• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS - Extra Dungeons and Monster battling feature detailed

jaundicejuice said:
I don't know, that just seems kind of like a cynical move to give the game an extra bullet point.

How on Earth is that more cynical than, say, just releasing an identical port of a game you've already played with no UI improvements or new content to experience?

charlequin said:
How on Earth is that more cynical than, say, just releasing an identical port of a game you've already played with no UI improvements or new content to experience?

I'm not sure why you chose to cherry pick that one line out of my post but...

It isn't but I think this "enhanced" Chrono Trigger port would've been more palatable as a GBA release, the amount of effort that's being placed in it looks like it is about on par with the FF GBA titles. Compared to other SE re-releases on the DS--Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IV--Chrono Trigger looks downright fucking lazy. They're plopping in the original game with some added content that sounds awesome and some that...well, like I've stated multiple times, I don't know what to think of it

Do I like Chrono Trigger, yes. Do I want to support the series, yes, hey I liked Cross too. Would I like to see future titles in the series, yes, see the above answer. Do I like how port and remake happy Square-Enix is, it depends. Do I want to reward Square-Enix for being lazy? Do I want to pay the SE tax for a game that Square had to create a new sub-term for a port? The answer to the last two questions conflict with the answers to the first three.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
jaundicejuice said:
I'm not sure why you chose to cherry pick that one line out of my post but...

It isn't but I think this "enhanced" Chrono Trigger port would've been more palatable as a GBA release, the amount of effort that's being placed in it looks like it is about on par with the FF GBA titles. Compared to other SE re-releases on the DS--Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IV--Chrono Trigger looks downright fucking lazy. They're plopping in the original game with some added content that sounds awesome and some that...well, like I've stated multiple times, I don't know what to think of it

Do I like Chrono Trigger, yes. Do I want to support the series, yes, hey I liked Cross too. Would I like to see future titles in the series, yes, see the above answer. Do I like how port and remake happy Square-Enix is, it depends. Do I want to reward Square-Enix for being lazy? Do I want to pay the SE tax for a game that Square had to create a new sub-term for a port? The answer to the last two questions conflict with the answers to the first three.

Agree. I just beat CT for the first time earlier this year too on my Snes. Really not sure if I wanna lay down the cash and pay the Square tax...

jaundicejuice said:
It isn't but I think this "enhanced" Chrono Trigger port would've been more palatable as a GBA release, the amount of effort that's being placed in it looks like it is about on par with the FF GBA titles.

Why are you judging a game based on the amount of "effort"? Why aren't you judging a game based on the product you are receiving?

The concept of porting an old, impossible to find game to a newer console is an old idea. It's been done before with FF games and even with Chrono Trigger. That in itself can be seen as a cash grab, but when there's a huge audience of people who can't legitimately play the game it's really a symbiotic action -- gamers get to play the game and the company gets to make money. If for whatever reason you don't feel the need to buy another copy of CT, you're not the target audience for this release anyway and there's no reason you shouldn't just skip it.

Compared to other SE re-releases on the DS--Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IV--Chrono Trigger looks downright fucking lazy.

Why are you lumping those titles together when FF3/4 are bottom-up remakes while DQ4 is almost exactly like CT -- a port of a game appearing on another console, with the same art assets and very close to the same content?

I don't see any problem with DQ4 because it opens the game up to a whole new audience who couldn't play it before, and at this point -- like thirteen years after Chrono Trigger originally came out, and ten since its last legitimate release anywhere -- the same is true of CT.

charlequin said:
Why are you judging a game based on the amount of "effort"? Why aren't you judging a game based on the product you are receiving?

The concept of porting an old, impossible to find game to a newer console is an old idea. It's been done before with FF games and even with Chrono Trigger. That in itself can be seen as a cash grab, but when there's a huge audience of people who can't legitimately play the game it's really a symbiotic action -- gamers get to play the game and the company gets to make money. If for whatever reason you don't feel the need to buy another copy of CT, you're not the target audience for this release anyway and there's no reason you shouldn't just skip it.

Why are you lumping those titles together when FF3/4 are bottom-up remakes while DQ4 is almost exactly like CT -- a port of a game appearing on another console, with the same art assets and very close to the same content?

I don't see any problem with DQ4 because it opens the game up to a whole new audience who couldn't play it before, and at this point -- like thirteen years after Chrono Trigger originally came out, and ten since its last legitimate release anywhere -- the same is true of CT.

DQIV looks particularly better than CT does, though (the DS version). The PSX/DS version worked wonders in improving the game visually, CT doesn't really do anything at all in that capacity.

A Link to the Snitch said:
DQIV looks particularly better than CT does, though

A game with extremely competent spritework and solid environment design looks better than one of the most enduringly well-crafted sprite works in all of gaming?

This is part of why I don't get the "remake CT!" thing. FF4 is kind of an unattractive game in its original form; it's got bad tiles and lousy backgrounds. Remaking it is great -- it lets the original artwork shine out more, gives some of the locations more heft, and so on. Same goes even moreso for FF3 and DQ4 which started out on the NES.

But Chrono Trigger already looks great. I think you could jazz up the battle animations, but that's really about it! I'd be hard pressed to see anything else (besides I guess, like, DQ8's engine) really doing justice to the designs and capturing the charm that's slathered over every inch of this game.

KTallguy

Banned
Himuro said:
Why would you want, probably the best looking snes rpg of all time remade with ugly ds 3d?

I dunno, I played the original at least twice.

As it stands, this won't do a thing for me. But maybe I'm not the target audience, so my opinion is moot.

At least... redraw the sprites, or do something special...

Like... if there was an extra dungeon, or things that were cut out of the game were remade and included, I'd totally bite. But this is just a rehash with a monster sim mode... I think it's great for people who haven't experienced the awesomeness of CT though.

duckroll

KTallguy said:
Like... if there was an extra dungeon, or things that were cut out of the game were remade and included, I'd totally bite.

Hmmmm..... Aeana should have something interesting posted soon!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
A game with extremely competent spritework and solid environment design looks better than one of the most enduringly well-crafted sprite works in all of gaming?

This is part of why I don't get the "remake CT!" thing. FF4 is kind of an unattractive game in its original form; it's got bad tiles and lousy backgrounds. Remaking it is great -- it lets the original artwork shine out more, gives some of the locations more heft, and so on. Same goes even moreso for FF3 and DQ4 which started out on the NES.

But Chrono Trigger already looks great. I think you could jazz up the battle animations, but that's really about it! I'd be hard pressed to see anything else (besides I guess, like, DQ8's engine) really doing justice to the designs and capturing the charm that's slathered over every inch of this game.

CC2's Ulimate Ninja Storm engine would be nice

it's no secret this is pretty much Chrono Trigger Advance - which isn't a bad thing by any means. Chrono Trigger is Chrono Trigger.

but doing a near-direct port in 2008 and charging $40 is a little wonky, i don't think there's any way around that

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tyrone Slothrop said:
it's no secret this is pretty much Chrono Trigger Advance - which isn't a bad thing by any means. Chrono Trigger is Chrono Trigger.

but doing a near-direct port in 2008 and charging $40 is a little wonky, i don't think there's any way around that

u know...u don`t have to buy it :)

They did this just a year and a half ago with FFVI Advance. Sure, it's on the DS now, but I wouldn't really have wanted CT shoe-horned onto GBA. In fact, I'd have paid $5 more for FFVIa to have been a DS game and keep its music intact.

Hive

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
They did this just a year and a half ago with FFVI Advance. Sure, it's on the DS now, but I wouldn't really have wanted CT shoe-horned onto GBA. In fact, I'd have paid $5 more for FFVIa to have been a DS game and keep its music intact.

When they release these 3D remakes, I really wish their 2D counterparts were included in the disk. I'd pay $5 more for that. :/

Aeana

Well, we have some information about the two dungeons. It's pretty vague, but it sounds interesting.

Dimensional Distortion
A mysterious dungeon suddenly appears. Travel through time to overcome the challenges, and reach the depths to claim a hidden power. Clearing the different parts of the dungeon will affect the End of Time in some way.

Dragon's Sanctuary
In the last leg of the story, new gates to prehistoric times and the middle ages suddenly appear. Within the dungeon, one will have to complete various requests to continue. The quests gradually increase in difficulty, and you may have to go to a different era in order to continue. Help the reptites to reach the innermost parts of the dungeon. What could be waiting there...?

marwan

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
Sure, just send me $20 and I'll go out and grab it.

if you can't spend $20 on one of the best and legendary RPGs ever made, then you have a serious problem!

seriously, not playing DQ8 is like saying i didn't play Mario Galaxy on the Wii, Super Mario World on the SNES, FF7 on the PS1.....ya' dig?

Hive

Banned
Aeana said:
Well, we have some information about the two dungeons. It's pretty vague, but it sounds interesting.

Dimensional Distortion
A mysterious dungeon suddenly appears. Travel through time to overcome the challenges, and reach the depths to claim a hidden power. Clearing the different parts of the dungeon will affect the End of Time in some way.

Dragon's Sanctuary
In the last leg of the story, new gates to prehistoric times and the middle ages suddenly appear. Within the dungeon, one will have to complete various requests to continue. The quests gradually increase in difficulty, and you may have to go to a different era in order to continue. Help the reptites to reach the innermost parts of the dungeon. What could be waiting there...?

that sounds like a ton of new content~ Thanks Aeana. Maybe even some new music tracks will be added as well.. ?

duckroll

There's also more info available on the Monster battling feature too. It says that you have the "train" the monsters to get them stronger, and as they get stronger their appearances will change as well.

marwan said:
if you can't spend $20 on one of the best and legendary RPGs ever made, then you have a serious problem!

seriously, not playing DQ8 is like saying i didn't play Mario Galaxy on the Wii, Super Mario World on the SNES, FF7 on the PS1.....ya' dig?

Well, I didn't play Mario Galaxy nor did I play Super Mario World on the SNES(only because I have never owned one). Those games don't interest me, and I really doubt not playing them is a serious problem for me. I wouldn't mind playing DQVIII at some point, but there are many more games I would rather play if I had the money.

Rpgmonkey

Aeana said:

Dimensional Distortion

Dragon's Sanctuary

Hmm, new Spekio form for the first and a secret boss/item for the second?

Either way, sounds cool, and at least it makes use of time-traveling. :)

Jiggy

Dragon's Sanctuary sounds cool, although I do get at least a little bit worried whenever I hear about taking requests in RPGs. :p Hopefully we're not talking about the backtracking kind of requests here. As for Dimensional Distortion, that sounds like it could be totally awesome for me if it's been handled correctly.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure whether I hope these will be really lengthy extra content because they'll be the only new parts to me, or whether I hope they'll be really short so that I'd be willing to play through them on every New Game+ run. I guess I win either way, though, so hey. :)

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sure, it's on the DS now, but I wouldn't really have wanted CT shoe-horned onto GBA. In fact, I'd have paid $5 more for FFVIa to have been a DS game and keep its music intact.
Same. I really wanted it to be the definitive version, and in some ways it is, but that music...

vareon

Aeana said:

Dimensional Distortion

Dragon's Sanctuary

Good, looks like this erases my doubt whether to buy it or not.

Link1110

Aeana said:
Dimensional Distortion
Sounds like Final Fantasy 5.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:
Same. I really wanted it to be the definitive version, and in some ways it is, but that music...

Still has better music than the PSX version, and heck, I prefer some of the tunes to the SNES version. Others not so much. The new script is ok, the new content is a good extra two hours and the bug fixes make low level games hard again. It's basically tied in my mind with the SNES version.

I have little doubt that they did an even better job on CT DS.

Aeana said:

Dimensional Distortion

Dragon's Sanctuary

HOLY SHIT. I was expecting one lame, end game dungeon that had no real consequence other then a cool item or something. These sound completely awesome. I was skeptical before, CT is in my top three games of all time but I couldn't justify spending $40 on a bare-bones remake. Two extra dungeons and both of them span multiple eras? SOLD.

Aeana said:

Dimensional Distortion

Dragon's Sanctuary

Sweet fucking god yes.

Yaweee

baphometbones said:
HOLY SHIT. I was expecting one lame, end game dungeon that had no real consequence other then a cool item or something. These sound completely awesome. I was skeptical before, CT is in my top three games of all time but I couldn't justify spending $40 on a bare-bones remake. Two extra dungeons and both of them span multiple eras? SOLD.

Yeah, now I'm tempted too. I wonder how many different endings will be added to the game, and if they'll be related to these side dungeons. Alternate Final Bosses, perhaps? I can't see completing one of the dungeons precluding the regular ending when you beat the normal last boss.

Fireblend

Banned
No singing mountain? I want singing mountain. Maybe they'll use that song on the prehistoric dungeon so all is good in the world.

Himuro said:
DQIV ds does not look better than CT, on a purely artistic level. The sprites in battle, maybe, but that's it.

The point is that there's so much stuff SE could have done that would have not alienated fans of the SNES version, but also make it look much sharper.

Llyranor

Those two dungeons are crap. What is this, a freaking remake? I was promised a port. This tosses authenticity out the window. My cynicism is at an all-time high.

Farnack

Banned
Llyranor said:
Those two dungeons are crap. What is this, a freaking remake? I was promised a port. This tosses authenticity out the window. My cynicism is at an all-time high.
It's more like an addon to the port.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What? No additions? Am I supposed to buy the game a third time? NO BUY!
What? Additions? I was promised a port, not a remake, dammit! NO BUY!
I love you guys.

Day one for me.

A Link to the Snitch said:
The point is that there's so much stuff SE could have done that would have not alienated fans of the SNES version, but also make it look much sharper.

The DS resolution is slightly smaller than the SNES, so it's not like they would be redrawing new, bigger sprites... and I feel confident that 3D environments wouldn't hold a candle to CT's gorgeous backdrops. So.. like what, exactly? :lol

Llyranor

I don't see why being hugely disappointed at having 2 whole dungeons shoved down your throat is any different than being insulted by some touch screen monster-battling minigame. Extra content is still extra content! We should all be skeptical!

In any case, I've never actually owned the game (a friend lent it to me back in the SNES days), so this is pretty much a no-brainer.

charlequin said:
The DS resolution is slightly smaller than the SNES, so it's not like they would be redrawing new, bigger sprites... and I feel confident that 3D environments wouldn't hold a candle to CT's gorgeous backdrops. So.. like what, exactly? :lol

I guess that there's nothing SE can do to improve it - it's not like SE is known for making quality visuals. You act like you have reason to believe that there's no room for improvement, but are actually basing these statements on nothing more than your own guess of how it would be - kind of reminds me how people "knew" Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword would suck because it used the touch screen for almost everything. Wonder how that turned out?

But golly, some people sure do take offense to people saying that they wanted more in a DS port. Hope you don't lose sleep over five people asking for more enhancements to the game.

Fireblend

Banned
Llyranor said:
I don't see why being hugely disappointed at having 2 whole dungeons shoved down your throat is any different than being insulted by some touch screen monster-battling minigame. Extra content is still extra content! We should all be skeptical!

In any case, I've never actually owned the game (a friend lent it to me back in the SNES days), so this is pretty much a no-brainer.

If it has anything to do with the Chrono franchise, SE can shove anything they want down my throat for all I care :lol also I don't see how adding some new optional content is forcing anything on anyone.

As for the visuals... I have always loved Chrono Trigger's, and I think they're on par if not better than anything else on the DS. 3D would have never done justice, as good as the FF ports turned out, and sprites are beautiful. Actually we need more games with visuals similar to CT's

The Hermit

Aeana said:

Dimensional Distortion

Dragon's Sanctuary

:O

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, Chrono Trigger's pure 2D visuals were rarely matched by later RPGs, IMHO, regardless of platform.

Top Bottom