• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Pranger, Out-Spoken Nintendo Treehouse Localizer, was Fired

Calamari41

41 > 38
People often said there was no damage to Nintendo through all this.. might be true if you inform yourself like we do. The majority (and Cliffy) just gets their news from hyperbolic headlines like the one from Kotaku. Woudln´t even surprise me if the vast, vast majority of people thinks Nintendo is once again to blame here.

I mean, shit. We all know Cliffy is unhinged and kind of a blowhard in general, but you have a famous big name third party developer publicly stating that he will not work with Nintendo due to this whole episode. People were arguing about "damages" earlier. Hello?

I mean, shit. We all know Cliffy is unhinged and kind of a blowhard in general, but you have a famous big name third party developer publicly stating that he will not work with Nintendo due to this whole episode. People were arguing about "damages" earlier. Hello?

I was just talking about this Pranger thing and how it blew out of proportion due to his unprofessional facebook post.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I was just talking about this Pranger thing and how it blew out of proportion due to his unprofessional facebook post.

I'm agreeing with you

I also made the point pages ago that this is the reason only PR is allowed to craft the message. You can't put random stuff out there which people can take out of context as easily as this.

Edit: I hope you didn't think my "hello?" was for you! It was for people saying that there was no harm done.

I'm agreeing with you

I also made the point pages ago that this is the reason only PR is allowed to craft the message. You can't put random stuff out there which people can take out of context as easily as this.

Edit: I hope you didn't think my "hello?" was for you! It was for people saying that there was no harm done.

Got it. ^^

Mega

Banned
It's very easy to tell who's never had a real job in this thread lol

Yeah. Too many idealistic young people acting like the firing is unfair (lol) and it's all a big non-issue that Nintendo needs to forget and forgive. Right.

It reeks of a certain naiveness and belief that one never be held accountable, a misunderstanding that sometimes our actions do warrant real punishments instead of meaningless wrist slaps. Some companies, big and small, have too much at stake for fools like the fellow in this story to do what he did unabated. This all seems entirely lost on the "unfair" crowd that passes on the blame and thinks the Internet overreacted. I feel bad for people who go into the workforce with this ridiculous attitude.

If you work for a major company, and you:

• Go on a public interview without permission.
  • Air some of your company's less popular decisions and dirty laundry.
  • Discuss internal decisions made at your company at length.
  • Criticize some of your company's decisions and say that some aspects of a current product were a mistake.
  • Mock some of your company's most enthusiastic customers in a stereotypical dumb-guy voice.
Obviously, obviously, you're going to get fired.

I like this guy, and I really hope he finds a nice new job quickly. But the idea that Nintendo acted like some sort of draconian monster here is crazy. A major, entertainment-oriented corporation in a very opinionated industry is not going to let every low-level employee run around discussing and critiquing all the company's decisions publicly without permission. That's just not going to happen.

Post of the thread.

Also don't forget these bits (not that I'm saying you did obviously):

-He kicks off the first 5-10 minutes completely trashing Square Enix over the FF VII remake. That probably also raised some eyebrows of concern at both NOA and NCL considering SE now seems to be in the process of possibly initiating strong support for NX with the DQ 11 announcement and their stated desire to possibly see FF 14 on NX as well.

-Implying Sakurai is a high maintenance control freak to point of crying himself to sleep over the game, being a diva over footage decisions for commercials and possibly nerfing Ness in Brawl just because Nate Bilhdorff supposedly destroyed Sakurai in a Melee match using Ness years ago. With that last one he's not only embarrassing Sakurai, he's using a very personal anecdote and dirty laundry resulting from a game design decision possibly done out of spite told to him in private by Bihldorff probably without his permission from a time at least 11 years before Pranger even worked there.

-Spoiling voice actor work on SF Zero, stating he is the voice of the first boss, implication maybe being Nintendo is using Treehouse folks to do some of the voices to save money? Hmmm.

Treehouse is powerful within NoA, definitely. They're the "cool kids" in Redmond, and why do you think that is? Because beside NoA C-level, they have the most direct contact with the mothership in Japan, which is where all the real power is.

Even still, when NoJ tells anyone at NoA, including Treehouse or C-suite, NoA asks how high. NoA doesn't have the leverage to push back on NoJ at all, particularly if NoJ came down with a kill order on a relatively low-level NoA employee.

The Treehouse crew are definitely the "cool kids" and they deserve that moniker for the serious reasons you stated, it's too bad this guy drank into that kool-aid a little too hard which caused him to think he was bigger and more untouchable than he was which ultimately cost him his job. There's little doubt NCL probably initiated the final call to fire him after all the personal dirty laundry on Sakurai he shared, not to mention fans on forums and blogs in Japan were complaining about what he said in the Podcast! At that point he was finished.

On a more positive note, if folks want to read a fascinating and in depth approved story on the inner workings of the Treehouse, I highly recommend this very detailed Kotaku article from 2013:

http://kotaku.com/inside-the-treehouse-the-people-who-help-make-nintendo-1301809672

-Implying Sakurai is a high maintenance control freak to point of crying himself to sleep over the game, being a diva over footage decisions for commercials and possibly nerfing Ness in Brawl just because Nate Bilhdorff supposedly destroyed Sakurai in a Melee match using Ness years ago. With that last one he's not only embarrassing Sakurai, he's using a very personal anecdote and dirty laundry resulting from a game design decision possibly done out of spite told to him in private by Bihldorff probably without his permission from a time at least 11 years before Pranger even worked there.

Having finally listened to both podcasts, this is the part that was the most egregious, I think. He was revealing the contents of internal company communications mentioning parties by name. The odd part is he was almost trying to pay Sakurai a compliment with some of the things he said by describing him as an auteur, a mad genius, and a workaholic that cared so much about the finished product reflecting his vision that he worked to exhaustion. Yet at the same time, at least at face value, he complained about the 100+ work hours put into getting footage for the TV commercial and Sakurai's stern disapproval of their work.

We also have him defending Nintendo while at the same time mocking segments of the fan base and saying he's currently in training to do public appearances.... while making a public appearance, which he even acknowledges.

Why do this? I mean, it's one thing to complain about a rough day at work at the dinner table but to go public with this information? What good could that possibly do? Like many others before said, both appearances on both podcasts sound like someone who is already out the door.

Edit to add:
-He kicks off the first 5-10 minutes completely trashing Square Enix over the FF VII remake. That probably also raised some eyebrows of concern at both NOA and NCL considering SE now seems to be in the process of possibly initiating strong support for with the DQ 11 announcement and their stated desire to possibly see FF 14 on NX as well.

This was really bad as well and honestly, my jaw dropped when he talked about this. We went out there as a self-appointed Nintendo representative and speculated that another company's project (one of the most anticipated by fans) will not be done by the end of this generation. I'm not sure why he felt he had the freedom to do this when nobody else at Nintendo has ever made anything but the usual positive PR spin (another edit: OK, other than Reggie) when talking about other companies.

For some reason the podcast will work if you click on the link provided in this page: http://www.podcasts.com/geeks-with-...w-podcast-135-chris-pranger-from-the-escapist

Just listened to some of it, this other Podcast is a mess too, this guy was cocky and setting himself up a year in advance:

39min:30sec

"I'm probably breaking my rules, like the big company rules... (goes on to talk about company protocol about how an individual shouldn't view themselves as a spokesperson, a "standout" or above their team)

43min mark: '...(I/we) can't go on a gaming site and say Let me tell you the real story! 'But Nintendo! Why don't you stand up for yourself?! (Exaggerated fan voice)' Because we're not allowed to! But rest assured, we have the answer to put you in your place, if you only knew! So that's the hard thing about the job is learning to have tact....to be part of gaming but not engaged in some of the most vocal aspects of it."

44min "You don't want to be the guy that leaks stuff. When I first came to the Treehouse, I was told 'We have never leaked anything about games. We have a perfect track record.' So if you become the guy that leaks something, you're busted."

46 min: 'The littlest thing can snowball quickly snowball, so that's why we're always encouraged, do not be a 'vocal person' for video games. Try to stay away from it, don't talk about our games 'in certain senses.'

He then says "anything I say is my opinion and not the company's" but that flies right in the face of what just a few seconds before regarding what he said on NOA telling him before in how to speak and act.

57 or so min mark:

(Exaggerated fan voice): 'Why won't you bring this Japanese game over?? Why do you hate your customers?? Why won't you take our money??' It's not just some old guy is just standing there saying (in a dumb tone) 'I don't understand! I just don't want to give it to them!' 'There's a lot of business people making smart business decisions and all that adds up to money money money money money!" Then talks more about localization risks and money decisions, uses Animal Crossing as an example. Says AC was a big risk, but it payed off. Uses Earthbound as a "heartbreaking" example of a lot of work localizing something that flopped in the U.S. sales wise.

59min18sec:

"Last year there was a meeting we had where we were specifically talking about Bravely Default and we weren't sure if the localization task was going to fall to us or Square Enix. And this is this kind of common thing, a lot of games which are kind of 'out there,' are we going to help bring this over or can we do it? It's somber because...here's a schedule of...here are the games that we are going to come out with, this year....'we would love to bring these games over but if we do then we can't bring these over.' Doing more of his third person "dumb fan guy voice" in order to "debate" what he's saying on behalf of the company, 1hr4min mark near the podcast's end the hosts take a break to discuss the Vita and something about Free Comic Book day that year.

1hr10sec mark, podcast is closing and Chris states he is not speaking on behalf of Nintendo and these are only his opinions "...to cover my own butt, because I think I probably said more than I should have."

"I didn't give any game secrets away..."

Podcast host: "Haha. There's still a chance!"

Chris: "Ha, nope, not gonna happen! I love my job, it's a good job."

Ends shortly after that.

So yeah...

...a year before this blew up and this guy apparently has zero self awareness, sharing lots of conpany info (talking about their internal meeting about Bravely Default stands out as a huge no-no) and doesn't seem to realize like a gaming forum, a podcast is 100% public.

I imagine a lot of this would have been mitigated if Treehouse people weren't becoming the faces of Nintendo in America (by design).

When one of those faces is also the guy who mocks fans, some problems arise.

I imagine a lot of this would have been mitigated if Treehouse people weren't becoming the faces of Nintendo in America (by design).

When one of those faces is also the guy who mocks fans, some problems arise.

Bingo.

But try telling that to some of the people in the last thread who previously kept insisting that nothing he said was a big deal and that he was "just being refreshingly honest."

KingBroly

Banned
It's been known that Nintendo has used Treehouse for VA work for years. I believe it was Leslie Swan who originally voiced Peach in Super Mario 64. Let's also not forget the intro to Super Metroid, and the unfortunate voice work of Nate Bihldorff in Other M (I calls it like I sees it). Him saying he was the voice for the first boss in Star Fox Zero is a no-no, not only because he talked about working currently ongoing (a contradiction to his FE: Fates line) but because of how that information could have been and was misconstrued by media outlets about Nintendo being cheap.

I don't know if he just didn't get it or he just wanted to be that guy, but he clearly crossed a lot of lines here multiple times in public and it probably wouldn't be a stretch to say in private as well. Nintendo cut him off before he did something REALLY bad like reveal stuff about NX.

It's been known that Nintendo has used Treehouse for VA work for years. I believe it was Leslie Swan who originally voiced Peach in Super Mario 64. Let's also not forget the intro to Super Metroid, and the unfortunate voice work of Nate Bihldorff in Other M (I calls it like I sees it). Him saying he was the voice for the first boss in Star Fox Zero is a no-no, not only because he talked about working currently ongoing (a contradiction to his FE: Fates line) but because of how that information could have been and was misconstrued by media outlets about Nintendo being cheap.

I don't know if he just didn't get it or he just wanted to be that guy, but he clearly crossed a lot of lines here multiple times in public and it probably wouldn't be a stretch to say in private as well. Nintendo cut him off before he did something REALLY bad like reveal stuff about NX.

Very good points, especially the bolded. We don't know how he really was at NOA, but if he was this blunt in public repeatedly on podcasts, imagine how he might have been on the job when dealing with folks from NOA and NCL (we already know his dealings with Sakurai which is major) either directly or behind their backs? And yeah, they no doubt were worried about him possibly slipping important console info once NX starts getting even closer to being revealed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well this happened

utUF4Aa.png

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/632056084254076929
https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/632056169897590784
https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/632058498805796864

Cliffy B post kinda comes off as "hey look at me, I also think that Nintendo suuuuuck but I secretly also love them despite the fact I never released a game on their system."

I honestly don't think that he fully understand why Pranger was fired and why breaking NDA is bad thing, despite the fact he works in the video game market.

Too much real talk and too much revealing info, not a good combo but he is correct regarding things like the risk of niche games and fan base nonetheless.

It's sad that now he's unemployed and this will very likely keep him from getting a good job anytime soon.

Meffer

Post of the thread.

Also don't forget these bits (not that I'm saying you did obviously):

-He kicks off the first 5-10 minutes completely trashing Square Enix over the FF VII remake. That probably also raised some eyebrows of concern at both NOA and NCL considering SE now seems to be in the process of possibly initiating strong support for NX with the DQ 11 announcement and their stated desire to possibly see FF 14 on NX as well.

-Spoiling voice actor work on SF Zero, stating he is the voice of the first boss, implication maybe being Nintendo is using Treehouse folks to do some of the voices to save money? Hmmm.

The Treehouse crew are definitely the "cool kids" and they deserve that moniker for the serious reasons you stated, it's too bad this guy drank into that kool-aid a little too hard which caused him to think he was bigger and more untouchable than he was which ultimately cost him his job. There's little doubt NCL probably initiated the final call to fire him after all the personal dirty laundry on Sakurai he shared, not to mention fans on forums and blogs in Japan were complaining about what he said in the Podcast! At that point he was finished.

On a more positive note, if folks want to read a fascinating and in depth approved story on the inner workings of the Treehouse, I highly recommend this very detailed Kotaku article from 2013:

http://kotaku.com/inside-the-treehouse-the-people-who-help-make-nintendo-1301809672
You're right, I apologize from the last thread.
Allow me to eat crow.

There's little doubt NCL probably initiated the final call to fire him after all the personal dirty laundry on Sakurai he shared, not to mention fans on forums and blogs in Japan were complaining about what he said in the Podcast! At that point he was finished.

Links? I looked on the blogs I usually read but the reaction was pretty light.

Vena

Bingo.

But try telling that to some of the people in the last thread who previously kept insisting that nothing he said was a big deal and that he was "just being refreshingly honest."

I think most people disagreed with your ideas about/thoughts on localization costs and other details there within, particularly the naivety about subtitles being a realistic and viable option, not about tone. He technically did say nothing wrong with regards to that information, and its a lot of the other things he said that are damning.

Though, of course, revealing details on budgets in a tone such as his is also damning.

RangerBAD

In a way, this sounds very self-destructive. Like he knew the outcome and even wanted it.

Cliffy B post kinda comes off as "hey look at me, I also think that Nintendo suuuuuck but I secretly also love them despite the fact I never released a game on their system."

I honestly don't think that he fully understand why Pranger was fired and why breaking NDA is bad thing, despite the fact he works in the video game market.

He sounds facetious to me.

entremet

The funny thing about Cliffy's post is that company of his childhood was also one of the most ruthless video games ever.

Yamauchi ruled with an iron fist.

I think most people disagreed with your ideas about/thoughts on localization costs and other details there within, particularly the naivety about subtitles being a realistic and viable option, not about tone. He technically did say nothing wrong with regards to that information, and its a lot of the other things he said that are damning.

Though, of course, revealing details on budgets in a tone such as his is also damning.

Wow, you sure are tiresome. I'm glad to hear you're apparently privy to the fact that Nintendo Legal, PR and HR had no issue with the veracity any of that, obviously. If they didn't, he might still have a job. Seriously, you're being way too stubborn and need to give it a rest at this point.

Links? I looked on the blogs I usually read but the reaction was pretty light.

Sorry, search earlier in the thread, there's a link for it. It was a Japanese blog and someone said in the blogs comments some were saying things like "pig" and "boo-kun."

Resseh

I'm agreeing with you

And yet GAF generally hates the PR peeps such as major Nelson.

Vena

And yet GAF generally hates the PR peeps such as major Nelson.

Treehouse is no different in the sense that they are there to deliver a good message for their company, but they handle themselves very differently from your general PR mouthpiece.

Doesn't hurt that they are, as mentioned previously, positioned (intentionally and growingly) as the face of Nintendo of America and are whom the fans interact with directly more often than not, and since they are a group rather than one person they can have a bigger affect on multiple people giving much more people a more positive image. Its a dastardly good idea. :p

Sorry, search earlier in the thread, there's a link for it. It was a Japanese blog and someone said in the blogs comments some were saying things like "pig" and "boo-kun."

Ah, secondhand info. Those are just common nicknames for Nintendo fanboys.

I think people are overestimating how much NCL would be involved in the firing because they don't want to believe NoA would be "mean" or something

Vena

Wow, you sure are tiresome. I'm glad to hear you're apparently privy to the fact that Nintendo Legal, PR and HR had no issue with any of that, obviously. Seriously, you're being way too stubborn and need to give it a rest at this point.

The hell? I am telling you about what people disagreed with you on, you seem to be awful touchy on this. (Also I said he crossed the line regardless, that, however, doesn't change the fact that there was a large and long discussion over localization in which many of us disagreed with you... including a localizer in the business.)

• Criticize some of your company's decisions and say that some aspects of a current product were a mistake.
  • Mock some of your company's most enthusiastic customers in a stereotypical dumb-guy voice.

I like this guy, and I really hope he finds a nice new job quickly. But the idea that Nintendo acted like some sort of draconian monster here is crazy. A major, entertainment-oriented corporation in a very opinionated industry is not going to let every low-level employee run around discussing and critiquing all the company's decisions publicly without permission. That's just not going to happen.

Perfect summary.

I could not agree more. I work for a major company and believe me, I would never do these things. It's just common sense, imo.

Plus, we sign freaking NDAs...what did you think would happen?

I've listened to the first 10 minutes of this podcast and I can see why Nintendo said Goodbye to him. He comes off as if he's the official authority on all things business with Nintendo. Sorry to hear he lost his job but his mouth was stuck in high gear.

The hell? I am telling you about what people disagreed with you on, you seem to be awful touchy on this.

Chris Pranger during his final HR meeting:

"Ok, let me show you some posts from Vena on NeoGaf who defended me and seems to think a lot of what I said both in my tone and content was perfectly reasonable and me just being honest for the company..."

Vena

Chris Pranger during his final HR meeting:

"Ok, let me show you some posts from Vena on NeoGaf who defended me and seems to think a lot of what I said both in my tone and content was perfectly reasonable and me just being honest for the company..."

I don't think you understand what I am trying to say? In fact I wasn't actually disagreeing with you in general, I was saying that a large majority of that old thread was people disagreeing with you over localization discussions or that the things he said about localization were not incorrect. His Captain Rainbow example was a pure strawman, but his discussion on the topic and that people generally don't appreciate the costs and risks, was correct even if Xenoblade was a damn stupid point of contention for what he was talking about.

I could not agree more. I work for a major company and believe me, I would never do these things. It's just common sense, imo.

Plus, we sign freaking NDAs...what did you think would happen?

I have to agree...he was way out of line in just his comments...this is business he was acting like a secretary who was speaking for the whole company. I don't see how he could be to surprised at his termination.

I don't think you understand what I am trying to say? In fact I wasn't actually disagreeing with you in general, I was saying that a large majority of that old thread was people disagreeing with you over localization discussions or that the things he said about localization were not incorrect. His Captain Rainbow example was a pure strawman, but his discussion on the topic and that people generally don't appreciate the costs and risks, was correct even if Xenoblade was a damn stupid point of contention for what he was talking about.

So in other words you agree with me on almost everything regarding Pranger's comments and examples so arguing with you on this is a waste of my time? Sounds good to me, here let me just shuffle you on to my ignore list.

I have to agree...he was way out of line in just his comments...this is business he was acting like a secretary who was speaking for the whole company. I don't see how he could be to surprised at his termination.

I think he had a false sense of security. He prolly treated the interview the same way he would treat talking to friends at lunch. You can't do that. You represent the company (for better or worse) when you go out there and speak.

He was waaaaay too candid. Part of NDAs cover not only not discussing the items that haven't been announced (that's a no brainer) but also not to discuss strategy, procedure, confidential information. He made soooo many errors.

Listening to the podcast, I felt like I did when I would watch Michael Scott on an episode of The Office--"No, dude...stop...please...stop...oh no, he's going deeper...welp..."

R0ckman

To a degree I think in a slightly different alternate universe I would be close friends with this guy.

If he had went through his training and gotten fine tuned, I think he would have made a fine "Tree House Rep". If Bill was too busy, this guy could fill in, I think his passion is there and he would make for a great counter to Reggie, where you can almost literally see his puppet strings. This guy is clearly "one of us", so he could probably minimize back lash for certain comments the hardcore audience may not like the tune of. I think in PR controlled interviews he would have been fantastic, especially if the Treehouse policy evolved more possitively several years from now.

What the fuck?

What does that have to do with anything? Why is his love for Nintendo in doubt? Of course he adores Nintendo. He made Jazz Jackrabbit. He's not just a shooter guy.

Aselith

What does that have to do with anything? Why is his love for Nintendo in doubt? Of course he adores Nintendo. He made Jazz Jackrabbit. He's not just a shooter guy.

Jazz Jackrabbit is a side scrolling shooter...it's more akin to Megaman than it is to Mario.

Not that I doubt his love for Nintendo but that's not really the best example, namean?

Meffer

This is what I was arguing as well. While the guy gleaned too much information, he was right about the risk of certain games selling poorly because it's hard to determine who will actually buy it.

Vena

This is what I was arguing as well. While the guy gleaned too much information, he was right about the risk of certain games selling poorly because it's hard to determine who will actually buy it.

Shh. Don't get yourself put on his ignore list too.

Let's let it go, lol.

Talking out about such a secretive company is going tonland you in hot water. He knew it, and if he didnt he wasnt long for that job anyway. Needs to grow up and see this isnt that big of a deal. If your entire identity is wrapped up with a corporation, its best he got out now.

Mega

Banned
To a degree I think in a slightly different alternate universe I would be close friends with this guy.

If he had went through his training and gotten fine tuned, I think he would have made a fine "Tree House Rep". If Bill was too busy, this guy could fill in, I think his passion is there and he would make for a great counter to Reggie, where you can almost literally see his puppet strings. This guy is clearly "one of us", so he could probably minimize back lash for certain comments the hardcore audience may not like the tune of. I think in PR controlled interviews he would have been fantastic, especially if the Treehouse policy evolved more possitively several years from now.

How is a very low-totem guy with almost no job experience a fill-in for an experienced senior manager or a great counter to the President of NOA? None of what you said makes any sense. Nothing about this guy demonstrated he was equipped in any remote sense to handle senior/exec level responsibilities or able to oversee PR matters. He was barely a rung above dumb fanboy with his comments. Easily a decade or more away from maturity and real responsibility in a major company.

R0ckman

How is a very low-totem guy with almost no job experience a fill-in for an experienced senior manager or a great counter to the President of NOA? None of what you said makes any sense. Nothing about this guy demonstrated he was equipped in any remote sense to handle senior/exec level responsibilities or able to oversee PR matters. He was barely a rung above dumb fanboy with his comments. Easily a decade or more away from maturity and real responsibility in a major company.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying, it's similar to how I hate interviews with Reggie and always enjoyed Iwata's. Reggie is really not a good PR person from a personable view, Reggie is a horrible front for the hardcore audience and always has been, that interview he had in the digital event for example, was laughable. He is very 2-D, he doesn't have that "spirit" that comes with loving the brand. Iwata did, despite his visions being controversial for some.

As I said, if he would have gotten training he probably would eventually have been good in Treehouse interviews.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read through others' comments completely.

I've fortunately been able to see high corporate situations, you are taking it waaay to serious if you think all corporations are that cut and dry.

Diffense

Of course there's a risk. Give him a medal for stating the obvious. The risk is not the issue it's whether the corporation has the foresight to ascertain when it is worth taking the risk.
I'd argue that NOA very clearly made the wrong decision as they now have a sequel to promote after having shitted on the original game.
Not to mention the fact that they had a product (Wii) to support while passing on a trio of games.

$h@d0w

I'm listening to the podcast now, around a quarter into it - I now have no doubts that this guy 100% deserves to get fired.

R0ckman

Listened some more, he talks about how Earthbound did terrible even after Nintendo put a lot of money into making it a success.

Oh yeah, that marketing...

Imagine that advertisement in this age, the people behind this. I don't even want to imagine what would become of their careers.

We don't know 100% that he was fired just for this podcast. Could be other reasons, or that could be the main reason but it could be a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation.

Still... We wonder why we don't get more "real talk" from insiders instead of nothing but PR fluff. This is why. Really sad situation. :(

Well said...you hit the nail right on the head!

I'm listening to the podcast now, around a quarter into it - I now have no doubts that this guy 100% deserves to get fired.
Agreed...the only person who's surprised is Chris. He came off in this podcast sounding like he was in on all business decisions at Nintendo.. at the highest of levels. He's a localization guy according to his own words, not Reggie's right hand man.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Just listened to some of it, this other Podcast is a mess too, this guy was cocky and setting himself up a year in advance:

39min:30sec

"I'm probably breaking my rules, like the big company rules... (goes on to talk about company protocol about how an individual shouldn't view themselves as a spokesperson, a "standout" or above their team)

43min mark: '...(I/we) can't go on a gaming site and say Let me tell you the real story! 'But Nintendo! Why don't you stand up for yourself?! (Exaggerated fan voice)' Because we're not allowed to! But rest assured, we have the answer to put you in your place, if you only knew! So that's the hard thing about the job is learning to have tact....to be part of gaming but not engaged in some of the most vocal aspects of it."

44min "You don't want to be the guy that leaks stuff. When I first came to the Treehouse, I was told 'We have never leaked anything about games. We have a perfect track record.' So if you become the guy that leaks something, you're busted."

46 min: 'The littlest thing can snowball quickly snowball, so that's why we're always encouraged, do not be a 'vocal person' for video games. Try to stay away from it, don't talk about our games 'in certain senses.'

He then says "anything I say is my opinion and not the company's" but that flies right in the face of what just a few seconds before regarding what he said on NOA telling him before in how to speak and act.

57 or so min mark:

(Exaggerated fan voice): 'Why won't you bring this Japanese game over?? Why do you hate your customers?? Why won't you take our money??' It's not just some old guy is just standing there saying (in a dumb tone) 'I don't understand! I just don't want to give it to them!' 'There's a lot of business people making smart business decisions and all that adds up to money money money money money!" Then talks more about localization risks and money decisions, uses Animal Crossing as an example. Says AC was a big risk, but it payed off. Uses Earthbound as a "heartbreaking" example of a lot of work localizing something that flopped in the U.S. sales wise.

59min18sec:

"Last year there was a meeting we had where we were specifically talking about Bravely Default and we weren't sure if the localization task was going to fall to us or Square Enix. And this is this kind of common thing, a lot of games which are kind of 'out there,' are we going to help bring this over or can we do it? It's somber because...here's a schedule of...here are the games that we are going to come out with, this year....'we would love to bring these games over but if we do then we can't bring these over.' Doing more of his third person "dumb fan guy voice" in order to his goes onuntil about the 1hr4min mark near the podcast's end when the hosts take a break to discuss the Vita and something about Free Comic Book day that year.

1hr10sec mark, podcast is closing and Chris states he is not speaking on behalf of Nintendo and these are only his opinions "...to cover my own butt, because I think I probably said more than I should have."

"I didn't give any game secrets away..."

Podcast host: "Haha. There's still a chance!"

Chris: "Ha, nope, not gonna happen! I love my job, it's a good job."

Ends shortly after that.

So yeah...

...a year before this blew up and this guy apparently has zero self awareness, sharing lots of conpany info (talking about their internal meeting about Bravely Default stands out as a huge no-no) and doesn't seem to realize like a gaming forum, a podcast is 100% public.

I was in the other thread stating that I felt Nintendo were being too harsh.

I would like to retract that sentiment in light of the fact that he was setting himself up a year prior. Some of the things he said then and now on record were inappropriate and clearly against Nintendo policy. Poor judgement and common sense on his part despite being fully aware of Nintendo's policies and the consequences of breaking them.

Top Bottom