• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone has left Obsidian Entertainment

He's made comments about inXile recently. I wish I could remember the interview but I just read it in the last week.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense on the surface.

I think he wanted to make Van Buren with them some day? But that seemed far-far-away talk

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Clearly he's joining King!

More seriously, some guesses:
1.) Full time freelancing
2.) Denius-Sams Gaming Academy at the University of Texas at Austin
3.) Switching to novel writing

Well this sucks. Even if his visible contributions to Obsidian games haven't been as notable since probably New Vegas, he still seems like the face of Obsidian to me.

I'd hope he doesn't leave gaming altogether since he's a super talented guy. At the same time, I don't really know why he'd go to another small/mid sized developer like inXile where he'd presumably have less sway. Its not like he was some middling guy at Obsidian. Which kind of leaves it at a big publisher/developer offering him gobs of money or maybe doing something that gives him even more freedom than he had at Obsidian, I guess.

They do have a pipeline of working on games they want to work on though - Wasteland 2 -> Torment -> The Bard's Tale 4
That might be pretty enticing. I don't know what obsidian's plans future plans are though. Are they going back to kickstarter or doing more for-hire work?

If there was some passion project he wanted to work on that would only require an inXile sized budget then he could just do it at Obsidian. They're in relatively good shape now. Unless there's some internal politics going on at Obsidian that we're not privy to, it's hard to imagine what new opportunities moving to inXile would open up.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well......shit :(

Hope he ends up somewhere cool.

Still holding out for KOTOR 3

edit: Though I'm curious what prompted this. IIRC, he wasn't super-involved in Pillars, maybe looking for something to sink his teeth into?

oceanskie

Banned
It would be pretty wild to play a Bethesda game with a handful of Avellone-written
good
characters and the rest as we are used to.

They could make it a plot point, like only a handful of people in the world actually have a soul or something.

lol

Interfectum

I just don't get what he couldn't do at Obsidian that he's going to do elsewhere... unless he's moving to a much bigger studio. I'm calling it: Amazon.

JDSN

Banned
It would be pretty wild to play a Bethesda game with a handful of Avellone-written
good

They could make it a plot point, like only a handful of people in the world actually have a soul or something.

That explains Cass on New Vegas.

Go to BioWare, help them out Chris :(

I would be... ok with this? Granted, modern BioWare's issues go far deeper than the quality of their writing. But that is a problem. Probably one that not even Avellone could fix but it would be interesting to see him be able to be a lead at a studio like BioWare that has a "AAA" budget.

Then again, I'd probably want to see him try his hand at another "AAA" budget Fallout first.

Eusis

Avellone is clearly leaving Obsidian to pursue his life-long dream of being a professional Kickstarter stretch goal.
So that is the secret $5 million Bloodstained stretch goal. Awful lot just to have an Igavania with great writing at last though.

Dinda

I hope EA offered him a lead role at Bioware for Knights of the old Republic 3.

Or Bethesda at a new Studio developing Fallout: New van Buren

Nairume

Banned
Unless there's some internal politics going on at Obsidian that we're not privy to, it's hard to imagine what new opportunities moving to inXile would open up.
While budget stuff wouldn't change, I imagine inXile being a smaller company that doesn't (yet) need to take on contract work to keep afloat (which Obsidian seemingly does) may make them more appealing, despite it being an apparent downgrade from what he has at Obsidian.

O.DOGG

I kind of had a feeling that may be happening at some point. He wasn't featured in the Eternity documentary, which was surprising for Obsidian's creative director (and a Kickstarter goal!). Still, surprising and somewhat sad news.

This sucks for Obsidian but it wasn't really the biggest surprise with all the projects he's been contributing to over the last couple of years. I really hope he just goes full time freelancer and contributes to as many games as possible. Tying him down to Bethesda or Bioware's mediocre games would be a downgrade.

dude

dude
This is too bad, but I wish him well on his next projects.

I also think Obsidian has enough talent to carry on even without Avellone.

RIP Obsidian

He hasn't been overly involved in any of Obsidian's recent games if I'm not mistaken and they still deliver writing on another level. While he is an absolute legend among video game writers, Obsidian's got quite a few of them. New Vegas was superbly written for instance with Fenstermaker in the lead. Their talent pool is still unmatched among WRPG devs, let's not kid ourselves.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what opportunity could be better than the deal he had at Obsidian.

I'm thinking a change of venue or direction is the real impetus, as I would imagine he could have stayed at Obsidian for life if he wanted to.

Tenebrous

This is really shocking. I'll always be interested in what the guy does next - Fingers crossed he stays in the industry (but not Bethesda or Bioware).

Damn, curious to see where he ends up. Never thought he'd leave Obsidian.

He and Kojima will found a new studio together.

Kojima's storytelling with Avellone's writing extended to 10,000 pages in a CRPG? That would be barmy, haha.

Acosta

That's a bummer... I can't understand this.

Hopefully he lands on InXile or any other studio where he can be lead. We need more videogames written by him.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No :(
Who will now write my good RPG stories? Who? WHO?

good

I....I actually want to see this now. I would be hilarious.

Sijil

cRPG's are less without him, really heartbreaking, hope he finished his contributions to Numenera and PoE expansions. Man this sucks, unless he ends up at InXile then all is well. Going to peak around RPGCodex to see the reaction, he has a large following there.

Top Bottom