• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Foxconn sketch artists returns with the NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trago

Hold up, so the module is battery powered, but can also be plugged in? You can take it with you also to get better performance? Hence the battery?

How big is this thing?

This is weird.

It sounds to me like no, that's not right. As I understand it, the part with the screen is just a controller with screen, it cannot play games by itself at all. The little box, the "Performance module", that is the real brains - it has the hard drive, battery, cartridge port. You can either hook that up to a TV, or to the controller/screen. So if you want to play games on the go, you keep that Performance Module in your pocket.

The dock is so that you can charge things, and so you can hook up the Performance Module to the TV without having to deal with wires.

Why would Nintendo create something to where you need two things to take on the go to play games?

Why would a Foxcon worker have seen the NX already if Nintendo don't even know what SoC it'll use? How can they start production for something that supposedly launches in March if they don't yet know what chips they use? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Nowhere does it say that *Nintendo* doesn't know what chips it will use. It's probably the guy who drew that up that doesn't know what chips it will use.

Why would Nintendo create something to where you need two things to take on the go to play games?

Because that way you get full console games on the go. I mean, the screen/controller is already too big for your pocket, so they've already abandoned pocket gaming to cell phones.

topplehat

Hmmm I like the idea of a hybrid, but this feels like too many pieces. Not a big fan of (maybe) having to carry a "performance module" around.

KrawlMan

It seems like just the thing Nintendo would come up with after the Wii U. A modular device.

A handheld chassis, a console chassis, and unified cpu/gpu hardware that you can attach to either.

You really think they would see Wii U's massive failure and essentially try to make it similar, yet with a dash of extremely-fucking-convoluted ?

So let's review.

The main handheld 6-inch 720p handheld, with low graphics fidelity.
III
III
III
(which can connect to)
III
III
III
V
A portable battery powered performance enhancer side tumor, with it's own GPU/CPU but far less powerful than a PS4, which was already underpowered for a console three years ago.
III
III
III
(which can connect to)
III
III
III
V
The dock, which has inputs, TV out, and an HDD

Christ almighty, they did it. They created a console more asinine than the WiiU.

please be fake.

Leave it to Nintendo to figure out the only way to screw up a good idea.

jackal27

Banned
Omg so much freak out in this thread. Chill your tits. We don't know if this is real or how large any of these elements are/if they are a final design.

I'm not sure I believe it but it's an interesting idea.

If real, I don't think performance will be enough to make me carry the power brick so I'll probably just play the games in 480p or whatever. Cool with me!

However... I could always just stick the brick in my briefcase and BOOM good to go. I'd be cool with that.

I don't get why people are freaking out--this is almost exactly what has been theorized for nearly a year.

This thing is going to be sub-$250 with good software. That's their selling point here.

People have been theorizing for a year about having to carry around a power brick? Did I miss all these threads?

L Thammy

Well... can Nintendo explain this 3 piece suit easier than it could explain the Wii U?

"Plug it in for more power" seems like the easiest thing in the world to explain.

The detachable controllers though. And I'm still only half sure of what the dock is for.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People have been theorizing for a year about having to carry around a power brick? Did I miss all these threads?

We don't know if you have to "carry it around." It sounds like it plugs right into the handheld and it just makes the handheld bigger.

You guys are acting like everyone is going to be pulling one of those hospital carts with the IV drip on it.

But this means I can buy a different performance module in the future.
Huh...

This is easily the biggest news of all of this if it is true.

Okay so...

Piece 1: Homedock that connects to the TV. Useless on its own.
Piece 2: Handheld screen with controls. Has minimal graphics on its own.
Piece 3: Actual console that contains HDD, power, CPU, GPU. Useless on its own. Can be connected (wirelessly I assume) to either the Homedock or Handheld. When connected to the Homedock, it acts as a home console. When connected to the Handheld, it powers the Handheld for full graphics.

So is that it? Nintendo expects you to carry the "console" brick cube thing in your backpack so you can play with just the handheld in your hands?

This summarizes better than I could. One thing I'd maybe point out is that handheld is probably just powerful enough to play their basic cell phone games like Super Mario Run.

RocknRola

quick translation (native speaker btw):

OK9qeo5.jpg

I can translate the original post here (brackets are my comments.)

"NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)
There are two candidate SoC for it: Pascal SoC from nVidia or AMD R9 SoC.

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable (since it has its own battery).

Additional info: whatever the solution will be, the computing power it has falls far behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."

First of all, thank you my friends!! Thanks for taking the time to help us all out here :)

As for the info... well, it's more or less what I expected (but not what I really hoped for). A hybrid, with some crazy (in a good way) functionality and general setup bun in traditional Nintendo fashion (well, traditional since the Wii gen I suppose) they throw the power on the backburner. Though unlike the previous 2 consoles, this one might have actually forced them to due to how they're designing it.

That is, they seem to want to make the performance module also portable, which I feel is key to what the end product will be. That in itself always has limitations on the overal design of any device. Things like size, weight, power draw, heating, cooling, enough space for all the components in a way that accomodates all of the above... in a sense, it's even more limiting than a regular console, since after all that (which eats into R&D and actual manufacturing costs) they need to consider the final price as well.

So while the functionality part of this rumour has me pretty damn excited, the reality of the specs (in particular it's power) don't bother me too much as they seem to be, from what I can gather from this info, a direct consequence of that crazy/exciting design.

As side-note, can you guys imagine hundreds of "PS3 to PS4" types of games on the go? Stuff with proper full on 3D worlds; with chunky levels; actual open worlds; all that crazy good stuff we adore from consoles and PCs on the go? Like imagine something like the Breath of Wild on the go, with it's current graphical settings!! Basically a Nintendo Vita, of sorts, but with actual proper dev support!? Amazing! Can't wait dudes!:D

Of course, Ninty could still easily prove me wrong in regards to all of this and that's more than fine too! :D

Sorry, but how is that not better than the WiiU?

If the gimmick of this thing is a console that can come with you on the go, how "on the go" is it if you need to carry a separate battery powered set of brains for it to work? Or is it not needed?

This is going to be a nightmare to explain to the public.

Hydrargyrus

Wait, so there are 3 devices for a console that should be less powerful than the OG PS4 (and probably the XO)?.

If this is true, what were they thinking?

And what should be the price for the entire pack?, beacuse or this is very weak in procesing power / they use cheap materials or this thing will be beyond 300€...

Devil

This is far too complicated to be appealing to the masses. Also, carrying around a "performance boost module", no matter the size, is exclusively a thing for enthusiasts for sure.

Maybe they'll be selling each device separately so that the handheld can be be bought by anyone and only the enthusiasts will upgrade to get increased performance and TV connectivity. It would probably still confuse a lot of people though.

Alienous

Nintendo themselves said the Wii U was confusing and they couldn't give clear explanation to the mass audience.
The NX shown here go against their "we learned from the Wii U"

Would it?

The NX would be a singular platform. Then you just say it can used in one of two form factors - console or handheld. Take the console, plug it into the portable screen and it's a portable. Take the console, plug it into the dock and it's a console.

The Wii U's issue was people wondering if it's a controller for the Wii. The NX being a console that can be used with two devices doesn't seem like it would be too hard to convey.

I don't know where you've been, but this has been the exact same rumor for years now.
Not at all. The performance pessimistic take on the rumour was that there is no performance module and handheld connects directly to dock and maaaaybe overclocks, the performance optimistic - that dock and performance module are one thing. Now, someone threw the detachable controllers concept at the rumour, but that is separate (-able, heh) from what we have here.

jeffers

if you can detach the controllers on the go, with the screen and the performance module thats 4 things to look after? >.>

Aters

Edit: Let's forget about the a9vg accounts. The guy posted the new leak said he copied the picture and description from NX Tieba. So while the accounts are different, it can still come from the same person. I'm looking for the original source.

Theswweet

It's about time we got a proper reveal for this thing. Rumors, leaks, fakes - can we please get some concrete information up in here?

KingBroly

Banned
So...the one device can be switched out over time without the need for buying more expensive stuff down the line? And it'll work with the portable device just fine?

Omg so much freak out in this thread. Chill your tits. We don't know if this is real or how large any of these elements are/if they are a final design.

I'm not sure I believe it but it's an interesting idea.

If real, I don't think performance will be enough to make me carry the power brick so I'll probably just play the games in 480p or whatever. Cool with me!

However... I could always just stick the brick in my briefcase and BOOM good to go. I'd be cool with that.

Exactly, makes it perfect for flights/longer commutes/multiplayer on the go. I love it, I just hope they can explain it.

I don't wanna wait. This thing is already gonna be incredibly underpowered. Holding off is just making it worse. Not only is the PS4 and Xbox One surely more powerful already, but the PS4 Pro is out soon and Scorpio will be out in the same year as the NX.

I dislike everything I've read about the NX. I actually regret not being a Sega kid back in the day, because these days I wouldn't be blinded by the nostalgia of Mario and Zelda. I could have been enjoying Sega games on PC where games wouldn't be handicapped by having to cater for an even weaker handheld version of the same platform.

Well, it seems like in this case the HH would play everything just okay, but worse graphics and then play everything excellently with the on the go cube attached.
If it connects to the handheld's back or something then that'd probably be fine but it sounds like its wireless and has its own battery, so I have to keep track of two battery lives just to play the handheld? Sounds overly complicated. Even by Nintendo's standards. Not believing in such a thing until I see it for myself.

yoonshik

Wait, so there are 3 devices for a console that should be less powerful than the OG PS4 (and probably the XO)?.

If this is true, what were they thinking?

And what should be the price for the entire pack?, beacuse or this is very weak in procesing power / they use cheap materials or this thing will be beyond 300€...
2 SKUs. One with the SCD and one without it. $199 and $249.

R-User!

Hmmm I like the idea of a hybrid, but this feels like too many pieces. Not a big fan of (maybe) having to carry a "performance module" around.

I can see wires everywhere ala PSVR.

Not a very sleek nor simple solution, but I'll wait to hear how Nintendo markets it to see if it will be as cumbersome as it sounds.

Problem is, I'll still probably get it because of Zelda.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not at all. The performance pessimistic take on the rumour was that there is no performance module and handheld connects directly to dock and maaaaybe overclocks, the performance optimistic - that dock and performance module are one thing. Now, someone threw the detachable controllers concept at the rumour, but that is separate (-able, heh) from what we have here.

I've been in the threads. I've supplied some of the theories myself. We have talked about something very similar. Only difference was that we all thought the power booster was stationary.

Having it portable makes it even better in my eyes.

Okay so...

Piece 1: Homedock that connects to the TV. Useless on its own.
Piece 2: Handheld screen with controls. Has minimal graphics on its own.
Piece 3: Actual console that contains HDD, power, CPU, GPU. Useless on its own. Can be connected (wirelessly I assume) to either the Homedock or Handheld. When connected to the Homedock, it acts as a home console. When connected to the Handheld, it powers the Handheld for full graphics.

So is that it? Nintendo expects you to carry the "console" brick cube thing in your backpack so you can play with just the handheld in your hands?

Why not combine piece 1 and 3?

Never mind. That kinda makes sense I guess if the performance module is needed

UrbanRats

If this is the thing, good luck to Nintendo, trying to explain this whole thing to the common consumer.
I'm confused and i read about this stuff every day.

Lilo_D

Well, as a Chinese, I found some one in that a9vg thread just points out this image is from somebody's yy(imagination) in tieba.baidu.com(another chinese form like reddit)

To clarify the the NX tablet itself doesn't need that other portable box to play on the go?

I'm pretty sure it does - that box has the cartridge slot and hard drive. Fromwhat it seems to me the tablet only has just powerful enough SOC for really basic stuff, like streaming graphics and probably menus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom