• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan's next project: sci-fi/time travel film titled 'Interstellar'

Status
Not open for further replies.
haxug.gif

Hope it's as good as the Inception teaser trailer.

Alright now that Gif is seriously fantastic. Shamelessly stolen!

jett

D-Member
Wut, a trailer already?

I just realized TDKR has killed all of my Nolanhype. I think I'd be more interested if Espielbergo had stayed on.

Wilbur

Banned
Nolan needs to prove himself with this one; gonna go see it three times in the cinema just so I can make sure it's actually good.

Inception and TDKR get worse every time I watch them ;_;

Guy.brush

I hope the actual space travel proceedings are more or less NASA style like in EUROPA REPORT or at least GRAVITY territory as opposed to other less accurate Hollywood craptastic space movies.
Please let it be more like EUROPA REPORT than CONTACT, MISSION TO MARS/RED PLANET.

Blader

I hope the actual space travel proceedings are more or less NASA style like in EUROPA REPORT or at least GRAVITY territory as opposed to other less accurate Hollywood craptastic space movies.
Please let it be more like EUROPA REPORT than CONTACT, MISSION TO MARS/RED PLANET.

Please no

Kadayi

Banned
Loved Inception & Batman begins, but absolutely loathed TDK & TDKR (sorry). I think both films demanded too much unequivocal loyalty of innumerable hoodlums without any sense of gain (firstly for the joker secondly for Bane) for me to really get behind them. Certainly they were grandiose, but I never felt they'd earned it in terms of this larger conflict and face off with Batman. However I'm not actually convinced batman as a universe works all that well off the comic page or outside of the animation studio in truth.

Interested to see what Nolan's new film is about. However I'm hoping it more tempered in scale.

Guy.brush

So I have read the 2008 draft from Jona Nolan.
What do you guys & girls think?

The whole vibe to me felt very light on the reality of actual space travel proceedings in exchange for a very fast pace.
If this is really 2087 as the draft suggests, the craft they are traveling with has some amazingly fast engines. They can drift in and out of a black hole in seconds. A black hole that spans solar systems. Or how they get into orbit and do an EDL in minutes.
There was a distinct lack of realness to the maneuvering in space. Another example being: Cooper and Brand being lifted up by gravitational forces from that compressed moon to float into space seemingly lost. Then seconds later a lander craft appears exactly beneath them to catch them when they drift down again. It all felt like the vastness of space was not given justice.

To distill my feelings down: On a spectrum of space travel truthiness, with EUROPA REPORT on the far side and ARMAGEDDON on the other. INTERSTELLAR leans more towards ARMAGEDDON.
Or to use the AI (Spielberg) vs. 2001 (Kubrick) scale:
The ride-like non-stop feeling of it all, the humor with the robot characters also felt more like a typical Spielberg movie, rather than some more analytic or cryptic Kubrick opera.

Also had a hard time swallowing the "blight" that dooms mankind so utterly that all hope is lost. It felt very artificial to create a reason for "science" to safe the day. Why can we not have a "to explore" motif without saving the world?
Felt a bit hollow like OBLIVION in that sense. The remnants of NASA having a VAST underground base with a primed multi-stage rocket and the mission ready to go when Cooper accidentially finds them also felt weird to me.
I am still unsure if I like that "all-american" hero feel of the whole thing with the central hero character being a Bruce Willis Armageddon-type drilling expert from outside the science/astronaut community that just happens to be an awesome all-around super dude astronaut too?
While the whole thing was a pretty solid read, I really hope CNolan had some more rewrites on it.

What I liked:
The middle part! The descriptions of the warping sequence inside the wormhole were cool and freaky. The ice planet stuff was really good too. The revelation with the Chinese base, the alien fractal creature forest, the whole flora and fauna underneath a giant ice dome, shielding life from the neutron star, etc. Made AVATAR feel like some pedestrian cowboys in space shit...
But after that it starts to become a bit messy. The bulk creatures? The 4000year old Chinese Space station that had R&D on EVERYTHING, I dunno. Will be interesting how close this is to the final movie

So I have read the 2008 draft from Jona Nolan.
What do you guys & girls think?

The whole vibe to me felt very light on the reality of actual space travel proceedings in exchange for a very fast pace.
If this is really 2087 as the draft suggests, the craft they are traveling with has some amazingly fast engines. They can drift in and out of a black hole in seconds. A black hole that spans solar systems. Or how they get into orbit and do an EDL in minutes.
There was a distinct lack of realness to the maneuvering in space. Another example being: Cooper and Brand being lifted up by gravitational forces from that compressed moon to float into space seemingly lost. Then seconds later a lander craft appears exactly beneath them to catch them when they drift down again. It all felt like the vastness of space was not given justice.

To distill my feelings down: On a spectrum of space travel truthiness, with EUROPA REPORT on the far side and ARMAGEDDON on the other. INTERSTELLAR leans more towards ARMAGEDDON.
Or to use the AI (Spielberg) vs. 2001 (Kubrick) scale:
The ride-like non-stop feeling of it all, the humor with the robot characters also felt more like a typical Spielberg movie, rather than some more analytic or cryptic Kubrick opera.

Also had a hard time swallowing the "blight" that dooms mankind so utterly that all hope is lost. It felt very artificial to create a reason for "science" to safe the day. Why can we not have a "to explore" motif without saving the world?
Felt a bit hollow like OBLIVION in that sense. The remnants of NASA having a VAST underground base with a primed multi-stage rocket and the mission ready to go when Cooper accidentially finds them also felt weird to me.
I am still unsure if I like that "all-american" hero feel of the whole thing with the central hero character being a Bruce Willis Armageddon-type drilling expert from outside the science/astronaut community that just happens to be an awesome all-around super dude astronaut too?
While the whole thing was a pretty solid read, I really hope CNolan had some more rewrites on it.

What I liked:
The middle part! The descriptions of the warping sequence inside the wormhole were cool and freaky. The ice planet stuff was really good too. The revelation with the Chinese base, the alien fractal creature forest, the whole flora and fauna underneath a giant ice dome, shielding life from the neutron star, etc. Made AVATAR feel like some pedestrian cowboys in space shit...
But after that it starts to become a bit messy. The bulk creatures? The 4000year old Chinese Space station that had R&D on EVERYTHING, I dunno. Will be interesting how close this is to the final movie

Ummm

Christopher Nolan is writing a script that merges an original idea of his with the script that Jonah wrote. It will retain the title Interstellar, and the ambition for the project is a film that will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the farthest borders of our scientific understanding. If it all pans out, he’ll direct. Nolan’s unofficial home studio, Warner Bros, has been kissed into the deal as a co-production partner with Paramount, and Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing with Lynda Obst. Jordan Goldberg is joining as exec producer alongside Thorne, who’ll remain on as technical consultant.

http://m.deadline.com/2013/01/the-m...illa-oscar-directors-and-the-films-they-make/

Guy.brush

Dunno about it being radically different. The teaser fit exactly to the Jonah Nolan draft, and the official tightlipped synopsis also fits exactly to that draft.
I really hope they did a page 1 rewrite though.
It is a solid B-movie style 7/10 but it felt more like a mix between AI, FIRST CONTACT, OBLIVION and ARMAGEDDON to me rather than something like 2001, GRAVITY or even EUROPA REPORT.
I really hope it will be closer to the latter.

Dunno about it being radically different. The teaser fit exactly to the Jonah Nolan draft, and the official tightlipped synopsis also fits exactly to that draft.
I really hope they did a page 1 rewrite though.
It is a solid B-movie style 7/10 but it felt more like a mix between AI, FIRST CONTACT, OBLIVION and ARMAGEDDON to me rather than something like 2001, GRAVITY or even EUROPA REPORT.
I really hope it will be closer to the latter.

How da fuck you gonna mash AI with that former shit rather than the latter?

I'll argue it's still the best sci-fi movie since 2001

Though I really like contact and gravity

Guy.brush

AI because it had the Spielbergian adventure feeling in the middle and the schmalzy ending
and the robot humor
. Parts that Kubrick probably would have not pushed so hard.

And if you call that ending schmaltzy (not really though) how da fuck is gravity getting a pass?

I haven't seen Europa Report but I'm not sure if I wanna because of copely being in it. Worst actor of the year

Dead

well not really...yet
AI because it had the Spielbergian adventure feeling in the middle and the schmalzy ending
and the robot humor
. Parts that Kubrick probably would have not pushed so hard.
But that was Kubrick's ending

And if you call that ending schmaltzy (not really though) how da fuck is gravity getting a pass?

I haven't seen Europa Report but I'm not sure if I wanna because of copely being in it. Worst actor of the year
lol. I finally saw Elysium. What the fuck was Copley even doing. haha

So is Hathaway in Nolan's stable now? She's fine but.. I don't think she's on the level of the rest of the crew. Marion Cotillard is much better.

Anyway.. this cast looks awesome (and I do appreciate it's not a total copy of the Inception/TDKR cast). Unlike some, I don't think Nolan has made a wrong turn yet. Love a good sci-fi, love time travel. Super excited for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom