• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS Dated, Hits November 25

x3sphere

So we knew it was coming out this fall, but Square Enix announced a ship date for Chrono Trigger DS today - November 25. Can't wait :D

CHRONO TRIGGER COMES TO NINTENDO DS ON NOVEMBER 25, 2008

One of the Greatest RPGs of All Time Returns This Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES (August 18, 2008) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that its highly anticipated Nintendo DS™ title CHRONO TRIGGER® will ship to North American retailers on November 25, 2008. A groundbreaking RPG that became an instant classic, CHRONO TRIGGER is set to be one of the most compelling handheld titles available this holiday season.

Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS, this newly enhanced edition maintains all of the game’s original elements and spirit while introducing portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch Screen functionality.

Originally released in 1995 on the Super NES® and subsequently shipping more than 2.5 million copies worldwide, CHRONO TRIGGER is critically acclaimed as one of the greatest video games of all time. Praise continued to be showered upon the title at last month’s E3 2008 Media and Business Summit, with CHRONO TRIGGER receiving accolades including “Best RPG” and “Best DS Game.”

Players can look forward to a reunion with CHRONO TRIGGER’s multifaceted storyline, memorable soundtrack and exhilarating gameplay this November.

STORY

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono’s race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

FEATURES

* A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time
* An inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda
* Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills
* Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world
* Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual-screen presentation and Touch Screen functionality
* Brand-new dungeons and an Arena mode add exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic

CHRONO TRIGGER is rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. The official website can be found at http://na.square-enix.com/ctds.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I also hear rumors of a secret unlockable character you obtain for one of the bonus dungeons...name rhymes with 'shroud'...

I'm calling it right now, Singing Mountain is the "new" dungeon. Why create new assets when you can recycle old ones?

BWAHAHA! Lazy and profitable!!!

Aeana

SabinFigaro said:
I'm calling it right now, Singing Mountain is the "new" dungeon. Why create new assets when you can recycle old ones?

BWAHAHA! Lazy and profitable!!!

It says dungeons. :eek:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i can't believe that people would love to pay full price game money for a rehash :( with a few added dungeons ..

sw26

chandoog said:
i can't believe that people would love to pay full price game money for a rehash :( with a few added dungeons ..

Well I happen to live in Europe and therefore never had the chance to play it until now legally so I'm hyped for it.

duckroll

chandoog said:

Full priced Chrono Trigger was like 90 bucks. I doubt this will be anywhere close to 90 bucks, so it's a pretty good deal!

chandoog said:

Well, who knows where my SNES copy is, and I don't have a SNES hooked up anyhow so what's wrong with buying a copy for a system I have?

duckroll said:
Full priced Chrono Trigger was like 90 bucks. I doubt this will be anywhere close to 90 bucks, so it's a pretty good deal!

I always feel the need to bring this up when people bitch about how expensive $60 games are and how much cheaper things used to be (in their heads).

Announced by Square-Enix US but not JP...? So I suppose this will be the date for the JP version as well?

And do we even have a screenshot yet? :lol

CTLance

chandoog said:
MOBILE Chrono Trigger with added stuff and touch screen controls.... are you kidding me? I'll buy that shit so hard that my greatgrandkids will still feel the burning sensation in their wallets.

For us yrops it's a bit of a better deal, I'll admit that. We never got the original.

Kreed

New dungeons (plural) would definitely be great news as opposed to the one dungeon earlier news on this title spoke of. Hopefully it's not an error.

The other bit of good news is the mention of an Arena mode. Based on the news we had before of an added multiplayer mode for up to 4 players, it's sounding like this could be some sort of vs, or a mode where people can team up against monsters. Either way this game is sounding better and better.

Scipius

sw26 said:
Well I happen to live in Europe and therefore never had the chance to play it until now legally so I'm hyped for it.

Amen. Between this and the upcoming Dragon Quest remakes Square Enix is finally making amends for ignoring us for so long.

duckroll

_leech_ said:
I always feel the need to bring this up when people bitch about how expensive $60 games are and how much cheaper things used to be (in their heads).

Well, I think it's a good indication of how long they've been gaming when they make comments like that. :)

ghibli99

Sweet! Looking forward to this. :)

_leech_ said:
To be fair, only certain games broke the $40-50 barrier (like Phantasy Star, CT, or FF2(U), which IIRC were $70) vs. today where 360/PS3 games are regularly $60.

MrDaravon

ghibli99 said:
Sweet! Looking forward to this. :)

To be fair, only certain games broke the $40-50 barrier (like Phantasy Star, CT, or FF2(U), which IIRC were $70) vs. today where 360/PS3 games are regularly $60.

What? I remember paying $60 for any number of Genesis and SNES games that weren't Square/RPGs. Also PS1 and PS4 were both $99, and I paid $80 for CT and FF3/6.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kifimbo said:
This kind of comments is so absurd.

no its not, im just stating my two cents >_> ..

i already have chrono trigger on the PSone and wouldn't bother buying another one just because its on a hand held, or has one or two extra dungeons that don't have any effect on the central plot.

but i respect other's opinions, so please have at it.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
Well, I think it's a good indication of how long they've been gaming when they make comments like that. :)

To be fair, games over $60 were mostly limited to RPGs back in the day, so people could have been playing back then, just other genres. Weren't most other SNES games $50-60, and Genesis games $40-$50?

EDIT: Oh, wow, nevermind. Street Fighter 2 for $80? I guess there were more exceptions than I remembered.

MoxManiac

Dungeons as in plural? :eek:

It's funny, I would have got this if it was a straight port. My CT SNES battery is dead, and the PSX version is well...the PSX version.

GhostSeed

SailorDaravon said:
What? I remember paying $60 for any number of Genesis and SNES games that weren't Square/RPGs. Also PS1 and PS4 were both $99, and I paid $80 for CT and FF3/6.

Yeah, I'm remember paying $60 for most SNES games and Street Fighter II was $80. :(

ltse1

_leech_ said:

I recall 79.99 for Super Mario RPG when I was a strapping young lad in Toys R Us and just looking at those yellow tickets that you had to take to the cage in order to purchase a game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
chandoog said:

i already have chrono trigger on the PSone and wouldn't bother buying another one just because its on a hand held, or has one or two extra dungeons that don't have any effect on the central plot.

doctor3_girl.jpg

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Blackjack

chandoog said:

Okay. But, um. Not everyone does? And so a handheld version is...you know, good? For those people (and there are in fact a lot of them) that either no longer have a copy of the game, or never had one in the first place.

NolbertoS

chandoog said:
the load times are a lot better if you play it on epsxe with the frameskip set to 200 :(

I recently replayed it, being excited with the DS remake and only got half way..The load times on the PSX version are just too ridiculously long for my tastes. I gave up and just waiting for the DS version now.

MoxManiac

Yaweee said:
To be fair, games over $60 were mostly limited to RPGs back in the day, so people could have been playing back then, just other genres. Weren't most other SNES games $50-60, and Genesis games $40-$50?

EDIT: Oh, wow, nevermind. Street Fighter 2 for $80? I guess there were more exceptions than I remembered.

Many more exceptions. I remember asking for Megaman X for christmas and my grandmother supposedly almost falling over at the price ($75)

Top Bottom