• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's answer to Google Maps is Pixel Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

So apparently, the Chinese search giant Baidu has managed to recreate some of China's largest cities in stunning pixel art, as part of it's map tool.

I'll show you how to get there for yourself first of all:

Point your browser to:
http://map.baidu.com

On the right hand side-bar you will see this at the top:
2u9pe7o.png

Translated it says "Hot Cities" as the heading, followed by the links for:
Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Chengdu

Click on any of those cities. Once on the map, you will have some view options in the upper right hand corner. I have highlighted the one you'll want (2nd from left)
1oaioh.jpg

And you can now scroll around a pixelated version of the city. Zoom also works. The level of detail is mind blowing. Here are some shots that I'll share.

Construction:
efs3dy.png

Shanghai zoomed out (and showing pixel-city limits on the right:
vd1geb.png

Have fun!

WedgeX

Banned
I guess that solves the problem of taking and using pictures that include people.

Unless...pixel people!

K701

Banned
...That's pretty fucking impressive.

Now someone compare it coordinate for coordinate with google maps/earth to see how accurate it is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Celsior said:
Looks like Sim City, cool but pretty pointless.

If the buildings are accurately represented (color, size, signage) and fully 3D, then it can be very useful for a navigation type application. You could see on the screen what you should see outside your car but no need to take pictures google style.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I found the Forbidden City and the Shanghai World Financial Center. Unfortunately, it's hard to navigate since it's all in Chinese.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That does look really awesome. I don't know why Google didn't think of it before, although they do have the 3D modeling thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom