• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

China trying to exert pressure on NBA over support for Hong Kong

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

This is just one more reason that proves what Trump is doing with China is right, in my eyes at least. If we don’t smack them down now, imagine what they’ll be like in a decade or two. Who the fuck are they to tell our sports teams what to say and do? I don’t even like fucking basketball and I really hate politics being inserted into sports, but we let that asshole Kaepernick run off at the mouth and all those fucking idiots take the knee without suspending broadcasts, and this is America. Fuck you, China. Go commercialize your own sports to censor.

And in another case, Blizzard banned a player for a year for tweeting support for his home country of Hong Kong:

I’m sure China had a hand in that too. What the hell is happening here?

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Money talks more than freedom, democracy or any other of those things. It has always been that way.
That's a new development. As mentioned in the other thread, the rise of shareholder primacy dictated the rise of the globalist. Globalists then decided that if Nazis need ovens, they might as well corner that market.

Capitalism, like Democracy breaks down on the macro scale. It gets too big, and its ability to run markets effectively without outside manipulation falls to null. The invisible hand of the government needs to step in and protect its markets.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
That's a new development. As mentioned in the other thread, the rise of shareholder primacy dictated the rise of the globalist. Globalists then decided that if Nazis need ovens, they might as well corner that market.

Capitalism, like Democracy breaks down on the macro scale. It gets too big, and its ability to run markets effectively without outside manipulation falls to null. The invisible hand of the government needs to step in and protect its markets.
Im doubtful of that. Before WW2 capitalism was fueling itself in large part from worker exploitation and colonization. So i think the production of wealth in capitalist societies has always precede in importance any type of ethical concerns.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Im doubtful of that. Before WW2 capitalism was fueling itself in large part from worker exploitation and colonization. So i think the production of wealth in capitalist societies has always precede in importance any type of ethical concerns.
Capitalism needs regulation, because most people are moochers, not John Galt. Exploiting others is a failure of human morality.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
They are one of the most powerful and influential countries on earth and yet the GM for a professional sports team in Texas putting out a single tweet is enough to get them to absolutely shit themselves in rage on an international level.

That is just a whole other level of insecurity and fragility.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
They are one of the most powerful and influential countries on earth and yet the GM for a professional sports team in Texas putting out a single tweet is enough to get them to absolutely shit themselves in rage on an international level.

That is just a whole other level of insecurity and fragility.
That is called being a dictatorial communist regime. Gotta control all info all the time, and no room for dissent.

Reactions: pramod

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
A little bit of an update with the nba and China:

The suspension underscores the difficulty American companies face when they want to do business within China’s massive economy, but can’t run the risk of saying anything that will upset the country’s autocratic government.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver defended Morey.

“I think as a values-based organization that I want to make it clear ... that Daryl Morey is supported in terms of his ability to exercise his freedom of expression,” Silver said in an interview with Kyodo News in Tokyo Japan.

CCTV did not agree with Silver’s remarks.

“We are strongly dissatisfied and we oppose Silver’s claim to support Morey’s right of free expression. We believe that any speech that challenges national sovereignty and social stability is not within the scope of freedom of speech,” CCTV said in its statement in Chinese, which was translated by CNBC.

The state-run TV channel also said it will “immediately investigate all co-operation and exchanges involving the NBA.”

China appears to be spreading its backlash beyond just the rockets. CCTV and online broadcast partner Tencent previously said they would not show the games that the Rockets were playing in. Now CCTV and Tencent have cast their net wider to include all the preseason NBA games being played in China.

It’s unclear if this suspension will last into the regular season.

UncleMeat

Jan 21, 2016
Oklahoma City
I'm glad the NBA is showing at least a smidge of a backbone because that initial response from them and the Rockets was pathetic and embarrassing. And then throwing Harden out there to apologize was pretty shameless. But they're still hypocrites who feign outrage over trans bathrooms and the word "owner" while happily doing business with the chinese.

I also read that Nike pulled the Rockets apparel from their chinese webstore. You know, good old "stand for something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Nike.

At least this has helped to show how fake these woke companies are and bring more attention to Honk Kong and spineless American companies.

Last edited:

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
I'm glad the NBA is showing at least a smidge of a backbone because that initial response from them and the Rockets was pathetic and embarrassing. And then throwing Harden out there to apologize was pretty shameless. Bu they're still hypocrites who feign outrage over trans bathrooms and the word "owner" while happily doing business with the chinese.

I also read that Nike pulled the Rockets apparel from their chinese webstore. You know, good old "stand for something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Nike.

At least this has helped to show how fake these woke companies are and bring more attention to Honk Kong and spineless American companies.
China forced Nike to pull it. China is essentially cancelling the rockets merchandise.

• LOL
Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I'm glad the NBA is showing at least a smidge of a backbone because that initial response from them and the Rockets was pathetic and embarrassing. And then throwing Harden out there to apologize was pretty shameless. Bu they're still hypocrites who feign outrage over trans bathrooms and the word "owner" while happily doing business with the chinese.

We should all take a knee for this, eh Kaep?

Porcile

Oct 23, 2012

'He said he would travel to Shanghai on Wednesday and meet the officials to try to "find mutual respect". But he recognised that "this issue might not die down so quickly".'

Well, enjoy the forced labour camp and cultural training, buddy. Send a nice postcard while you're there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

'He said he would travel to Shanghai on Wednesday and meet the officials to try to "find mutual respect". But he recognised that "this issue might not die down so quickly".'

Well, enjoy the forced labour camp and cultural training, buddy. Send a nice postcard while you're there.
Better work on them kowtows.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi
Oct 26, 2018
Hmmm...... what's more important.

1. Freedom, democracy, do what's right for the people

or

2. NBA publicity and revenue from China

NBA execs support #1? Who knew.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
There is no negotiating with China when it comes to to the state. You slight them in any way you’re cancelled. Sounds familiar.

Time to rip off the bandaid, take the losses and restructure for the west in the long term. Easier said than done.

Or maybe like many have said, there is no room for politics in our entertainment. Such words of wisdom.

Last edited:

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
There is no negotiating with China when it comes to to the state. You slight them in any way you’re cancelled. Sounds familiar.

Time to rip off the bandaid, take the losses and restructure for the west in the long term. Easier said than done.

Or maybe like many have said, there is no room for politics in our entertainment. Such words of wisdom.
I try my best to avoid anything Made in China. It's hard.

Oct 26, 2018
I try my best to avoid anything Made in China. It's hard.
Yup. Pretty tough.

Not hard when it comes to produce or meat, but try finding any piece of clothing not made in China or India.

On the plus side, it keeps prices down.

For many things you can buy something made elsewhere.... often European brands made in Germany or Italy. But have fun paying a premium.

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Yup. Pretty tough.

Not hard when it comes to produce or meat, but try finding any piece of clothing not made in China or India.

On the plus side, it keeps prices down.

For many things you can buy something made elsewhere.... often European brands made in Germany or Italy. But have fun paying a premium.
I usually buy Italian clothes. It is multiple times more expensive. However, they are better quality by order of magnitudes, last almost forever and and feel so much better to wear. I completely resigned on cheap clothes because in the end it is better to have 10 high quality shirts rather than 30 low quality, thin shirt that start having holes after washing them a few times. So I buy about two shirts per year and I am very satisfied.

finowns

May 10, 2009
I wonder how woke the NBA and the millionaire basketball players are to 'social justice' when it actually can hurt them.

Reactions: Rgw20014life

finowns

May 10, 2009

or

But remember the NBA pulled out of Charlotte, NC when they disagreed with the bathroom bill there 'morally.' SO these guys are real moral, they never miss a chance to tell us, they will do the right thing in regards to China.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: UncleMeat

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
What are China's demands here? That Morey be fired? That Adam Silver straight out apologize for what he said and denounce the HK protests? Never going to happen (I think). So where does that leave us? No more NBA in China?

Last edited:

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Really happy with Adam Silver's official response though. It's refreshing to see a global company say "I know we're going to lose a lot of money because of this, but it is the right thing to do."

Turkey Master Baster

Formerly 'StarlightLotice'
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Perhaps all the NBA Teams should stop broadcasts in China and refuse any more business with them as it will show them that the NBA are not bowing down.

Alternatively, wear Winneh the Pooh Badges during the games to piss China off more. (apologies for the NBA fans in China of course)

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
Really happy with Adam Silver's official response though. It's refreshing to see a global company say "I know we're going to lose a lot of money because of this, but it is the right thing to do."
What was the response? I imagine it's very tepid.

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
You can read the official response in post 13. He didn't condemn China or anything, and as a businessman it would be stupid of him to, but he basically said the league supports free speech and will have to live with the consequences of that.

Reactions: finowns

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
I have to blame the people who want Chinese money as well, though. Sure, China is a fucked up country, but it's the companies here in America who are cow-towing in order to suck on that Chinese teet. It's not China demanding, it's American companies giving in that has made this a big problem.

finowns

May 10, 2009
I'm glad some of the hypocrisy is being shown so vividly. Adam Sliver, LeBron James, Kaepernick are who we thought they were, businessmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: desertdroog
Apr 5, 2013

or

More like China's money vs US' money. NBA may say they're international but they know who their biggest market still is. As soon as the number of Chinese people rich and stupid enough to pay $200+ for an official jersey outnumbers those in the US, they'll switch tunes. It's still a good answer that resulted in less harm to their brand than just staying silent or capitulating.

finowns

May 10, 2009
I have to blame the people who want Chinese money as well, though. Sure, China is a fucked up country, but it's the companies here in America who are cow-towing in order to suck on that Chinese teet. It's not China demanding, it's American companies giving in that has made this a big problem.
I'd have no problem with companies that do business with China avoiding controversial subjects but you can't have it both ways, your either woke or your not. Nike can't say 'Stand for Something' and do business with China and not be called a hypocrite. Same with the super woke Starbucks who have hundreds of stores in China and lecture America about morality.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
I'd have no problem with companies that do business with China avoiding controversial subjects but you can't have it both ways, your either woke or your not. Nike can't say 'Stand for Something' and do business with China and not be called a hypocrite. Same with the super woke Starbucks who have hundreds of stores in China and lecture America about morality.
Nike: Stand for something, as long as it doesn't offend China.
Blizzard: Every voice matters, except THAT ONE AND THAT ONE. PULL THE CAMERA FEED!

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
Seeing a lot of progressive, woke NBA folk clam up on this. "I need more information" is apparently the company line to sidestep the issue. Steve Kerr, Pop, James, ALL OF ESPN, Bill Simmons, etc. Suddenly they all wish they could shut up and dribble.

The super left sports media is actually taking the NBA to task on this. Deadspin and Jemele Hill are openly criticizing the NBA over this. So I give them props for consistency. Deadspin came out with the story that ESPN sent out a memo saying to not give any political take on this.

Beyond the hypocrisy of it all, there's a bunch of other interesting developments. I think American NBA fans are starting to figure out they don't matter anymore. There's all this talk about not angering the Chinese fans and all the money they represent, but nobody says "wait aren't you pissing off all the American fans and losing their money?" Well, the NBA has been doing that for years. The league is openly hostile to Trump and his voters, which alienates a large part of the country. They sold out the classic American fan for corporate box deals. This is an issue through all pro sports, but especially true in the NBA. A stark majority of NBA fans are mad about this and they're realizing the NBA prefers to Chinese fans to them. Why? They're less trouble. The only trouble is appeasing the Chinese government which dictates what the fans watch and view.

And there's a future development here as well. The NBA has to drop the woke approach now. Unless they drastically alter their approach and truly let the media and players speak up on China, then all their future grandstanding will only bring up the China story again. The NBA will have to be a shutup & dribble league now.