• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan's next project: sci-fi/time travel film titled 'Interstellar'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

If it's going to have +$100 million budget it's not going anywhere near Primer. It will be masqueraded as Primer but in reality it spoon feeds everything to you. But I'm not complaining. Big budget scifi is what it is and it's still better then nothing.

Yeah, I didn't mean it would be as gritty as Primer, just that I expect the time travel stuff to work in a similar way, given what I've read about Kip Thorne's theories.

Of course it will. The Nolan who made Memento and The Prestige is dead and buried. You will only ever get the Nolan who made Inception now.

I'm hopeful that with Jonathan penning the script and no comic book lore holding him back, this will be more like Memento or The Prestige than Inception or the TDK trilogy.

AColdDay

Im there Day 1 for anything Nolan directs. He hasn't made a movie that I didn't appreciate, and has made several of my favorite movies of the 00s.

You're waiting for a wormhole, a wormhole that will take you far away. You know where you hope this wormhole will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter.

effzee

How will this be more like the Prestige or Momento? Those two movies are completely different to begin with anyway and this movie's subject matter lends itself far more to an inception like grand movie.

And my god I hope its like Inception which was fucking amazing outside of the usual critic gaf that shits on everything after jerking off to it at first. "Ohh I didn't like them explaining shit... for you see its boring and I'm so smart I figured it all out 5 minutes into the movie"...followed by a 100 page thread asking questions about the movie they couldn't follow or understand. "...how come all the members of the heist team didn't get full exploration of their characters? I can't appreciate this I don't know what their motivations are...I enjoy far superior product like John Carter or Speed Racer than this crap!"

effzee

Yawn. Directors who use the same actors for all of their films bother me. Plus the Prestige is Nolan's only great film, flawed plot and all.

Except he doesn't. Outside of Caine and Bale most of the actors in his movies have been different. Batman Trilogy lends itself to using the same core cause its a trilogy and they have to unless they kill every single character off. Inception had tons of new faces. Prestige had Hugh Jackman, ScarJo, Bowie, and Rebecca Hall. And he only worked with them on that movie. Guy Pearce hasn't worked with him Momento. Al Pacino, Hillary Swank, and Robin Williams only worked on one movie with him. People like Holmes, Gylenhall, Eckhart have also only worked on one project.

One thing is given. The cast will be a great ensemble and good actors will be cast for even the most minor of roles. Who cares if a familiar face or two shows up as long as the movie is good?

I hope Nolan never works with Goyer again. I'm convinced that guy is behind some of the worst ideas in Nolan's movies, and he's better off without him.

Goyer only worked on the Batman movies with him. Never worked on any non Batman project with him so I doubt going forward he ever collaborates with him again. And Goyer worked to help Nolan familiarize himself with the Batman world of which he only knew the very basics.

I'm not really worried about Nolan picking a new DP. He knows his shit, and it's not like there isn't a range of talent both known and unknown for him to select from. What I think he needs to do though, is find a good second unit director for his action. Still needs work! :p

One of Nolan's initial demands to WB back when they handed him Batman was that he will do every thing by himself. Event he action and no second unit director for action. And he won't back down from that now.

The last 45 minutes of TDKR were full of good action. Hopefully it gets better but like most overblown reactions on GAF, his action is neither the worst nor the best. It could improve but its not terrible.

DMczaf

And my god I hope its like Inception which was fucking amazing outside of the usual critic gaf that shits on everything after jerking off to it at first. "Ohh I didn't like them explaining shit... for you see its boring and I'm so smart I figured it all out 5 minutes into the movie"...followed by a 100 page thread asking questions about the movie they couldn't follow or understand. "...how come all the members of the heist team didn't get full exploration of their characters? I can't appreciate this I don't know what their motivations are...I enjoy far superior product like John Carter or Speed Racer than this crap!"

Truth bomb

R2D4

Banned
How will this be more like the Prestige or Momento? Those two movies are completely different to begin with anyway and this movie's subject matter lends itself far more to an inception like grand movie.

datapump.gif

gutshot

Well this is the first original story that Jonathan Nolan has worked on since Memento. And the first non-Batman movie he has written since The Prestige. So that is where I was making that connection.

I did like Inception and would be cool with them going with another epic movie in that vein. But I do prefer Nolan when he is tackling movies with a smaller scope. I think he is better at that than the epic stuff (although he is pretty good with the epic stuff too). Movies like The Following, Memento and Insomnia are why I'm a Nolan fan in the first place, so it would be cool to see him go back to his roots.

Solo

You are downright zealous with your incessant need to defend Nolan, man.

lol that's some ether right there. I do find the faux-critic behaviour to be slightly annoying but it's not just a GAF thing. I see it everywhere these days.

This might be my favorite post on GAF ever. Nolan is my favorite director by far. I have loved all his movies and I will be there day 1 for this. I love movies that feature time travel and I am really excited to see how this turns out.

Toa TAK

Banned

This was beautiful. I can't wait for this film, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Nolan's films, and I have yet to be disappointed.

65405555-dat-ass-b9rw7.gif

Bravo!

effzee

You are downright zealous with your incessant need to defend Nolan, man.

Not any more so than the usual group of posters who show up in every movie thread to preach their far superior opinions while putting everything down.

I've criticized some of his work (Isomnia) or things I don't like in individual movies (TDK and some in TDKR) but the amount of nitpicking, tearing apart scene by scene, and overblown reactions is downright ridiculous. And you damn well know if he stuck to making small time movies and never became a big name the same group of dolts would be hanging from his nut sack.

Solo

Not any more so than the usual group of posters who show up in every movie thread to preach their far superior opinions while putting everything down.

I've criticized some of his work (Isomnia) or things I don't like in individual movies (TDK and some in TDKR) but the amount of nitpicking, tearing apart scene by scene, and overblown reactions is downright ridiculous. And you damn well know if he stuck to making small time movies and never became a big name the same group of dolts would be hanging from his nut sack.

I doubt that very much. Him remaining "small time" wouldn't have removed those flaws from his movies. Nor does him being "big time" add any more.

Sounds promising thus far, look forward to the casting. I'm fascinated that people complain about directors using the same actors. Personally, I care more about actors fitting the role and their talent than how many movies they've been in. A director finds a group of actors talented and a pleasure to work with so wants to work with them again? perish the thought!

Solo

Actually, no, he provides a good and welcome counter point.

He does this in every Nolan thread. It's essentially the opposite of what the "hater" mentality is.

Hater: stop liking what I don't like!
effzee: stop disliking what I like!

I don't mean to throw you under the bus, effzee, as I think you're a great poster, but I called your Nolan defending zealous simply because I've seen it in every thread that the discussion comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom