• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News China to impose controversial security laws on Hong Kong. USA threatens sanctions

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Glad that USA is already discussing sanctions. These authoritarian little bat-slurpers can't help themselves, can they? They dose their own people with a disease, spread it around the world, deny blame and even blame it on the USA, and now they're making moves to crack down on Hong Kong?

Trump was right. We've been too soft on China.

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
It's just China engaging in surprise economic intercourse with Hong Kong, like Joe Biden wants them to do to us.
Speaking of Biden, a new poll came out today from Fox and one of the questions was about China and who would do a better job. They had Biden doing better job on China than Trump by a 43 to 37 margin :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Who the fuck are they polling?

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
Speaking of Biden, a new poll came out today from Fox and one of the questions was about China and who would do a better job. They had Biden doing better job on China than Trump by a 43 to 37 margin :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This just goes to show the majority of people aren't paying attention. This will flip once the campaigns officially kick off.

For those that don't know, Joe Biden is confirmed to be bought off by China. He absolutely cannot be trusted to handle the fallout from COVID-19. If President Trump plays his cards right he'll form a colloltion that'll collapse the CCP, uniting all of east Asia. If Biden is in office, China will be unstoppable. It's really a simple choice.

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Has to be.

If there is one thing (whether you hate Trump or not) that he should easily win out on, it's China. He HATES them and has a track record of smashing their asses (verbally and tariffs) in the short period of time he's been in politics. He would be the way more likely choice to wreak havoc on them and it's not even close.

Biden has been in politics for 40+ years and has not done a damn thing about China. His history has been one of coddling them and saying they are of no threat.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

All these polls are wacky. Trump is up and down in them by 5-7% week to week. Something is wrong with their methodologies if there is that much shift in both directions with absolutely nothing happening differently between the weeks.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
This just goes to show the majority of people aren't paying attention. This will flip once the campaigns officially kick off.

For those that don't know, Joe Biden is confirmed to be bought off by China. He absolutely cannot be trusted to handle the fallout from COVID-19. If President Trump plays his cards right he'll form a colloltion that'll collapse the CCP, uniting all of east Asia. If Biden is in office, China will be unstoppable. It's really a simple choice.
Trump needs to kick off his campaign soon, preferably after signing whatever relief bill the Senate and House compromise on so the media can't scream that he is doing nothing as the country suffers. He can't afford to pull a Hillary and take the election for granted.

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
Trump needs to kick off his campaign soon, preferably after signing whatever relief bill the Senate and House compromise on so the media can't scream that he is doing nothing as the country suffers. He can't afford to pull a Hillary and take the election for granted.
Don't worry, President Trump ran one of the best campaigns in history. He has barely started to work on Biden. He'll wait until the virus dies down so the news can't bury the attacks.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
almost as if keeping lock downs would prevent Trump from campaigning. :unsure:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Sakura Doritos

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Don't worry, President Trump ran one of the best campaigns in history. He has barely started to work on Biden. He'll wait until the virus dies down so the news can't bury the attacks.
I do worry - the country is in the best position ever to cut off the fucking red leech that has plagued us since the 70s, and we need Trump to win so it can happen. Destroying our relationship with China will cause some short-term pain, but the long-term benefits of self-sufficiency will make the US stronger than it is now as China ties us down and steals from us while exploiting their citizens. If Trump wins, he can immediately get at it without an election looming over his head, and now that the Mueller shit is completely behind us there is not much Democrats can do to hinder him.

almost as if keeping lock downs would prevent Trump from campaigning. :unsure:
Someone said as much in another topic, that Michigan should block Trump from campaigning there because he flouted their little fake orders.

TBH, I'm really starting to wonder why Cuomo et al sent those infected patients to nursing homes, spread as far as possible. Seems like a convenient way to inflate the death count for a virus that underperformed. Probably getting a little Alex Jonesy, but Trump's attacks on China have the powerful scared shitless. And China is somehow magically going to grow 6% over the next year as they suck-up all the lost manufacturing capacity from the US and the rest of the world. . .really makes me think.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Remember that thread about how old Trump voters are the ones dying?

Looks like they were putting the plan into effect.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

That’s what I’m wondering. I have yet to meet anyone in real life who likes anything about Biden or would consider themself a Biden supporter.

Reactions: dolabla

Sterling88

Sep 19, 2019
I really hope Trump does something and this isn't all just lip service. Nobody deserves to be at the mercy of the CCP.

Sterling88

Sep 19, 2019
The Chinese people do if they won’t collectively overthrow them and install a new government. China needs another revolution.
They're too brainwashed by propaganda and the constant surveillance state at this point I'm afraid. I don't think the CCP can be overthrown without outside influence unless something -crazy- happens there.

Reactions: Starlight Lotice

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
They're too brainwashed by propaganda and the constant surveillance state at this point I'm afraid. I don't think the CCP can be overthrown without outside influence unless something -crazy- happens there.
It’s their burden to carry, not ours. Starve long enough and you might start questioning the propaganda telling you how great your government is. With internet access this time around, maybe they’ll be more likely to break the conditioning than during the Great Leap Forward.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Gashtronomy

longdi

Ni hao ma, fellow kids?
Jun 7, 2004
I really hope Trump does something and this isn't all just lip service. Nobody deserves to be at the mercy of the CCP.
Resources are better spent elsewhere. 🤷‍♀️
HK is part of china anyway, by 2047 latest.
Capitalistic greed have destroyed HK people, imagine allowing citizens to live in a 200sqft 'home'.
Im surprised the HK people have not revolt against the rich businessmen responsible for their sufferings.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012

Fox poll's are often done by a liberal group and are very often shit.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Hong Kong is part of China now, deal with it. It really isn't anybody else's business. Imagine what you'd think if China decided to impose sanctions on your country due to some element of your domestic policy?

China is an authoritarian regime with a horrible track record when it comes to human rights. We already knew that. Does it stop us from doing business with China? Nope. Acting like it's fine in the rest of China but not in Hong Kong is ummm, convenient I suppose? What's changed? Oh right, we're in the middle of a pandemic and economic collapse due in large part to gridlock at the federal level. Let's get Americans to forget about that if we can by blaming China for everything.

I find it particularly entertaining that the US thinks its in a position to criticize China's government considering the state of our own federal government. Let's put our time and energy into cleaning up our own glass house instead of throwing stones at China's.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Hong Kong is part of China now, deal with it. It really isn't anybody else's business. Imagine what you'd think if China decided to impose sanctions on your country due to some element of your domestic policy?

China is an authoritarian regime with a horrible track record when it comes to human rights. We already knew that. Does it stop us from doing business with China? Nope. Acting like it's fine in the rest of China but not in Hong Kong is ummm, convenient I suppose?
lol British colonies need to get over themselves. We should stop trying to stand up for our allies. etc.

I'm all for the pragmatic "look, here's the reality of the situation" attitude but at the same time, the people of Hong Kong are resisting this. Foreign nations aren't rattling sabers to "liberate" Hong Kong against their will. Are you unable to find solidarity with them, even if you've resigned yourself to accept the outcome?

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States

China is an authoritarian regime with a horrible track record when it comes to human rights. We already knew that. Does it stop us from doing business with China? Nope. Acting like it's fine in the rest of China but not in Hong Kong is ummm, convenient I suppose?
🤔

China imposes sanctions on U.S. after passing of Patriot Act.

And the British would still do nothing. Of course.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
lol British colonies need to get over themselves. We should stop trying to stand up for our allies. etc.

I'm all for the pragmatic "look, here's the reality of the situation" attitude but at the same time, the people of Hong Kong are resisting this. Foreign nations aren't rattling sabers to "liberate" Hong Kong against their will. Are you unable to find solidarity with them, even if you've resigned yourself to accept the outcome?
Being sympathetic to their plight doesn't empower me to do anything substantial about it. If I had the power/money to do so I'd be using it to address America's problems, not China's.

Why on earth should I be more worried about the rights of Hong Kong citizens than I am about the homeless in America, for example? Why should I care more about the citizens of Hong Kong than I do about providing a living wage to every American?

America has real problems that need real attention. We don't have time for hand-wringing over the domestic policy of our largest trading partner outside of North America.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Being sympathetic to their plight doesn't empower me to do anything substantial about it. If I had the power/money to do so I'd be using it to address America's problems, not China's.
Sympathy toward plight is a far cry from "Hong Kong is a part of China so deal with it" but I understand your sentiment.

However, if there was a time for international leaders to raise a racket about China's treatment of Hong Kong, certainly now would be the time instead of lamenting that we didn't do enough later? China ain't the most popular gov't with other countries around the world right now. Seems politically sensible to push against China on all fronts while public opinion is swaying to that side, especially if you expect China to dump a bunch of propaganda into the mix and lead people astray on the topic.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
🤔

China imposes sanctions on U.S. after passing of Patriot Act.

And the British would still do nothing. Of course.
Patriot Act wasn't solely domestic policy. China certainly didn't impose sanctions on behalf of Americans citizens living in the new surveillance state, lol.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Sympathy toward plight is a far cry from "Hong Kong is a part of China so deal with it" but I understand your sentiment.

However, if there was a time for international leaders to raise a racket about China's treatment of Hong Kong, certainly now would be the time instead of lamenting that we didn't do enough later? China ain't the most popular gov't with other countries around the world right now. Seems politically sensible to push against China on all fronts while public opinion is swaying to that side, especially if you expect China to dump a bunch of propaganda into the mix and lead people astray on the topic.
I'm still not sure why changing China's domestic policy with respect to internal security is a priority for any other country. If it was a priority then sure, now might be a better time to go about it, particularly if you require a coalition.

I'm just confused about why it is a priority at any time, much less now. Our house is burning down and we're worried that one of our neighbors isn't mowing his lawn.

And ultimately our leadership isn't worried about it. You think Trump gives a shit about human rights in Hong Kong outside of any potential effect it might have on the global economy? Ha. This is just more distraction. Let's focus on China so maybe we can get Americans to forget about the messes at home, particularly in an election year. You're being played.

Last edited:

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Patriot Act wasn't solely domestic policy. China certainly didn't impose sanctions on behalf of Americans citizens living in the new surveillance state, lol.
No, but if they did, the U.S. would complain about it and tell China to mind it's own business. Point being, I think we should mind our own buisness on this matter since it has very little to do with us.

In fact, the British should stop being so lazy and do something about it. It's a former colony of theirs. They've become so lazy since the loss off the empire. Morale is still low, I suppose.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
In fact, the British should stop being so lazy and do something about it. It's a former colony of theirs. They've become so lazy since the loss off the empire. Morale is still low, I suppose.
The Atlantic has a story on it from back during the most recent round of protests. https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/07/britains-responsibility-to-hong-kong/594142/

The gist of it is that even if Britain was motivated to do something about it they don't have the soft(or hard) power to do anything other than talk.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I'm still not sure why changing China's domestic policy with respect to internal security is a priority for any other country.
Perhaps others do not share your sterile perspective that this is just a "domestic policy", and that is why people are raising a stink about it. Where do the uighurs and christians and falun gong fit into China's "domestic policy"?

If it was a priority then sure, now might be a better time to go about it, particularly if you require a coalition.

I'm just confused about why it is a priority at any time, much less now. Our house is burning down and we're worried that one of our neighbors isn't mowing his lawn.

And ultimately our leadership isn't worried about it. You think Trump gives a shit about human rights in Hong Kong outside of any potential effect it might have on the global economy? Ha. This is just more distraction. Let's focus on China so maybe we can get Americans to forget about the messes at home, particularly in an election year. You're being played.
I've been following this story for years. I'm not being distracted from anything. Are you under the impression that one cannot simultaneously handle the current crisis while keeping an eye on foreign behavior that might have consequences down the road? If you are puzzled why the world should care about it now, then it leads to the question why China is pushing these controversial measures now, too.

Reactions: matt404au

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Perhaps others do not share your sterile perspective that this is just a "domestic policy", and that is why people are raising a stink about it. Where do the uighurs and christians and falun gong fit into China's "domestic policy"?
They get sent to re-education camps and if they survive that they face a life of indentured servitude in factory cities. Did that stop America from doing business with China? Sure didn't. If we didn't feel like doing anything about them why are we suddenly up in arms over a few more laws for Hong Kong?
I've been following this story for years. I'm not being distracted from anything. Are you under the impression that one cannot simultaneously handle the current crisis while keeping an eye on foreign behavior that might have consequences down the road? If you are puzzled why the world should care about it now, then it leads to the question why China is pushing these controversial measures now, too.
It isn't an impression, it is fact. America isn't handling the pandemic crisis. It isn't handling the economic crisis. They're both catastrophes of epic and lasting proportion. China's domestic policy is a gnat in comparison.

China isn't just doing it now, they've been doing it continually. They've been tightening their grasp everywhere, continuously. Unless you're willing to to go to war you're not stopping them. Unless you're willing to retool the global economy over the next 20 years you're not stopping them.

American simply can't afford to be world police today, and probably never will again. I mean that both literally and figuratively. People talk about the sun setting on the British Empire, they're not the only one heading down that road.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
They get sent to re-education camps and if they survive that they face a life of indentured servitude in factory cities. Did that stop America from doing business with China? Sure didn't. If we didn't feel like doing anything about them why are we suddenly up in arms over a few more laws for Hong Kong?

It isn't an impression, it is fact. America isn't handling the pandemic crisis. It isn't handling the economic crisis. They're both catastrophes of epic and lasting proportion. China's domestic policy is a gnat in comparison.

China isn't just doing it now, they've been doing it continually. They've been tightening their grasp everywhere, continuously. Unless you're willing to to go to war you're not stopping them. Unless you're willing to retool the global economy over the next 20 years you're not stopping them.

American simply can't afford to be world police today, and probably never will again. I mean that both literally and figuratively. People talk about the sun setting on the British Empire, they're not the only one heading down that road.
I'm not suggesting that the USA play world police. I'm suggesting we don't shrug and "deal with it", as you originally proposed. The only way China will be able to "tighten their grasp" at this point is if other countries willingly go along with it. They do not have the military nor the demographic strength to do it by themselves. They don't have the financial solvency without the rest of the world underwriting their highly-manipulated currency. They don't even have the technology to keep up which is why they send students to steal Western innovations and bring it home.

So in light of that, the suggestion to "deal with it" is not only lazy and cowardly, it is the specific route by which your fears will be realized. Doesn't mean we go to war. Economic bullying seems to work quite well against the paper tiger, as Trump has proven, and that toothpaste isn't going back into the tube. China is scrambling merely to not collapse. :goog_rofl:

Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Margrat Thatcher sold HK down the river in the mid 80s. She should have said "You are not having this Colony", but probably got some back payment to give them back to China.

The citizens can only do so much to rally against China and their brutal tactics. Boris won't be able to help but at least Trump has forewarned China because having HK as a Democratic middle man is in the US interests.

lyan

May 21, 2017

China is an authoritarian regime with a horrible track record when it comes to human rights. We already knew that. Does it stop us from doing business with China? Nope. Acting like it's fine in the rest of China but not in Hong Kong is ummm, convenient I suppose? What's changed? Oh right, we're in the middle of a pandemic and economic collapse due in large part to gridlock at the federal level. Let's get Americans to forget about that if we can by blaming China for everything.

I find it particularly entertaining that the US thinks its in a position to criticize China's government considering the state of our own federal government. Let's put our time and energy into cleaning up our own glass house instead of throwing stones at China's.
As you are aware the real issue is not about human rights. The Wall Street, and hence Trump, cares about the neutrality of the middle men as the world grows more dependent on the China market. Immediately the HSI dropped 5% today so billions have already vanished from the balance sheet of USA investors.

In the end its all about the stakes of those with deep pockets.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States

zcaa0g

Sep 3, 2018

We're in the middle of a pandemic DUE to China, dumb ass.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
I love it, I love reading 'fuck china' from throngs of people on here, twitter and Facebook et al who are using Apple products, wearing Nike trainers etc.

Just like the hippies who say "save the trees" while using wooden poles to hold their signs up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I love it, I love reading 'fuck china' from throngs of people on here, twitter and Facebook et al who are using Apple products, wearing Nike trainers etc.

Just like the hippies who say "save the trees" while using wooden poles to hold their signs up.
Yes, how silly for the public to criticize bad behavior when it is revealed to them.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Yes, how silly for the public to criticize bad behavior when it is revealed to them.

No dumb, dumb I didn't mean criticise bad behaviour. I meant the idiots hell bent on joining a 'cause' aka hashtag or making some radical statement about how we need to stop dealing/trading with China, all the while living off of and thriving from China.

I thought my hippy analogy would have cleared everything up?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
No dumb, dumb I didn't mean criticise bad behaviour. I meant the idiots hell bent on joining a 'cause' aka hashtag or making some radical statement about how we need to stop dealing/trading with China, all the while living off of and thriving from China.

I thought my hippy analogy would have cleared everything up?
I don't really see the hashtag crowd doing much of anything about it, to be honest. So I agree with your hippy label, I guess I misunderstood.

• Love

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya

Part of the SINO deal was that Hong Kong would remain a special administrative region with "one country, two systems" until 2047. China is trying to muscle in early and violate those terms, so I don't think it's fair or accurate for you to say "Hong Kong is part of China now, deal with it".