• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

China: Fishermen catch wildly huge 686-pound fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishermen have caught a giant grouper that weighed 683 pounds (310kg) near the Nansha Islands. The fish was sold to a hotelier in Dongyuan, because apparently that's what one does upon catching an utterly massive mutant fish.

Groupers are deep sea fish that usually weigh under about 3.3 pounds, or 1.5 kilograms.

Just last month, a 50kg bighead carp was cooked in the 23nd Chinese Chef Festival in Changsa, but that was nothing compared to this monstrosity.

http://shanghaiist.com/2013/11/12/photos_a_683_pound_giant_grouper_ca.php

Famassu

Sep 11, 2010
If that's real and not just another China-is-great BS story, I wouldn't want to eat the fish. Who knows how much shit has accumulated inside it, having grown so freakishly big and all. There's some unhealthy amounts of mercury & shit in much smaller fish, don't even want to know how much all kinds of crap does that thing have, especially knowing it has come from China with such super-strict environmental protection.

TheMan

Jul 31, 2006
If that's real and not just another China-is-great BS story, I wouldn't want to eat the fish. Who knows how much shit has accumulated inside it, having grown so freakishly big and all. There's some unhealthy amounts of mercury & shit in much smaller fish, don't even want to know how much all kinds of crap does that thing have, especially knowing it has come from China with such super-strict environmental protection.

maybe you'd turn into a superhero after eating all that radioactive shit

Byakuya769

Jul 31, 2007
Badly written article with bad science. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of species of groupers. Which one is this?

Mutanthands

Jul 19, 2005
Thing was probably hundreds of years old to grow that big.

It belongs in a museum. Where's Indiana Jones when you need him?

Byakuya769

Jul 31, 2007
Groupers are deep sea fish that usually weigh under about 3.3 pounds, or 1.5 kilograms.

Primates are terrestrial mammals that usually weigh under about 10 pounds, or 4.5 kilograms. This one grew to 165 pounds!!!!

commedieu

Banned
Jan 10, 2009
Would love to know its age to veirfy my theory that its young, and chemicals have affected its growth....

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jun 15, 2006
I swear some animals on this planet look like they come from another world.

and fish are one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.