• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Saowen: PS4 has ship (now sold) over 70 million Consoles (report)

Update: seems it's easier for some users, and a mod, to blame the op for malicious conduct, instead of checking all the translators. Which when done, shows similar translations with similar odd wording.

but for some reason instead of taking little effort to check this, it seems some prefer to just blame the op and not put in any effort to see there was no malicious activity. Including a mod insulting the ops intelligence with links to translaters proving the ops point they are all similar in their bad translation. It seems some decided to jump at the op instead. Which is very dissappointing. Hopefully the mod one day double checks his hasty conclusion as well as some members.

Official Chinese Outlet Saowen has reported that the Xbox One has sold 70 million consoles. Saowen is a premiere Tech & Programming firm with numerous locations and vicinity.

From the link descriptor in Chinese:

微軟Xbox One尷尬了索遊戲機銷量已超過7000萬

or

Wēiruǎn Xbox One gāngàle suǒ yóuxì jī xiāoliàng yǐ chāoguò 7000 wàn

Which translates to:

Microsoft Xbox One has sold more than 70 million game consoles

But here is the main link to main article:

https://hk.saowen.com/a/d54e48538c7ae362583d034cecdad44b88d46650110f058373598c04ae6babb0

Which has this Chinese text confirming the above:

過7000萬台,也讓微軟的Xbox One略顯尷尬

and

微軟Xbox One遊戲機銷量已超過7000萬

Which both translate to:

Over 70 million units, but also let Microsoft's Xbox One slightly

and

Microsoft Xbox One game console has sold more than 70 million

Now before everyone goes nuts, keep in mind this is only one outlet. We don't have enough information to figure out how much this company knows or how they track so this is just a report for now. But if it is true than it would mean Xbox one is doing much better than expected. before 40-45 million was the estimated number due to lack of updates from Microsoft.

However, even I am skeptical of this number. 50 million or so would seem more realistic at maximum high-end.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
OH, FUCK!!! Lmao! Not sure if true, but I'm getting my popcorn ready! This'll be good!
Sony fans incoming in 5...4...3...2...
giphy.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Shipped is estimated between high 30M and low 40M.

But overnight they jump up 30M? I mean, unless these all shipped to chinese retailers, I don't understand how this specific outlet would have special knowledge of such a thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OH, FUCK!!! Lmao! Not sure if true, but I'm getting my popcorn ready! This'll be good!
giphy.gif

Does not take a Sony fan to call bullshit on these numbers.

Software & revenue splits tell the tale.

Last edited:

theHFIC

I get all my console sales numbers from Official Chinese Outlet Saowen!

It's like how all of the news outlets in the world talking about how horrible a job Trump is doing is fake but Fox News is the only ones telling the truth that everything is fine.

Last edited:
I could see where 70m consoles were manufactured...but sold? Pffffffftttt, no way.

Now the whole 35m estimates seem to be lowball...I've thought ~45m was more accurate. But if that number is manufactured and not sold...where would Microsoft store ~25m consoles? And why?

Gavon West

around 40M at best
It's been around 30 - 40 million units for.......how many years now?

C'mon bruh! You really believe the Xbox hasn't sold more than 40 million by now? That doesnt even almost seem logical.

I'm not saying they've sold 70 million, but they've definitely sold more than 40. I'd go more than 50 at this point.

Calibos

Shipped is estimated between high 30M and low 40M.

But overnight they jump up 30M? I mean, unless these all shipped to chinese retailers, I don't understand how this specific outlet would have special knowledge of such a thing.

Shipped estimated by another unreliable source....

That said, there is no way this is accurate.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Shipped estimated by another unreliable source....

That said, there is no way this is accurate.
Well, that's why I indicated a range because there are multiple sources with their own estimates.

There's nothing even close to 60M, let alone 70M. Maybe Microsoft stocked all the Chinese shelves with them? It's plausible, to be honest, but I'd want a more official confirmation than from a translation of what a retailer said.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is there a giant pit of Xbox consoles buried in the desert next to ET cartridges we don't know about?

Calibos

Well, that's why I indicated a range because there are multiple sources with their own estimates.

There's nothing even close to 60M, let alone 70M. Maybe Microsoft stocked all the Chinese shelves with them? It's plausible, to be honest, but I'd want a more official confirmation than from a translation of what a retailer said.

...And everyone wants official confirmation of 30-40 million...because there isn't any. Again though, this 70 mill estimate is BS.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Even 60 million is plausible in my opinion. PEople have been saying no more than 35 - 40 million for like, five years now. No Way! They're way higher than that. That would suggest they arent selling consoles at all - anywhere. That's just not true. Wouldnt say they are pushing Sony numbers, no. But I dont think they're as far off as forums suggest. Gamers know logistics and the inner workings of major corporations like they know their ass from their elbows. Never listen to gamers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
...And everyone wants official confirmation of 30-40 million...because there isn't any. Again though, this 70 mill estimate is BS.
Sure, we haven't gotten official confirmation from Microsoft, but EA has outed them twice now:

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/xbox-one-sales-2-1202804149/

The last estimate from EA in May this year was ~30M consoles sold.

And this market research firm estimated 39.1M units had sold at the end of March 2018 (higher than EA's estimate). This report came out a month after EA's slip of the tongue.
https://wccftech.com/xbox-one-39-1m-units-estimated/

So it's not as though people are saying "30-40M" without reason.

Even 60 million is plausible in my opinion. PEople have been saying no more than 35 - 40 million for like, five years now. No Way! They're way higher than that. That would suggest they arent selling consoles at all - anywhere. That's just not true. Wouldnt say they are pushing Sony numbers, no. But I dont think they're as far off as forums suggest. Gamers know logistics and the inner workings of major corporations like they know their ass from their elbows. Never listen to gamers.
The system hasn't been out for much more than 5 years. I'm not sure why you would come to this conclusion.

Gavon West

Sure, we haven't gotten official confirmation from Microsoft, but EA has outed them twice now:

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/xbox-one-sales-2-1202804149/

The last estimate from EA in May this year was ~30M consoles sold.

And this market research firm estimated 39.1M units had sold at the end of March 2018 (higher than EA's estimate). This report came out a month after EA's slip of the tongue.
https://wccftech.com/xbox-one-39-1m-units-estimated/

So it's not as though people are saying "30-40M" without reason.

The system hasn't been out for much more than 5 years. I'm not sure why you would come to this conclusion.
MY point is that they've been at 35 - 40 million (according to gamers) since forever. They've been selling consoles ever since. Not as many as Sony but they've sold plenty.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
MY point is that they've been at 35 - 40 million (according to gamers) since forever. They've been selling consoles ever since. Not as many as Sony but they've sold plenty.
You'd have to show me the oldest references to 35-40M, then.

By my recollection, X1 was at 10-15M since "forever" due to stuffing the channels early on in the system's lifespan. I only heard the 30-40M estimates within the past year.

mejin

It's been around 30 - 40 million units for.......how many years now?

C'mon bruh! You really believe the Xbox hasn't sold more than 40 million by now? That doesnt even almost seem logical.

I'm not saying they've sold 70 million, but they've definitely sold more than 40. I'd go more than 50 at this point.

It's simple. outside US and UK brand is still damaged, it doesn't sell well at all. I remember reading some estimatives of 35M at the end of 2017, so more 5 M till end of september is credible. Just little less than half of ps4 numbers.

You'd have to show me the oldest references to 35-40M, then.

By my recollection, X1 was at 10-15M since "forever" due to stuffing the channels early on in the system's lifespan. I only heard the 30-40M estimates within the past year.

Uh no, those unity bundles sold and won Xbox 2014. The last official number was ten million shipped and that was before the holidays.

We know in the us and UK alone it sold 5+ million so that's 15 right there but even at that time we had nothing for other countries. We know XBO was ahead of the 360 in Germany, France, and one other at that point but the last numbers reported were months before even then.

I'll give Microsoft credit, Xbox sales are locked behind walls as strong as fort Knox outside NPD and the UK. Unless they clarify regional numbers with dates we can't really ever guess.

As for 70 million, that seems a bit too much. But I am curious as to where they got the estimate from.

It's simple. outside US and UK brand is still damaged, it doesn't sell well at all. I remember reading some estimatives of 35M at the end of 2017, so more 5 M till end of september is credible. Just little less than half of ps4 numbers.

This isn't trues it's winning in Mexico, it's winning in SA, it was ahead of the 360 in Germany until recently. It still sells hundreds of thousands in Easter Europe. ME is slowly picking up, and it's doing ok but not great in Oceania.

Issue is we have no numbers for any of those regionsso it's easier to say it doesn't sell but even with estimates in 2017 predictions had near 45% of sales outside US/Canada/UK.

Your scenario only really works if the US was over 70% of sales alone excluding UK and Canada. Not likely.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
70 million? no. But I'd say it's possible they've shipped 50 million by now. I think they shipped 10 million the first year....and that was when it wasn't nearly as good a value. It's been 5 years since it's been out so yeah 50 million shipped would be my guess.

Last edited:
While I'm not saying this is accurate, you got to get a good chuckle that when any report that releases low ball numbers for MS is immediately believed at face value and must be correct, that this one just has to be lies because "Chinese". Lol

demigod

they probably added those to the count
maxresdefault.jpg

Is that like the Nintendo DreamStation?

Been a long year for you hasn't it?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While I'm not saying this is accurate, you got to get a good chuckle that when any report that releases low ball numbers for MS is immediately believed at face value and must be correct, that this one just has to be lies because "Chinese". Lol

No, it is not true because the reveneue and software splits tell the tale more accurately between what numbers we do know (from Sony), and the average %'s of the software splits on each platform, as well as their revenues.

Gavon West

if this was true MS would make a statement about it. true numbers are below 45M imo
They wouldnt. Microsoft sees hardware sales as a small part of the big picture these days. Player engagement is their bread and butter. See Gamepass...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Why would they make a statement

Why would you think this? 70 million shipped is still losing why would they announce numbers?

To be fair these numbers aren't likely true but even if they were why would they suddenly change?

They wouldnt. Microsoft sees hardware sales as a small part of the big picture these days. Player engagement is their bread and butter these days. See Gamepass...

Stop thinking like a video game fanboy. 70 million shipped to retailers (which means they sold the consoles to those retailers and made money) after 5 years is a GREAT number. That's not "losing".
You two have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
giphy.gif

Why would calling these obviously fake numbers be equated to being a Sony fanboy? Am I Nintendo fanboy if I recognize the Wii outsold the PS3?

There's opinions and then there are hard numbers. Calling BS on this, has nothing to do with opinions or being a fanboy.

Vawn

Banned

Have they? Or are you getting confused about Xbox fans years ago claiming they were at 40 million with no actual evidence?

Gavon West

Stop thinking like a video game fanboy. 70 million shipped to retailers (which means they sold the consoles to those retailers and made money) after 5 years is a GREAT number. That's not "losing".
they still wouldnt reveal numbers as they've committed to doing so. Has nothing to do with losing. WTH are you on about?

Last edited:

Uh yes it is losing. Also MS has always with very rare exceptions, hit numbers unless they could spin it as a win all the way to the orXbox.

What's more baffling about this post is why would NOW be the time they announce numbers this gen after years of silence? 50 million would be great to, but if these numbers were true MS skipped announcing it.

Of course they aren't true but you really have no logical reason why they would ABRUPTLY start revealing numbers. If it was true.

Vawn

Banned
closing dat gap.

Go check the sales just in America where Xbox sells the best. PS4 is outselling it every month in NA, and by an even larger margin worldwide.

"Dat gap" grows larger every month. But, I think you know that.

Why would calling these obviously fake numbers be equated to being a Sony fanboy? Am I Nintendo fanboy if I recognize the Wii outsold the PS3?

There's opinions and then there are hard numbers. Calling BS on this, has nothing to do with opinions or being a fanboy.

Let him have his popcorn, he'll find out the truth in the morning.

Gavon West

Go check the sales just in America where Xbox sells the best. PS4 is outselling it every month in NA, and by an even larger margin worldwide.

"Dat gap" grows larger every month. But, I think you know that.
Probably true. But does that mean Xbox isn't selling because the PS4 is? I'm confused bruh...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have they? Or are you getting confused about Xbox fans years ago claiming they were at 40 million with no actual evidence?

These were the EA's numbers we had for the end of 2017:

EA suggests that Microsoft sold around 30 million Xbox One consoles by the end of 2017

PS4 expands its sales lead, now 71% of “two-console” market with Xbox One

People then started estimating between 35-40 since EA's estimates. I do not recall a "40 million for years" narrative prior to this.

Last edited:
Just look at these savages go, loooook at em, my God, another MS thread.

Sonys a no show at E3.....it's ok, $500 launch...it's ok..its actually disgusting to see this unfold time after time.

Gavon West

These were the EA's numbers we had for the end of 2017:

EA suggests that Microsoft sold around 30 million Xbox One consoles by the end of 2017

PS4 expands its sales lead, now 71% of “two-console” market with Xbox One

People then started estimating between 35-40 since EA's estimates. I do not recall a "40 million for years" narrative prior to this.
I do recall and on various gaming sites. It seemed like Xbox was hovering in the mid 30's to lower 40's mill mark for ever. Either way; I'm not touting that the 70 million is even almost real, I am suggesting that they may (and probably are) past what most on gaming forums project.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They wouldnt. Microsoft sees hardware sales as a small part of the big picture these days. Player engagement is their bread and butter. See Gamepass...

MS avoids numbers because they are not good. They talk about other stuff because it obfuscates things. Skeletons killed, bullets fired, unique players, etc. They bragged about numbers last gen and early this gen, then changed tactics when sales were getting bad.

70 million? Lol. After this Christmas season of it hasn't already reached 40 million it surely will buy the end of this year.

What I find more hilarious than this 70 million claim are those who are so eager to suggest 40 million is terrible. Some like EDMIX are even claiming it's like the WiiU. Just goes to show how bad some of these critics are.

Top Bottom