• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Wynn (Gears: Judgement) now Development Director on next Mass Effect

Pretty shweet. He was senior producer on Gears: Judgement.

As long as they keep the RPG/exploration elements intact (which they said they would), the series could use a good head on the TPS action. Having the quality of Gears' gameplay could be great.

jcZRz0voMixqP.png

https://twitter.com/HammerOfWynn/status/352140444852953088

DaBuddaDa

I read this as an effort to double down on the multiplayer/co-op/L4D/shooting/cover aspects of ME. Not excited.

I loved Judgement but I'm not sure what to make of that. :I Mass Effect's combat is a lot more fun when you're playing basically any class but soldier.

DTKT

That's why I used a "just". It's a shooter with RPG elements. I hope those remains and we aren't left with just a third person shooter.

I did play ME1, ME2 and ME3. :)

Kifimbo

He worked directly on GoW: Judgement for less than a year.

More importantly, he worked at EA as a development director from 2003 to 2009 on sports franchise like Madden NFL and NASCAR. Was later a producer at Microsoft where he worked with Epic on GoW.

Izick

I still have really high expectations for the series. I seem to be in the minority in thinking the third entry was a great game. To be fair, I did play it with the From Ashes, Leviathan and Director's Cut content supplemented.

Even so, after going back and watching the original endings, I don't see what the big deal was. Sure, there were some plot-holes and problems. It was a bit too generic and all-encompassing in terms of quick fixes, but I really don't think a mediocre ending can sour 40+ hours of quality, solid entertainment.

My hopes is they improve the third person combat even more, but they focus on bringing back some of the RPG elements and sci-fi noire atmosphere that was lost in the later entries.

this guy worked for Microsoft before he came and butchered Gears of War with micro-transactions, pathetic map counts, and a horrible plan for the games longevity.

have fun Mass Effect Fans.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Well at least they finally decided what they wanted to do with the game. Hasn't been a good RPG since the first game.

KYZR

GoW:J is mothefucking garbage compared to its predecessor so I have no hope for this.

There isn't nearly as much narrative substance to Judgement in comparison to the main trilogy, ( more often than not this seems to be the case for spin offs) but I'd argue that the pacing is a lot better in Judgement, and the variety of combat seemed to be greater. From a purely gameplay standpoint GoW: Judgement was more fun.

Mass Effect's gameplay has come a long was since the original, but it could still use some polishing. Let's face it, there aren't many third person shooters as slick as Gears.

Mollymauk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Development Director is not a creative position. It's more of a project manager. This may not affect design as much as some are assuming.

Edit: beated :p

There would've been a time when this kind of news would've caused me some concern. Thankfully it doesn't anymore. They could hire Don Mattrick to fully spear head "Mass Effect - We haven't got a clue what we are doing" designs and I would just laugh at the news.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Someone check on EatChildren.

Talk to us buddy, don't do anything silly...

I enjoyed Mass Effect.
I enjoyed Mass Effect 2.
I enjoyed Mass Effect 3.
I own all of the DLC for each of those three games.
I own all of the comics and books.
I watched the awful animu movie.

You think this will phase me in the slightest?

Guys he joined on as a development director (production) not a creative director (design).

No, he was exclusively responsible for everything in Gears of War: Judgement. Especially the worst stuff. And now he's going to be exclusively responsible for everything in Mass Effect!!!

USIGSJ

I enjoyed Mass Effect.
I enjoyed Mass Effect 2.
I enjoyed Mass Effect 3.
I own all of the DLC for each of those three games.
I own all of the comics and books.
I watched the awful animu movie.

You think this will phase me in the slightest?

No, he was exclusively responsible for everything in Gears of War: Judgement. Especially the worst stuff. And now he's going to be exclusively responsible for everything in Mass Effect!!!

Do you have Liara's statue? :p

Don't play gears, but was it really that bad of a downgrade compared to the previous games?

Wasn't that impressed with Gears Judgement but I wish him all the best on a franchise I hold dear. I think we may get an announcement trailer at this years VGAs

element

Chris has jumped around the last couple years spending a good amount of time at EA Tiburon, then going to MS to work in the publishing group (being the MS producer for Gears), then going to Epic to work on the dev side (only there for a year), and now back to EA.

Jarmel

Banned
So what is his job/role anyway? Just making sure production goes smoothly? Whipping out of line developers if they slack off?

Top Bottom