• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger Director Takashi Tokita Is Producing JRPG Oninaki

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
More information via NintendoLife

Takashi Tokita – who served as director and scenario writer on the SNES titles Chrono Trigger and Live A Live – is working on the game as creative producer. Tokita also directed Parasite Eve on the Sony PlayStation, and more recently was director and scenario writer on Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light.

Personally, I think this is great news and my hype levels for Oninaki are rising steadily.

Andyliini

I'm interested in Oninaki. I played I Am Setsuna, and it was all right outside of the Final Boss, but have not yet played Lost Sphear. I'll do it before Oninaki, though. The trailer looks good, the artstyle is much more enjoyable than TRPGF's previous games have had. Hopefully it plays well too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m also really interested in Oninaki. I dig the art style and the combat looks really interesting. Looking forward to this.

Raph64

This already looks way more interesting than I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear. The art style’s nice, the combat looks good, and the core aspect, which is about reincarnation and going from the world of life to death to prevent souls to turn into monsters, sounds neatly deep.

Last edited:
Tokita's involvement is nice, but the scenario writer is still listed as the individual behind I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphere. At the moment, I'm more inclined to believe Tokita is there to make sure the game reaches a certain level of acceptable quality.

In general, I wish the Tokyo RPG Factory titles were more appealing, but we'll see how this one goes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm optimistic, but I would have preferred a turn-based game.
I LOVE turn based combat but we got nice amount of turn based combat with DQXI, Octopath and Persona 5 and we are getting SMTV as well. Hopefully we might see Bravely third this E3 for Switch.
just like DQXI and Left Alive SE refuses to release most their games on Xbox. Whats it up with MS's relationship with SE? They do this pointless collaboration of FFXV car in Forza but no proper deal to release their games on Xbox.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

just like DQXI and Left Alive SE refuses to release most their games on Xbox. Whats it up with MS's relationship with SE? They do this pointless collaboration of FFXV car in Forza but no proper deal to release their games on Xbox.

I think a lot of it has to do with Xbox's (lack of) presence in Japan. Even though in your mind you know there's 41 million Xbox Ones in the world, it's hard to escape the perception when there's only 100k in your own country. Either that or they don't see the numbers to justify porting the smaller, non "Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts" type of big names. As for why then PC? Square has had a long history with PC going back to FFVII being released on PC a year or two after the OG PS1 release. Probably just comes down to it being an easy (aka cheap) PC port.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Interesting. I hope he still has that spark. A really good thing to have in the industry today. It's almost kinda missing.

Zephir

Dragon quest sells very little in the west to begin with, they probably didn't bother to port it on a console with an audience focused on totally different genres

left alive might be more in line with xbox audience, but it still looks too "exotic"

I'm all for "everything should be on everything" (even better, everything should be on the switch), but that's how things are now

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
It's coming out on PS4 and PC also. Hate it when sites and thread creators make it sound as if a game is exclusive when it's a multiplat game

Vawn

Banned

Very few people interested in games like this or Dragon Quest don't own a PlayStation or Switch.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Hope this game is better than their last two games.

I was hyped as fuck to learn Hironobu Sakaguchi and Akira Toriyama were collaborating on a new JRPG back in 2005. The last time they collaborated was Chrono Trigger. This time... we got Blue Dragon. An utterly mediocre and forgettable JRPG

Top Bottom