• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinematics into gameplay transitions

Anyone else love this? I actually look for it, when I'm playing. Cutting to a black loading screen even for a second takes me out of the moment.
SlimMadBedlingtonterrier-size_restricted.gif

DevotedLimitedDobermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif

JoyousSizzlingGardensnake-size_restricted.gif

GlisteningImpureArabianwildcat-size_restricted.gif

SelfassuredUnsungBoubou-size_restricted.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yea, the switches are quite jarring. Tells us that we are still a ways off from even having the quality of the cinematics as gameplay.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
A big advantage of running those cutscenes in-engine. Yes, big fan, and if more games would ditch pre-rendered cinematics then we'd see a lot more of this.
Of course, some games with real-time cutscenes still have loading times. Pretty sure lots of the Assassin's Creed games use different character models for the cinematics, thus requiring a transition between cutscenes and gameplay. Bah >_>

oh, but here I am sporting an avatar from a pre-rendered cutscene. nice. Can't wait till we get Kingdom Hearts remakes with graphics matching the opening cinematics. Fuckin nail that hair quality.

Last edited:
A big advantage of running those cutscenes in-engine. Yes, big fan, and if more games would ditch pre-rendered cinematics then we'd see a lot more of this.
Of course, some games with real-time cutscenes still have loading times. Pretty sure lots of the Assassin's Creed games use different character models for the cinematics, thus requiring a transition between cutscenes and gameplay. Bah >_>

oh, but here I am sporting an avatar from a pre-rendered cutscene. nice. Can't wait till we get Kingdom Hearts remakes with graphics matching the opening cinematics. Fuckin nail that hair quality.
yeah, the last 2 AC games had almost zero transitions, except after meditating, I think, but AC Unity had some really good ones.

Tesseract

Banned
whenever they're interactive without being quick times, yeah

dead space team absolutely split their head open with the tentacle sequence and it paid off

Belmonte

Fear Effect 1 and 2 have very impressive transitions and one of the few who could rivalize Squaresoft in this regard. The backgrounds were animated, like RE Remake and Zero, so it was smooth as hell. So smooth that many times I didn't realized it wasn't a cutscene anymore and I supposed to flee from an explosion for example.

Such a cool game! Top notch atmosphere and characters. One of my favorite endings ever.

Portman

The most memorable one to me is Metro Exodus. I'd have to see it again to be sure but my memory is that the into follows a train along the city and then pans out and down to the destroyed city and straight into the game.
Can't think of any others off the top of my head but I've always loved the effect when it is used. Gets a good "huh" moment when you realize you have control of a game and didn't notice the transition.

CJY

Banned
First time a game started without me even realising is Captain Toad on Switch. That thing is SEAMLESS.

Handel

I thought this was more about how well cutscenes transitioned into the gameplay rather than just seamless transitions. Either way, Ico's bridge scene takes the cake in just how impactful it is to the Ico/Yorda bond to give the player control for just those few seconds between cutscenes :

intbal

Batman Begins did this pretty well.

If I remember correctly, LOTR The Two Towers did a double transition. Faded from live action to cinematic to gameplay.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I hate it because I know what to look for. Things like Spiderman were very jarring, because these gorgeous cinematics play, then you suddenly switch to a camera angle and notice the lighting is now utterly flat and the facial animations have all Gone lower quality.

stranno

David Wolf: Secret Agent (Dynamix, 1989). It could be the first game ever to feature this kind of real-time 3D transitions to real-time 3D gameplay. "Minigames" intros are absolutely stunning for 1989, the gameplay tho is a bit boring and sluggish. I mean, its not that bad but not great either.

ybudPCq.gif

fnkDDdw.gif

60QRXD5.gif

W5wRLra.gif

QmQQ6pT.gif

There's a camera cut between cinematics and gameplay but i'd say they share the same engine/logic/timing so it could fit in this thread category.

stranno

Thanks to the latest Digital Foundry video, here are some Philips CDi top-notch transitions for those non-CDi-believers.

Q5mGFfB.gif

ncQGiAv.gif

NZ7vrtH.gif

Still, Codemasters somehow managed to screw a Micromachines game framerate but ... you know.

ZywyPL

Banned
This is what separates games from movies, and make them so much better. I love it every time it happens, that king of transition is so much more immersive than watching pre-rendered cut-scenes, or scripts happening while you play along. you are literally being put into the game's world, I wish it was more often utilized in games.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It’s great and one of the greatest developments in video games history. MGS4 killed it and can say that about God of War 2018 too. That one shot was juicy

If the game has in game (in engine) cutscenes then those transitions are easy to make I assume.
I generally wish that more developers would make in game cutscenes instead of those awful fmv's.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hate almost all of them, the same stupid flaw with them: action movement, dynamics.... then suddenly everything slows to a crawl for the transition.

I do love the old PSone FF FMV gameplay mix scenes though.

Last edited:
I hate almost all of them, the same stupid flaw with them: action movement, dynamics.... then suddenly everything slows to a crawl for the transition.

I do love the old PSone FF FMV gameplay mix scenes though.
not always. Jedi Fallen Order does it super quick. I'd rather it slow to a crawl to load in, than spend that time looking at a black screen.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The Spider-GOAT.

I legit had goosebumps when he jumped out of that window.
The game looks SO FRIKKING GOOD MAN.
And then suddenly.

You play the game.
WOOOOOOOOOSH

Last edited:
Top Bottom