• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Foxconn sketch artists returns with the NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
I can translate the original post here (brackets are my comments.)

"NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)
There are two candidate SoC for it: Pascal SoC from nVidia or AMD R9 SoC.

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable (since it has its own battery).

Additional info: whatever the solution will be, the computing power it has falls far behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."

added yours instead

So google translate is a bit confusing but basically it is what you'd expect.

A primary box/console with all the power, cart input (games) and outputs needed for a console. Power-wise is less than PS4 (likely also less than xboxOne but that is not mentioned).

Then there is the portable device which is less powerful but can function similar to shield with PCs and use the base console's power to run the game. Picture seems to prove the basic rumors overall with a distinct of a true d-pad and normal Nintendo WiiU style controller layout.

The third thing, if I'm reading it right, is basically a dock for power.

Lastly, the page suggests reveal is either October or early next year at this point.

quick translation (native speaker btw):

OK9qeo5.jpg

Cerium

The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable (since it has its own battery).

Q88rJ.gif

Monumma

"NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).

Additional info: whatever the solution will be, the computing power it has falls far behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."

Thank you!

You can bring the performance module with you portable (since it has its own battery).

Oh god, please no. anything but this.
I'm really doubtful.

hoserx

don't let this excite you........ don't let this excite you...... don't let this excite you......... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #TEAMREAL #NX #NX #NX #NX

ekim

Wait... a handheld with a basic SoC, A dock without any computing power and a portable console that can either be connected to the dock or the handheld? This sounds clumsy as hell.

Whoa, this brings up something I never thought of.

NX on the go, lower graphics.
NX at home, console experience on TV _or_ enhanced graphics performance on the handheld.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thanks for the translation.

So it's just a Wii U? Doesn't seem like the handheld can do much on its own - 'basic operations' and all.

Edit:

Wait, this is a console in three parts? A TV streaming device, a portable performance enhancer and a low performance handheld?

I believe the Handheld operates normally on it's own, or if that's not the case it mentions the the main block is portable, as in comes with it's own battery so you take that whereever you want to go

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Even more confusing than the Wii U.

The "portable" connects to an additional box for more power?

Harlock

Looks like a PS4 Pro/PS4 Slim, with the extra box doing the high res. I hope Nintendo don't sell this things separated, or going to be a mess.

So if the handheld doesn't have a cart slot...how is it a portable? It sounds like a Wii U.

You can bring the performance module with you, as it has its own battery.

Sounds incredibly weird.

Edit - Oh wait, the dock contains the cartridge slot. Uhhhh what. One would assume the portable system itself also has a slot.

mieumieu

So it's just a Wii U? Doesn't seem like the handheld can do much on its own - 'basic operations' and all.

Edit:

Wait, this is a console in three parts? A TV streaming device, a portable performance enhancer and a low performance handheld?

From my understanding of the post, by "basic operations" it means the graphics would be not as advanced as a console. So you can just bring the handheld outside but you will only get basic graphics, but if you bring the performance module with you, you can get more advanced graphics.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not sure I believe they'd have this already.

That said, getting near confirmation of the SCD/power dock raised my interest like 1000%.

Morts

Interesting. So it's three parts instead of just handheld and a dock? You can take a light handheld with you or attach a module for when you're willing to carry a more powerful, heavier handheld?

If this isn't bullshit.

Edit:

No you got it backwards I think.. It says that the main CPU/GPU is contained in the portable screen device thing.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. This thread has way better translations.

Underwhelming design, but the performance module is very interesting.

maxcriden

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable since it has its own battery.

Additional info: whatever the solution will be the computing power it has falls behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

Thank you so much!

So, not two pictures of one device at the top and bottom of the image, then, but just two different devices. So three pieces. HH, booster and console.

Anyone get a sense about answers to these questions
:

You can take the booster with you. What's the HH like without the booster? What's the console like without the booster? I guess it has no GPU or CPU it requires the boooster to run?

Do you plug the HH in to the dock or only the booster? If only the booster, does that mean the HH is also a Wii U like screen controller when needed?

wrowa

It doesn't really make sense that he has a detailed description of everything but then goes on saying it's either using Tegra or something from AMD.

Why would a Foxcon worker have seen the NX already if Nintendo don't even know what SoC it'll use? How can they start production for something that supposedly launches in March if they don't yet know what chips they use? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Sounds great to me

So google translate is a bit confusing but basically it is what you'd expect.

A primary box/console with all the power, cart input (games) and outputs needed for a console. Power-wise is less than PS4 (likely also less than xboxOne but that is not mentioned).

Then there is the portable device which is less powerful but can function similar to shield with PCs and use the base console's power to run the game. Picture seems to prove the basic rumors overall with a distinct of a true d-pad and normal Nintendo WiiU style controller layout.

The third thing, if I'm reading it right, is basically a dock for power.

Lastly, the page suggests reveal is either October or early next year at this point.
Not to keep our hopes up, but he said less than ps4 pro. Not the OG ps4.

In any case, since the dock has no cpu/gpu, looks like the handheld is under locked in handheld mode, but its increased to normal clock speeds with the dock and power supply. That's what the descriptions sounds like to me.

Edit: Nvm, says there is a performance module/scd with a cpu/gpu...

Oh god though, they don't know if its nvidia Pascal or and? Wtf.. Maybe portable is nvidia and scd is amd?

Alienous

So...

A dock, performance hardware and low-performance tablet-like screen. You can carry the performance hardware with the handheld, but it's powered by a seperate battery. And you can ... combine the two, then stream to the dock, to have console-level ...

What the fuck?

For what I can work out from that text, the tablet part is a low power device and the dock/cube part is the real meat and veg? I can understand why they did that.

If the tablet itself is weak and suffers for detailed 3D gaming that would be upsetting.
That really doesn't sound like Nintendo at all.

No way they would gimp there handheld if its all supposed to play the same games when handhelds are their biggest sellers. I call fake.

KingBroly

Banned
So if the handheld doesn't have a game cart, you have to bring the SCD with you to make it work? That sounds incredibly dumb

maxcriden

Wait... a handheld with a basic SoC, A dock without any computing power and a portable console that can either be connected to the dock or the handheld? This sounds clumsy as hell.

I guess it'll super portable if you are ok with lower quality graphics?

So if the handheld doesn't have a game cart, you have to bring the SCD with you to make it work? That sounds incredibly dumb

I thought it has one, just a lesser one?

Kuro

if the whole performance module thing is real why bother even making this thing a handheld if you have to carry an extra box with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom