• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan's next project: sci-fi/time travel film titled 'Interstellar'

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

A blessing. I keep telling you guys we are so lucky to be witness to this in our very lifetime.

No one listens.

I'm with you. Nolan has brought a certain gravitas to epic-scale films. He's tackled so many different subjects and themes, all with a strong emotional and character-driven core. His movies are big, smart, fun, etc.

But for some reason tons of people hate him. :)

I'm with you. Nolan has brought a certain gravitas to epic-scale films. He's tackled so many different subjects and themes, all with a strong emotional and character-driven core. His movies are big, smart, fun, etc.

But for some reason tons of people hate him. :)

Well all I can say is you are a smart man, and its nice to know there are others that appreciate his movies, and what he has done in such a short amount of time. Hes still young.

inm8num2

Well all I can say is you are a smart man, and its nice to know there are others that appreciate his movies, and what he has done in such a short amount of time. Hes still young.

His track record speaks for itself.

Following
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises

Somebody find me a modern filmmaker with a comparable streak.

Following
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises

No one, and all those who can compare him to, have really lost their edge/touch over the years. Of course most of them have gotten up their in age.

Following
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises

Blood Simple
Razing Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou?

All of those are better then TDKR by a mile.

+ NCFOM aka top five film of the decade.

inm8num2

Blood Simple
Razing Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou?

All of those are better then TDKR by a mile.

+ NCFOM aka top five film of the decade.
I love the Coens. They're in the top 5 for me along with Nolan.

But those are all far different films from TDKR. Comparing them is highly subjective.

It's hard to go wrong with any of those directors/films, but I'd personally put Nolan in there with them if only for the fact that his movies tend to be blockbusters and summer tent poles that break the usual brainless mold.

His films may not be as provocative as some of those (I tend to think they're pretty fulfilling myself) but they reach a bigger audience than most Oscar bait and that's worth something to me.

It's hard to go wrong with any of those directors/films, but I'd personally put Nolan in there with them if only for the fact that his movies tend to be blockbusters and summer tent poles that break the usual brainless mold.

His films may not be as provocative as some of those (I tend to think they're pretty fulfilling myself) but they reach a bigger audience than most Oscar bait and that's worth something to me.

Coens, PTA and Tarantino = Oscar bait....

lol

DMczaf

http://www.newsoficeland.com/home/e...49-national-park-closed-for-christopher-nolan

National Park Ranger in Vatnajökull National Park, southeast Iceland, has decided to approve Sagafilm's request to have hiking paths and areas around Svínafellsjökull glacier closed from September 11th-19th.

As we reported earlier Christopher Nolan was in Iceland during Easter, scouting for a suitable place to shoot scenes for the movie Interstellar. Both Matt Damon and Matthew McConaughey are expected to be in Iceland at least somewhat during these days.
The park ranger says that the closing of paths and areas around the glacier is considered necessary for the movie crew, while it does not disturb other business or traffic by the general public too much.

5396434721_94a50ff22f_o.jpg

Mmmmmm

Nolan is probably one of the best Hollywood directors working right now because he has a lot of say (good and bad) when it comes to his films. But he is a Hollywood system director. His best films were the films that had the lowest budgets. The Coens and PTA are vastly superior filmmakers.

Nolan is probably one of the best Hollywood directors working right now because he has a lot of say (good and bad) when it comes to his films. But he is a Hollywood system director. His best films were the films that had the lowest budgets. The Coens and PTA are vastly superior filmmakers.

I want to say it's apples and oranges but you're probably right. Take out Batman and you're still looking at a Hitchcock versus Kubrick comparison between Nolan and the Coens/PTAs of the world. Not a bad place to be, mind.

I want to say it's apples and oranges but you're probably right. Take out Batman and you're still looking at a Hitchcock versus Kubrick comparison between Nolan and the Coens/PTAs of the world. Not a bad place to be, mind.

Never mention Hitchcock and Nolan in the same sentence. Especially since Hitchcock had a knack for casting actresses whereas Nolan regurgitates actresses and rarely gets a good performance out of any of them. I would say Nolan is more similar to Cameron. He makes big, dumb, entertaining blockbuster movies. That's not a mark against him, it's just the truth.

Never mention Hitchcock and Nolan in the same sentence. Especially since Hitchcock had a knack for casting actresses whereas Nolan regurgitates actresses and rarely gets a good performance out of any of them. I would say Nolan is more similar to Cameron. He makes big, dumb, entertaining blockbuster movies. That's not a mark against him, it's just the truth.

I don't know; I saw a glimmer of something more in Memento and The Prestige. I don't mind the direction he's taken though. It's amazing how poorly made most blockbusters are.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I think it's the classic case of putting an A student in a C class. More often than not the class brings the student down, rather than the student bringing the rest of the class up.

Had Nolan worked in a different environment I feel confident he could shine as a filmmaker.

Blader

I think it's the classic case of putting an A student in a C class. More often than not the class brings the student down, rather than the student bringing the rest of the class up.

Had Nolan worked in a different environment I feel confident he could shine as a filmmaker.

He's making the movies he wants to make. He LIKES blockbusters, no one is forcing anything on him.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
He's making the movies he wants to make. He LIKES blockbusters, no one is forcing anything on him.

Do you mean he likes making money or working with big name actors and big budgets?
Can't blame him for that but I always come out of his movies feeling like they were purposefully dumbed down... It's like he encourages you to think, but only a little bit.

Blader

Do you mean he likes making money or working with big name actors and big budgets?

I'm sure he does, but what I meant was that he likes blockbusters, period. He likes those kinds of movies. There was an interview some time back where he talked about how he loved movies like those as a kid and likes making them now as an adult.

I know tons of people think he's a sell-out for not doing a career of Mementos, but he's actually doing what he loves here. There's no sacrificing of dreams or creative control for the sake of paychecks; he gets all three.

DMczaf

https://twitter.com/EddieMarsAttack/status/377947911214358529

Meeting at Sony. Just walked past Nolan's soundstage where he's doing INTERSTELLAR. Hope to get picks if I get out off here in time.

Operation INTERSTELLAR failed.

BT7K7mDIEAATx0J.jpg

Although I couldn't get photos, the INTERSTELLAR sets were enormous and reminded me of the ones in INCEPTION. I'll try and get snaps soon.

They looked like they moved or rotated. Also large. Hard to get a good look. Angry stares from teamsters and grips came my way.

iqUlAq9QZMCXz.gif

DMczaf

http://collider.com/interstellar-score-hans-zimmer-dark-knight-trilogy/

Zimmer has been working on Interstellar for a while now.

“At the back of my mind constantly I’m inventing stuff for Interstellar. Weirdly I’m a bit ahead on that one. Circumstances beyond my control, I wrote [Nolan] a main theme in January while he was writing… There’s a tune, there’s a theme there.”

“We had this sort of conversation about—you know nine years we spent in our Batman world. The textures, the music, and the sounds, and the thing we sort of created has sort of seeped into other people’s movies a bit, so it’s time to reinvent. The endless string of sonatas need to go by the wayside, the big drums are probably in the bin. So right now it’s sort of the time where I’m pondering what else we can do.”

“Chris feels the same challenge, ‘Let’s do something new. We have something to say.’ He really has got something to say, there’s a solid backbone to this thing and it’s an important story, and we want to tell it in a way that nobody else has ever done. And the same goes for the music, of course.”

iUv7CVpqYnPvB.gif

Zimmer said he would lose the drums for MoS as well. Said he probably couldn't do something bombastic again like he did for Batman.

Zimmer lied.

delta25

Banned

Following
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises

Jeff Nichols

Shotgun Stories - 91%
Take Shelter- 93%
Mud- 98%

He may not have as many movies under his belt, but as you can see he only gets better with every new film he makes.

Blader

70s Coppola, 60s Leone, and 50s/60s Kurosawa have the best consecutive streaks of any filmmaker.

edit: oh fuck, modern? nvm.

Following - Not a terrible film, but not a good one either. Overrated to all hell.
Memento - Great film
Insomnia - Flawed, but decent film
Batman Begins Very Good
The Prestige - Great Film
The Dark Knight Very good
Inception It's decent, but still very, very flawed.
The Dark Knight Rises Nolan's worst film yet.

So you're looking for a comparatively schizophrenic streak that is slowly declining in quality?

I have high hopes for Interstellar. I really want Nolan to recapture the potential he's shown in the past.

Busty

Banned
Hmmm. I had no idea that Interstellar was shooting on the Sony studio lot.

Interesting (likely to no one but me) that Nolan is shooting on the Sony lot again. The Warners lot was probably too busy to accommodate a production of this size and (IIRC) the Paramount lot is mostly used for TV now so may not have been suitable.

I heard that Nolan is a big fan of 'old Hollywood' and wanted to work on the old MGM studio lot, which eventually became Sony studios, with WB going as far as to accommodate him by shooting the Batcave stuff for TDKR on a sound stage at Sony despite the fact it could have been done on the WB lot.

Does anyone know of any good (non paid/subscription) websites and/or blogs that detail what productions are shooting on what studio lot in LA? I've been trying to find a reliable one for years.

Dany

Banned
Hmmm. I had no idea that Interstellar was shooting on the Sony studio lot.

Interesting (likely to no one but me) that Nolan is shooting on the Sony lot again. The Warners lot was probably too busy to accommodate a production of this size and (IIRC) the Paramount lot is mostly used for TV now so may not have been suitable.

I heard that Nolan is a big fan of 'old Hollywood' and wanted to work on the old MGM studio lot, which eventually became Sony studios, with WB going as far as to accommodate him by shooting the Batcave stuff for TDKR on a sound stage at Sony despite the fact it could have been done on the WB lot.

Does anyone know of any good (non paid/subscription) websites and/or blogs that detail what productions are shooting on what studio lot in LA? I've been trying to find a reliable one for years.

Dang, that is crazy. I know Warner Bros and Paramount are distributing the film, right? Or am I confusing things.

Busty

Banned
Dang, that is crazy. I know Warner Bros and Paramount are distributing the film, right? Or am I confusing things.

You are right about WB and Paramount distributing Interstellar but it's not unusual for studios to shoot their productions on rival studios sound stages because as at the end of the day they are facilities that are available for hire.

NBC's Community for example (a Universal and Sony tv co-production) shoots on the Paramount studio lot. The early seasons of The Voice (produced by a division of Warners TV) were filmed on the Sony studio lot IIRC before moving to the WB studio lot.

While these are TV shows it just shows that all studios have facilities for hire and willingly hire them out to rivals.

Dany

Banned
I ant wait for the 240p upside down blurry handheld to leak
3AQmK.gif

because\ I'm not watching the hobbit in theaters :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom