• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chronicles of Riddick is the best game of this gen!

KarishBHR

Along with Call of Duty and Eternal Darkness. I beat it the other day, and I still cannot stop thinking about it! The graphics are amazing, he gameplay is incredible.... GOD I LOVE THIS GAME!

Anyone else love this game as well

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I was originally going to ignore the game after the rather poor demo...

However, at the very least, I will likely rent it. Is it really as good as I'm hearing? The demo was really not all that good so I'm curious as to just how much different/better the final actually is.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I didn't try the demo.

However, the game is great. It's one of the more memorable action/adventure titles I've played. I hesitate to call it a FPS as it's been billed because though it does have plenty of shooting moments, some of the most satisfying elements are the hand to hand combat and general exploration.

It looks amazing. There are hitches here and there, mostly in cut scenes, but it's one of the few console games I've played that compared favorably to better PC level graphics. It's all part of the package though as the sound, voice acting, dark DARK design come together quite well.

I'm not going to call it the best game this gen (or any game for that matter) but it's one of the most immersive experiences I've had this gen. A definite AAA title.

Pimpbaa

Ugh, when will the overrating of this game end? The story and graphics in this game are great, but the gameplay blows. The "rpg" sections are mind numbing fetch quests, the stealth sections are fustrating (the moment you step out of a shadow, everyone sees you no matter where they are), and the shooting parts are ruined due to no auto aim (you need to compensate for the lack of precision of a gamepad).

KarishBHR

Pimpbaa said:
Ugh, when will the overrating of this game end? The story and graphics in this game are great, but the gameplay blows. The "rpg" sections are mind numbing fetch quests, the stealth sections are fustrating (the moment you step out of a shadow, everyone sees you no matter where they are), and the shooting parts are ruined due to no auto aim (you need to compensate for the lack of precision of a gamepad).

Its not overating... I played it, I loved it, and its amazing

I think the game is really good, but i think its going to be a victim of alot of hype for alot of people.. its being overhyped hardcore..

it is alot of fun, in some areas I got bored, in some areas I thought i was playing the best game ever..

i can see how people say they loved it and play through it 3-4 times...

Solid

Is it really that good? I watched GameSpot's video review a moment ago and Kasavin really liked it. The problem is that I don't like Vin Diesel and have never bought a movie game before. But maybe I should look past that?

Thanks.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmm, I was originally going to ignore the game after the rather poor demo...

However, at the very least, I will likely rent it. Is it really as good as I'm hearing? The demo was really not all that good so I'm curious as to just how much different/better the final actually is.

Dark10x, I think I have similar taste in FPS as you (I pretty much felt the same way as you did about Far Cry and the Riddick demo). So coming from a similar perspective here's what I thought.

The game starts off good though the first thing you notice is the aliasing problem has not been fixed since the demo. The around 30% in the game takes a small dive in quality and makes you worry if the game is going to go downhill and you start to notice the lack of polish in areas and little things start bugging you. Then around the 50% mark the game really takes off and is completely fantastic for the entire 2nd half. You'll play from 50%-100% in one sitting and love every minute of it and then walk away happy. Also the anti-alaising problem seems to phase out by around 30% in as it seems like they became aware of it and were able to avoid the problem after that.

Overall IMO, I'd say the first 50% of the game is a 8, while the last 50% is a 9.5, so overall I'd put it around a 8.8 and if you don't really mind spending money on 2-3 day games I would definitely purchase it. Otherwise rent, enjoy, and then maybe buy when the price drops.

MoxManiac

No, it doesn't. Okay, the Needler homes in. Maybe the charged shot from the plasma pistol does too. But the game certainly doesn't have auto aim.

Pimpbaa

MoxManiac said:
No, it doesn't. Okay, the Needler homes in. Maybe the charged shot from the plasma pistol does too. But the game certainly doesn't have auto aim.

Yes it does, and it was taken out of the PC version due to it being unnecessary. Read here. When I say auto aim, I don't mean homing shots. Auto aiming in console first person shooters register a hit when you are generally close to whatever you are aiming at.

MoxManiac

That's odd, I don't remember weapons like the pistol homing in, or adjusting itself like Prime when targeting enemies.

If it's there, it is certainly subtle.

Pimpbaa

MoxManiac said:
That's odd, I don't remember weapons like the pistol homing in, or adjusting itself like Prime when targeting enemies.

It's very subtle. If you are aiming very close to the head or whatever, it will count as a head shot. You still have to be somewhat accurate. The game would be much more hard if you could turn it off.

Volt

Well I totally love Riddick (imported it), although I agree with the comments that the game sometimes looks like it's going downhill. It's definitely picked up ever since Double Max prison though, I'm currently at the point where I need to plant the bomb I got from Jupiter.

IMO the gameplay does rock, in fact in reminds me of what the action sequences in Deus Ex : IW could've been like. It's a solid action game that plays like a solid action film, and I just like how the game seems to offer a certain amount of freedom, while still obviously keeping the player on a pretty linear, plot-driven path. I do like it when games can pull that off.

So yeah, definitely a GOTY contender IMO, not only because it's an excellent game in its own right, but also because it's not a damn sequel to anything for once.

Prine

Banned
Its an awesome game, wonderfully paced, amazing visuals with great level design. One of the best games this year, even Matt of IGNCUBE is gushing over Riddick.

Yo fellas,

Just thought I'd stop by and let everyone know that Chronicles of Riddick for Xbox has pretty much owned my nights for the last several evenings. I am really, really liking the game.

I should say that I liked Pitch Black. Thought it was a decent sci-fi movie. That noted, I was skeptical of a Riddick videogame simply because most licensed products turn out to be duds. But I stand corrected. The guys at Starbreeze have done an amazing job of creating a vivid, ambient, completely atmospheric game that's highly engulfing and absolutely gorgeous.

My feeling now is that the videogame will turn out to be dramatically better than the upcoming movie, which would be a near-first in the industry.

ced

MoxManiac said:

Seems like the bullets auto track a bit, if you pay attention they certainly dont go where the tracers does. Being there is no real crosshair, I guess that makes sense.

As mentioned in the other thread, is there a rail gun? I must have missed it if so.

Slight derailment here, but I thought I would chime in about the Halo auto aim. I could go into more detail about it, but if you fire up Halo and hover the aim cursor over an enemy the cursor slows down a bit, and allows for more subtle aiming. You can really notice it if you sweep from right to left (or vice versa) over an enemy.

Now back to Riddick, it's a fun game, and I like how the game ties into the overall story of the movies and the character. I like the combat, especially the hand 2 hand fighting mechanics. I'm only a hour or so into it, but so far I really like it.

ced

Upper_Management said:
Slight derailment here, but I thought I would chime in about the Halo auto aim. I could go into more detail about it, but if you fire up Halo and hover the aim cursor over an enemy the cursor slows down a bit, and allows for more subtle aiming. You can really notice it if you sweep from right to left (or vice versa) over an enemy.

Yeah it is also dependant on your distance from said target, close and there is just the slowdown, far away it will hop onto a target.

I think the sweeping was the problem for me in riddick, I had to do the strafe aim for side movement of the laser.

KarishBHR

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
If the reviews so far are any indication, the game is dramatically better than the movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheChroniclesofRiddick-1130966/

It's at 29% on the tomatometer, which is pretty awful. A sample quote "A sci-fi disaster on a par with the notorious John Travolta bomb Battlefield Earth". :)

It's great though that the game has its own hype which is based on quality and totally disconnected from the movie anyway.

Damn, I was looking foward to the movie... AICN loved it

Gattsu25

Banned
HALO has very aggressive auto-aiming...you could actually position the cursor, leave the controls, and watch as your screen follows an enemy's head for a second

Riddick is good...not all too great...but much better than the demo

Gattsu25 said:
HALO has very aggressive auto-aiming...you could actually position the cursor, leave the controls, and watch as your screen follows an enemy's head for a second

Yes I've said this before but people don't believe me. If you're close enough to an enemy, the cursor will actually "stick" to the bad guys.

Also, Riddick doesn't really need an auto aim. I haven't had a problem aiming anyway. The bullet spread seems to be pretty lenient as far as accuracy goes. Maybe you just need more practice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Regarding Halo's autoaim, Bungie spent a lot of time testing the hell out of the aiming system and, quite frankly, I believe it to be the absolute best you'll find on any similar console title. The autoaim aids the gamer in such a way that allows the thumbstick to become nearly as playable as a mouse while still requiring skill.

Regarding Riddick, is it true that the image quality issues (frame buffer effects bugging out) remain in the final version? The demo was EXTREMELY ugly as a result of this problem and created some shockingly low-resolution images. You could often stand around and watch as the filter modified itself.

Top Bottom