• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone is Fighting Back (Update: won seven figure lawsuit, formal apology/retraction from accusers)

Bogey

Banned
Can some please explain that "fed them drinks" thing like I'm 5?
How do you "feed" someone drinks?
Why would someone complain about a guy buying drinks?

:messenger_hushed:

Chris made up this elaborate story of how world war 3 was about to break out, and people only had minutes left to put on their gas masks. The rest is history.

aQtpTYnGtfuq0pnbU9bEF_XNh_pzhG8PJsPVg7v5eSY.jpg

Kadayi

Banned
Did he delete that tweet?

No, it's still there, with a bunch of responses basically essentially laughing at him. Also seems according to this Tweet

That this week he decided to get in on the action and throw out a bunch of accusations about someone he used to work with to slander their character but has since decided it was unfair to blame the atmosphere of Toxicity at Videogamer (presumably a site? IWN) upon one single person but instead place it on : -

AfraidUniqueAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

Honestly, the abject vileness of the like of Lees makes my skin crawl.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
CA needs to Lawyer the fuck up and sue her for defamation of character and loss of earnings. This Twitter character assassination BS won't go away until people learn that there are serious consequences that can cut both ways.

Last edited:

Teslerum

The ex responds

I took some time to figure out how I want to say this.
Ultimately, I’m going to say what I need to, and I know there will be those who will try to read between the lines, find holes, and twist my words how they want. I can’t change that. The only thing I have control over is what I can say now. The “we demand proof” crowd will never be satisfied with anything any emotionally abused victim provides, so I will just state some facts instead that show what type of character is present here.

1) Karissa posted a thread about her experiences with him. I am the friend she mentions halfway through the thread.

2) She does not include my name in that thread

3) But you already know it’s me because he named me publicly in his own tweets and without my consent

4) He mentions we saw each other for years after our first meeting. He and I were seeing each other from September 2013 to September 2014. I have not seen him since.

5) When I saw the first tag where he mentions me, I DMed him with a request to remove me from the thread because I felt uncomfortable being named.

6) He did not remove me nor did he delete any tweets naming me.

7) I now cannot send him DMs, but he has not blocked me. This leads me to believe he saw my DM.

8) Those tweets are still active as of this post

9) If someone asks you to not do something because it makes them uncomfortable/scared and you do it and/or make no move to remedy the situation? You’re not a good person.

10) A writer who has worked on successful RPGs, who understands how the written language works, should know how to write an apology. Outing a victim, naming them repeatedly out to the public, and writing “I should have been better, and I apologize” is not an apology; it is a dog whistle.

You don’t do that to someone you supposedly care about. You just don’t.

..... What?

I thought we had libel laws so people couldn't publically smear someone in print without proof. Why aren't victims using those laws? Is it because it's across borders? We need a new law to represent the new normal: jail time for the instigator and 5% of your before tax income paid (or 500 USD, whichever is greater) to your victim everytime you join a mob to slander someone online without proof. For minors, it could be expulsion for the leader and a 3 day vacation from school for every follower.

*proof: due process with law enforcement agents.

This epedemic needs to stop.

Last edited:

niilokin

They still nagging him to write a proper apology when he's already got fucked over. "A writer who has worked on successful RPGs, who understands how the written language works, should know how to write an apology. " What the fuck, he doesn't owe them anything after this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Warhorse Studios. AFAIR there was even ban on resetera on talking about their game. Destructive Creations is also not woke.

So excited for the next project from them. Last I heard it is a sequel to Kingdom Come set around 100 years after the events of the first game.

I wonder if limp dicked reviewers like Giant Bomb will actually play/review it this time or still make silly accusations of "we don't review racist content (ignore our racist staff)."

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So excited for the next project from them. Last I heard it is a sequel to Kingdom Come set around 100 years after the events of the first game.

I wonder if limp dicked reviewers like Giant Bomb will actually play/review it this time or still make silly accusations of "we don't review racist content (ignore our racist staff)."

Sounds awesome, I can't wait.

Fuck the alleged "game journalists', you know, those same pieces of human refuse throwing Avellone under the bus to virtue signal. It seems like the first game did just fine without them. A sequel will do much better.

Hudo

Can't be said enough

vavra-sjw-blown-the-fuck-out.jpg
Kingdom Come: Deliverance was successful in the end from what I hear. So the stupid attempt at "cancelling" the game because there weren't black people in medieval Bohemia (where the game is set) and therefore was somehow 'racist' didn't pan out (thank god).

Also: I didn't know he worked on Mafia and Mafia II! Good man!

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

I wonder if limp-dicked reviewers like Giant Bomb will actually play/review it this time or still make silly accusations of "we don't review racist content (ignore our racist staff)."

You absolutely know those cunt nuggets won't budge because that would require them to re-assess their original assumptions, and lets honest here, that's beyond them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Kingdom Come: Deliverance was successful in the end from what I hear. So the stupid attempt at "cancelling" the game because there weren't black people in medieval Bohemia (where the game is set) and therefore was somehow 'racist' didn't pan out (thank god).

Also: I didn't know he worked on Mafia and Mafia II! Good man!

Oh, it wasn't that there wasn't any black people in Bohemia, the issue wasn't that there wasn't any black people in this very tiny section of Bohemia.

You absolutely know those cunt nuggets won't budge because that would require them to re-assess their original assumptions, and lets honest here, that's beyond them.

Yep. Sad to see folks that used to be all for quality reviews such as Jeff Gerstmann becoming the very thing he once hated. Probably still burns them up inside to see the game sell as well as it did. 3 million, last I heard?

Sounds awesome, I can't wait.

Fuck the alleged "game journalists', you know, those same pieces of human refuse throwing Avellone under the bus to virtue signal. It seems like the first game did just fine without them. A sequel will do much better.

Yep! I wonder if we will be playing as a new character entirely, or a descendant of Henry. Even with its glitches and bugs at launch, I still had more fun during Kingdom Come than most games the past few years. If they can launch with a relatively bug free adventure with the sequel, I can't see it doing poorly. Need more Immersive Sims like it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Other than Colin Moriarty, are there any other game journalists/podcasters who don't pander to these children? Can we get a list of names?

So like, the opposite of a blacklist? A whitelist maybe?

Clownfish TV, HeroHei, YongYea, SophiaNarwitz - AlphaOmegaSin used to fight back, but I haven't seen him in years.

Codex finally issued a statement about this:
https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11481
We here at the RPG Codex have known, and even strongly admired, Chris Avellone's work for many years. Perhaps one of the most well known RPG character writers in the gaming industry, Chris has worked on and has been involved with many RPGs that users on this site consider classics. Games such as Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, and Icewind Dale II.

Not to mention Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster, along with a handful of other, lesser known titles.

Like many, we have struggled to come to terms with the allegations made against Mr Avellone. It's tough to respond to a story made about someone you love when you are feeling hurt and betrayed. Emotions make it difficult to think clearly. But apparently, the truth is out.

Chris Avellone isn't gay.

We are just as shocked as everybody at learning this. For decades, in fact since this site was founded back in the heady days of 2002, it was our assumption that Chris was a raging homosexual. He wasn't known as Chris "Asselone" for nothing. And we certainly weren't the only ones.

To discover that this isn't the case has left many of us shocked and without words. It is something none of us ever expected:

To discover that Chris "the Love God" Avellone has made awkward passes at women in their 40s and been rejected, hurts us in ways that cannot be logically understood with logic or reason. It's something that has rocked many in this community to their core. And it's something a lot of us will need time to process, to heal. To learn to forgive.

We know the entire internet is in uproar at this at the moment, and we respect anyone who needs time to process this information.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Heart goes out to him. Hope he bounces back. He will. Talent wins in the end.
I wonder if he can ghostwrite until this blows over? He’s a talented guy, but he was practically a stretch-goal for a lot of Kickstarters. Without his name, I wonder if he would still be able to write for games.

gow3isben

^^And with his pedigree there are bound to be some lower tier studios willing to take the superficial hate for his work, until this blows over and the vultures focus their talons elsewhere, and he gets back in the game.

Last edited:
^^And with his pedigree there are bound to be some lower tier studios willing to take the superficial hate for his work, until this blows over and the vultures focus their talons elsewhere, and he gets back in the game.

This gave me an idea. We could kickstart to comission a novella or something for Chris Avellone to write, giving him meaningful work and sticking it to those assholes that people are sick of their throwing people under the bus bullshit.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I don't know if one would call it a coincidence or a crazy theory, even though she did tweet within this new wave of attacks via twitter but, Quinn seems to have at least one (maybe two?) failed but active crowdfunded projects, where she obviously ran out of money, delivered nothing and stopped updating.

It's around this time that her backers are becoming restless again, since the "currency" of her having to overcome her last year's ordeal from telling her "story" on twitter about Holowka resulting in him committing suicide is expiring. She her probably walked away with some money from support funds at that time too.

There's certainly some connection there considering these insane people on twitter are coordinating in some way.

Last edited:

Teslerum

And we have another ally with the hottest of takes by Mike Laidlaw + Additional info.

So, don't forget people. Unless a women FLIPS OUT about getting to have sex with you its rape. Also you have to confirm this multiple times otherwise its still rape even if the former part applies.

Handel

Mike Laidlaw showing himself to be a clown, what ridiculous standards to have when laying down judgement on people's lives and careers. You also know that him and the rest would never apply these standards to women, because they don’t hold women accountable for anything. Bet you 99.9% of women have never asked for consent, and especially not asked for consent multiple times or even cared beyond getting offended if their partner didn't seem totally into something.

Teslerum

Mike Laidlaw showing himself to be a clown, what ridiculous standards to have when laying down judgement on people's lives and careers. You also know that him and the rest would never apply these standards to women, because they don’t hold women accountable for anything. Bet you 99.9% of women have never asked for consent, and especially not asked for consent multiple times or even cared beyond getting offended if their partner didn't seem totally into something.

(As always) It gets worse

Please remember that this is an exchange between Mike Laidlaw, Lead Designer of Dragon Age I+II and Sarah Baylus Lead Writer of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

SkylineRKR

I love how those drama queens like to hear from both sides.

They don't.

Why is literally everyone getting "canceled" these days though

Because hysteria.

Everyone has done something wrong in the past. Maybe he also stole candy when he was 7. They're so afraid of bad rep they cancel someone even when its not proven.

And we have another ally with the hottest of takes by Mike Laidlaw + Additional info.

So, don't forget people. Unless a women FLIPS OUT about getting to have sex with you its rape. Also you have to confirm this multiple times otherwise its still rape even if the former part applies.

Alright. I will hence treat women like service machines that need to follow a specific protocol for proper course of action.

SkylineRKR

consent? The beauty of sex (with your partner) is that it happens spontanously at times. Asking defeats half the fun. Usually when you have to ask your relationship already hit rock bottom some time ago, lol. Protip; women have desires as well. Its true.

Those guys are virgins right?

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
(As always) It gets worse

Please remember that this is an exchange between Mike Laidlaw, Lead Designer of Dragon Age I+II and Sarah Baylus Lead Writer of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Wonderful stuff.

I guess he's never ever talked to a frustrated women who's annoyed that she goes to the effort of getting in shape and getting her hair done and doing an amazing make up job and choosing the best dress for the occasion and then she doesn't get any compliments or looks or anything?

FFS. Anyone who's ever been in a goddamn relationship ever should understand the need to reaffirm and build up your partners self esteem.
WTF would this clown do if his wife/husband/partner comes into the room wearing some sexy new underwear? Cover his eyes?

Or if he's out at the club and some hottie is eyeballing him at the bar for like 15 minutes straight? He just hides under a table or something?
Fuckin hell.

Just imagining this absolute douche sitting single at a houseparty and a similarly single cutie is just glancing and smiling at him and he's ignoring the shit out of her while she thinks to herself "what the fuck is up with this guy". She aint gonna make the first move because she doesn't want to take the burden of potentially being rejected so she's hoping the guy will show some initiative and gumption (probably that's an attractive trait tbh) and make the first move. Meanwhile he's thinking "must not pursue, must not pursue" as he overthinks himself into a lonely night at home wanking off to old Baywatch episodes.

Hahaha.
Imagine the horror of living in a world where people actually enjoy social interactions with others.
Especially members of the opposite sex. (or same sex, or both, all good).

Some people are so disconnected from reality. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom