck it and eat a bag of doritos and down some dr.pepper. It's not easy eating healthy because there is so much shit just always being thrown in your face.
Yup. And that's the right way to do it.

The checkout section is also a trash section of impulse purchases (candy, beer nuts, National Enquirer and other junk).

The middle aisle you describe is in most stores. That's usually a combination of junk to begin with or it's the big bargain aisle where the weekly sale of pop, pallets of chips, $2 boxes of shitty Quaker Oats sugary oatmeal and other cheap snacks are piled high as the deals of the week.

Most people will do the perimeter trot for essentials, but they tease people to shop the middle of non-essential junk and the check out section for the big profits.

Sybb

Banned
yeah, HFCS is literal poison. It should be heavily taxed, as it's done with cigarettes.
Stop blaming taxes and subsidiaries when it's all about what decisions people make when they shop.

Left wing mentality = everything is because of society, norms and systems, the individual is always an innocent tabula rasa sheep
Right wing mentality = everything is because of the individual's decision, it's all about willpower and discipline

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember a shit load of classmates eating these at lunch in the 80s. So that's mom and pop buying these by the box and dumping them into kid's lunches.

At the time, no kids think of it because it's just crackers and cheese. But it's actually salty buttery crackers and not even real cheese.

Googling it, these types of things (3 crackers and fake cheese) is 100 calories alone.

voly4jzry5701.jpg

Last edited:

Sybb

Banned
I remember a shit load of classmates eating these at lunch in the 80s. So that's mom and pop buying these by the box and dumping them into kid's lunches.

At the time, no kids think of it because it's just crackers and cheese. But it's actually salty buttery crackers and not even real cheese.

Googling it, these types of things (3 crackers and fake cheese) is 100 calories alone.

voly4jzry5701.jpg
Solution, eat with discipline (don't eat too much of it). And again, stop blaming other factors than yourself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

No doubt. Can't blame kids. If parents are pigs and stock the fridge with junk food, it's not like a 10 year old is going to go grocery shopping himself and carve out his section of the fridge and cabinets with his nutritious food. No kid should even be spending his or her time spending their own money buying their own set of groceries. That's a parent's job.

Walk around a grocery store and a fat kid will be beside a fat parent with a shopping cart full of chips, Coke and pop tarts. A skinny kid is likely going to be beside a normal size parent.

Not too often you see a lean fit parent beside Fat Albert or vice versa.

I'm actually surprised when I hear people say schools provided breakfast or lunch. When I went to school in the 80s and early 90s, none of the schools provided this. At best lunch time during elementary school has a table of drinks and cookies your could buy, and high school was a small kitchen where you could buy more things like pizza slices, milk, and there was a vending machine for pop.

And I don't even think any of this food (aside from the pop machine) was even open during breakfast time.

Aside from that, you were on your own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom