• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cindy Walker(Xbox): “Having Halo at launch would have been tremendous, but we are not reliant on massive exclusive titles to drive console adoption.''

Rolla

Banned
“Having Halo at our launch would have been tremendous,” said Cindy Walker, an Xbox spokeswoman. But “we are not reliant on massive exclusive titles to drive console adoption. Our players will have thousands of games from four generations of Xbox available to play on launch day.”

Last edited:

INC

so xbx marketing is

We dont rely on games for our games console.........

Nailed it

gxNqrBz.png

Jaxcellent

Really, MS, please for everything that is holy, bring us the games, who cares we can play some 360 games on the System X/S, we can already do this on the Xbone.
Make me believe I need to upgrade!

this is going to get rough for them, if I was phill, I'd be checking linked-in for another job. The guy us has been the xbox boss for 5/6 years now? Still no new games, WTF.

Razvedka

Banned
This statement seems to make little sense if you're analyzing it's substance. It's very clear exclusive games, even times exclusives, generate value for the console in question. Otherwise, exclusives would be far less prevalent (and MS wouldn't be acquiring studios).

This is especially true if there's little else to distinguish your product.

The only other ace MS has is gamepass.

On the other hand, all of their exclusives (and gamepass) hit the PC space anyway which is where I'm doing most of my gaming. So Xbox as a value proposition seems dubious to me, especially in light of the Nvidia bombshells and soon whatever AMD is cooking up.

Ultimately the console needs something to drive it forward. Even if, again, it's only *timed* exclusives..

So moving beyond the substance, this is obviously pure PR and damage control. They know this isn't great, but they have to make the best of it.

Yoboman

I wouldnt say ryse was a dud, it was a show piece, and did look great
Well it didn't review great but yeah it was a great looking AAA title that got people hyped.

Even if it didn't pan out into as great of a game as they'd hoped, it shows that MS were much better prepared on the software front than they are now

Rolla

Banned
The contrast within this statement is what prompted me to post this because it gets really confusing.

They were readying their biggest exclusive specifically for launch. I mean, they even have third party product marketing / placement.

eccmvetw6ic51.jpg

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
“Having Halo at our launch would have been tremendous,” said Cindy Walker, an Xbox spokeswoman. But... ...we have been caught with our pants down having relied on that ONE first party launch title and now have to spin things so that retro gaming is the new console seller. Please buy our retro machine.

....Me: I probably will.

INC

Well it didn't review great but yeah it was a great looking AAA title that got people hyped.

Even if it didn't pan out into as great of a game as they'd hoped, it shows that MS were much better prepared on the software front than they are now

Exactly and is still used today for comparisons

I think it did Exactly what it set out to do, so in my eyes isnt a dud. Same with kzsf, average reviews but was a show piece

I give release games a slight pass when they're trying to show off the consoles power, like ryse

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Man, losing Halo for launch is one thing but where the hell are the rest of the games? Xbox One had a couple of duds like Ryse but at least the effort was there and a solid Forza entry
Exactly. There is not one exciting new first party title at release. Nothing that would excite someone to preorder. I can already play 4k titles on the One X and PC. They give nearly no reason to preorder.

It looks like they want to fetch some new customers with gamepass and so on, but what about current xbox players? Strange tactic. Let's see how this will play out.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
This is where the top execs in corporate world earn their big bucks....coming out with complete horseshit, in a totally sincere and believable manner, to distract from the total clusterfuck swirling around them.

Oh yes, these people are truly on the next level.

Roufianos

I mean, that's just embarrassing PR and wrong on so many levels. MS arguably have the better box, their PR is sport on and Game Pass is an awesome deal. Still, all polls are trending heavily towards PS5, what reason could it be other than the better first parry offering?

Top Bottom