• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China is getting fucked by the new Corona Virus, consoles will probably be delayed

DISCLAIMER: YES A LOT OF PEOPLE IS DYING AND THE WORLD IS IN DANGER BECAUSE OF THIS DISEASE, I KNOW! AND I'VE POSTED IN THE OT MANY TIMES WORRIED ABOUT IT AND ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE DYING. BUT THIS IS THE GAMING SIDE AND I WANTED TO EXPLAIN WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE INDUSTRY WE LOVE. THAT'S ALL.

Like OsirisBlack OsirisBlack commented yesterday, things in China are pretty bad and the CCP has not been giving us convincing numbers... here's the update for today.

If this thing does not get controlled soon the consoles and probably a lot of electronics production will be affected.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned

Like OsirisBlack OsirisBlack commented yesterday, things in China are pretty bad and the CCP has not been giving us convincing numbers... here's the update for today.

If this thing does not get controlled soon the consoles and probably a lot of electronics production will be affected.

Not to be insensitive to your console plight, I would consider the losses of life in China far more significant than the console creation/distribution crisis.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Fuck all those people dying from it, give me my electronics, amiright? Disgusting.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's off topic discussion, here we care and mourn about the effects people dropping like flies has on our precious gaming hardware releases. Smh.

Edit: lame excuses by folks, yeah, get fucked then. Knee-jerks, lol. That's considerate talk right, I'm not being offensive to you by saying that, right? Just like the OP title? Cos it couldn't be worded something like, China coronavirus disaster's possible effects on the industry or something, right?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That's what you're worried about?

A lot of people dead and you're worried about consoles getting delayed?

Not to be insensitive to your console plight, I would consider the losses of life in China far more significant than the console creation/distribution crisis.

Are we ResetEra now? Trying to twist people's words to shame them and be outraged.

He never said that. But this is the gaming section, so it makes sense to discuss how world news can effect video games.

Why not just go into every thread and tell everyone to stop talking about video games because there's a bunch of bad shit going on in the world.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
tenor.gif

If f developer unfortunately passed away, and the team stated a new game wouldn't come out, would you be pissed at someone reporting that the game wouldn't come out and to mourn the person who passed? A report is a report, a theory is just a theory or, in this case, I think he's just trying to begin a discussion.

Last edited:
Honestly there is no point in consoles coming out this year they can launch it in march like the switch. hopefully this shit can be controlled by then for the whole world sake.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I think you can talk about the effects this will have on manufacturing and a global economy without forgetting the fact there’s a specific human toll...these things are not mutually exclusive. If a surgical mask manufacturer as part of their fiduciary duty calculates and reports increased profits because of the disease, does that make them cold hearted profiteers or are they just increasing life-saving supply to meet the increased demand?

Whether or not manufacturing is going effected is an interesting subject, and also my heart goes out to the victims

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Unless OP edited his original post, I'm not sure what people are going at him for. All he's doing is relaying information that might occur. That doesn't mean he cares more about consoles than the lives of people suffering. It's just a reality, and there's room to talk about it while also acknowledging what's going on is horrible. It doesn't mean he's prioritizing their importance.

I don't want to panic but every day the news about the Virus has me by the edge. I'm not worried about the Consoles getting delayed OP, Don't want this to be a Contagion movie senario.

Pallas

No one reading the disclaimer? It’s important news on the gaming side. I mean it is awful at the number of desths(and there’s an OT for that in off topic) that’s happened but this could and probably will undoubtedly delay next gen unless Sony/Microsoft has alternate strategies/plans.

Edit: I think OP edited the disclaimer afterwards, still if anyone has been following the OT, they will realize that OP isn’t putting gaming in front of human lives.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I could care less about new consoles coming at this point. I’d rather see all international travel banned and the entire North American continent quarantined and removed from opening its doors to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I see it more as this is speculation that there could be a delay on consoles but until there's direct knowledge on the matter and it seems like the greater concern is the virus itself.

Insensitivity be damned, last time I checked there's tons of impoverished countries that could supplant China's relentless lack of human rights so that we can get our shit on time.

Max_Po

Banned
"Alot of People is dying".....

Yea before worry about console delays and people is dying I would log off and redo middle school or from grade 2 onwards...

Need to re learn Englsih sentence structure.

vpance

This will be a good test to see how stable the trade/economic system really is.

Wondering how dependent we are on one another.

All the world's stuff is made in China. The impact will be huge once the main factories announce they are affected and the numbers (earnings, shipments) start to come out.

"Alot of People is dying".....

Yea before worry about console delays and people is dying I would log off and redo middle school or from grade 2 onwards...

Need to re learn Englsih sentence structure.

We have people here from all over the world. i never even went to school in this country idiot.

killatopak

Gold Member
It already has affected my other hobbies. Factories are being closed temporarily near Wuhan as far I know.

Whether it’ll affect the console launch remains to be seen. We don’t know how long the virus will be relevant.

Bitch ... you use "are" with plurals...that's taught in every fucking country. I grew up in a third world country.
plurals are taught in arabic? who really gives shit anyway, except nit-picky assholes. I live in miami, and many people don't even speak english here so i learned spanish. i don't complain like a little bitch.

Last edited:

dolabla

There may be good news. A San Diego lab is saying they have created a vaccine for the coronvirus:

SAN DIEGO — In a race against the clock, a San Diego lab is scrambling to get a COVID-19 vaccine out and on the market. As the days go by, Inovio Pharmaceuticals is getting closer to releasing the desperately needed vaccine against the deadly virus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, which is located in Sorrento Valley, has also created a vaccine for the Zika virus, the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and the vaccine for Ebola.

Dr. Trevor Smith, who is the director of research and development at Inovio, said, "It's something we are trained to do, and the infrastructure is here and the expertise is in house."

When Chinese scientists released the genetic sequence on Jan. 9, Inovio researchers got to work immediately and within 3 hours they had a vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19 as it is now being referred to.

"We have an algorithm which we designed, and we put the DNA sequence into our algorithm and came up with the vaccine in that short amount of time," said Dr. Smith.

The vaccine has been tested on mice and guinea pigs. It will next be tried on a group of human patients

Scientists hope the vaccine will work like a piece of biological software. In other words, the vaccine will give the human body instructions to create the proper attack in the form of T-cells and antibodies against COVID-19.

If all goes as planned, the vaccine could be made available to the public by early this summer - which would be a record time frame for Inovio Pharmaceuticals.

Top Bottom