• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Chan is reaching out to indie game developers to make a Sonichu game

Status
Not open for further replies.
300px-038-CWCsNP35.jpg

Chris Chandler [his current legal name] has posted a video stating that he would like to get in touch with indie game developers in order to produce a Sonichu video game. Do we have an takers??!! Personally, I honestly believe it would be a great project for an indie developer with plenty of interesting twists and turns along the way. You're guaranteed to get some exposure in the process. For better or for worse, this is an IP with a moderately sizeable "fan" base.

Here's the video

He is scouting for developers who are interested in creating "video games for a potential Sonichu and Rosechu video game, maybe one about myself, as well as DLC character- DLC of my characters, maybe myself, for Smash Bros."

This OP is going to seem like it's going all over the place, but I'm just trying to give a brief explanation of what's going on in that first video posted to those who may have never heard of Chris Chan before and may wish to take an interest in his video game project now.

Featured last year as #22 on Cracked's photoplasty of "Insane Subcultures"
CWccracked.jpg

For those who are unaware of Chis/Christine Chandler, I'll provide this very condensed rundown. Christian/Christine Weston Chandler (commonly referred to as "Chris Chan") is a high-functioning autistic who became popular online around 2007. He showed a heavy interest in video and card games such as Sonic and Pokemon. He created his own hand drawn comic book series based around a character he named "Sonichu" a combination of Sonic and Pikachu. Sonichu's universe is named "CWCville" (pronounced: "quick-ville"), Chris describes it openly and in his comic. It is an incredibly important part of his life.

There are too many nuances in Chis Chan's life to detail in one post. He lives a [now] mostly reclusive life, yet he has his own wiki with over a thousand articles written about him. Almost every aspect of his life is detailed online. It's impossible to lock down specifically why so many people are fascinated with Chris but there's no doubt that much of it can be blamed on the constant trolling of his life, both online and offline. Chis has been the unfortunate target of several trolls who seek to ridicule and harass him. It's possible that because of Chris' mental state he is especially vulnerable to being lured and exploited by trolls.

Some of these trolling attempts give some insight into his desire to create a Sonichu game. In 2009 a troll posing as Shigeru Miyamoto contacted Chris claiming that Nintendo would like to make a Sonichu game with Chris' involvement. Chris continued with over a dozen emails and this period of his life is known as the "Miyamoto Saga." The troll aimed to have Chris travel to Nintendo of America's headquarters in Redmond, Washington so he could be rejected by them in person. It ended when Chris reached out to Nintendo and received a surprisingly detailed letter explaining that they have no record of contacting him and that Shigeru Miyamoto speaks and writes very little English so there's no way he could have ever been in contact with him.

Another early indication that he hoped to make a Sonichu game was in his comic where he had a fake ad announcing a game called Sonichu Adventure for the GameCube. His failed attempts at creating a game include levels he made in Little Big Planet and his involvement with a game developer named "JK Productions" which turned out to be just another organized trolling campaign. This is probably why he specifically asks for developers with verifiable experience.

Some of you may be familiar with Chris because he gained some notoriety last year when he was arrested after vandalizing a GameStop display as a way of protesting SEGA's decision to change the color of Sonic's arms to blue and he maced a store employee in the process. Video of the incident can be found here.

You might also notice that he's cross-dressing in both that video and in the first video in this thread, Chris refers to himself as "Christine" this is because in 2011 Chris became a "tom girl" and last year came out as a self described "Intersex of Female Soul with Male Body." He refers to himself as Christine but as you can see, I and others still refer to him as Chris Chan just for the sake of consistency and to avoid confusion, not out of ill will. However, it should be noted that he is not a homosexual and ironically, may have a fear and hatred of homosexuals.

You may also notice that he takes extra care to prove his identity. This is because of (you guessed it) trolls who convinced him that a man named Jimmy Hill stole the idea of Sonichu and was selling merchandise in Europe. He also said in another recent video that someone else is selling merchandise behind his back, but I don't see any proof of that. Either way, Chris usually reacts to these events by believing that someone is trying to steal his identity and he must prove who he is.

I've left out a ton of information and content because it would never fit in this thread but like I said, there's an entire wiki just about him. But be careful browsing it because a lot of the content he's involved himself with is NSFW. There is a high school project documentary that was made about him and it's surprisingly one of the most unbiased resources for a quick summary about his life.

I didn't make this thread to support the harassment of Chris. It's quite the opposite, I'm really not even that interested in what he does. Instead, what fascinates me is how internet groups react to him. It's actually pretty sad that his trolling is so intense. His life has become a very real Orwellian dystopia where he honest-to-god cannot trust someone walking down the street because he has every reason to believe that it could be a troll. He might have been a perfect poster child to show how bad cyber bullying can get, but his own behavior is the source of a lot of his troubles. I hope that he can get his game made because it might be a nice experience for someone who is so used to being exploited online and if the game isn't good it'll at least be interesting.

I honestly think it is a great opportunity for some indie dev out there that's trying to find their big break. Whatever becomes of it, there's no doubt that it will instantly become an artifact in gaming history and you will be famously (or infamously) associated with it. If you'd like to contact him, here is the contact information he left in the video description:
Christian/Christine Weston Chandler Address: 14 Branchland Ct. Ruckersville, VA 22968-9545

Email: Anightinchristine@gmail.com

Cwcville Shopping: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CwcvilleShopping

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CwcvilleGuardian

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CWCSonichu

..... yes, yes... I know his email address reads "a night in Christine" do you really want to know what that is? Are you sure?? Here ya go.

Mods, nuke this shit.

He's an internet celebrity and he's reaching out to developers to make a game. I agree that a lot of the other stuff he's done online has no place on this forum, but there are other people with much less of a social following who have their own threads when they want to make a game.

Corpekata

Banned
He's an internet celebrity and he's reaching out to developers to make a game. I agree that a lot of the other stuff he's done online has no place on this forum, but there are other people with much less of a social following who have their own threads when they want to make a game.

Isn't he like notably mentally ill ? It's not like DSP or something where he's just a odd guy, it's a guy that goes and assaults people because they have Sonic stands with wrong colored arms.

I really think this individual needs serious, intense, long-term professional help that an internet forum cannot provide, and any attention or publicity (even like this, honestly) is counterproductive to his long term well-being.

Also, any commercial product made about "Sonichu" is clearly copyright infringement. What a pointless exercise.

edit: and I just realized, he's asking for an *indie* developer to somehow add *himself* into Smash Bros. as a DLC character. This person needs a level of help none of us can provide.

Salbug

Wow, uh... I had no idea he was still around, or at least active.

Isn't he like notably mentally ill ? It's not like DSP or something where he's just a odd guy, it's a guy that goes and assaults people because they have Sonic stands with wrong colored arms.

He's on the spectrum.

Bullshit.

Yes, and I did mention it in the OP. But really, you think he's crazy, go look up mommarobotnik's thread about Silicon Knights vs. Crystal Dynamics.

Slayven

Lets say someong is stupid enough to entertain this. How will they avoid getting Sega and Nintendo's legal teams feet shoved down their throats?

CNCOMICS

Woah, I didn't know he was still around, I completely forgot about the Gamestop incident. And he has an Etsy store, with custom Sonichu amiibo?!

I cant believe anyone feels sorry for him...he's the most smug, arrogant, racist, hypocritical person. Who care if he has autism....

BTW, his latest video before this one was him ranting at a person who was making a video game adaption of his life.

Make it a platformer with VN elements.

I'm expecting ridiculously good quality from someone doing this ironically.

I backed Spark the Electric Jester and I'm debating whether I should ask them if they would like to contact him to see if they could get permission for an unlockable Sonichu skin.

Have fun getting elbow-dropped by multiple legal teams, anyone who entertains this!

He was actually awarded the copyright to Sonichu, I think he even shows in that video. What, do you think Go Bots ever stopped Transformers?

Komo

Banned
I cant believe anyone feels sorry for him...he's the most smug, arrogant, racist, hypocritical person. Who care if he has autism....

BTW, his latest video before this one was him ranting at a person who was making a video game adaption of his life.

to add to that, in his recent video he made a transphobic comment and put down a 'fellow trans' person, claiming they were 'having trouble transitioning' in a condescending tone. which is insanely ironic

he's pretty much human scum, tbh. It's very hard to feel bad for him

he's pretty much human scum, tbh. It's very hard to feel bad for him

Can I use this argument about every person in the world with a serious mental illness that results in a lack of social aptitude, communication skills, and empathy?

The level of general awfulness in this thread is really shocking.

Alchemy

Why do we need this? Like... sure thread whining or whatever. But Christine has serious problems and has been turned into a punching bag by the internet amplifying everything. Just let this shit go please.

Can I use this argument about every person in the world with a serious mental illness that results in a lack of social aptitude, communication skills, and empathy?
...the guy made a joke about the twin towers, and all the people who died...

And no. He dosen't have a serious illness. He's high functioning (and he hates people who have aspergers),

Corpekata

Banned

I'd wager a great many people don't know fuck all about the guy except for the very few instances where he does something insanely stupid and breaks out of his weird cult bubble, like that assault. So all a lot of people see, like myself, is someone that is clearly in need of professional help, because we're not doing things like watching his latest videos.

Komo

Banned

The level of general awfulness in this thread is really shocking.

It's funny. you only really hear this from people who don't look into Chris-chan and take everything they see at face value.

please look into him a bit more, then decide whether or not our comments are acceptable.

nobody's telling him to kill himself or wishing for him to die. he's just a nasty person who gets a lot of well-deserved misfortune.

Zaptruder

Banned
No more Chris-chan threads please.

Not only is it not really newsworthy, but Chris' own behaviour/actions tends to incite the kind of internet attention and bullying that is creating that nasty feedback loop of poor outcomes leading to poor behaviour.

Camjo-Z

Because if there's one thing an indie developer is looking for, it's an idea guy who can contribute nothing more than shitty crayon graphics and negative press!

Fhtagn

The entire Chris-Chan saga gets sadder and sadder each time I see an update on it.

Not only is it not really newsworthy, but Chris' own behaviour/actions tends to incite the kind of internet attention and bullying that is creating that nasty feedback loop of poor outcomes leading to poor behaviour.

Agreed. I don't care what the excuse is, everything I've ever read about this person is a severe bummer.

...the guy made a joke about the twin towers, and all the people who died...
I don't know the context, but even assuming the worst possible situation - how exactly does this justify thousands of people doing things like regarding him as "human scum", making fun of everything he does, trolling him at every opportunity, and turning his entire life into a running joke?

And no. He dosen't have a serious illness.
Are you a mental health professional? I'm not either, but I'm not the one judging his entire life, calling him human scum and dehumanizing him to the point of a cartoon internet punching bag.
please look into him a bit more, then decide whether or not our comments are acceptable.

nobody's telling him to kill himself or wishing for him to die. he's just a nasty person who gets a lot of well-deserved misfortune.

I don't care how horrible of a person he is, this forum (and most reasonable people) is not in the business of juvenile bullying, disgusting piling on, and name-calling. Does the fact he posts stupid YT videos directly effect your life? If not, leave him alone and be the bigger person.

otherwise, this could be a legit opportunity for an indie dev, and what better place to put it than GAF?
Because it's obvious copyright infringement, and therefore *not* a "legit opportunity", but just another funny way to troll and make fun of someone who is easy to troll and make fun of.

How many hundreds of people have been banned from this forum for saying similar dumb bullshit about Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu? When is any sort of internet trolling or harassment justified? When did victim blaming become OK? What is going on in this thread?

Komo

Banned

It's the most entertaining thing I've seen on the Gaming side in weeks, to be honest

plus, the only people that are derailing this are the ones that are shouting for it to be removed because it's somehow offensive. otherwise, this could be a legit opportunity for an indie dev, and what better place to put it than GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom