• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrontendo Thread of playing The Good, The Bad, The Ugly of the Famicom/NES

ChrontendoLogo.jpg

One of my favorite web series is Chrontendo, a long running series that really doesn't seem to get any love. Its an amazing series that is trying to document every single Famicom/NES game made. For those who haven't heard of the show, I've listed some info about it below as well as links to all the episodes.

The Goal
To play and document every Famicom/NES game in Chronological order,To hopefully learn something about how video games evolved and developed as a medium.

About the Show
Each episode is roughly an hour long and will cover approximately 15 games from the Famicom/NES. Dr Sparkle will play each game, give his opinions on them as well as any extra points worth bringing up such as the history of the developer or comparing the game to other versions of it. Also some episodes will have extra features such as a look at the history of Adventure games etc etc. There are also 2 sister series running called Chronsega and Chronturbo which will be covering the Sega Master System and the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine respectively

Chrontendo Blog

Chrontendo on Twitter

Below I've got a list of each episode, the timeframe it covered and any extra details covered in the episode. The Links will take you to Archive.org which will contain links for several file types for the episode for your viewing pleasure. You can also see most (if not all I believe) of the episodes on Youtube

Youtube Link

Episodes
Episode 1: July 1983 - June 1984
Episode 2: July 1984 - January 1985
Episode 3: February - June 1985
Episode 4: June - August 1985
Episdoe 5: August - November 1985 Also a look at the US Launch of the NES and the Sega Mark III
Episdoe 6: November - December 1985
Episdoe 7: December 1985 - March 1986 Also the Debut of the Famicom Disk System is covered
Episode 8: April - June 1986
Episode 9: June - August 1986
Episode 10: August - September 1986
Episode 11: September - November 1986
Episode 12: November - December 1986
Episode 13: December 1986
Episode 14: December 1986 - January 1987
Chronsega Volume 1: 1985 - September 1986
Episode 15: January - March 1987
Chronsega Volume 2: September 1986 - February 1987
Episode 16: March 1987 Also a look at the world of video games from 1984 to 1987
Episode 17: April - May 1987
Episode 18: May - June 1987
Episode 19: June - July 1987 Also, a quick look at the early days of Nintendo Power
Chronsega Volume 3: March - July 1987
Episode 20: July - August 1987 Also a brief history of developer Rare
Episode 21: August 1987
Episode 22: August - September 1987 Also a look at the computer gaming scene in 1987
Episode 23: October 1987 Also a brief history of Irem
Episode 24: October - November 1987
Episode 25: December 1987 Part 1
Chronsega Volume 4: August - December 1987
Episode 26: December 1987 Part 2
Episode 27: December 1987 - January 1988
Chronturbo Volume 1: October 1987 - July 1988
Episode 28: January 1988 - February 1988
Episode 29: March 1988
Episode 30: March 1988-April 1988
Chronsega Volume 5: December 1987 - June 1988
Episode 31: April - May 1988 Also Part 1 of a Brief History of Adventure Games
Episode 32: May - July 1988 Also Part 2 of a Brief History of Adventure Games
Episode 33: July 1988
Episode 34: August 1988
Episode 35: August - September 1988
Chronsega Volume 6: June - October 1988
Episode 36: September - October 1988
Episode 37: October - November 1988
Episode 38: November - December 1988 Also a look at Computer Games in 1988
Chronturbo Volume 2: August - December 1988
Episode 39: December 1988 Part 1
Episode 40: December 1989 Part 2
Episode 41: January 1989
Episode 42: February 1989
Episode 43: March 1989
Chronsega Volume 7: October 1988 - Mid 1989
Episode 44: April 1989 Also a look at the first year of the Game Boy
Chronturbo Volume 3: January - March 1989
Episode 45: May-June 1989
Chronsega Volume 8: Mega Drive, Oct 1988 - June 1989, Master System Summer 1989
Episode 46: June-July 1989
Chronturbo Volume 4: March 1989 - July 1989
Episode 47: July-August 1989
Episode 48: August-September 1989
Chronsega Volume 9:July 1989 - November 1989
Episode 49: September 1989 - October 1989

Episode Guides by forum member synt4x
Chrontendo
Chronsega
Chronturbo

48 episodes in (more including Chronsega & Chronturbo), around 900 games covered, 7 years on and we ain't even halfway there yet. So why not check it out and have a look at one of the greatest effort to document the history of one of the greatest and most important gaming systems ever.

LayLa

Good work. Being a Famicom collector myself I've been a big fan of this show since the early days, the presenter Dr Sparkle has a great sense of humor, very dry. He also has good taste in music!

Link Man

Banned
Just letting you know that I have bookmarked this for future watching. Nice little series, only two episodes in though (about to watch the 3rd).

Type422

Neo Member
Yeah, it's really amazing! Thanks for collecting all the links and putting them into the OT. Thread subscribed :) Chrontendo is a great watch for me, when I don't like to play something. Very relaxing and interesting too...

Edit: The same dude does the same for the Master System, namely Chronsega. Haven't watched it yet, but could be nice for Sega fans :)

Just letting you know that I have bookmarked this for future watching. Nice little series, only two episodes in though (about to watch the 3rd).
I envy you, soo many episodes to watch when you start but once you've gotten through them all, the wait for new eps can be agonizing. But for the quality of information we get, its really worth the wait.

My fav thing about this series is just learning about all the good little games I've never heard of before. Yes there was alot of crap on the systems (ALOT OF CRAP) but there are some really good little hidden gems in there that I've never heard of before.

I really hope more people check the series out as its something I think alot of people would enjoy. I really wish I had the commitment Dr Sparkle has, I would love to do something similar to this for the classic Game Boy.

Link Man

Banned
4 episodes in now. Nowadays, we talk about terrible droughts after a console's launch, but looking at the launch of the Famicom, there really isn't anything interesting for it's first two years of life.

4 episodes in now. Nowadays, we talk about terrible droughts after a console's launch, but looking at the launch of the Famicom, there really isn't anything interesting for it's first two years of life.

Well, you have to remember, games at that time were very different than what they became later on in the Famicom's life. The earliest FC games were basically single screen arcade games like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong. And at that time, those were interesting pieces of software. Actually being able to play (mostly) accurate ports of a lot of the most popular arcade games was a pretty big thing.

It really wasn't until 1985 when Super Mario Bros. came out that people began to stop and look at video games in a different light. After that, the expectations for what could, and SHOULD, be a home game slowly changed over time.

-KRS-

Huh, I didn't expect another thread about Chrontendo here. Nice job on the OP! I think there was another thread before but it's pretty much dead, and this one has a better OP anyway. Sadly there doesn't seem to be much interest for this show on GAF which is a shame. I've been hooked since I started watching in 2009 and the show has made me buy a lot of Famicom exclusives like Famicom Wars and King Kong 2 that I wouldn't have even heard of otherwise. Well I had heard about Famicom Wars before but I had never actually seen it until it was featured in Chrontendo.

It has also given me a new appreciation for the NES/FC games that I didn't have before. Before I started watching I couldn't play most NES games because they seemed so simple and boring, even though I grew up with an NES. But after seeing all the kusoge released for the Famicom you really get a whole different perspective on things, and you realize that those "simple and boring" games were actually quite good for their time. It also gives you a different perspective on the games you already know are great. For example, Super Mario Bros.. I already knew it was a groundbreaking game but when it shows up in Chrontendo there's such a strong contrast, and such a huge leap forward in game design, compared to everything that came before it on the Famicom that you can really appreciate what it did for gaming in a whole different way.

For your download manager's needs. The direct download link (from Archive.org) for every single episode. The whole thing is about 27GB in size.

Damn, nice work! I've already downloaded every episode in the past but this would've saved me a ton of time. :p

I've made this little text document for my own convenience which lists all the episodes and the games in them if anyone is interested. Good for finding out which episode a specific game was in. It's just the text that is written on the archive page for the episodes. One or two episodes doesn't have a game listing though, because Dr. Sparkle didn't provide one and I've been too lazy to fix it myself. Every episode listed has a link to the blog post though so you can find everything there.

You can get it here.

Yeah, there isn't really a lot of interest among most gaf users for old games in general, particularly the history behind those games.

But for anybody who has an interest in video game history, these videos are absolutely fantastic. I've actually been watching them off and on all day.

Roto13

So I've watched the first three episodes so far and it's really interesting. I love seeing all of these games I've never heard of, and I especially love seeing games I remember playing 20+ years ago but haven't heard anything about since then. Like Formation Z! I took one look at it and was like "Hey, isn't this that game I played when I was 4 where the little running dude could jump up into the air and turn into a fighter jet?" Then he did, and it was awesome.

I'm definitely hooked. Thanks for gathering all of these episodes together. And linking to them in the Nintendo Downloads thread so I remembered to watch them. :p

EDIT: "Temco." Credibility lost.

EDIT 2: This guy pronounces many things wrong. "Replentish." "Carrotekka" (Karateka).

-KRS-

Haha, yes I've also been annoyed about the Tecmo/Temco thing. I don't understand how he could get it wrong in the first place. If it was only the name of the company, sure. But it's even in the title of a game (Tecmo Bowl, which I think he was referring to when he said Temco the first time.) Maybe he was thinking of Kemco. In later episodes he seems to get it right though so there's that. :p I haven't really found other misspronounciations to be annoying though.

It only gets better the more episodes you watch though, both because he got more competent at doing this and because the games themselves get more interesting. Wait until you get past the SMB episode (Ep. 5) for example. After that game came out, more games tried to be as ambitious as SMB and therefore more interesting and deeper. And then Episode 7 is the one with Zelda, so after that the bar was raised even higher. My favorites are the quirky and experimental games though. Always interesting to learn about those.

I hope we get Chronsega 8 soon. Feels like forever between episodes nowadays, though I understand he's busy. And apparently one of the games for this episode is taking longer than expected. I don't remember which one it was now though. He released a trailer for the episode (lol) a while ago but I don't watch/read any previews of this show since I like to go in fresh.

BearChair

He said the game taking so long was Phantasy Star 2, but he posted on his blog that he just beat it, and the episode should be out soon.

A few months back I watched every episode while making dinner each night. I think Chronturbo is my favorite just for all the cool games I've never heard of.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've been tuning into this series for about 2 years now and try to hype it up on GAF whenever possible. Glad to see Chronsega 8 is finally up, was waiting for a while for that one! Especially as it features my favorite game of all time (which Dr. S said he didn't like unfortunately :( )

-KRS-

Oh it's out! The blog was not updated for some reason. Wait, Chronsega covers the Mega Drive now as well? Huh, sweet. I had wondered before if he would start a "Super Chrontendo" or something when he reached the SNES release date in Chrontendo, and this seems to indicate that he might do something like that. Of course, covering the SNES vs the Mega Drive is a whole other beast with all the games that were released for SNES. So he might not do it I guess. But I hope he does because the SNES totally deserves to be covered by this dude.

I'm a little confused about Chronsega 8 though. I always download the 60fps version from Archive, but there only seems to be a 30 fps version there right now. And the Youtube version is 720p but I haven't checked if the Archive version is that as well yet. I hope he posts the 60 fps version in 720p on Archive when he updates his blog.

-KRS-

No they're usually the same length as a Chrontendo episode. But now he covers two consoles in one episode apparently so I guess they got longer. :D

BearChair

Oh it's out! The blog was not updated for some reason. Wait, Chronsega covers the Mega Drive now as well? Huh, sweet. I had wondered before if he would start a "Super Chrontendo" or something when he reached the SNES release date in Chrontendo, and this seems to indicate that he might do something like that. Of course, covering the SNES vs the Mega Drive is a whole other beast with all the games that were released for SNES. So he might not do it I guess. But I hope he does because the SNES totally deserves to be covered by this dude.

I remember reading somewhere in the past that he does not want to cover the Super Nintendo because it is too big of an undertaking after taking on all of the Famicom. He could always change his mind though. At the rate of one a month or every six weeks, there are still a few years to go.

Personally, I hope when the Master System is done, he covers the Game Gear exclusives. Its basically the same hardware, and there would not be many more to cover.

NES (kinda) collector here, and I've also never heard of this until. Great stuff. Kind of dry but I like that - no BS, just breezing through the whole lineup. I've watched two eps. Great stuff!

It's always a treat when a new Chrontendo (or Chronsega in this case) shows up.

I've been tuning into this series for about 2 years now and try to hype it up on GAF whenever possible. Glad to see Chronsega 8 is finally up, was waiting for a while for that one! Especially as it features my favorite game of all time (which Dr. S said he didn't like unfortunately :( )

I have to agree with Dr. Sparkle here; Phantasy Star II had a few nice innovations for its time but is an extremely frustrating game to play today.

-KRS-

I remember reading somewhere in the past that he does not want to cover the Super Nintendo because it is too big of an undertaking after taking on all of the Famicom. He could always change his mind though. At the rate of one a month or every six weeks, there are still a few years to go.

Personally, I hope when the Master System is done, he covers the Game Gear exclusives. Its basically the same hardware, and there would not be many more to cover.

Ah I had not heard that. Bummer. It's definitely understandable though. It has taken this many years to cover like half the famicom games, I can imagine he doesn't want to spend the next 10 years doing this. :p

NES (kinda) collector here, and I've also never heard of this until. Great stuff. Kind of dry but I like that - no BS, just breezing through the whole lineup. I've watched two eps. Great stuff!

That's the best part about it in my opinion. No stupid forced jokes every 5 minutes like other retro game shows on the Internet (like pretty much anything on RetroWareTV for example). He jokes sometimes, but mostly only if it's warranted. He doesn't seem to care much about having an audience (though I'm sure he appreciates people watching), so he doesn't feel the need to do stupid shit to get more views. I mean we don't even know what the guy's name is other than Dr. Sparkle from what I know, so he's not in it for the fame. It's just an historical look at old games, plain and simple. I think you're really gonna like the show. It's perfect for collectors. I've bought so many Famicom games due to this show. Before I started watching I didn't have a single Famicom game. Now I have over 20. And a bunch of US games that didn't make it over here to PAL land. Some of them I'd never heard about and some games I had heard about but didn't really appreciate until Chrontendo showed the game in more detail.

Edit:
@Roto13: I don't remember, but in later episodes there are credits at the end of the episode. I think. :p

LayLa

What's the song that plays at the end of the Chrontendo episodes?

its by the German band Can, from a live version of Vitamin C - if you haven't heard them before they are highly recommended!
other music : intro is UFO by ESG, in-between music is Tin Cans by Tortoise

Yeah, this is definitely going to mke me want to start a Famicom collection, which is something I told myself I wouldn't do. Don't much have the money or space for it. But damn I have always loved the aesthetic of the Fami - the box and label arts, the candy-colored carts, the console itself... not to mention the historical significance of it all.

Tizoc

i LISten to the eps. on my drive home from work and even tho I don't get to see the game's themselves, I like learning about the games released since then and hear hisimpressions about them.

QMontague

Oh man, I watched the one where he talk about Tetris, and the crazy publishing rights surrounding it. Reminds me of the old ep of Retronauts where they would have a video game history lesson. It's great.

-KRS-

Yeah, this is definitely going to mke me want to start a Famicom collection, which is something I told myself I wouldn't do. Don't much have the money or space for it. But damn I have always loved the aesthetic of the Fami - the box and label arts, the candy-colored carts, the console itself... not to mention the historical significance of it all.

I wouldn't worry too much about space. FC carts are shockingly small. I had seen them in photos before but when I actually had one in my hands I was still surprised. You can literally fit two FC carts in the same space as one NES cart. And you don't have to collect every famicom game you know. :p

I only buy FC games that are actually interesting, and which only came out in Japan. One exception would be if the FC version is somehow better, like the FC version of Contra which has extra stuff between levels and more backgound animation in the game. Then I might consider getting the FC version. And you don't need an actual Famicom to play them. I just use a converter and play them on my American NES. The NES will need to be region modded though, but that's easy. Even I could do that. Edit: Although there is the drawback of games using extra sound channels which wont be heard on a stock NES, but there is a mod you can do to make it work which doesn't seem too hard to do.

Personally I draw the line at Famicom Disk System, both because the situation with disks possibly not containing what their label say since they were rewritable and because the FDS itself is a ticking time bomb just waiting to break on you.

Haha, yes I've also been annoyed about the Tecmo/Temco thing. I don't understand how he could get it wrong in the first place. If it was only the name of the company, sure. But it's even in the title of a game (Tecmo Bowl, which I think he was referring to when he said Temco the first time.) Maybe he was thinking of Kemco. In later episodes he seems to get it right though so there's that. :p I haven't really found other misspronounciations to be annoying though.
I swear he keeps saying Tose's name wrong, but I'll give him these little mispronounces here and there. If anything I think it adds to the charm of the show along with the low budget look. But the amount of info he pours into each game, no matter how small or in-signification really makes up for it.

It's always a treat when a new Chrontendo (or Chronsega in this case) shows up.
Its somewhat bittersweet, yes we have a new episode, but then we know its going to be months before another one and the wait begins again. But I always look at it as a nice treat. As I said above the amount of info he puts into this and research he does, its worth the wait.

If he starts doing Super Nintendo games, dear god, I don't think he'll finish the series before he dies. Heck there were more games released on the Super Famicom then on the Famicom and maybe the same for the SNES to the NES.

And Game Gear would be awesome, there are like less the 150 titles for the thing any so possibly wouldn't be that hard to cover.

He's updated the blog on the website now, so I've updated the main post with links to the archive.org page for the episode and all the various formats its up so enjoy. I'm only about 3 games into the current ep, I'm interested to hear his thoughts on Phantasy Star II but more looking forward to the Master System stuff. I guess as I never played a Mega Drive as a kid but did play lots of my cousins Master System I have more of a fondness for that system. Also this ep covers Wonder Boy III The Dragons Trap, one of my all time fav games :D

-KRS-

yeah he keeps saying "Tosa" or something. :D

And nice that he put the 60 fps version up now, although it seems to still be 480p. Not a big deal though. Also a 720p 60fps version would probably be pretty huge file-size wise since the regular 60fps version is 839MB already.

Edit: BTW, might as well ask. Since he started doing the 60 fps versions I've been downloading the mkv files. But there are mp4 files as well. I've just assumed that mkv is the better format, but what do you guys say?

LayLa

I wouldn't worry too much about space. FC carts are shockingly small. I had seen them in photos before but when I actually had one in my hands I was still surprised. You can literally fit two FC carts in the same space as one NES cart. And you don't have to collect every famicom game you know. :p

I only buy FC games that are actually interesting, and which only came out in Japan. One exception would be if the FC version is somehow better, like the FC version of Contra which has extra stuff between levels and more backgound animation in the game. Then I might consider getting the FC version. And you don't need an actual Famicom to play them. I just use a converter and play them on my American NES. The NES will need to be region modded though, but that's easy. Even I could do that. Edit: Although there is the drawback of games using extra sound channels which wont be heard on a stock NES, but there is a mod you can do to make it work which doesn't seem too hard to do.

Personally I draw the line at Famicom Disk System, both because the situation with disks possibly not containing what their label say since they were rewritable and because the FDS itself is a ticking time bomb just waiting to break on you.

Yeh famicom carts are pretty small, almost the exact same size as cassette tapes. which comes in handy because old 70s cassette racks are perfect for storing your famicom carts and can be picked up from thrift stores for next to nothing!

And agreed about Famicom Disk System, collecting 25+ year old magnetic media is the road to madness

yeah he keeps saying "Tosa" or something. :D

And nice that he put the 60 fps version up now, although it seems to still be 480p. Not a big deal though. Also a 720p 60fps version would probably be pretty huge file-size wise since the regular 60fps version is 839MB already.

Edit: BTW, might as well ask. Since he started doing the 60 fps versions I've been downloading the mkv files. But there are mp4 files as well. I've just assumed that mkv is the better format, but what do you guys say?
I haven't checked out the 60 FPS version, only the 30FPS one thats in .avi format as thats all my TV will play if I download the file onto a USB and plug into the TV, just works easier for me as I can watch that and play some RPG or something on the DS.

-KRS-

Actually, it is not. You know how in some games when you take damage and your character starts flickering because he's invisible? That wont play on the 30fps version. Usually you only either see the character like normal (that is, not flickering), or see the background where the character is but since he's blinking every other frame you can't see him at all. Also scrolling the entire screen looks much MUCH smoother in 60fps, and since side-scrollers were so popular back then... yeah.

It's a shame he didn't do 60 fps from the start, but it is still watchable on 30 of course. It's just that I'm a purist and like the game to look EXACTLY like it would on a CRT TV. :p

Yeh famicom carts are pretty small, almost the exact same size as cassette tapes. which comes in handy because old 70s cassette racks are perfect for storing your famicom carts and can be picked up from thrift stores for next to nothing!

And agreed about Famicom Disk System, collecting 25+ year old magnetic media is the road to madness

Holy shit you just blew my mind! I have actually tried that with NES carts, but they were just a millimeter too thick. But now I might do this for my FC carts.

It's probably ok to watch NES game footage at 30fps.
Yes and no, I've noticed abit of flicker and some scenes of animation missing, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Just finished the Phantasy Star 2 part now, and after hearing his points about the game I can kinda understand why he is down on it. Compared to all the other games hes played as part of this series up until this point, its only good point is its graphics and everything else had been done better in other games of the time (Dragon Quest 3). That said this game came out in the west shortly after Dragon Quest 1 so I can see from that point of view why it would be considered great and one of the early RPGs of note.

Teknoman

Really digging these videos. Even covers the pcengine/ turbo graphx side of things, along with interesting historical info. I just hope by watching these, I wont spoil the feeling of playing a classic title that I might have missed.

-KRS-

I guess that could be a problem, if you're thinking about spoilers. Usually he will play most of the good games all the way through. And the stories of for example the Final Fantasy games and such will be completely explained more or less, including the ending. Personally I don't mind because the games are so old anyway, but I could see why people would have a problem with it.

Watched Chronsega 8 a few hours ago and it was a good episode, as usual. And yeah really long.:) As someone who has never been that interested in the Phantasy Star games I felt it was a fairly unbiased and very informed and comprehensive look at PSII. Having played more or less all the big JRPGs up to that point puts him in a unique spot to really be able to compare the game with what else was going on at the time in the JRPG scene.

BearChair

I had not really considered that point before, but it is interesting. Dr. S does not usually really review a game. He does not hide it when he does not like a game (like nearly every golf game), but it is not a traditional review.

However, he certainly has a unique perspective when it comes to games like Phantasy Star II. He has played the game's contemporaries in roughly the order that they were released.

I had not really considered that point before, but it is interesting. Dr. S does not usually really review a game. He does not hide it when he does not like a game (like nearly every golf game), but it is not a traditional review.

However, he certainly has a unique perspective when it comes to games like Phantasy Star II. He has played the game's contemporaries in roughly the order that they were released.
I think his main issue with golf games is that there are just soo many of them on the Famicom and they are all pretty much the same thing. Same with Baseball games, its like every company had to get their own out or something.

And I think thats exactly it with Phantasy Star 2, it came out in the US in March 1990, 3 months before Final Fantasy 1, less then a year after Dragon Warrior and of course after the original Phantasy Star, from a US release point of view, it was a revolution, it wouldn't be until Final Fantasy IV(II in the US) came out in 1991 something was better then it. It looked better and had a better plot then any other Console RPG out at the time.

But in Japan, it came out after Dragon Quest 3 & Final Fantasy 2, both games which you could argue had better plots, more indepth systems and not just a series of repetitive dungeons. The main thing Phantasy Star 2 had over the others was it looked better, but when Dragon Quest mania was reaching fever point in Japan, you needed to do more then just look better to make a mark.

I will be interested to see his thoughts on the later Phantasy Star games though on the Mega Drive, I've heard nothing but good things about 4 so I wonder what his thoughts on that would be.

Finished the episode finally last night, I really need to get around to finishing Wonder Boy Dragons Trap, if only the Game Gear version would come to the 3DS VC, would love to have that on me all the time. Although kinda surprised while he was going through all the other versions of the game, he didn't bring up the Brazlian reskin of it, Turma da Mônica em o Resgate based on the Monicas Gang comic series that was big in Brazil. But maybe he'll bring it up later.

bjork

Watched all the Sega and TG16 ones, now up to 16 on the Nintendo ones. This is the best thing to play while fiddling with a DS or whatever.

Episode 46 of Chrontendo is up on YouTube, I'll update the main post with the archive.org link once its up there.

Games covered:
Airwolf
Shooting Range
Monster Party
California Games
Shin Moero!! Pro Yakyuu
Igo-Shinan
Bad Dudes
Legend of the Ghost Lion
Willow
Hissatsu Doujou Yaburi
Kyuukyoku Harikiri Stadium Heisei Gannenhan