• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS - Extra Dungeons and Monster battling feature detailed

duckroll

Toys'r'us has revealed on their site's product page for CT DS that the game will feature a substantial Monster Battling minigame. It says that you can breed about 50 different monsters, and that the strongest monsters that fight in the arena can win rare items. You can also use the DS' wireless system to challenge your friends' monsters. It's not specificed how you go about getting monsters and leveling them up in the first place, but it does sound like quite a cool addition to the game.

Edit: More stuff!

Aeana said:
Well, we have some information about the two dungeons. It's pretty vague, but it sounds interesting.

Dimensional Distortion
A mysterious dungeon suddenly appears. Travel through time to overcome the challenges, and reach the depths to claim a hidden power. Clearing the different parts of the dungeon will affect the End of Time in some way.

Dragon's Sanctuary
In the last leg of the story, new gates to prehistoric times and the middle ages suddenly appear. Within the dungeon, one will have to complete various requests to continue. The quests gradually increase in difficulty, and you may have to go to a different era in order to continue. Help the reptites to reach the innermost parts of the dungeon. What could be waiting there...?

duckroll said:
There's also more info available on the Monster battling feature too. It says that you have the "train" the monsters to get them stronger, and as they get stronger their appearances will change as well.

Aeana

It's nice to have a bit more insight into the monster battling system. Dragona mentioned it, but didn't go into detail.

I do wonder how you'll level up monsters, though. Will they join your party? Or will it just be like DQ8?

Teknoman

Aeana said:
It's nice to have a bit more insight into the monster battling system. Dragona mentioned it, but didn't go into detail.

I do wonder how you'll level up monsters, though. Will they join your party? Or will it just be like DQ8?

As long as you can name them. Wasnt the game supposed to have wi-fi gameplay added as well?

Teknoman

RadioHeadAche said:
That sounds pretty cool. Finally, something I can look forward to for this system.

1731060165_79e5a15914_o.jpg

Teknoman said:

Hahaha...oh my.

I don't really play a lot of handheld games (especially RPGs), and I'm afraid I haven't heard much about it to justify a purchase. Of course, I've never really given much attention to the series.

I just don't like the the idea of them tinkering around with the game to add this in. The extra dungeon I'm fine with but shoe horning in a monster battling mini-game? Maybe it would bother me a bit less if this wasn't a glorified port of a SNES game.

jaundicejuice said:
I just don't like the the idea of them tinkering around with the game to add this in. The extra dungeon I'm fine with but shoe horning in a monster battling mini-game? Maybe it would bother me a bit less if this wasn't a glorified port of a SNES game.

You could still play the original version. It's not like that copy disappears off the face of the earth once this ships.

I could do that, I used to drag out the SNES every couple of years to re-play Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid.

I'm just kind of torn about this port, on one hand I want to buy and support it because it's Chrono Trigger with extra dungeons, the closest thing to a new Chrono game we'll likely ever get but on the other hand it's just a port, slightly modified for the platform it's on and now they're starting to tinker with it.

jaundicejuice said:
I could do that, I used to drag out the SNES every couple of years to re-play Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid.

I'm just kind of torn about this port, on one hand I want to buy and support it because it's Chrono Trigger with extra dungeons, the closest thing to a new Chrono game we'll likely ever get but on the other hand it's just a port, slightly modified for the platform it's on and now they're starting to tinker with it.

Wait, so do you want 'just a port', or do you want an enhanced game?

Dreavus

I wonder if the monster battles work just like the in-game ones, or if it'll be something completely different. Active 3v3 battles against friends with your party of monsters would be really cool.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I just watched a few gameplay videos and the music is exactly the same. Wasn't it going to be touched up?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Teetris said:
I just watched a few gameplay videos and the music is exactly the same. Wasn't it going to be touched up?
They were mostly referring to how the PSX version had really lousy music and that they were going to make the DS port's music sound as similar to the SNES music as possible.

Yottamole

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
Hahaha...oh my.

I don't really play a lot of handheld games (especially RPGs), and I'm afraid I haven't heard much about it to justify a purchase. Of course, I've never really given much attention to the series.
But do give the series a try when you find the time! Really, anyone into the RPG genre should at least try the series once even if just for a historical lesson of how Japanese RPG came into existence.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
jaundicejuice said:

Adding new features to a port of game? Wow, ruining it confirmed!

MoxManiac

jaundicejuice said:

I'm pretty sure this extra monster battling stuff is off to the side and can be ignored completely if you so desire.

Pureauthor said:
Wait, so do you want 'just a port', or do you want an enhanced game?

The whole enhanced game thing just seems kind of half-assed because it's just touch screen functionality, an extra dungeon and a shoehorned random, disparate new gameplay element. I love the sound of extra dungeons (or maybe it's just dungeon), I expect touchscreen functionality given the platform but a monster collection and battling mini-game? I don't know, that just seems kind of like a cynical move to give the game an extra bullet point. I don't know if the extra dungeon(s) or monster collection/battle mini-game will add or detract from the experience, I'm not saying the game is ruined like the meme one-liner spouting jackass implied. All I'm saying is I don't know if I like them tinkering around with what's largely a straight port.

In the end I'll likely get it because it's Chrono Trigger and it's on the DS, the only thing I'll have any real time to play for the next seven months.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Easy_D said:
They were mostly referring to how the PSX version had really lousy music and that they were going to make the DS port's music sound as similar to the SNES music as possible.
Then, what's Mitsuda's role for the game? Just recreate everything?

Yottamol said:
But do give the series a try when you find the time! Really, anyone into the RPG genre should at least try the series once even if just for a historical lesson of how Japanese RPG came into existence.

I've thought about DQVIII in the past, but I never got around to playing it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Recreating the SNES sound on the DS is a big enough task, IMHO. CT had one the most amazing soundtracks on the system, sheerly by technical merits, if you don't think so from a composition-standpoint.

I hope they throw the unreleased tracks back into the game, and reimplement the full theme for Frog!

I hear that the PSOne cinematics are already in, yes?

Fireblend

Banned
Does Mitsuda even has a place in the DS port? couldn't they just hire someone to "port" the songs? I mean he's a composer, his job's done :p

Fireblend said:
Does Mitsuda even has a place in the DS port? couldn't they just hire someone to "port" the songs? I mean he's a composer, his job's done :p
He's trying to do anything besides work on the Chrono Cross Arrange Album.

That or warming up for a new entry into the series :p

Mejilan said:
Didn't he promise that the CC Arrange album would be ready around Christmas 2006?

:(
It was originally supposed to be July 2005, then Christmas 2006. What has happened since then is anybody's guess.

Rpgmonkey

The more stuff I hear about this, the more I think I'm actually going to buy it.

PolyGone said:
so do we know if CT DS has the anime cinemas from the PS1 version?

Yeah, it was confirmed IIRC.

Oh i thought the arena would just be CT characters fighting online. This has way more potential to be good. I guess they fight automatically ala DQ monster arenas?

Yottamole

Banned
Baryn said:
This feature is not enough to make me buy the game a third time. Fuck you, Square.
It's Enix that's releasing the game now; Enix absorbed Square to become Square Enix, and the company follows former Enix's company strategies more so than former Square's.

Top Bottom