• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chucklefish apologizes for Wargroove's whitewashed voice casting

brap

Banned
Wargroove developer Chucklefish has issued an apology after receiving criticism for whitewashing its cast of characters from the strategy military sim. The developer says that it will aim to do better in the future.
“We want to be honest about what happened,” Chucklefish writes in a statement published on Twitter. “During our casting process we knew that we didn’t want our own unconscious biases to impact who we hired to work on Wargroove.”

Chucklefish said that it attempted to combat this by working with an external casting management team, and also that the developers made an effort to not look at actor “profiles, back catalogs, headshots, etc.”

However, these efforts ultimately resulted in an all-white cast for the DLC characters.

Now lets see what the "people" complaining have to say

Jl1IxTg.png

OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This thread is disgraceful.

Insulting a small developer because they caved under the pressure of a targeted harassment campaign in order to protect their small business? Come on. The issue isn't the developer here, and if you think childish, petty insults are the solution, you need to take a long, hard look at your priorities.

You did no better than those who harassed them because they went against their political views. Good job.

Last edited:

Insulting a small developer because they caved under the pressure of a targeted harassment campaign in order to protect their small business? Come on. The issue isn't the developer here, and if you think childish, petty insults are the solution, you need to take a long, hard look at your priorities.

You did no better than those who harassed them because they went against their political views. Good job.
It's pretty much just insulting REEE. Apologies just make it worse, as you can see in the pic. They smell blood and now will never stop hunting these people.

My comment is insulting the game though. I bought it day one and can say whatever I want about the game.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's pretty much just insulting REEE. Apologies just make it worse, as you can see in the pic. They smell blood and now will never stop hunting these people.

My comment is insulting the game though. I bought it day one and can say whatever I want about the game.

You know very well what I'm talking about, and it's not your criticism of the artwork.

When a small developer like this comes under fire by this kind of targeted harassment, they have very little margin of maneuver. Attacking them by calling them "cuck" and such is just as bad as the other side that targeted them, on top of disgustingly juvenile.

Coflash

Insulting a small developer because they caved under the pressure of a targeted harassment campaign in order to protect their small business? Come on.

The definition of spineless.

Which small business has buckled under the weight of such petty complaints?

If it actually 'protected their small business' you'd have a point, but now instead of just having Reset Era members proclaiming they won't buy the game, you've got that, plus more who won't buy it because they didn't like the apology, plus regular gamers who see it as bowing down to these bullies (as per the IGN article).

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The definition of spineless.

Which small business has buckled under the weight of such petty complaints?

If it actually 'protected their small business' you'd have a point, but now instead of just having Reset Era members proclaiming they won't buy the game, you've got that, plus more who won't buy it because they didn't like the apology, plus regular gamers who see it as bowing down to these bullies (as per the IGN article).

And by insulting them, one isn't any better than those bullies.

brap

Banned

How can you be in the business of making video games and not know about the small minorites of idiots that bitch about literally every single game?

Over exaggeration much? Poking fun at them is the same thing as forcing them to change something in their game? Lol ok. The outrage idiots are trying to bend people to their will and put people out of jobs. I made a dumb thread bringing awareness to it.

When a small developer like this comes under fire by this kind of targeted harassment, they have very little margin of maneuver.
They could post WWF-DX-Suck-It.gif on twitter and nothing would happen. People would actually probably like it if they told those retards to fuck off. Maybe I would've actually bought their game because the devs seemed cool and not a bunch of spineless wimps.

Yeah man just keep acting like I'm as bad as those "people" on era. And by not reporting by thread to get the title changed you're not any better than those bullies.

You're being too harsh on them brap, it's a small studio. They see shit like this and they go like fuck we're toast and it's sink or swim and everyone is panicking. By the time they have calmed down, the intern has already posted an apology because he thinks shit is FUBAR to the point that the only solution is to put up a hail mary. It doesn't happen rationally and we should never blame the smaller studio, they're the victim here.

That being said, this is a bad take here. There's a clear villain here and it isn't anyone here.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned

It would’ve been more respectable and more beneficial to them if they had literally just said nothing at all.

oagboghi2

only the fourth post, and already we see reaching.

You don't cave to harassment campaigns. they are being called spineless becuase that is what they are.

JSoup

Banned
You know, normally I'd be with most of you on the 'they shouldn't have apologized, yadda yadda'.
But this is an excellent apology if you think about it for more than a moment.
Most apologies like these are met with 'that's just PR, you don't mean it' by the people being apologized too.
But actually read it.
'We're sorry, we'll do better' doesn't mean they are going to change shit, just that they are going to 'do better'.
It's literally is just PR talk and the same people who were going to complain about it anyway are bitching the same way they would have regardless.

The people who don't care go on not caring.
The people who do care get a handwave like this:

tenor.gif

It's fucking beautiful, really.

brap

Banned
IVE REPORTED THE TITLE FOR A CHANGE PLEASE STOP MENTIONING IT

You're being too harsh on them brap, it's a small studio. They see shit like this and they go like fuck we're toast and it's sink or swim and everyone is panicking. By the time they have calmed down, the intern has already posted an apology because he thinks shit is FUBAR to the point that the only solution is to put up a hail mary. It doesn't happen rationally and we should never blame the smaller studio, they're the victim here.
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Maybe I am being too harsh but they've been making games for years. They should know better.

Should have ignored it and it would have passed with little to no impact on their sales when the next controversial thing came up in a day or two. Now they acknowledged it, admitted to being in the wrong, and brought the "issue" to more eyes. Who are the idiots running the PR at these companies.

Good job giving in to the people who weren't even remotely interested in your game until you gave them a reason to be mad at it.

I didn't harass them and I still won't for caving in. I think that makes me objectively a better person than those who did harass them and won't accept their apology. It just boggles my mind how a group that supports men pretending to be women to dominate female sports, can be angry at a video game dev who used white actors to play black characters. The question is would the reaction have been the same if they used multiracial actors to play an all white cast? I doubt it. I give no shits either way, but fuck off with your fake ass high horse and straw man reasoning. Trying to equate innocent people with harassers. What's wrong with you?

Last edited:

pr0cs

I am sure they feel dammed if u do dammed if you don't but if they ignore the people that actually buy their games they're already lost.
Reee doesn't actually buy games, when you live in your mom's basement you don't have capital for frivolity like games.

Apology to save face and potential sales loss due to excessive and childish outcry because of the voice actor choices. Given that Chucklefish is a business, it is only natural they did this.

SweetShark

For God shake if people are good unrelated from the skin color then is great!!!
Just because all the actors are white it is not a problem.
The people who are complaining are real racists.

Ivory Blood

Lol, I remember in the previous thread some people were like - "It's just some fine people on the fine site called retardera, discussing the characters, no developer harrasment here sir, no way."

Another idiot developer trying to bend the knee for the alphabet mob. With these actions they empower more shit like this in the future, too bad the outcry from normal people won't be as strong as with Ion Fury.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Lol, I remember in the previous thread some people were like - "It's just some fine people on the fine site called retardera, discussing the characters, no developer harrasment here sir, no way."

Another idiot developer trying to bend the knee for the alphabet mob. With these actions they empower more shit like this in the future, too bad the outcry from normal people won't be as strong as with Ion Fury.
Difference with Ion Fury is they kind of apologised and then decided fuck this. We're not sorry and there is actually nothing to be sorry about and we won't censor or bow to the mob. And it didn't hurt Ion Fury's sales at all.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. Maybe I am being too harsh but they've been making games for years. They should know better.

Yeah at some point it would be nice if studios started looking around, seeing what happens when they apologize and then stop doing it. I don't blame smaller studios though, guys probably fear a bad move could kill them.

And the pitchfork mob won't be buying a game, regardless of apology, LOL.

Talk about making a fool out of a developer. And now even asking for more (firing of "responsibles") or not believing the apology, while giving a small pat on the back to idiot that apologized with words "try doing better next time".

If you "cave under a pressure", or not up to the challenge even on such a small and trivial hurdles, you should close down your shop and focus on more relaxing things... like fishing or knitting.

Quezacolt

Kratos is voiced by a black guy, and no one said anything (they shouldn't anyway, he did an amazing job), Darth Vader was voiced by James Earl Jones (again, if someone complains, they don't deserve to breath) and the list goes on, but if a white person voices a black character then that's not ok? Bunch of hypocrites.

Sybb

Banned
I can see some groups of people still care deeply about identity instead of content. That being said, because of heavy liberal bias in the gaming media, developers and publishers know what to say in order to get positive publicity.

If conservative gamers punished developers for spouting crap like this in the same way liberal gamers boycotts developers for sending the "wrong" political messages, we would hear less of these kinds of things. Liberals are a lot better at organizing themselves into powerful groups, conservatives are plenty, but not good at speaking as a collective that'll put pressure on developers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kratos is voiced by a black guy, and no one said anything (they shouldn't anyway, he did an amazing job), Darth Vader was voiced by James Earl Jones (again, if someone complains, they don't deserve to breath) and the list goes on, but if a white person voices a black character then that's not ok? Bunch of hypocrites.
LOL. But someone did say something.

In the Reeeee thread, someone brought up a greek guy like Kratos is voiced by black guys................ and he got banned for bringing it up. lol

Globule

Banned

Yesterday at 5:30 AM
User Banned (Permanent): racist whataboutism, inflammatory racist commentary

I only see this as a problem if they deliberately dismissed POC for the job. I don't think people have black, brown or white colored voices except if you want to fall into caricature. Should we be up in arms because Kratos' voice is performed by POCs and not greek people? Having POC visual representation seems much more important and that's what we got here, right?

Last edited:

SweetShark

On the future the Devs can say Kratos is a black guy but we see him grey goes of the ash to his skin.

Top Bottom