• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

China trying to exert pressure on NBA over support for Hong Kong

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Seeing a lot of progressive, woke NBA folk clam up on this. "I need more information" is apparently the company line to sidestep the issue. Steve Kerr, Pop, James, ALL OF ESPN, Bill Simmons, etc. Suddenly they all wish they could shut up and dribble.

The super left sports media is actually taking the NBA to task on this. Deadspin and Jemele Hill are openly criticizing the NBA over this. So I give them props for consistency. Deadspin came out with the story that ESPN sent out a memo saying to not give any political take on this.
Their major brand partnership involves sneakers made in sweatshops. It could be said they've always had inconsistent morality issues among their wokeness.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
They are one of the most powerful and influential countries on earth and yet the GM for a professional sports team in Texas putting out a single tweet is enough to get them to absolutely shit themselves in rage on an international level.

That is just a whole other level of insecurity and fragility.
It's not insecurity, it's calculated. They want to censor the west too.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
China wants to censor everyone. They think they can control everyone because they are a world power.

But Trump failed here:

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
China wants to censor everyone. They think they can control everyone because they are a world power.

But Trump failed here:

Kind of agree. He didn't get the main idea that Kerr and Popovich speak 'truth to power' when it doesn't cost anything and that they aren't nearly as virtuous as they would like others to believe.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
They are one of the most powerful and influential countries on earth and yet the GM for a professional sports team in Texas putting out a single tweet is enough to get them to absolutely shit themselves in rage on an international level.

That is just a whole other level of insecurity and fragility.
The Houston Rockets have always been huge in China for a while because of Yao Ming. Yao was the first big superstar born and raised in China to play in the NBA.

Even though Yao hasn't played in the NBA for years the Rockets are probably one of the most recognizable, if not the most recognizable American NBA team in China.

If anything the Rockets have had bigger ties to China than any other team in the NBA.

Reactions: K1Expwy

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
^Ya China doesn't recognize Taiwan as a country., historically it's because after the Civil War a bunch of Republic of China higher ups fled to Taiwan.

The situation in Hong Kong should be carefully watched because Taiwan is next except it's going to get a lot more ugly. There was an NPR/PBS story about how U.S generals were worried because if China ever took military action to seize Taiwan that it would happen very quickly because they expect their military to surrender.

Jinping has been very vocal about getting Taiwan and they will never let that go.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Kind of agree. He didn't get the main idea that Kerr and Popovich speak 'truth to power' when it doesn't cost anything and that they aren't nearly as virtuous as they would like others to believe.
This is the US, we're allowed to criticize Trump. Criticizing Trump isn't equal to criticizing America just because he's the president, he's not God. I criticized Obama a lot, but I still love my country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojita

finowns

May 10, 2009
This is the US, we're allowed to criticize Trump. Criticizing Trump isn't equal to criticizing America just because he's the president, he's not God. I criticized Obama a lot, but I still love my country.
You're allowed to criticize Trump I didn't say otherwise.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Back when Joe Rogan had the Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and their head attorney Vijaya Gadde with Tim Pool. Dorsey and Vijaya said they promote the speech from a global sense and moderate the U.S. market and its users contrary to what the 1rst Amendment guarantees:
Snippet of that interaction:

A U.S. company should be exporting U.S. ideals, since they started here in this market and it was this country and the freedoms affirmed by the Bill of Rights afforded to allow them to have a global presence. What we are seeing with the NBA, Blizzard and any number of businesses looking to get some Chinese markets, is they are all too happy to import the authoritarianism of that country at the expense of the rights of a U.S. citizen, In the U.S.A.

That's pretty fucking backwards and I hope the youth are waking up to this, and messing with their digital toys just might be that way to do so.
I have pointed out in the past that this will have unintended consequences, and I hope every U.S. citizen doesn't cede ground on this or any Constitutional right because a company decides China's money is more important than you.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I wish there were still hacktivist groups who could actually do damage. These companies deserve to be fucked with.

All it would take is taking over the NBA website and posting pictures of Winnie the Pooh and Tiannemen Square to wreck their partnerships.

Last edited:

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
It's not solely about China's money desertdroog desertdroog , it's about being beholden to your shareholders. Publicly traded companies are all about market growth, correct?

Most companies aren't like Valve that are privately owned with a sole owner like Gabe Newell. Publicly traded companies have to show market growth and alienating a large sustainable market like China is a very tough thing to do.

While I kinda get what your saying, it's the system that plays a huge role in this.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Woke must be triggered that Trumps China stance had merit all along. Shame the obvious gets ignored by ideologues.
Sorry man but you are conveniently manipulating the situation to suit your agenda.

The tariffs were about IP, trade deficit, and onshoring. Now you are evolving the initial reason to be about freedom of speech and morals.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Sorry man but you are conveniently manipulating the situation to suit your agenda.

The tariffs were about IP, trade deficit, and onshoring. Now you are evolving the initial reason to be about freedom of speech and morals.
Not referring to freedom of speech or anything in that conversation. I’m referring to anything that Trump puts forth is automatically despised, irrespective of its merit. Now it’s difficult to dismiss the China influence that Trump acted on.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008

That is the justification, but make no mistake about it, the trade war is about the world biggest superpower flexing its muscle at the world second (and rapidly growing) biggest power while they still had the upper hand. This is about establishing the pecking order and making sure China stayed in line. It’s an economic Cold War and Hong Kong is in the crosshairs.

Its not talked about enough in this way, but this is very much a war of economies and will, much like vs the USSR. Every American and American company needs to appreciate it for what it is and take necessary austerity measures like we have in past wars.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
That is the justification, but make no mistake about it, the trade war is about the world biggest superpower flexing its muscle at the world second (and rapidly growing) biggest power while they still had the upper hand. This is about establishing the pecking order and making sure China stayed in line. It’s an economic Cold War and Hong Kong is in the crosshairs.

Its not talked about enough in this way, but this is very much a war of economies and will, much like vs the USSR. Every American and American company needs to appreciate it for what it is and take necessary austerity measures like we have in past wars.
We aren't making the right move to combat China. TPP needs to come back. And we need to stop calling African countries shit hole countries while they invest and gain economic power and influence. They are easily outmaneuvering US, while all we are doing is pulling back from them.

But we can really hurt them, but not without hurting ourselves a lot. We should kick them out of the WTO, divest and sanction. But of course that's not realistic. TPP should at least come back.

Last edited: