• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Children at R-Rated Movies

This happened to me when I was watching Blade Runner 2049 yesterday.

I was really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 ever since the movie was announced. The 1982 movies was one of my favorites and I really enjoy Arrival which get me even more hyped. Without being said, I went to nearest theater which has Dolby Atmos. Usually I don't go to such detail but Deakins recommends to watch Dolby version :p. I picked the earliest time and the best seat and I was ready to go!

But then, 10 minutes in, group of children (probably at the age around 10-13) without adults to accompany sat beside me which taken me by surprise. They probably got a pass because the theater was more than half empty. They talked to each other, gobbled their food, rested their feet in front and played with their smartphones. The most annoying one when they giggled like crazy during the love scene. I asked them to be more quiet couple times which they did, only to do the same few minutes after. In the end I just gave up and tried my best to concentrate.

Yeah so basically this is a venting thread. It really irritates me where in my place, you can watch whatever you want as long as you paid. Did anyone have similar experience?

P.S I still enjoyed the movie though :p

I'm surprised you could hear them

I generally choose to go to Dolby showings for movies I care about. Not only is it a better viewing experience but the sound drowns out idiots in the theater (though I can't say I've had to deal with kids, maybe they're loud/high pitched enough to break through)

2049 was particularly nuts with Dolby's seat-rattling awesomeness blasting you, so I'm kind of surprised it was an issue for you. Must have been bad....

I actually, luckily, haven't had to deal with this for years. Either loud kids sneaking into my screenings or parents bringing children who shouldn't be there. I have for years been going to the movies at strange times like weekday mornings or afternoons on the last week of a run or something, so I think that has something to do with it. After school and especially during opening nights/weeks, this type of attendee seems prevalent.

Jenov

I probably would have just told the theater staff to remove them if they were being that obnoxious.

Adults can also be disruptive sadly.

I thought this thread was about children actually in R-Rated movies at which point I would mention that Robocop 2 kid.

This is not what I expected entering this thread.

I don't know, OP, adults in cinemas around here aren't quiet either.

Mediking

Kids will be kids....

But uhhhhhh...

There's a sex scene in the new BR?

"You're the real kid, KID!" Lol

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
All teens are bad, rowdy teens are worse and the ones who go into cinemas to ruin other moviegoers' experience are the worst. Sorry to hear that OP.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
There was a group of these teens that were heckling at my screening of Alien Covenant too.

The dilemma was that their comments were actually providing more entertainment for the most of the audience than the actual movie, which kinda says something for the quality of the film.

Still, it's a dick maneuver. I loathe these people.

This is why I see every movie at Alamo Drafthouse. They talk, I put up a card, they get one warning, they talk again, they're gone.

Also no infants. Though I do love getting screaming children/their parents kicked out of movies.

A weird thing I've started to notice, the elderly are generally worse than teens. I've had 2 sets removed from the last films I've been at (at Alamo) because they felt the need to talk during every quiet moment.

Boss X

Banned
“Children in R-Rated” movies I was expecting
Halloween-5-halloween-5-the-revenge-of-michael-myers-35411454-1920-1080.jpg

dark_chris

I still remember that one time a mom brought her 3 year old to watch Resident Evil. What a shit idea since the kid got scared shitless and screamed a lot to the zombies and jump scares.

I'm surprised you could hear them

I generally choose to go to Dolby showings for movies I care about. Not only is it a better viewing experience but the sound drowns out idiots in the theater (though I can't say I've had to deal with kids, maybe they're loud/high pitched enough to break through)

2049 was particularly nuts with Dolby's seat-rattling awesomeness blasting you, so I'm kind of surprised it was an issue for you. Must have been bad....

Yeah, I actually kinda amazed that I can still hear them.

Sorry, OP. Probably worth going to see it again :) that movie was so good

I most definitely will :).

Also, I should have titled the thread better.

Mediking

There was a group of these teens that were heckling at my screening of Alien Covenant too.

The dilemma was that their comments were actually providing more entertainment for the most of the audience than the actual movie, which kinda says something for the quality of the film.

Still, it's a dick maneuver. I loathe these people.

Lmao I'm dying

Reversed

I believe parents had to do "the talk" to their children hours after they got to see Deadpool.

I cannot imagine the gut wrenching feeling of embarrassment.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This is why I go to Flix Brewhouse or Alamo drafthouse for any movie I'm looking forward to. They will kick you out without a refund immediately. Not an option in most cities though.

Hazmat

This is why I go to Flix Brewhouse or Alamo drafthouse for any movie I'm looking forward to. They will kick you out without a refund immediately. Not an option in most cities though.

Alamo Drafthouse is great for this. Most (all?) shows are 18+ unless with a parent. Great for keeping dumbass teenagers out.

mcfrank

Shit like this is why I barely go to the movies any more (though I am seeing blade runner in 2 hours). Even at ArcLight, which supposedly polices this stuff and has higher ticket prices, the crowds have become insufferable. I can’t wait for the Drafthouse in LA to open. Hopefully that will be better.

Apparently when that mel gibson shit film the Passion of the Christ came out movie theaters in red states were absolute shit and full of chrisitian families and their kids.

Just yell "HEY, SHUT UP." really loud. Works for me, but then again, I wait till previews are over and the move starts and I can look intimidating when I want.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Apparently when that mel gibson shit film the Passion of the Christ came out movie theaters in red states were absolute shit and full of chrisitian families and their kids.

I mean, almost every Christian church has realistic imagery of an innocent man dying in unbelievable agony nailed to a cross and bleeding profusely. It’s one of those things you don’t notice because you’re inured to it by immersion. Imagine you went to McDonald’s and there were severed head sculptures everywhere.

Adults can also be disruptive sadly.

I thought this thread was about children actually in R-Rated movies at which point I would mention that Robocop 2 kid.

I was going to mention X-23 in Logan. But still, some kids just don't know how to act in theaters, and some adults just bring kids to inappropriate settings.

I saw it in middle school with my church, in California. I'm not religious anymore, who would have guessed

I notice alot of kids during Deadpool showing cause you know super-hero movie. Then the sex scenes happened I glance over to see if they are watching and how the parents reacted yep they were all watching like it was nothing. I find grown ups are more annoying at theaters though.

TylerD

The second time we saw Mother! a family with 3 younger (under 13) kids came in about 30 mins into the movie. They were a bit disruptive but thankfully they left after 20 mins. I was going to tell the parents that they really don’t want them in there for the last 30-40 of the movie if they stayed much longer.

There were some kids on the Deadpool and Logan showings that I went but I'll never forget when someone brought a baby to the theater in a showing of Flight.

Ogodei

I remember when i went to see Dawn of Justice that a woman came in with two kids who had to be under 5 years old. Not quite "ruined the movie" level, but it was up there.

It's like, damn, if you're babysitting there's always a rotation of 2-3 PG movies in the mix.

I'd get them kicked out.

Or I'd get my ticket refunded.

Depends how mean I felt towards the future of humanity that day 🌍

Kthulhu

I'm always surprised when parents bring young children into R rated films. Not necessarily judging them depending on the movie, but just surprised.

MC Safety

I go to matinees to avoid kids, which is odd because we always called them kiddy matinees.

There's really nothing you can do to prevent idiocy at the movies. I'll tell people to be quiet, and sometimes they hear it without understanding it. I went to the movies once and a man and his child were chatting overloud throughout the whole thing. I told the father to be quiet, that his talking was loud and distracting. He looked at me and, I am not making this up, told me he would try. I could have pressed the issue, but there was no point. Here was a guy who didn't get it and his kid would grow up to be as dumb as or dumber than daddy.

The path of least resistance is physically moving, but that's not a good strategy if the theater is packed.

The Firefly special hell should also take in people stupid enough to bring small children to scary movies.

I had grown up without my Dad taking me to R-Rated movies, I wouldn’t have gotten into film. I thought this was a common thing, so long as the parent has the sense to teach their child what’s right and wrong, not to emulate extreme behaviors shown and the child is quiet and respectful during the screening.

D3M0N_G3R

Neo Member
Nothing is worse than talking people in the movies, but the funny thing is Blade Runner 2049 is allowed for people at the age of 12 in Germany o_O and even 6 if there accompanied by a parent, its pretty absurd.

III-V

I thought you meant children in R rated movies movies not children in movie theaters watching R rated movies.

I expected the thread to be about kids acting in R-Rated movies. I would of worded the Thread title of Children at R-Rated movies.

For the topic when I seen Deadpool there were a few kids there. Not sure if they left or anything. I did notice A Kid and their parent leaving during Suicide Squad.

Wag

I was working the door of my local AMC theater when Deadpool came out. I can't tell you how many parents tried to sneak their kids in. Many parents would buy a ticket for themselves and their kids, drop their kids off in the theater and walk out- and try to get a refund on their way out the door.

Im shocked 10-13 yr olds would even want to see bladerunner.

Alsi just pay the extra 5 bucks or whatever it is and go at night. Less kids if any.

Top Bottom