• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger turns 21! - A retrospective

Best game ever! (CT and OoT <3)

Best ost ever! ( Peaceful days!)

I would love a 3DS (with 3D effect, I know that I can play the DS one) remake with amiibos. <3

chadboban

One of my all time favorite games and easily one of the greatest games ever made. I'd love a remake but the game is so timeless that I wonder if it'd even be necessary.

Indelible

Still my favorite game after all these years, it was basically the game that turned gaming into more than just a hobby for me.

Scum

PqX0YWe.jpg

This is the high point of gaming so far.

0q76ono.gif

Chrono Trigger is that one game where there was a galactic alignment where everything perfect fell into place.

Dream team all at the peak of their careers. I doubt we'll see anything like this anytime soon.

Bravocado

My favorite game of all time, and every time I recommend it to someone, even if it is over two decades old, they're always blown away by it.

MrDaravon

God I am so old :(

CT is still easily in my top 5 games of all time though. It's so good, and such an unlikely combination of people and factors came into it even happening.

Gonna have a drink for my Trigga. I could only imagine how different the gaming world would be had this been a launchgame for the Nintendo PlayStation...

Varna

Is there anyone on GAF that likes Cross more than Trigger?

I do believe Trigger is a better put together and having focusing on a much smaller cast has it's obvious advantages but I still prefer Cross. Just enjoy the scope of the story and the overall tone of the game much more. Although the game didn't have the time travel aspect to spice up the locals it still managed to have an absurd amount of variety (Chronopolis, Dead Sea, Terra Tower, Viper Manor, etc). Game also enhanced a bit of having lots of choices throughout the story in how to handle events. Combat wasn't as fine tuned, but it allowed a lot more freedom in how to handle encounters. Music was ace of course.

Yeah, the Trigger cast got shafted big in that game I won't lie. They could have left it a bit more ambiguous... but I won't lie I kind of liked that side of the story too. Doing that kind of stuff should have big repercussions. It is a big shift in tone though.

I played the game a lot before I had proper internet and reading through some guides much later on I pretty much discovered just about everything. Took so many playthroughs but the game had enough variety throughout to keep it interesting.

A lot of people, including in this thread and including me. Both games are fantastic in their own rights though, and the whole Maru Island stuff explains why Sakaguchi (executive producer of CC) entrusted the CC project to Tanaka and Kato.

Interestingly, some of the ideas from Maru Island/Secret of Mana made their way into CC. For example, the elemental dragons who merge into a divine Mana Beast/Dragon God. The location name Gaia's Navel was also reused in CC (spelled Gaea's Navel in the English version). I also wonder if Horii showed Kato his designs docs for Dragon Quest VI when the two had meetings at Horii's place, because both DQVI and CC use a concept of two parallel worlds being connected and the real world not being the obvious of the two.

Krammy

Over 20 years and we still don't have a sequel.

Chrono Cross doesn't count. Chrono Cross will never count.

Seriously though, Chrono Trigger is one of my GOAT's. I can't think of a single thing I actually dislike about it, it's all just varying degree's of good to amazing. Also great OP, some of those dev quotes are fantastic!

Ishida

Banned
Over 20 years and we still don't have a sequel.

Chrono Cross doesn't count. Chrono Cross will never count.

Seriously though, Chrono Trigger is one of my GOAT's. I can't think of a single thing I actually dislike about it, it's all just varying degree's of good to amazing. Also great OP, some of those dev quotes are fantastic!

Chrono Cross is the absolute perfect sequel for Trigger.

I like them both equally, giving the slight edge to Cross for expanding the lore of that world.

Varna

Like I said above, I prefer it... but it really isn't. It feels incredibly disconnected. It's like if DBZ suddenly turned into Evangelion.

Another RPG I can think of that had such a drastic change is tone was SW:KOTOR 2. It just feels so different even with the mechanics being the same.

Ishida

Banned
Like I said above, I prefer it... but it really isn't. It feels incredibly disconnected.

I don't get this. How exactly does it feel disconnected? Pretty much every plot point in Cross depends entirely on the plot of Trigger.

The world map of Cross would not even exist without the time travel shenanigans from the original. What exactly do you mean?

daegan

There are not many games that I can say changed my life, but this is definitely the biggest one. I wish I could share the way I feel about it with everyone, but for now I'll console myself with that so many people agree with me.

Varna

I don't get this. How exactly does it feel disconnected? Pretty much every plot point in Cross depends entirely on the plot of Trigger.

The world map of Cross would not even exist without the time travel shenanigans from the original. What exactly do you mean?

I didn't say there wasn't any story connecting the two, merely that the drastic change is tone makes the games feel like they aren't connected. I gave a couple of examples. Trigger is a pretty lighthearted game throughout with the future stuff obviously being a bit of a downer, but it's a fun adventure plot. Pretty straight forward, very black and white with it's morality. Cross is not like this at all and it pretty much adds all kind of implications to the vents of the first game.

Ishida

Banned
I didn't say there wasn't any story connecting the two, merely that the drastic change is tone makes the games feel like they aren't connected. I gave a couple of examples. Trigger is a pretty lighthearted game throughout with the future stuff obviously being a bit of a downer, but it's a fun adventure plot. Pretty straight forward, very black and white with it's morality. Cross is not like this at all and it pretty much adds all kind of implications to the vents of the first game.

Oh I see. So you mean the tone. That's actually what I loved from Cross from the beginning, the massive change in tone. :p

poodaddy

The only RPG I've beaten over twenty times and the best damn game of all time. This was a great write up and I actually learned a lot about my favorite game that I didn't know, so thanks for that OP. In other news, Chrono Trigger can drink now guys! Ill dedicate an ale to Chrono Trigger tonight.

Krammy

I'll give credit where it's due and say it's a good game and has a wonderful soundtrack, but without key members of the original dream team (Toriyama's familiar design, and Horii's direction), it might as well be a different franchise entirely. The fact that it serves as a continuation to Radical Dreamers, which was only shoehorned into a Chrono game at the end says enough I think.

Really though, like most things, it boils down to personal opinion I guess. As you said, you're happy with the drastic changes that were made, where others like myself don't care for them.

I'll give credit where it's due and say it's a good game and has a wonderful soundtrack, but without key members of the original dream team (Toriyama's familiar design, and Horii's direction), it might as well be a different franchise entirely. The fact that it serves as a continuation to Radical Dreamers, which was only shoehorned into a Chrono game at the end says enough I think.

Really though, like most things, it boils down to personal opinion I guess. As you said, you're happy with the drastic changes that were made, where others like myself don't care for them.

This kind of difference between the two games is not unheard of in other successful "pairs" of stories. The Hobbit -> The Lord of the Rings for example. Visually, the change between Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle is also pretty drastic yet these are two point-and-click adventure game masterpieces.

Toriyama's influence on Chrono Trigger was really just visual anyway. He worked at his own Bird Studio, sending drawings to Square through mail or something. Kato, Sakaguchi and Square were the people who were creating most the character designs and Toriyama was just used as someone to re-draw them cleanly. There is also no artwork for any of the Zeal locations since that was done by Kato on his own.

For Chrono Cross, Tanaka handpicked Nobuteru Yuki, the character designer for Secret of Mana 2. But it was still Kato and other Square people who actually created the original character designs (you can see some in the artbook Missing Piece). Anyway, from a developer's point of view all these different franchises are crossbred and intertwined all the time in terms of ideas and people. I just think it's pretty cool. Even Yasunori Mitsuda jumped to Chrono Trigger from Tanaka's team, as he was the sound effect designer for Secret of Mana.

It's true that Horii is a great supervisor though. Chrono Cross could have used some polish at the end, whether with Horii or Sakaguchi or anyone. It should be noted that for Chrono Trigger, the timelines and interviews seem to suggest that Horii was heavily involved only for the first half of development, while Sakaguchi got his hands dirty mostly in the last rush. Horii was probably busy with Dragon Quest VI at the end (DQVI was set to be released in 1994 but got delayed to December 1995), while the cancelation of FFVII SNES made Sakaguchi free to work on CT more closely.

Kitase: "Even at the very end, just before the final deadline, Sakaguchi was saying we should add extra scenes to flesh out the characters. Tokita did Marle&#8217;s scenes, and I did Lucca&#8217;s."

Lastly, Chrono Cross is not quite a continuation of Radical Dreamers. It's an expanded remake.

Wasn't that game only made in a couple of months?

Yup, it was made in only three months and the team were basically writing as they went along, so they never got to properly finish it (I guess in that sense CC is a "continuation", but it does rewrite everything instead of starting where RD ended).

Square actually wanted to include RD as a bonus in CT PSX, and then in CT DS, but both times Kato refused because he felt RD's writing was too rough to release as is. We English-speaking fans never quite got to experience the real RD, since fantranslator Demiforce actually edited the script slightly to improve it, when he did his English fantranslation. For example, he edited the parts where Magus karate-chops goblins or something, because it was silly, and he replaced the term "Time Egg" with the more blatant "Chrono Trigger" for maximum referencing.

vaejvDnl.jpg

Masato Kato's concept sketch for Kid and Serge

The Xenogears project actually started out as Chrono Trigger 2, after Soraya Saga's FF concept was deemed too wacky by Sakaguchi to be FFVII. But it quickly took a different direction.

So this thread inspired me to replay CT for the first time since it was released on the DS and, man, it was even better than I remembered. So far ahead of it's time....

A question though- how does the game actually track the different endings you get? Is it kept under a separate save? I know about New Game+, of course, but my question is if I get to a decision point, save, beat the game and get one ending, can I just reload the previous save and get another ending and still have it properly recorded in the Ending File? Or do I have to do it all in the same save slot?

My love for chrono trigger is so big i rom hacked it and translated it to spanish.
We got to 80% and 40% of it was in shitty auto translator called spanwin.
Still it was a legendary hack and i still find the ips online sometimes

ReyBrujo

I always struggle when I must point to the best SNES roleplaying game. In the end I side with FFVI (I own both), but Chrono Trigger still amazes me. So many surprises, so many ideas! I run through every single final, that much I liked it. I'm afraid of turning it on and discovering my saved games are all deleted, though.

My highlight was actually a bug: while playing in Ayla's era, I remember I was fighting three or so pterodactyls, I tried to run while doing a special attack, and the game began glitching. I can't remember if the battle ended or if I ran away successfully, but when I returned to the inventory screen, I had items that I didn't before, the amounts were wrong, some were at 0, some had symbols... basically I reproduced Relm's bug in FFVI with CT. Ah, those times...

One way I look at the difference between a good game and a great game is that as time goes on you notice the flaws more in a game that is merely good, while you appreciate the virtues more of a game that is truly great. By that standard, Chrono Trigger is great.

BasilZero

One of my most favorite games of all time.

I played it at least 10 times (9 times on SNES and once on PSX) - still need to play the NDS version.

Cross is a damn good game. A testimony of square golden era.

Problem was that all of the optimism and charm of trigger dissapeared. That and going the suikoden route with many shitty chars.

PhaZZe

Banned
my best game ever, the music, graphics, scenario, story, all amazing
They should release a PC version , square cmon use the same android version and release it on PC, i will buy it

Flakster99

The complete package. The high point of the genre for me. That camp scene.. stayed with me for years.

Launch day, $146 Canadian well spent.

My highlight was actually a bug: while playing in Ayla's era, I remember I was fighting three or so pterodactyls, I tried to run while doing a special attack, and the game began glitching. I can't remember if the battle ended or if I ran away successfully, but when I returned to the inventory screen, I had items that I didn't before, the amounts were wrong, some were at 0, some had symbols... basically I reproduced Relm's bug in FFVI with CT. Ah, those times...

Interesting, especially since CT was a relatively bug-free game compared to its cousins of the same era (FFVI, Secret of Mana, etc.).

dLMN8R

Glad I found this thread, nice to relive the memories :)

After not playing Chrono Trigger for more than a decade, I finally picked it up for DS and plan to play through it again on my 3DS.

Since I've played it through a couple times before, I'd like to try something different this time - I want to partially use a guide to miss cool side stories and optional missions I missed the other times around.

Anyone have a recommendation for a guide I could look at that might show me some things I missed the other times I played the game entirely on my own?

[edit] oooo searching around GAF, looks like this was made by a GAFfer. Will check it out: http://www.terrisus.com/guides/chronotrigger.html

Top Bottom