• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChinaJoy 2017: Monkey King Hero Is Back Announced for PlayStation 4 (AAA, China)

MattAces

PlayStation China announced Monkey King Hero Is Back as a PS4 AAA title.
Here's the trailer: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjkyMTM0MDYyNA==.html
gamersky_01small_02_2017726145186D.jpg

Pictures:

gamersky_01small_02_2017726152046E.jpg

gamersky_02small_04_2017726152092D.jpg

gamersky_04small_08_2017726152042D.jpg

gamersky_07small_14_20177261520FC5.jpg

gamersky_08small_16_2017726152074D.jpg

gamersky_05small_10_201772615202B5.jpg

New PS4 bundle for the game:
gamersky_01small_02_2017726151028F.jpg

gamersky_01small_02_201772615244F1.jpg

In addition to the main game, there will be a VR experience.
1a15f8761ed55629ae0730cab0ff85ac.jpg

http://www.gamersky.com/news/201707/933993.shtml

gtj1092

Got GOW vibes with some SOTC thrown in. Mostly jelly of the console though. Does Sony think Americans don't like designs on their consoles? We get the most boring SE by far.

wapplew

I was a little skeptical with Oasis as dev team and then I learn Hexadrive is the other team.
Now I'm hopeful. First Chinese AAA console game, please be good!

Guymelef

Co-developed by October Media and Sony Interactive Entertainment.

But I'm curious about the Hexa Drive logo at the start of the trailer.

Shifty

Quickest thread derail in GAF history.

Really cool to see Chinese devs getting in on the AAA space, I hope the gameplay is on-point because it looks real nice.

Lijik

Its wild theyre adapting this into a game, when I saw the movie its based on a couple of years back I thought the Monkey King design looked like a lost ps2-era video game protagonist
a3ba39f9-2973-4d90-a90b-0dc2f355ba28.jpeg

Dadasch

Does somebody here have any insight to development costs in China?
Are they as low as one can assume (Foxconn etc., in relation of course)?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I was a little skeptical with Oasis as dev team and then I learn Hexadrive is the other team.
Now I'm hopeful. First Chinese AAA console game, please be good!

Can you offer anybackground on these companies?

wapplew

Can you offer anybackground on these companies?

Oasis make some PSVR game like Pixel gear, Ace banana. Hexadrive make Okami HD and do a lot out sourced job like FF15.
Seems like Oasis only publish the game? Development mostly on Hexa Drive and October Media.

So speaking a bout classic ming-qing literature.. why the hell is the videogames market focused so much on romance of the three kingdoms and journey to the west?

For journey to the west we have all the dragonball games, enslaved and now this and im pretty sure songoku is in many other games as a cameo. Romance of the three kingdoms is in Dynasty warriors, Romance of the three kingdoms and countless other games.

Okay we do have suikoden but thats pretty much it for water margin story...

we do not have any video game adaptation of golden lotus or dream of the red chamber..

in particular the later is heralded as the best classic chinese novel so why isnt it being adapted? It could be a shenmue like game with a romance system built in.

BossRush

So speaking a bout classic ming-qing literature.. why the hell is the videogames market focused so much on romance of the three kingdoms and journey to the west?

For journey to the west we have all the dragonball games, enslaved and now this and im pretty sure songoku is in many other games as a cameo. Romance of the three kingdoms is in Dynasty warriors, Romance of the three kingdoms and countless other games.

we do not have any video game adaptation of golden lotus or dream of the red chamber..

in particular the later is heralded as the best classic chinese novel so why isnt it being adapted? It could be a shenmue like game with a romance system built in.

It's easier to make action games? Idk.

massoluk

Banned

Blah, someone with load of money should have adapted Jin Yong novels, Huang Yi novels, or Fengshen Yan Yi

Mephala

I'm somewhat interested in this and games from China in general.

Success in the west feels less important than success in China itself, a good hit could be the start of something huge and wonderful.

It's true. Akira Toriyama found ancient Dragon Ball scrolls dating back to 600 CE, which he then adapted into for the modern world.

Was this before or after they shot down transformed Goku when he kidnapped Chichi as a giant gorilla?

kkiablo

Neo Member
I'm somewhat interested in this and games from China in general.

Success in the west feels less important than success in China itself, a good hit could be the start of something huge and wonderful.

I'm actually at ChinaJoy right now, I'll probably do a write up about the convention after it's done. It's getting bigger and bigger each year, but this year especially, there seems to be a lot more indie guys showing up. The bigger companies are also starting to venture into "single" player games, since many game developers here believe WeGame from Tencent will be a hit.

So I think you'll probably be seeing a lot more Chinese titles in the future. And a lot of them are pretty diverse, not the Three Kingdoms or Journey to the West derivatives. Take the title I'm working on, My Time at Portia, if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't guess it's a Chinese title. A lot of the other Chinese games I've heard of or seen are like that. Anyway, I'll have more when I do the write up, a lot of interesting stuff here.

Keasar

Graphically it looks nice at least and the tiny bit of test footage that was shown seemed fun. Would love to see some quality games come out of China and see what they make, most I know of from them is just cheap knock-offs like that really crap looking Overwatch clone for mobile.

Hah, I had heard about this but never seen the scene itself but man that is a pretty blatant copy. I could even imagine the button prompts appearing at the right moments.

Though I guess I need to have seen the film cause then the sudden shift to "serene tree scene" and everyone forgetting the giant space Buddha about to crush the monkey is a bit weird. It just stops?

Top Bottom