• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Chicken Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2006
8,760
0
0
32
new hampshire
So I was hoping to get some input from you guys about these little beauties



My friend is claiming that he can only find these wonderful things at Chinese restaurants in the New England area, and I was wondering if anyone elsewhere was familiar with them? They're my absolute favorite at your average Chinese place and I would greatly miss them when I move away.

Also no need to chime in about how its not authentic Chinese food, I hear enough of that from my half Chinese girlfriend.
 

Medalion

Banned
Dec 12, 2008
29,603
0
0
up my ass
Looks like Fish n Chips style, but with chicken instead

I've never seen these before, but I got authentic chinese restaurants :lol
 

Pterion

Member
Jul 18, 2007
4,621
11
880
funkmastergeneral said:
So I was hoping to get some input from you guys about these little beauties



My friend is claiming that he can only find these wonderful things at Chinese restaurants in the New England area, and I was wondering if anyone elsewhere was familiar with them? They're my absolute favorite at your average Chinese place and I would greatly miss them when I move away.

Also no need to chime in about how its not authentic Chinese food, I hear enough of that from my half Chinese girlfriend.
Just seemed funny...
 

Sanjuro

Member
Nov 19, 2004
98,964
0
1,585
Yes, that is the traditional style in the Massachusetts area.

The Fall River style chow mein is also different and in the south coast area only really.
 

YagizY

Member
Feb 20, 2007
2,154
0
0
Yeah this is just sweet and sour chicken without the sauce. They have this at every chinese buffet in America ever.
 
Dec 2, 2006
8,760
0
0
32
new hampshire
YagizY said:
Yeah this is just sweet and sour chicken without the sauce. They have this at every chinese buffet in America ever.
Fantastic news! So I can move away to an area with a superior climate and still enjoy my favorite heart destroying fatty foods.
 

ianp622

Member
Mar 1, 2008
3,099
0
0
funkmastergeneral said:
Fantastic news! So I can move away to an area with a superior climate and still enjoy my favorite heart destroying fatty foods.
Yeah, but they tend to be dry here (I don't know about the ones you got). That's why you eat them with the sauce, makes them much better.
 

Ferrio

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
56,399
1
0
Like others have said that's just sweet and sour chicken without sauce.. extremely common.
 

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dec 15, 2008
39,516
0
730
33
nowhere
www.neogaf.com
Looks good, but it would be even better if it was covered in sesame chicken sauce. That shit is dank.
I had some American chicken figures for work lunch and they were shit.
 

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Apr 6, 2008
5,998
1
1,130
Wow, after all these years I never thought to try the Chinese doughnuts my dog has been leaving in our yard.
 

TestOfTide

Banned
Nov 13, 2009
5,638
0
0
Massachusetts
wait. this shit isn't in american chinese restaurants everywhere?

Next up, people are going to tell me you can't get a fisherman's platter in every seafood place.
 

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jan 5, 2008
23,624
2
0
Pretty much every asian food place over here has those, it's delicious.
 

Suzaku

Member
Jan 27, 2008
531
0
0
www.last.fm
YagizY said:
They have this at every chinese buffet in America ever.
Ferrio said:
extremely common.
InfiniteNine said:
I see these at pretty much every Chinese place I go. I imagine you can find them at most places.
TestOfTide said:
wait. this shit isn't in american chinese restaurants everywhere?
InfiniteNine said:
I see these at pretty much every Chinese place I go.

What the hell? I am Chinese and I have never seen anything like this bastardized dish in my entire life. Then again, I live in the SF bay area and we have a large Chinese population and there are plenty of options for authentic Chinese food. So if you must have these make sure you move to a place where there aren't a lot of Chinese people.
 

Bboy AJ

My parents were murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dec 17, 2004
14,695
88
1,700
Suzaku said:
What the hell? I am Chinese and I have never seen anything like this bastardized dish in my entire life. Then again, I live in the SF bay area and we have a large Chinese population and there are plenty of options for authentic Chinese food. So if you must have these make sure you move to a place where there aren't a lot of Chinese people.
Rubbish. I encountered this sweet and sour chicken in the Sunset area all the time.
 

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jul 22, 2009
24,135
1
0
28
Suzaku said:
What the hell? I am Chinese and I have never seen anything like this bastardized dish in my entire life. Then again, I live in the SF bay area and we have a large Chinese population and there are plenty of options for authentic Chinese food. So if you must have these make sure you move to a place where there aren't a lot of Chinese people.
In the area I'm in there are TONS of Chinese people here. We even have a Chinese sign advertising our apartment complex outside, and the competing one nearby also has a sign in Chinese. There are a few restaurants nearby as well which serve this.
 

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jun 6, 2004
23,073
0
1,725
37
Nara, Japan
www.bookofrevenant.com
Authentic or no, those things tend to be pretty freaking good.

I just realized I never tried them with honey mustard. :O I wish I could remedy that.
 

ViperVisor

Member
Jun 20, 2007
8,020
0
905
YagizY said:
Yeah this is just sweet and sour chicken without the sauce. They have this at every chinese buffet in America ever.
This. The local place here makes them with chucks half that size. I don't put the sauce on mine.
 

thefit

Member
Jun 9, 2004
7,271
0
0
KALIFORRRNIA
Suzaku said:
What the hell? I am Chinese and I have never seen anything like this bastardized dish in my entire life. Then again, I live in the SF bay area and we have a large Chinese population and there are plenty of options for authentic Chinese food. So if you must have these make sure you move to a place where there aren't a lot of Chinese people.
I've seen them in China town in LA.
 

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dec 15, 2008
39,516
0
730
33
nowhere
www.neogaf.com
I used to work at a place called Golden Chopsticks and we had racks and racks of that in our freezer. That's like the base of half the shit they made there.
 

Bboy AJ

My parents were murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dec 17, 2004
14,695
88
1,700
Suzaku said:
Where??? At panda express?
Nope. Plenty of mom and pop chinese places serve more authentic chinese cuisine and also do the Americanized stuff, too. Fantastic stuff.
 

Technosteve

Junior Member
Oct 7, 2007
20,934
0
0
they got that at every chinese buffet, i like going to the high class chinese buffets that got sea food. It's like a deathmatch at the snow crab legs and stir fried lobster bins
 

Dice

Member
Jun 6, 2004
35,536
1,259
2,015
Chinese donuts are NOT churros! WTF man...

Also, sweet & sour chicken without the sauce is incredibly bland and greasy. How could you eat it plain?
 

Suzaku

Member
Jan 27, 2008
531
0
0
www.last.fm
Bboy AJ said:
Nope. Plenty of mom and pop chinese places serve more authentic chinese cuisine and also do the Americanized stuff, too. Fantastic stuff.
I swear in all my years I've never seen them even once. My cousin's Chinese restaurant did not serve these. None of my family or friends have ever ordered it. Please tell me the name of one place in the Sunset that has these and I will make it a point to go out and try one these puffy curiosities, authentic or not. And after that I'll probably go get some San Tung wings.
 

whatsinaname

Member
Feb 13, 2009
11,855
0
880
Dice said:
Chinese donuts are NOT churros! WTF man...

Also, sweet & sour chicken without the sauce is incredibly bland and greasy. How could you eat it plain?
I said the image reminded me of Churros. :lol

I did go look it up and Wikipedia says Churros were derived from these?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.