• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity [OT] The Word became flesh and dwelt among us

Helscream

Banned
I feel like the events in the book of revelations are starting to happen.

I tend to be long winded, but in a nutshell if you want to know where the hands sit on the Biblical Eschatological clock. Observe the nation of Israel. Mankind has been in a state of moral entropy since Adam and Eve were banished from Eden. So the more time that elapses, the more wicked the hearts and minds of people become. In turn the worse the general state of the world becomes.

When the nation of Israel begins construction of the Third Temple that is when you will know the end is about to begin.

Cycom

Banned
Welcome, bro. I'm also a Catholic and an educated theologian (master's degree) so if you have any (interesting) questions, feel free to @ me.
Great, thanks 👍🏼

I’m sure I’ll have questions. The more I learn about the one true faith the more I realize that I actually know very little. The history of the Church is fascinating.

mcz117chief

Great, thanks 👍🏼

I’m sure I’ll have questions. The more I learn about the one true faith the more I realize that I actually know very little. The history of the Church is fascinating.
The history of the Church is insane, definitely one of the hardest topics in the uni. Vast majority of people got kicked out of the program either because of languages (Koiné Greek, Latin, Hebrew etc.) or Church history.

Last edited:

JJMC

Neo Member
For a nonbeliever, is there a common collection of works that establishes Catholicism from the very start? The church itself, the necessity of god, what the attributes should be, and why, why monotheism, why Catholicism and not anything else, etc?

mcz117chief

For a nonbeliever, is there a common collection of works that establishes Catholicism from the very start? The church itself, the necessity of god, what the attributes should be, and why, why monotheism, why Catholicism and not anything else, etc?
Genesis, Exodus, the New Testament and then any of the good books written by the Church Fathers or Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas will answer your questions. You will never get "all" the answers but you will get the most vital ones.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned

The Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas is probably the most complete expression of Catholic doctrine. The first few articles answer a lot of these questions but after that it gets really in depth into the finer philosophical points of the nature of God and becomes harder to keep up.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is also available for free online and you can scroll through the table of contents looking up these subjects at your discretion. However, some swear by an older version, such as the Catechism of Trent. I might try to answer your final question if I get time.

Attend Latin Mass in L.A.

The most beautiful thing this side of heaven.

Cycom

Banned
The Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas is probably the most complete expression of Catholic doctrine. The first few articles answer a lot of these questions but after that it gets really in depth into the finer philosophical points of the nature of God and becomes harder to keep up.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is also available for free online and you can scroll through the table of contents looking up these subjects at your discretion. However, some swear by an older version, such as the Catechism of Trent. I might try to answer your final question if I get time.

The most beautiful thing this side of heaven.
Indeed. Latin High Mass, which includes chanting, is simply breathtaking. The respect and veneration are not to be found anywhere else.

We can’t go anywhere else. Many “Catholic” churches these days have have become corrupted by protestantism and the world. It’s very cringeworthy to hear guitar and drums during holy mass. Luckily, though, holy communion remains holy communion, no matter the scandal or heresy caused by the priest.

Chaplain

New resources:

On Hamilton, Criticism, and the Power of Creativity
Hamilton is patriotic in the best sense. It doesn’t belong to the patriotic stream that minimizes or ignores injustice. But neither does it work for those whose clear-eyed vision of previous generations’ sinfulness would prevent them from seeing goodness in the founding worth celebrating. It belongs to the Frederick Douglass and MLK stream of patriotism, whereby the ideals of the founders are not to be thrown away due to their manifest hypocrisies, but become instead the standard by which we judge the founders.
The 8 Stages of Long-Term Pastoral Ministry
While these stages represent one older pastor’s observations, they’re worth pondering even if a few details shift from one stage to another.
So, How Do We Detect Grandstanding?
Grandstanders want to impress others with their moral qualities. We call this the Recognition Desire. Grandstanders try to satisfy that desire by saying something in public moral discourse. We call this public display the Grandstanding Expression.
Despair and Light from the Rubble of Beirut
The horrific explosion wasn’t an isolated incident in an otherwise stable country. Lebanon is in the middle of an economic crisis. The local currency has lost 80 percent of its value. For months, banks have restricted people’s access to their money. The country is also in the middle of a revolution against a corrupt government. There’s a famine in the countryside, major wildfires, and, of course, the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, this explosion has taken out the primary port of a country that desperately depends on imports for survival.
Video: Moral Horror: A Moral Defense of the Bombing of Hiroshima
Today marks the 75th anniversary of the atomic devastation of the Japanese city of Hiroshima, which helped bring about the end of the Second World War. In this episode, Daniel Strand interviews Marc LiVecche about his new book project defending the bombing. Offering a moral defense rooted in just war casuistry, they discuss such issues as sovereign responsibility, the nature of the Japanese regime, consequentialism, and much else. LiVecche defends the Allied demand for unconditional surrender, argues that the bombing met the requirements for proportionality and discrimination, and interrogates proposed alternatives to the bombing. Through it all, they maintain that while the atomic attack was a horror, it was, all things considered, morally right.

Video: 28:19 Give and Take: Spider Silk Points to a Creator
...biomimetics and bioinspiration naturally flow out of a creation model approach to biology. Using designs in nature to inspire engineering only makes sense if these designs arose from an intelligent Mind, whether in this universe or in any of the dimensions of the Spider-Verse.

Video: Transgender Identities, the Church, and Scripture: A Conversation with Preston Sprinkle
How should Christians think about transgender identities? What does science and Scripture show? Join me and Preston Sprinkle for an important conversation about these questions and more.

Video: Would the world be a better place without religion?
Join Guest Speaker Lara Buchanan (RZIM) along with Gareth Black and Gavin Matthews for this exciting webinar exploring the question of whether the world would be better place without religion.

Bolivar687

Banned
Indeed. Latin High Mass, which includes chanting, is simply breathtaking. The respect and veneration are not to be found anywhere else.

We can’t go anywhere else. Many “Catholic” churches these days have have become corrupted by protestantism and the world. It’s very cringeworthy to hear guitar and drums during holy mass. Luckily, though, holy communion remains holy communion, no matter the scandal or heresy caused by the priest.

I still have a lingering affinity for the new mass, because I've pretty much only seen it reverently celebrated all my life. When I got back into the faith, it was a lot of reverent diocesan priests who made me love the liturgy and eventually orthodox doctrine. And I love going to daily mass, where you can share in the simple faith of people who make the temple sacrifice a part of their everyday routine, and the ordinary form is obviously a lot more accessible.

However, it is really hard not to have anxiety about the current status quo of the liturgy once you've immersed yourself the fullness of the Traditional Latin Mass. It's a priest of Jesus Christ in the sanctuary of the temple, ministering to God in the tabernacle with incense, prayers, and offerings like you read in the Kingdom literature of the Old Testament. Even the hosts they use for consecration are different (which can be a bit unsettling to think about). I know some older Catholics who are afraid to lose the active participation element of the new mass, but to me, it's a matter of exterior, gesticular participation vs interior, contemplative participation. And even then, I don't think any exterior act can unite yourself to the sacrifice more than humbly kneeling at the cusp of the sanctuary to reverently receive the body of our Lord from the consecrated hands of his minister.

Praise God for the extroardinary form of Holy Mass and for sending us the holy priests who have kept it alive against all odds and adversity.

Last edited:

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: A skeptic in Narnia - Laura Miller & Michael Ward
Laura Miller loved the Narnia stories as a child, but felt she had been hoodwinked when she discovered their Christian symbolism as an adult skeptic. She engages in a discussion on the enduring appeal of Narnia with leading CS Lewis scholar Michael Ward in this replay of their 2009 dialogue.

Audio Lectures
The John Reed Miller Lectures are named after the longtime Pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Jackson, MS (1952-1968) who started the winter lectures on Reformed Theology that eventually grew into Reformed Theological Seminary. Dr. Miller was an outstanding preacher and leader. In his latter years, after retirement, he would meet with RTS students weekly for lunches and dinners and talk theology and ministry with them. He was a fount of knowledge, experience, history and encouragement. He would offer the gift of John Owen’s Commentary on Hebrews, if the student would agree to read the seven volume set! First Presbyterian Church established and funded the RTS John Reed Miller Lectures in his honor and to promote the biblical theology and practice of Reformed Preaching and Pastoral Ministry that he embodied in his own life and work.
Video: Revelation 1-11 - The Bible from 30,000 Feet
Considered to be one of the most powerful books in Scripture, Revelation is a direct vision from God to the apostle John. It's both a warning to the world of a coming tribulation and a source of hope for believers as we anticipate Jesus' return. The book is filled with prophecies of future judgment, but in it, we find a glimpse of heaven and the glories awaiting Jesus' bride, the church.

Bolivar687

Banned
st__dominic_icon_by_theophilia_dawepb8-fullview.jpg

Today is the feast day of St. Dominic, the founder of the mendicant order that bears his name, and the Patron Saint of astronomers. Legend has it that the rosary as we know it today was given to Dominic through a Marian apparition.

St. Dominic, ora pro nobis.

Cycom

Banned
st__dominic_icon_by_theophilia_dawepb8-fullview.jpg

Today is the feast day of St. Dominic, the founder of the mendicant order that bears his name, and the Patron Saint of astronomers. Legend has it that the rosary as we know it today was given to Dominic through a Marian apparition.

St. Dominic, ora pro nobis.
Cool. My family and I are becoming more devoted Catholics everyday, especially in the face of the persecution that’s beginning to show its cruel face.

I really need to get the ball going with daily rosaries and just be a much better father overall...and a better neighbor, especially to those I loathe. It’s a constant struggle.

St. Dominic, pray for us!

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: War on Campus: Iranian-American vs Cultural Marxism
Adam Mehdi Mahdavi is an Iranian-American college student who has had enough of being inundated with Critical Theory and cultural Marxism on his college campus. He has decided to fight for freedom and to fight back against this "Goliath." Mahdavi shares his story and his experience in this interview.

Survey: Majority of American Christians Don’t Believe the Gospel
Based on age groups, just 20 percent of people age 18 to 29 believe that when they die they will go to heaven only because they have confessed their sins and have accepted Jesus as their savior; 30 percent of those 30 to 49 and 40 percent of adults 50 and older hold that belief. Women were more likely than men (36 percent versus, 30 percent, respectively), and those who have conservative political views were much more likely to hold that belief (52 percent) than were political moderates (28 percent) or liberals (16 percent). More than one-third of whites and blacks (35 percent each) also held this view compared to only one quarter of Hispanics did (25 percent).

Vatican aiding China with Sinicization
“The ruling Communist Party sees the compromise with the Vatican as a step toward eliminating the underground churches where Chinese Catholics who refuse to recognize the party’s authority have worshiped for generations. With the pope now recognizing all bishops and clergy members in the official Catholic churches approved and controlled by the party, the underground church may have no reason to exist. The move is part of a broader push by the government to clamp down on all aspects of society since Xi Jinping took power as the party’s leader in 2012.”

Critical Thinking for Confused Times
Emotions are running high. People are rioting in the streets. Others are afraid of dying from a pandemic. Everyone has a place to state their opinion (or at least memes) on social media. So it’s a ripe time for critical thinking to break down. I’m a philosopher by trade, so please indulge me as I say a few words about the fallacy pandemic. Philosophers are always — or should be — bothered by poor reasoning. We try to offer rational arguments, anticipate criticisms, and bring intellectual clarity to important topics.

How to Play Church
The true church of Jesus Christ is not a religious institution which welcomes everybody. It is the body of Jesus Christ set apart unto God, uniquely married and wedded to the self-same Christ, redeemed by faith. And no one outside of that faith redemption can be a part of it for that is the requirement for the church. And it is our task as a people and a preacher to warn those who have not received Christ, to warn them in love, but to warn them, nonetheless, how they are in danger of the terror of the Lord. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5 verse 11, “Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men.” He says when I stop to think about the coming of the judgment of God, I get busy sharing the gospel. This is our task.

What future do we have if the woke warriors destroy our past?
The modern presumption that we can stand in perfect judgment over history is both malevolent and unfair

Video: August 9th: 1 Samuel 28 & Romans 9
Saul and the woman of Endor. The election of grace and God's formation of his people.

Video: "Holy, Holy, Holy" Isaiah 6:1-8 (8/8/2020)

Video: Acts 18:1-17 - Sunday Morning Youth Service (8/9/20)
"Throughout Scripture the divine vow “I am with you” is made with sovereign confidence, but also in stirring circumstance. Speaking into the fears of exile, God said to the prophet Isaiah, “Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west.” To the apostle Paul who was struggling with uncertainty and weakness, the divine voice encouraged him in a vision: “Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city.” And Jesus even as he anticipated the nearing cross gave his closest followers a promise that remains comforting today: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” The promise of God’s nearness is one that Christians rightfully utter as encouragement and cling to in joy, in fear, and in sorrow, knowing the face and character of the one who is near. When God promises his presence in Scripture it is more than just a promise of proximity and intimacy. There is a purpose for God’s nearness, the pledge of relationship, the promise of community. It is not an empty or superficial presence, having taken on the things humanity itself to draw intimately near. As the Father reminded the prophet Jeremiah so God assures us, the promise of proximity is more profound than we can fathom: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you…Do not be afraid…for I am with you to deliver you” (1:5-7)." (Carattini)

Video: The Truth About Death, Part 1 (8/5/20)

Edited

Last edited:

trikster40

Wow, had a really powerful message in church today about our freedom in Christ: how we shouldn’t use that freedom to indulge ourselves but live by the Spirit.

it’s actually a great commentary on the state of the country today: people are abusing the freedoms they have to indulge in things that only hurt and destroy.

Here’s the passage from Galatians that was with today’s message:

Galatians 5:13-26
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Is it unholy to play violent video games as a Christian?

RZIM's Dr.Vince Vitale answers the question "Is it unholy to play violent video games as a Christian?" at Canada's REBOOT Digital 2020.

Video: Can I Trust the Bible? The Truth about the Old and New Testament Scriptures
Many people assume that the Bible is an old book that has little significance for today and is filled with errors and contradictions. In these messages, gifted scholars and pastors show that such assumptions are wrong. The Bible is the Word of God, and therefore it is trustworthy, authoritative, and without error. What it says is of life-changing importance, and it should not be neglected by anyone.

Video: Peter Hitchens: ‘The media seems to have checked its brains in somewhere and forgotten the ticket’
Columnist Peter Hitchens has criticised the media and opposition parties for the way they scrutinised the government’s handling of coronavirus.

Video: Tactics for Defending the Faith- Greg Koukl
In this seminary you’ll learn specific skills to help you initiate conversations effortlessly; stop challengers in their tracks and turn the tables; and graciously and effectively expose faulty thinking, presenting the truth clearly, cleverly, and persuasively. Are you tired of finding yourself flat-footed and intimidated in conversations about your faith and values? Do you want to increase your confidence and skill in discussions, no matter whom you’re talking to? Then “Tactics” is for you.

Video: How the Church Should Respond to Black Lives Matter | Guest: Samuel Sey | Ep 286
"In the current tensions of our society, blogger and pro-life activist Samuel Sey shares his perspective and advice on how the church should be responding to the movement of Black Lives Matter, addressing racism in context with the Gospel, and how the church should react to government authority. The church cannot accept the ideologies that project the wrong premise with the wrong solution." (8/10/20)

Engaging Faith with Science amid a Pandemic
The conflict view is reinforced by how our society increasingly discusses issues in terms of (apparent) opposites. It is fueled by the loudest voices which come from the extremes. On the one hand are the ‘New Atheists’ such as Richard Dawkins. On the other hand are the ‘Creationists’, wedded to a literalistic seven-day creation and (usually) an earth only a few thousand years old. But the conflict model is much too simplistic, and its inevitability much exaggerated.

Edited

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i play multiplayer shooters all the time, very much need them in my life alongside a steady diet of philosophy and science

seems like a healthy outlet in moderation, feel the same way about books, music, movies

tend to interrelate my exercise and game playing so that one never pulls further ahead than the other since for me the test of iron makes the man

(usually crack the bible before bed, or something outta this thread)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
In this seminary you’ll learn specific skills to help you initiate conversations effortlessly; stop challengers in their tracks and turn the tables; and graciously and effectively expose faulty thinking, presenting the truth clearly, cleverly, and persuasively. Are you tired of finding yourself flat-footed and intimidated in conversations about your faith and values? Do you want to increase your confidence and skill in discussions, no matter whom you’re talking to? Then “Tactics” is for you.
i like "The Witch Test" that has been proposed by some blogging Christians i follow. it seems quite effective at disarming bad faith arguments at the start:

be4fa30327b97b07c9b967cbd6721e3a931cf77b32db97f73eef9cb359f483f5_1.jpg

The response to this is to say:

Proclaim that Jesus is the Christ, and God has raised Him from the dead!

The resulting discussion can go a number of different ways. It’s called the “Witch Test” because a witch will be unable to proclaim the divinity of Christ. This isn’t to say it always identifies real honest-to-goodness witches, but it is useful.

Recently I’ve had some people push back on the use of this, attempting to say it is some sort of logical fallacy. It is not. It is, in fact, completely logical, but much more importantly, it is strategically sound. I’m writing this blog post partially as a shorthand for future objections I know will come from some people on “my side” (the Optimate side, or our allies on “the right”).

The Logic of the Witch Test

Very simply, the smug fellow is executing a logical fallacy in evoking Christ or any part of the Bible while disbelieving it.

He’s arguing from a premise he “knows” to be false. You cannot infer truth from a false premise. This is logic 101 (which I say in jest – if you actually took logic 101 at a university you might totally miss this point). Logic is a process, so if you know the inputs are false, the outputs cannot be said to be true, regardless of the soundness of the inference.

The which test simply jumps over any argument about what the bible really says and jumps straight to the premises that the “witch” is arguing from. If the accuser proclaims the divinity of Christ, only then can you consider a dialectical argument about theology, ethics, or any part of Christian-derived morality (which, if we are honest, is pretty much the whole of morality in the West).

To put it this way, here’s an argument from a false premise:

Zebras are blue.

Michelle is a Zebra.

Therefore, Michelle is blue.

The conclusion is false because the first premise is false, not because of a flaw in the inference. The witch will say:

Christ said you should be nice or something.

You are a christian.

Therefore, you should be nice or something.

If he doesn’t believe in Christ, the first premise is, from his perspective false. Either Christ didn’t exist, or else he has no moral authority, which means the conclusion cannot be said to be true. He himself doesn’t believe it. You cannot argue both for and against an authority.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so the more i think on things, the more i feel like perhaps i am a Born Again Redpiller. meaning that my rediscovering of my Christian faith has coincided with a political awakening. political and cultural forces have gotten so extreme that the foundations of my life are being attacked. this has led me to question many things. switching from unthinking lifelong support of Democrats to voting Republican and taking Conservative values seriously for the first time in my life has had me realizing so many things i had previously dismissed.

so it's interesting to take another look at, say, the breakup of the mom-dad nuclear family, and see the consequences playing out daily in a clownish parody of society. to say, you know what, maybe those "crazy evangelicals" i always heard about from the liberal media were onto something with that whole thing. the Sexual Revolution of the 1960s and 1970s freed a lot of people, true, but it also embedded a lot of problems, shattered millions of families, left children to be raised not by two parents working together but by a poorly designed public education system, by the sensationalized politically craven media, by strangers.

the 1960s and 70s also saw a rise in Occult activity. both in pop culture and in ritualized murders around the world. polygamy and other vices are embraced by the Satanist church, and it is silly to think this kind of culture would have no impact on the generations it created. for what it is worth, i don't mind Satanic culture in itself, but these children had no positive example of Christianity to compare it to. it was around this time that the battle over abortion reached a peak, and the liberal media characterized the entire Pro Life argument as "evangelical extremism". from this point on the representation of Christianity has been a Satanic perversion.

what are the reasons given for abortion? "to be able to have a career" (sacrifice your child for your job) or "to go to college" (sacrifice your child for school) or to "have a good time" (sacrifice your child to drink and screw around/play videogames/consume media). aborted lives are sacrifices for these worldly pleasures. these are all selfish reasons, and they are used to justify millions of deaths a year (which greatly disproportionately affect POCs). i always find it funny when Eco activists claim to not want to have kids for moral reasons, indulging their consumption habits rather than teaching a new generation to do better. it is easier, after all, and Sloth is another Satanic virtue. this is because we live in a Satanic culture. it is Satanic not in the "they worship Lucifer and eat babies" sense, it is Satanic in the "all Christian vices are inverted into virtues" sense. so killing is GOOD not bad. honor the mother and father, fuck that, tell the cocksuckers off. monogamy is bad. sobriety is bad. all these are sins celebrated as virtues. we now have a culture where millions of lives are ended a year so that people can have fun (and blog about it!). "Vote Blue No Matter Who" has been a rallying cry for 40 years, because "the supreme court is so important". why is it important? abortion.

thus i find it easy to call this a Secular Death Cult, because killing the unborn has been one of the main goals since the start. feminism first arrived around the time of The Pill, and the fantasy of consequence-free sex had "liberated" people from the shackles of biology. abortion is just the brutal genocidal end result of that pleasure-based policy. free sex means the Patriarchal system founded upon Adam and the Biblical figures was no longer required, man and women no longer cooperators but rivals, since one is not dependent on the other, they can just fuck off and go see other people any time they want. the Darwin selector of the fittest being people who could Make It Work became overrun and stopped working entirely, now you had generations raised by generations who had just skipped out on their families because it was too hard. but at that point we kind of start talking Divorce and it goes back to King Henry VIII. i like the guy's music, but not so much his policies :messenger_winking_tongue:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
a bit political but i like this blog re: the attempt by liberals to portray Biden as a "devout Catholic"

wAFSzM1.png

This is a theological shell game. Yes, in onotlogical terms, Biden retains the indelible seal on his soul conferred at baptism. But giving a theological answer to a political question ignores the proper context.

In this case, the context is an ostensibly democratic election wherein citizens will vote for a candidate to represent them. Thus the whole point of CNN telling Catholics that Biden is one of them is to convince them he'll advance their interests.

Now, all that's necessary to show the absurdity of that claim is to point out that under Biden's tenure as VP, the Little Sisters of the Poor were slapped with the HHS mandate that would have obliged them to pay for gravely evil contraceptives--had Trump not intervened, that is.

It's no use arguing that Biden was powerless to stop the HHS mandate or that his views have since changed. Just last month, he promised to restore the mandate in grave violation of Church teaching.

That, and Biden's support for abortion, are sound reasons for him to be barred from reception of the Eucharist--which sacrament Catholic priests and bishops have indeed denied him on more than one occasion.

And since he's under minor excommunication until he publicly reverses his heretical positions and makes a valid confession, it's hard to see how Biden could have kept the Third Precept of the Catholic Church.

Meaning that, while he retains the effects of baptism and confirmation, Biden remains in grave and persistent error that places him outside of full communion with the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
so the more i think on things, the more i feel like perhaps i am a Born Again Redpiller. meaning that my rediscovering of my Christian faith has coincided with a political awakening. political and cultural forces have gotten so extreme that the foundations of my life are being attacked. this has led me to question many things. switching from unthinking lifelong support of Democrats to voting Republican and taking Conservative values seriously for the first time in my life has had me realizing so many things i had previously dismissed.

so it's interesting to take another look at, say, the breakup of the mom-dad nuclear family, and see the consequences playing out daily in a clownish parody of society. to say, you know what, maybe those "crazy evangelicals" i always heard about from the liberal media were onto something with that whole thing. the Sexual Revolution of the 1960s and 1970s freed a lot of people, true, but it also embedded a lot of problems, shattered millions of families, left children to be raised not by two parents working together but by a poorly designed public education system, by the sensationalized politically craven media, by strangers.

the 1960s and 70s also saw a rise in Occult activity. both in pop culture and in ritualized murders around the world. polygamy and other vices are embraced by the Satanist church, and it is silly to think this kind of culture would have no impact on the generations it created. for what it is worth, i don't mind Satanic culture in itself, but these children had no positive example of Christianity to compare it to. it was around this time that the battle over abortion reached a peak, and the liberal media characterized the entire Pro Life argument as "evangelical extremism". from this point on the representation of Christianity has been a Satanic perversion.

what are the reasons given for abortion? "to be able to have a career" (sacrifice your child for your job) or "to go to college" (sacrifice your child for school) or to "have a good time" (sacrifice your child to drink and screw around/play videogames/consume media). aborted lives are sacrifices for these worldly pleasures. these are all selfish reasons, and they are used to justify millions of deaths a year (which greatly disproportionately affect POCs). i always find it funny when Eco activists claim to not want to have kids for moral reasons, indulging their consumption habits rather than teaching a new generation to do better. it is easier, after all, and Sloth is another Satanic virtue. this is because we live in a Satanic culture. it is Satanic not in the "they worship Lucifer and eat babies" sense, it is Satanic in the "all Christian vices are inverted into virtues" sense. so killing is GOOD not bad. honor the mother and father, fuck that, tell the cocksuckers off. monogamy is bad. sobriety is bad. all these are sins celebrated as virtues. we now have a culture where millions of lives are ended a year so that people can have fun (and blog about it!). "Vote Blue No Matter Who" has been a rallying cry for 40 years, because "the supreme court is so important". why is it important? abortion.

thus i find it easy to call this a Secular Death Cult, because killing the unborn has been one of the main goals since the start. feminism first arrived around the time of The Pill, and the fantasy of consequence-free sex had "liberated" people from the shackles of biology. abortion is just the brutal genocidal end result of that pleasure-based policy. free sex means the Patriarchal system founded upon Adam and the Biblical figures was no longer required, man and women no longer cooperators but rivals, since one is not dependent on the other, they can just fuck off and go see other people any time they want. the Darwin selector of the fittest being people who could Make It Work became overrun and stopped working entirely, now you had generations raised by generations who had just skipped out on their families because it was too hard. but at that point we kind of start talking Divorce and it goes back to King Henry VIII. i like the guy's music, but not so much his policies :messenger_winking_tongue:

Thanks for putting this all down. I have a close friend who recently went through a similar path and had some realizations about what they were taught growing up. He was raised by a religious mom, rejected it, but now pursues his faith in Christ on the regular. It's probably better than him getting sucked into the void of conspiracies because to be quite honest that's the direction he was headed before he had a conversion moment. I think a lot of us are going through that in some respect, trying to puzzle out how the heck we got here and reevaluating what we have been told in the past.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this past year has gotten me to reconsider a lot of my former positions. abortion is the big one right now. unfortunately it is hard to talk about the subject at all. organized religion seems to be one remaining safe space to hold the opinion that all human life is valuable.

TIL that Catholic priests have publicly refused to give Biden communion based on his abortion stance

Biden has since changed his abortion stances and today champions almost unlimited abortion access as a presidential candidate, prompting a priest to deny Holy Communion to Biden during mass at a Catholic church in South Carolina in October 2019. (RELATED: Here’s How Joe Biden Has Evolved On Abortion As He Attempts To Become President)

“Sadly, this past Sunday, I had to refuse Holy Communion to former Vice President Joe Biden,” Father Robert E. More told the Morning News. “Holy Communion signifies we are one with God, each other and the Church. Our actions should reflect that. Any public figure who advocates for abortion places himself or herself outside of Church teaching.”

The former Vice President later refused to discuss the incident, telling MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell: “I’m not going to discuss that, that’s my personal life and I’m not going to get into that at all.”

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
When my thoughts return to the same issue, week after week, I pray a lot as a means of "laying out of the fleece" to see if the strong emotions are coming from my own ego, my own desire to do something Very Important™, etc. God is faithful to help us see the difference when we pray. "...how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him."

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Racism, white supremacy & Black Lives Matter - George Yancey & Drew Hart
Is the approach and ideology of Black Lives Matter and anti-racism advocates such as Robin DiAngelo, a help or a hindrance in combating racism in the USA?

Video: Revelation 12-22 - The Bible from 30,000 Feet
In the second half of Revelation, we read some of the most thrilling text in the entire Bible, getting a preview of a future judgment, Jesus' thousand-year reign on earth, the eventual fate of unbelievers, and the church's eternal destination in the new heaven and earth. As we conclude our journey at 30,000 feet over the Scriptures, we discover how the history of the world culminates as we look to Jesus in all His splendid glory.

Video: Andy Bannister Tom Wright Interview
"In an interview originally recorded for an article in Christianity Today, Andy Bannister asked Tom Wright [former chaplain and Bishop of Durham in the Church of England] about an appropriate Christian response to the Covid-19 pandemic."

Puritan resources for biblical counseling
The works of the Puritans are a rich resource for biblical counselors because: The Puritans were committed to the functional authority of the Scripture. For them it was the comprehensive manual for dealing with all problems of the heart. The Puritans developed a sophisticated and sensitive system of diagnosis for personal problems, distinguishing a variety of physical, spiritual, tempermental and demonic causes. The Puritans developed a remarkable balance in their treatment because they were not invested in any one ‘personality theory’ other than biblical teaching about the heart. The Puritans were realistic about difficulties of the Christian life, especially conflicts with remaining, indwelling sin. The Puritans looked not just at behavior but at underlying root motives and desires. Man is a worshipper; all problems grow out of ‘sinful imagination’ or idol manufacturing. The Puritans considered the essential spiritual remedy to be belief in the gospel, used in both repentance and the development of proper self-understanding.
Wokeness: old religion in a new bottle
We are living in the age of the ad hominem. The fundamental way to answer a claim is to say something about the person who said it. Whether it’s a tu quoque, or an abusive ad hominem, or poisoning the well – the ad hominem is a whole genus of different species of fallacy. How do we know others are wrong? They are wrong because some bad people have said it too. Bari Weiss [the former New York Times op-ed editor] must be wrong [about the illiberal environment at the Times], because Ted Cruz forwarded her tweet. That’s a wonderful ad hominem – guilt by association. It’s not about the content of what is said, it’s about the people who said it.
The Art of Knowing God: Remembering J.I. Packer
For me, Packer’s writings are marked by an enthusiasm to love people by sharing truth. He listened to others’ ideas to the point of letting his own be shaken and transformed. He remained steadfast in the truth, far from the platitudinal certainty of lazy religion(lessness) and lived in a curious and humble posture toward God and others. The Church was born from this posture of faith after Christ’s resurrection. At its heart the Church has had to become expert at learning unity in conflict not in spite of, but precisely through, the person of Jesus Christ who is the way, the truth and the life. To me, Packer is the one figure in 21st-century theology who embodied those three aspects of who Jesus was and of the God he revealed to us.
What is the Christian response to cut-and-paste humans?
The philosopher Julian Savulescu says we simply must enhance ourselves because to willingly accept limitation when something could have been done, is just the other side of the coin of deliberately inflicting disability on ourselves or on our children. He says we have significant moral reason to select the best children through the screening of embryos and children in the womb, discarding or aborting as required.
Where is God in suffering? For me,it’s personal
Wondering why a loving God might allow suffering, or, for that matter, where he is while we suffer, are not questions that any of us can dissect with sterilised instruments in a clean laboratory removed from outside influence or bias or personal pain. Because, even as we ask these questions, we live here—in this world—where brutal, senseless, tragic things happen to people we love. My book Where is God in All The Suffering? is intended to be a reflection from the perspective of Christian faith in the midst of this dark world on why there might be such suffering in this world if God is loving, and how God—if he exists at all—interacts with people who are in pain.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Reading Everyman’s Talmud by Abraham Cohen on the concept of justice and mercy. It is natural to look at the world and think “why does God allow so much evil?“ Yet that fact is itself an act of mercy, for swift and harsh judgement I’m tempered by mercy would end existence all together.

From pages 17-18:

If compassion was the deciding cause of Creation, it’s victory over stern justice is the reason of the world’s continuance in the face of wickedness. “There were ten generations from Adam to Noah, to make known how long-suffering God is, seeing all that these generations continued to provoke Him before He brought upon them the waters of the flood.”

When Abraham addresses his plea to God, “Shall not the Judge of all the earth do justly?” the meaning of his words was: “If You desire the world to continue there cannot be strict justice; if You insist on strict justice, the world cannot endure”.

The Hebrew expression for divine forbearance is not erech af but erech apayim, the second word having a dual form. This was explained as denoting that God is not long-suffering with the righteous only but equally with the wicked. The Bible relates that when God revealed his attributes to Moses, he “made haste and bowed his head toward the earth and worshipped”. To the question, What overwhelmed him so much? the answer is given, “The recognition of the Divine forbearance”.

The apparent victory of evil over good in the world was understood as the manifestation of His mercy. “Moses describes God as ‘great, mighty, and terrible” Jeremiah referred to Him only as “the great and mighty God”, because, said he, where are His terrible acts, seeing that heathens dance in His temple? Daniel referred to Him only as “the great and terrible God” because, said he, where are His mighty acts, seeing that heathens enslave His children? Then came the men of the Great Assembly and restored all the attributes for they said: “On the contrary, this is the greatest manifestation of His might that He subdued His anger and shows long-suffering with the wicked; and it is likewise the manifestation of His terrible acts, without which how could a single nation be allowed to continue in existence.”

Last edited:

Chaplain

New resources:

Video: 8/16/20 - One plus one plus one equals one? (John 14:1-18)

"The Trinity is a Christian doctrine that has been worked out since Jesus spoke these words, and it continues to be worked out. It is almost impossible for a modern-day Christian to imagine how strange the concept of the Trinity would be to a contemporary of Jesus. Scripture has no doctrine of the Trinity but scripture bears witness to a God who demands to be understood in a Trinitarian manner. At first glance, only two scriptures describe a Trinitarian God. (The other is 2 Corinthians 13:13). But the New Testament bears witness to an intimate connection and divine activity between Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and links them together as part of a greater whole." (Theologian Alister McGrath)

Video: The Perfect Penitent by C.S. Lewis Doodle (BBC Talk 9, Mere Christianity, Bk 2, Chapter 4)
How unexpected would it be if a criminal actually admitted his crimes and his motive, rather than covering his guilt with proud looks and defiant silence? C.S. Lewis looks at repentance – only a bad person needs it, but only a good person can do it – and also looks at the Perfect Penitent, Jesus Christ

Video: The Pagan City, the Christian City, and the Secular City | Steven Smith

"Standard depictions of the Culture Wars as a conflict between “secular” and “religious” constituencies resonate with an entrenched historical paradigm, interpreting Western history as having advanced in stages, from classical paganism to Christendom to modern secularism. But observers find these “secular vs. religious” depictions inadequate in accounting for the manifestly religious attitudes, rhetoric, and actions on both sides of the cultural divide."

French philosopher decries corona ‘madness’

"A life in which one accepts, with enthusiasm or resignation, the transformation of the welfare state into the surveillance state, with health replacing security, a life in which one consents to this slippery slope: no longer the old social contract (where you cede a bit of your individual will to gain the general will) but a new life contract (where you abdicate a little, or a lot, of your core freedoms, in return for an antivirus guarantee, an ‘immunity passport,’ a ‘risk-free certificate,’ or a new kind of get-out-of-jail-free card, one that lets you transfer to another cell)." (Atheist philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy, 8/13/20)

Video: Live Update | Will John MacArthur Obey The California Court of Appeal Ruling Today?

"In a late-night ruling on Saturday, the California Court of Appeal set aside a lower court order that would have allowed indoor church services to take place at John MacArthur's Grace Community Church in Sun Valley. "The reason immediate relief was required is because tomorrow morning Grace Community Church and its pastor, John MacArthur, intends to go forward with such religious services," the court wrote." (8/16/20)

Edited

Last edited:

Chaplain

New Resources

A Beginners Guide to the Argument from Consciousness
What exactly is human consciousness? Consciousness is hard to define. Consciousness is the reason for the first-person perspective and the inner narrative in your head. Consciousness is why you integrate everything at the coffee shop into a single experience: the aroma, the screaming, the music. As philosophy Professor Thomas Nagel puts it, to be conscious is for there to be something “that it is like to be us”. In philosophical terms, qualia refer to “what something is like”. Let’s return to the coffee shop again. There is nothing quite like the smell of a rich Guatemalan blend. But if someone asked you to describe the smell of coffee, how would you respond?

A Protestant Defense of the Common Good
The Puritan pastor and theologian Richard Baxter (1615–1691) takes this Pauline directive as the basis for an extended treatment of the prudential concerns that complicate this universal calling. In How to Do Good to Many, Baxter writes that “to do good to all is all men’s duty.” This promotion of the common good of all of humanity applies particularly to Christians because they have been brought to life again and equipped to do good works and to glorify God in those good works. Even as all human beings are part of the human community and have corresponding moral obligations, Christians have especially been enabled by God to make such goods manifest. Speaking of the common good, he writes, “All men should do it: true Christians can do it, through grace, and must do it, and will do it. A good man is a common good.” Picking up on the Pauline imagery of a communal “body,” Baxter observes: “Every grace tends to well-doing and to the good of the whole body, for which each single member is made.” Each individual person has something unique to contribute to the common good of the various communities to which he or she belongs.

Video: Overcoming Challenges and Facing the Unknowns
A discussion of issues related to discipleship: Ewa Pieszka with the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students, pastor Larry Anderson, Josef Pavliňák of Integrity Life, Jay Eastman of Mission to the World, and Greg Ogden from the Global Discipleship Initiative.

Video: Jordan Peterson Animation Biblical Series Lecture 1 Part 2 - 2020
Ever wondered why we dream, or where thoughts come from? Dr. Peterson explores these questions and explains how the Biblical texts may be the best place for us to find the answer.

Video: Why is it hard to give things up for Christ?
RZIM's Dr.Vince Vitale answer the question "Why is it hard to give things up for Christ?" at Canada's REBOOT Digital 2020.

Video: Greek Manuscripts of the New Testament
How good are the Greek manuscripts of the New Testament? Dan Wallace and Mike Licona discuss. Topics include the number of Ancient Greek New Testament manuscripts, the oldest Greek New Testament manuscripts, the Textus Receptus, and much more.

Video: From Atheist to Christian at Yale - Dr. Paul Lim
“More often than not people’s problems with Christianity don’t have to do with intellectual hang-ups but with the stories of hurt, stories of rejection, stories of people who are supposed to embody the gospel in a compelling and endearing way, they end up doing the opposite.” (Dr. Paul C.H. Lim, historian of Reformation- and post-Reformation Europe)

Video: The Charlie Kirk Show: Pastor John MacArthur Stared Down Los Angeles And Won
"John MacArthur, pastor of Grace Community Church and host of "Grace to You" joins The Charlie Kirk Show to share breaking news on his church's unexpected victory against Los Angeles County. After his church had defied county orders and remained open to in person gatherings, a judge has now ruled in the church's favor and will allow Grace Community to continue holding services. The good news comes as Pastor reflects on how we even got to this point in our society in the first place. Packed with timeless wisdom more relevant than ever and spoken directly to the heart of this generation, this is a can't miss episode from a living legend."

Video: Maxwell’s Angel: The Physics of Design in Molecular Machines | Paul D. Ashby
"Many have used the information content in DNA and proteins to argue that a designer is the best explanation for the existence of the fantastic biomolecular machines of life that are observed in nature. Such information can readily be quantified using the tools of information theory developed for digital communications. When considering the role of design in determining machine shape and specifying the numerous protein-protein interactions, quantitative measures are lacking."

Edited

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the new audio mullet is pretty great. they have some really good answers to liberal responses to the Pro Life stance. also the episode is called "Milk the Worm" but don't be scared, that is just an Earthworm Jim reference ;-)

Chaplain

Chaplain Chaplain Every time I feel discouraged with life, or disgusted with current events, I get a little notification that this thread has been bumped. I know better than to assume complete randomness. This thread has done wonders for my faith, and my sanity. What you post here is appreciated. However small it might seem, it's always a bright spot in my day.

You're welcome, bro! I am thankful that you are blessed and encouraged in the midst of this difficult year. ^_^

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Mark Regnerus | The Future of Christian Marriage
Mark joins Collin Hansen on Gospelbound to discuss the “monumental, consequential, and subtle” shift in Christian marriage and many more questions.

Video: Historian Niall Ferguson | Compliance Culture
Niall Ferguson outlines the compliance issue that has arisen over the past few decades, as highly regulated institutions have left ethics at the door in favour of profits, resulting in significant growth in public cynicism.

Video: By What Standard? God's World...God's Rules
It is time for Bible-believing Christians to stand up and say to those who are promoting such agendas, “Whose standard of justice is being followed? God’s, or this world’s? To what authority are we submitting? The Holy Scriptures, or worldly ideologies?”

James I. Packer: Seeing is believing
Packer used to say that his conversion had not been spectacular. The preacher showed him at the end of the sermon that, to be able to attend the party, he had to come to Christ.
The Challenge of Marxism
“Anti-Marxist liberals are about to find themselves in much the same situation that has characterized conservatives, nationalists, and Christians for some time now: They are about to find themselves in the opposition.”

Bolivar687

Banned
Real Clear Science says it's safe to return to mass and receive Communion:

Indeed, for Catholics, the Mass and above all the Eucharist are central to the Christian life. In a time like this, it is even more important that the faithful be able to come to Church and receive Holy Communion.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just listened to my first Babylon Bee podcast. wow! i have heard Ethan on other podcasts before, but i this was really something else. it made me feel inspired, and i started researching local churches. once this lockdown eases up and places open up, i am going to start attending. i want to find community, to fight back against the modern alienation. they talk a lot about that in the most recent episode. it has a good interview with Phil Johnson of Grace Community Church. they are currently being targeted by LA for a fine of $20k for breaking the law and holding service. they talk about the value of being there in person, and about how alienating the whole Corona restrictions are. it is inspiring to see the church fight back in protest of the government shutdown orders, by peacefully holding service. really exciting to see the church on the front line of this issue, and to realize that they have been in the same place many, many times before.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
just listened to my first Babylon Bee podcast. wow! i have heard Ethan on other podcasts before, but i this was really something else. it made me feel inspired, and i started researching local churches. once this lockdown eases up and places open up, i am going to start attending. i want to find community, to fight back against the modern alienation. they talk a lot about that in the most recent episode. it has a good interview with Phil Johnson of Grace Community Church. they are currently being targeted by LA for a fine of $20k for breaking the law and holding service. they talk about the value of being there in person, and about how alienating the whole Corona restrictions are. it is inspiring to see the church fight back in protest of the government shutdown orders, by peacefully holding service. really exciting to see the church on the front line of this issue, and to realize that they have been in the same place many, many times before.

Obligatory shameless plug:

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Some fun:

https://ergofabulous.org/luther/?

Martin Luther insulter

Luther's Insults Explained
This site is meant entirely in good humor. Just as the Shakespearean Insulter was meant in good humor and not as a judgment upon the bard, so this insult generator presents some of Luther's more crass words in good humor and not as a judgment upon the reformer. That said...

I, a Lutheran myself, neither approve of nor condone Luther's insults as appropriate for modern theological discourse, nor most modern discourse for that matter. Luther was a product of his time. Some of his insults are inexcusable; a few are so crass as to make me reluctant to put them on this site (e.g. those to do with whoredom). However, when one reads his works, it becomes clear that these insults, a common rhetorical device in the polemical literature of the sixteenth century, were spoken in hopes of defending the pure faith against impure doctrine and guiding the church of his day back into the faith of the Church.

As I have followed commentaries about this website, I have noticed people using these quotes to condemn Lutheranism. It should be known that the Lutheran tradition does not accept most of Luther's works as doctrine, though it does embrace much of his theology. Only three documents written by the reformer are explicitly part of the Lutheran doctrine, compiled in the Book of Concord, and only one of these documents is universally accepted among Lutherans, namely Luther's Small Catechism. Moreover, Lutherans explicitly reject some of the reformer's ideas. For example, Luther's anti-Semitic writings have been rejected by most in the Lutheran tradition, and we continually seek forgiveness and reconciliation with our Jewish brothers and sisters for what Luther said and the effects it had on the world.

To imagine that modern Lutheranism is the sum total of Martin Luther's output is to misconstrue the Lutheran tradition, which was composed of many more voices even in its infancy. Likewise, to imagine Luther's crass words are the sum total of the reformer is to misconstrue Luther, for he had many beautiful thoughts as well. As Martin would say, he was simul justus et peccator.

In Luther's Words
In order to obtain a proper appreciation for and understanding of Luther's insults, they must be read in context. For those who do not have the time or interest to read Luther's works, here is a brief explanation of Luther's insults by the theologian himself.

When asked to retract his works in Luther at the Diet of Worms, Luther divided his works into three categories, 1) ones where he discussed religious faith and morals simply and evangelically, 2) ones where he attacked the papacy and the affairs of the papists that have laid waste to the Christian world, and 3) ones against some private individuals. Of this last group, as holds true when looking at which works hold the most or the worst insults, Luther says the following:

I have written a third sort of book against some private and (as they say) distinguished individuals - those, namely, who strive to preserve the Roman tyranny and to destroy the godliness taught by me. Against these I confess I have been more violent than my religion or profession demands. But then, I do not set myself up as a saint; neither am I disputing about my life, but about the teaching of Christ. It is not proper for me to retract these works, because by this retraction it would again happen that tyranny and godlessness would, with my patronage, rule and rage among the people of God more violently than ever before.(Luther at the Diet of Worms, pg. 110-111 of Luther's Works, Vol. 32)
From this short excerpt, it is clear that Luther felt he was using the rhetorical device of insults - violence, as he calls them - in service of the defense of pure doctrine and against tyranny and godlessness.

A Note on the Insults Themselves
Realizing the insults are extremely contextual, it must be recognized that all the insults on this site have been taken out of context. Considering their original context, including the work in which they are found and the socio-political context of sixteenth century Germany where insulting was a norm, is vital for understanding both their meaning and Luther's vehemence. For example, a few of the insults found on this site are said in complete sarcasm in their original context. A couple are Luther quoting insults that had been hurled him or written in direct response to such insults. Others are said amidst tender words of guidance, trying to bring someone back to the pure faith while showing them what their errors have done to Christendom. A number are said against those who, as Luther saw it, were turning the Church into the Devil's whorehouse. For one to judge Luther based on any insult, one must first read the insult in context and determine why Luther was using the insult.

The original wording of the insultes was maintained as much as possible. However, the following changes were made:

1. Third person language has been changed to second person singular or plural.
  2. Most gender specific words have been made gender neutral.
  3. Most references to people of the sixteenth century, including the papacy and the Jews, has been removed.
  4. Other modifications were made if necessary to fit a general audience.

Thurible

EDIT: I wrote a response about the martin luther insulter by giving a fun fact that St. Thomas More actually wrote a letter about Martin Luther in an insulting fashion that related to Luther's problems with constipation. But I have since decided to delete it because I feel like it is a tad mean spirited excerpt to include in a thread about Christian love and brotherhood.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

EDIT: I wrote a response about the martin luther insulter by giving a fun fact that St. Thomas More actually wrote a letter about Martin Luther in an insulting fashion that related to Luther's problems with constipation. But I have since decided to delete it because I feel like it is a tad mean spirited excerpt to include in a thread about Christian love and brotherhood.

i was hesitant as well. The culture is so hostile to Christianity, I don’t want to feed into that in any way.

I posted it because the creator of the site is a Lutheran, and wrote a nice summary of its intent, which I included in a spoiler tag.

Luther also has some good poop based zingers. ;)

Last edited:

Chaplain

New Resources

Video: Biblical History: Fact or Fancy? - Dr. Steven Collins

"Dr. Steven Collins serves as the dean of the College of Archaeology at Veritas International University and a consulting research professor at Trinity Southwest University. He is also the director of the Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project in Jordan, which is believed to be the location of Sodom. In his teaching "Biblical History: Fact or Fancy?" Dr. Collins explains the importance of biblical reliability and history as we live by biblical principles in a world that has largely failed to embrace the Bible as truth. "

Video: A Protestant Talks With a Coptic Priest

"The Egyptian Coptic Orthodox Church feels pretty foreign to Westerners from a distance, but up close there're a lot of familiar things about it. "

Video: What the Bible Actually Says about God’s Will

"What does the Bible actually teach about how God speaks? Should we seek His "hidden" will? Sean describes a biblical model for decision making. "

Video: Communicating the Gospel Conclusively: Part 1

The Character of the Evangelist and Authenticity (67 minutes)

Video: Communicating the Gospel Conclusively: Part 2

The Character of the Evangelist and the Love of God (45 minutes)

Video: Communicating Convincingly Part 1

By All Means; the Convincing Nature of an Integrating Faith (62 minutes)

Video: Communicating Convincingly Part 2

Getting Past Watchful Dragons, the Use of Story in Evangelism (63 minutes)

Video: Communicating the Gospel Creatively Part 1

The Apologist Addresses the Big Questions, Part I, Atheism, Materialism, Agnosticism, and the Religions of the World (54 minutes)

Video: Communicating the Gospel Creatively Part 2

The Apologist Addresses the Big Questions, Part II, Miracles, the Incarnation, the Exclusive Claims for Christ, and the Problem of Evil (58 minutes)

Edited

Last edited:

Chaplain

More Resources:

Equip yourself and grow in your understanding of the inspiration and authority of the Bible from leading Bible scholar and dynamic teacher Darrell Bock from Dallas Theological Seminary, along with Old Testament expert Scott Redd, and Christian apologist Art Lindsley in this series of videos focused on God’s powerful Word. The videos, recorded at a C.S. Lewis Institute conference entitled, “Building Your Life on Truth” are sure to give you a renewed confidence in the power of the Scriptures and strengthen your faith in Jesus Christ.

Video: Part 1 How the Gospels Work: The Inspiration of the Gospels with Darrell Bock​

Video: Part 2 Minding the Gap: The Reliability of the Gospels with Darrell Bock​

Video: Part 3 Jesus' Bible: The Authority of the Old Testament with Scott Redd​

Video: Part 4 The Inerrancy of the Bible: Why It's Still an Important Truth with Art Lindsley​

Video: Part 5 The Missing Gospels: Responding to Magazines, Movies and Media with Darrell Bock​

Video: God’s Great Joy in Redemption (8/16/20)

Sin is rebellion against the goodness of the Father and the law of the Father. Sin is more than the absence of a relationship with God. This boy had no relationship with God, that’s true; but sin is far more than the absence of a relationship. It is disdain for God’s person. It is disdain for God’s rule. It is disdain for God’s authority. It is disdain for God’s will. It disdain for even God’s blessings. Sin is turning against God, shunning all responsibility and all accountability. It is to deny God any place, to hate Him, to wish Him dead rather than love Him. It is to dishonor Him. It is to take all of His loving gifts and life and squander them for nothing but evil desires. It is to run as far from God as you can run. It is to waste your life in self-indulgent dissipation, unrestrained lust, shunning all God’s goodness and even gospel opportunity. Sin is reckless evil. It is selfish indulgence, and it brings destitution and death.

Audio: EP # 102 | Black Lives Matter?

"In this episode of the Just Thinking Podcast, Darrell and Virgil (“Omaha”) take an in-depth look at the organization known as Black Lives Matter—and the Marxist worldview that fuels it—against the truth of the Word of God. Grab a notepad, a pen, and pack a lunch, because this episode is 2 1/2 hours of unfiltered truth about the ungodly and violent entity known as Black Lives Matter." (August 19, 2020)

Edited

Last edited:

showernota

Wow, I just found this thread and its awesome. I'm somewhat of a lapsed Christian, but current events have been leading me back. I'll be going back through this thread, but wanted to share the video series from Chuck Missler I've been going through.

I'm not very familiar with who he was, but it's been incredibly interesting listening to what he says. Some of it comes across a little kooky, coming from my non-denominational/Baptist background, but its getting back to reading the Scripture at least.

Chaplain

I'm not very familiar with who he was, but it's been incredibly interesting listening to what he says.

Welcome to the thread, bro!

Here is some helpful info about Missler: Tribute: Dr Chuck Missler ‘Jack of all trades, master of one’

Chuck enjoyed a 30-year long career in technology and business and often spoke at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, before founding his ministry Koinonia House and making his hobby of Bible teaching a full-time venture. He was not universally loved. Some of his theories were unusual - there's little doubt about that. But Dr Missler's motivation to instill a passion for the scriptures in other Christians was undeniable - even if you disagreed with some of his theology. He never compromised on the truth of the gospel. At the same time, when it came to secondary matters - his preference for the KJV over the NIV or his pre-millennial view of the End Times - he would often pause and remind his audience “there are good Christians on both sides of this”. He was careful to indicate where he was sharing an opinion that might run counter to the Christian mainstream. And while he always taught with great fervour and passion, he held his views on secondary issues lightly and with great humility.

Chaplain

New sermons and resources:

Video: Pain: God's Biggest Problem (John 9:1-7, 8/22/20)

"THE HUMAN spirit will not even begin to try to surrender self-will as long as all seems to be well with it. Now error and sin both have this property, that the deeper they are the less their victim suspects their existence; they are masked evil. Pain is unmasked, unmistakable evil, every man knows that something is wrong when he is being hurt.... And pain is not only immediately recognizable evil, but evil impossible to ignore. We can rest contentedly in our sins and in our stupidities; and anyone who has watched gluttons shoveling down the most exquisite foods as if they did not know what they were eating, will admit that we can ignore even pleasure. But pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." (Scholar C.S. Lewis)

Video: Charlie Kirk @ Godspeak Sunday 9AM Livestream - 8.23.2020

Video: How can a loving God allow suffering? | Michael Ramsden

In his second talk to the Oxford Inter-Collegiate Christian Union, RZIM International Director Michael Ramsden examines the huge question of suffering in our hurting world.

Video: Mary Jo Sharp (@ConfidentChristianity) - Atheism, Conversion and Belief - Critical Witness

Today we are talking with Mary Jo Sharp, the director of the nonprofit apologetics ministry Confident Christianity, Inc. She holds an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University and is Assistant Professor of Apologetics at Houston Baptist University. A former atheist who came to faith, Mary Jo Sharp has experienced two worlds of American culture: the post-Christian culture of the Pacific Northwest and the evangelical culture of the Bible Belt. She first encountered apologetics in her own spiritual search while seeking answers.

Video: Christopher Hitchens vs John Lennox | Is God Great? Debate

"Is God Great?" sees two of the West's very best minds face off on the subject - the late atheist Christopher Hitchens and Professor John Lennox of Oxford University. Hitchens, who made his opinion clear on the topic with his book "God is not Great," maintains not only that God fails to be great, but denies his existence entirely. Professor Lennox, a convinced Christian and scientist, respectfully disagrees. This event features a unique blend of both planned remarks and fast-paced dialogue that tackles these issues in a refreshing and informative light. It is sure to offer insights to all.

Video: Ross Douthat, Tara Isabella Burton, and Steven Smith on the next American Religion

The coming American generation is the least Christian in modern memory, but it is not necessarily secularized. Instead, millennial-era religion is syncretistic and diverse, with strong occult, New Age, and pantheistic elements. This post-Christian turn has “woke” and alt-right forms, and it influences both the religious center and the ideological fringes. This new paganism is an important subject of Tara Isabella Burton’s book, “Strange Rites: New Religions for a Godless World” (Public Affairs, 2020). Its historical roots and the tension between Christian and pagan world pictures lie at the heart of Steven Smith’s work, “Pagans and Christians in the City: Culture Wars from the Tiber to the Potomac” (Eerdmans, 2018).

Video: Grace Sunday Evening 23rd August 2020 - Real Lives with Rebecca McLaughlin

"This evening Jon is leading our time together and will be interviewing Rebecca McLaughlin. Rebecca is a Brit in exile, her marriage to an Oklahoman taking her to the United States. Recently she wrote a book, 'Confronting Christianity', which examines some of the toughest questions people ask of Christianity. In this edited interview, she talks of the journey that led her to write the book, shares some of her experience in sharing the good news of Jesus, and challenges the idea that Christianity is intellectually or morally inferior to the opposing secular worldview."

Video: “Purposeful Living for Today and Beyond with Os Guinness“—C.S. Lewis Institute

In this address, hosted by the C.S. Lewis Institute, Os provides us with an insightful look into ways that we can live a purposeful life that leads to joy and fulfillment.

Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion: Empowering women or the end of civilisation?

Our society is confused, angry and struggling to cope with Covid, racism, poverty, corruption, injustice, violence and sexual perversity, among other things. How does Christianity have any answers? Much of what I hear from the church is an empty echo of the society garnished with vapid cliches and meaningless truisms. The real answer is found in Romans 1. It is because human beings exchanged the truth of God for a lie that our foolish hearts have become darkened and our thinking has become futile. As a result, God has given us over to what we asked for – a world without God. A Godless mind is a depraved mind. So we do what ought not to be done.

Which Enemy? Which Doorstep?

Two things can be true at the same time, but true in different ways and of different people. That's the only way to make sense of the dangerous excesses of woke culture, and the dangerous toleration of racism within much Christian culture.

Ethics for the Digital Age: Defining and Pursuing the Good for Our Good

"Influenced by the rise of postmodernism, our society has become relativistic when it comes to ethics and religion in particular. We’re open to people having their own views regarding ethics and morality. What’s good is what we ultimately want in life. If it feels good, it must be true. If we think it’s true, it must be good. There’s a subtle irony in this relativism when we consider modern empirical research and science. Our society isn’t postmodern when it comes to technology and the sciences. We pursue hard facts with the scientific method. We believe in unchanging truth regarding how the world works. But this objectivity doesn’t invade our ethics and moral understandings of the world." (Ethicist Jason Thacker)

But That’s Just Your Interpretation!

“Experience shows us our efforts at interpretation do not consign us to a hermeneutical circle; rather, our knowing, our interpretations, are rather more akin to the movement of a hermeneutical spiral: as we circle in on the text again and again, we get closer and closer to faithful understanding, even if it is never the understanding available only to Omniscience.” (Scholar Don Carson)

Edited

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"Influenced by the rise of postmodernism, our society has become relativistic when it comes to ethics and religion in particular. We’re open to people having their own views regarding ethics and morality. What’s good is what we ultimately want in life. If it feels good, it must be true. If we think it’s true, it must be good. There’s a subtle irony in this relativism when we consider modern empirical research and science. Our society isn’t postmodern when it comes to technology and the sciences. We pursue hard facts with the scientific method. We believe in unchanging truth regarding how the world works. But this objectivity doesn’t invade our ethics and moral understandings of the world." (Ethicist Jason Thacker)
love this take

yeah it is funny the more i think about it and the more this goes on, the more it feels like old school patriarchal Christian morality is based on biological fact, logic and reason, whereas the new intersectional/gaia-based ideology is nihilist abstraction and unattached to daily life and largely based on incoherent nonsense.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I've been thinking about the public evils that are rationalized and perpetuated by the state and political ideologies today, and how this is tied to the irreverence fostered during the Enlightenment and the ensuing revolutions in continental Europe. To get a better understanding of this, I read Pope Leo XIII's encyclical on freemasonry, Humanum Genus:

This twofold kingdom St. Augustine keenly discerned and described after the manner of two cities, contrary in their laws because striving for contrary objects; and with a subtle brevity he expressed the efficient cause of each in these words: "Two loves formed two cities: the love of self, reaching even to contempt of God, an earthly city; and the love of God, reaching to contempt of self, a heavenly one."(1) At every period of time each has been in conflict with the other, with a variety and multiplicity of weapons and of warfare, although not always with equal ardour and assault. At this period, however, the partisans of evil seems to be combining together, and to be struggling with united vehemence, led on or assisted by that strongly organized and widespread association called the Freemasons.

It seems that many of the masonic programs that Leo saw when he wrote this encyclical in 1884 have relentlessly been pursued here in America in the last 50 years, namely the consolidation of education to the state. Public teachers unions and their political surrogates have relentlessly attacked voucher programs that would subsidize poor children to instead seek better options at private and religious schools. And of course, we all fear that public education has more or less become centers for political indoctrination:

With the greatest unanimity the sect of the Freemasons also endeavours to take to itself the education of youth. They think that they can easily mold to their opinions that soft and pliant age, and bend it whither they will; and that nothing can be more fitted than this to enable them to bring up the youth of the State after their own plan. Therefore, in the education and instruction of children they allow no share, either of teaching or of discipline, to the ministers of the Church; and in many places they have procured that the education of youth shall be exclusively in the hands of laymen, and that nothing which treats of the most important and most holy duties of men to God shall be introduced into the instructions on morals.

And also the idea of "equality of outcome" in recent years:

Then come their doctrines of politics, in which the naturalists lay down that all men have the same right, and are in every respect of equal and like condition; that each one is naturally free; that no one has the right to command another; that it is an act of violence to require men to obey any authority other than that which is obtained from themselves.

26. Just as a perfect condition of the body results from the conjunction and composition of its various members, which, though differing in form and purpose, make, by their union and the distribution of each one to its proper place, a combination beautiful to behole, firm in strength, and necessary for use; so, in the commonwealth, there is an almost infinite dissimilarity of men, as parts of the whole. If they are to be all equal, and each is to follow his own will, the State will appear most deformed; but if, with a distinction of degrees of dignity, of pursuits and employments, all aptly conspire for the common good, they will present the image of a State both well constituted and conformable to nature.

He foresaw saw that liberals would join common cause with marxists, and that only social disintegration would follow:

Now, from the disturbing errors which We have described the greatest dangers to States are to be feared. For, the fear of God and reverence for divine laws being taken away, the authority of rulers despised, sedition permitted and approved, and the popular passions urged on to lawlessness, with no restraint save that of punishment, a change and overthrow of all things will necessarily follow. Yea, this change and overthrow is deliberately planned and put forward by many associations of communists and socialists; and to their undertakings the sect of Freemasons is not hostile, but greatly favours their designs, and holds in common with them their chief opinions. And if these men do not at once and everywhere endeavour to carry out their extreme views, it is not to be attributed to their teaching and their will, but to the virtue of that divine religion which cannot be destroyed; and also because the sounder part of men, refusing to be enslaved to secret societies, vigorously resist their insane attempts.

29. Knowing these things, both princes and people would act with political wisdom,(16) and according to the needs of general safety, if, instead of joining with Freemasons to destroy the Church, they joined with the Church in repelling their attacks.

There's a line in the closing remarks that embodies a short prayer we could all bring to God in our private petitions: "that the Church may enjoy its needed liberty, that those who have gone astray may return to a right mind, that error at length may give place to truth, and vice to virtue."

Last edited:
Top Bottom