• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Chuck" versus the NeoGAF - The Official Season 2 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
Insane Metal said:
I love this series, it´s so funny :D

And Yvonne is absolutely gorgeous!

Oh great, hulu not available on my region :(

I'm pretty sure you can use a proxy to watch Hulu. Not sure where to find one for USA though, hopefully someone has a site or program he can use?

This was a pretty good ep. The usual moments of going-slightly-too-far cheese and wild stupidity, but it delivered overall. My favorite moment was
Chuck discussing careers with his sister, with him saying "Olympic..." and her cutting him off with "Nuh uh" and they just stare at each other. They have such good chemistry.

Also the payoff for the Call of Duty or whatever joke.

Coop

Great premiere, I really enjoyed the episode.

For some reason this was my favorite part

Did somebody order drive thru? Did you think that up as you were racing over to save us? Maybe I'll say this after I crash into the restaurant!

Oozer3993

Amazon's DRM makes me giggle. It's so quaint :D LOVED the episode. Maybe my favorite yet. Favorite bits:

* "Please don't say 'pilot of the Millennium Falcon.'"
* The whole date scene was PERFECT.
* Thunderdome
* Reagan
* "Am I imposing? I was going for imposing."

evlcookie said:
Boo hulu doesnt stream to my country /cry. Must find way around it!

Too much effort for just one show - at least personally - but Hotspot Shield will let you stream from Hulu since it disguises the location of your IP. Speed will be slower than usual, though.

Oozer3993

methodman said:
oozer, can you take the pic down? some people aren't going to watch online.

Sorry about that. I removed it. For everyone waiting until Monday: you are in for a treat! GREAT episode.

jey_16

Banned
great way to start the season....Sarah looked so hot in this episode as well :D

and for those who are outside the US and want to watch it on Hulu, download Hotspot shield and run it....works fine for me

Memles

Big thumbs up for me on this one - a really smart episode that came full circle, made good use of its guest star, and gave a good sense of where the show could go in future episodes. Also, great to see the Buy More crew and Awesome added to the main credits.

[For those who can't get Hulu to work, I was able to use my Dummy US iTunes account I set up to download my digital copy of Supernatural Season Three to download it - score.]

I just recently got into this show and after watching all the episodes including the season premiere, i have to say...I LOVE IT. I thing the main thing this show has going for it is the casting and the characters are fantastic. I really can not think of a character I do not love. My favorite character is Ellie, she is just perfectly cast as the loving sister. Morgan was a little annoying right at first, but in the last 5 episodes or so (basically after he got together with Anna) he has been hilarious.

In fact I would say that if I had to choose a least favorite character it would be Chuck. There was a span late in the season 1 where he was crushing WAY too hard on Sarah and his nervousness/geekiness around her was almost too much to bear.

That being said I still love Chuck overall (both the show and the character) and am extremely pleased that I started watching the show. Can't wait for the rest of the season.

Favorite moment from the new episode:

Casey's reaction to Chuck telling him that Jeff is going to try to eat 90 twinkies in 3 minutes. Casey's instinct is to react in disgust, but then his the boyish intrigue that every guy has kicks in. He pulls the reaction off perfectly.

Impressive that you held off, Solo. I caved and watched last week. It's a good episode that I look forward to watching again tonight in HD. :D

Cereal

For those of you that did hold off on watching it on Hulu, I commend you. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Solo

Cornballer said:
Impressive that you held off, Solo. I caved and watched last week. It's a good episode that I look forward to watching again tonight in HD. :D

Im amazed that I did hold off - I mean, I finally got Hot Spot Shield going this week, and thus can now access Hulu, and yet, I held strong!

I've held off too. Planning on watching it tonight in glorious HD. While I don't mind watching shows on my computer, I much prefer it on my bigger screen, so that makes it easier to hold out.

Costanza

Banned
Held off as well. Really looking forward to seeing it in HD tonight.

edit:

I should have just quoted Kung Fu Jedi and said "."

Just did a quick search and there are some very positive preview articles up. Here's a sampling. I haven't found any reviews yet on some of the bigger papers - not sure if they review many returning series.
Dallas News said:
Pushing Daisies may be every critic's buzz-crush and, riding the Emmy wave, this may be the year of 30 Rock, but Chuck may just be the smartest, funniest, most innovative show on television that nobody is paying much attention to. Start with its hybridized structure. Chuck is funny enough to qualify as a sitcom, but it's an hour long. And in between the zany antics, each week's episode is a high-wire spy story with the fate of the free world often hanging in the balance.
Boston Herald said:
CHUCK: Season premiere tonight at 8
A-

“Chuck” mixes action, comedy and some forbidden romance. Baldwin’s deadpan humor saves any scene, and Strahovski is the sexiest spy ever to grace the tube (sorry, Jennifer Garner!). The show is off to a fine start.
Deadbolt.com said:
The second season premiere needs to bring in new fans and play to the show's strengths. It does exactly that. The first two episodes - "Chuck vs. The First Date" and "Chuck vs. The Seduction" are as confident, well-written, and expertly produced as the show's best.
Seattle PI said:
Chuck re-establishes itself as classic TV escapism--with classically enjoyable animated credits to boot. It's a funny, smart, stylish, silly action comedy, a hoot with heart, pure entertainment that mixes danger, humor and romance in a satisfying package.

PS: There's plenty in this episode that'll look good in HD.

snp95i.jpg

What?

mYm|17|

Chuck is pretty much one of the best shows out there. It combines comedy, action, some drama here and there but not too over the top.............sooooooo good.

Memles

Cornballer said:
Just did a quick search and there are some very positive preview articles up. Here's a sampling. I haven't found any reviews yet on some of the bigger papers - not sure if they review many returning series.

From Alan Sepinwall, NJ Star-Ledger:

What’s the opposite of the sophomore slump? The sophmore surge? Sophomore surprise? Whatever you want to call it, "Chuck" is experiencing it — big-time. An amusing enough diversion during a brief pre-strike run last fall, it’s found a higher gear at the start of season two. All the entertaining pieces that didn’t quite click with one another are now working in harmony, and there may not be a show on television that makes me happier right now.

My review will be up after the episode airs, but needless to say I feel the same way: a really strong hour.

One more from Maureen Ryan:
Chicago Tribune said:
'Chuck' returning to new level of quality

It's rare that watching a few episodes of television makes me want to skip with glee.

But that's how I felt after watching the first three episodes of "Chuck," the nerd-spy mashup that returns Sept. 29 to NBC.

The resolution of one nitpicky problem I had with the show was, to some degree, responsible for the glee. But there's more to it than that. Last year, I put the dramedy in the "want to like, has problems" category.

The first three episodes of this season put the show, which revolves around reluctant spy Chuck Bartowski, firmly in the "really like it" category.

I can't believe I didn't pay attention to this show until recently. The season 2 premier was so good and has made me an instant follower of this show.
I wrote a review of the episode if anyone wants to check it out, but there is a lengthy recap of what happened so stay away if you don't won't to be spoiled before you've seen it.

shpankey

not an idiot
I just got into this show, thanks to nbc.com I was able to watch about 5 of them, including the new one. Great show, consider me a lock in from now on.

Tonights episode is great.

My favorite so far is Chuck vs. the Marlin, or whatever it was called. 8o

p.s. pretty much unrelated, but the new show: "Fringe", is awesome as well.

Meliorism

The season premiere just started and I'm gonna go ahead watch it...even though I only saw the first two episodes of the first season. Really dug what I saw, and hopefully I can pickup on stuff.

I really wanna see the other episodes, but I don't have the money to invest in buying the box set right now, and Hulu only has the most recent episodes. Bleh.

Solo

Cornballer said:
Almost time!

fjdwyc.jpg

Not for me! Mountain time = another 2 hrs 45 mins wait :(

Anyways, see you guys tomorrow (dont want to get spoiled + I generally never post during/right after the show)!

whitehawk

Banned
Aw when I first saw the thread I thought it was about this :( :

Sum41_chuck.png

But since it's not, is Chuck a good show? I've never watched and not sure if I should jump into another show.

Coop

whitehawk said:
Aw when I first saw the thread I thought it was about this :( :

Sum41_chuck.png

But since it's not, is Chuck a good show? I've never watched and not sure if I should jump into another show.
It's the best show currently on TV. <---Not an exaggeration.

This show is awesome.

Coop said:
For some reason this was my favorite part

Did somebody order drive thru? Did you think that up as you were racing over to save us? Maybe I'll say this after I crash into the restaurant!

Definitely agree. This had me laughing out loud. A combination of Chuck's delivery and how Casey lit up when he first said it.

Solo

Willco said:
"90 twinkies in three minutes!"

"Jeff might die!"

:lol

When did the Feder Man start watching the show? You should grace us with your presence more often.
And with your sudden abundence of free time, now you can!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I watched it on Hulu last week and just wanted to catch a peek of it tonight off of Tivo before I deleted it. Watched the first 10 minutes and tehn just acquiesced and am just now finishing it for the 2nd time. still awesome and the jokes are still enough that they hit without being overzealous.

Casey practicing his shooting in his apartment? I laughed my ass off at the
wink as he pulled off after Reagan's picture came up.

also...
"Did somebody call for drive thru?"
"What, did you think of that on the way here?"
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom