• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CING files for bankruptcy

Bentendo

What about HAL? HAL was millions in debt and the president went to Yamauchi and asked to be saved. Yamauchi agreed to buy HAL on the account that they develop games exclusively for Nintendo.

I doubt a similar thing would happen here though. :(

farnham

Banned
Bentendo said:
What about HAL? HAL was millions in debt and the president went to Yamauchi and asked to be saved. Yamauchi agreed to buy HAL on the account that they develop games exclusively for Nintendo.

why not CING has been developing exclusively for nintendo for ages

Celine

Bentendo said:
Because something tells me that Kirby is a more lucrative franchise than Hotel Dusk.
That's for sure.
Yamauchi made the right move that time, seeing how a couple of years later HAL would develop a new mega hit franchise with Smash Bros against all the odds.
Also Yamauchi requested Iwata as the new president of HAL ...

In this case there isn't any benefit for Nintendo to buy out Cing.
They could simply hire Cing's employees and let the company go bankrupt.

[Nintex]

Here's a chance for Kotick to end up in the 8th layer of hell instead of the 9th.

Or EA to somewhat redeem themselves for WESTWOOD

nincompoop said:
Shit, should I import Another Code R now if I don't want to miss out on it forever? Play.com has it for a good price, do they ship to the US?
Nope, European countries only.
And the postal service lost my copy...got refunded though and eventually bought the game off Amazon marketplace

The Hut (and related companies such as Zavvi?) do ship to the US though and they currently have stock (a bit pricier at £24.99 though).

CD-Wow might ship to America but given they have a US site it might not allow you to unless it is in stock on the US site as well (which seems unlikely for obvious reasons) and have it for a similar price to Play but I've never used them so can't vouch at all.

Celine said:
That's for sure.
Yamauchi made the right move that time, seeing how a couple of years later HAL would develop a new mega hit franchise with Smash Bros against all the odds.
Also Yamauchi requested Iwata as the new president of HAL ...

In this case there isn't any benefit for Nintendo to buy out Cing.
They could simply hire Cing's employees and let the company go bankrupt.

Just one problem; HAL's only second-party, stupidly not wholly-owned. :/

WHY though?! :(

Of all the companies that go hand-in-hand with Nintendo, HAL is that one, they're far too close for HAL to be merely second-party, hell how did Brownie Brown become 1st-party over HAL I'll never know.

Oh well, not like there's been any difference from them being 1st or 2nd-party I suppose. If only their console game output was less than fucking puny. :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bentendo said:

Well, the company could argue that releasing there games in other territories would generate enough income to stay afloat.

And does Japan not have something similar to Chapter 11 in the US, where you can declaire you are bankrupt but stay in business?

That's just a shame; they're one of the best small developers today in my opinion. I hope the workers and properties continue at a new home.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
:(

Liked Another Code, Hotel Dusk, though they were short. Little King Story was great. Got Another Code R but it's on the backlog.

So are they actually GONE gone? Keeping the various types of bankruptcy straight is trouble enough in my home country, let alone understanding what it means internationally.

Goddamnit. Wasn't Hotel Dusk 2 announced? Does this put that in jeopardy? Say what you want about Hotel Dusk (I loved it) - Cing tried something different and filled a void that doesn't exist on the DS. We really really need more interactive mysteries, dramas!
Nintendo needs to buy them up ASAP. BTW, for those that have imported it - how was Again?

Little King's Story was the best Wii game last year and one of the best Wii games in general. Sad to hear there won't be a sequel. Hotel Dusk also had really great style and...really great style.

Pouring one out for them.

Hero of Legend said:

Of all the companies that go hand-in-hand with Nintendo, HAL is that one, they're far too close for HAL to be merely second-party, hell how did Brownie Brown become 1st-party over HAL I'll never know.

Oh well, not like there's been any difference from them being 1st or 2nd-party I suppose. If only their console game output was less than fucking puny. :(
Does it matter??

they are under Nintendo being 1st or 2nd party anyway.

Kishgal

Banned
Jeez... what a terrible thing to wake up to. Cing made several games I hold very dear. Another Code: R was my #2 game for last year. This really, really stinks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is fucking bullshit.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I think you are getting caught up in this "second-party" classification a little too much. But if you are referring to HAL ownership, the shares are split between Nintendo Co., Ltd, Hiroshi Yamauchi, Satoru Iwata, and a couple other guys including 2 original HAL guys. There is no need to change it.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think you are getting caught up in this "second-party" classification a little too much. But if you are referring to HAL ownership, the shares are split between Nintendo Co., Ltd, Hiroshi Yamauchi, Satoru Iwata, and a couple other guys including 2 original HAL guys. There is no need to change it.

I see now, and yeah, doesn't make a difference anyway.

Chemo

Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk are terrible games (that get way more love on GAF than they deserve), but I hate to see devs go down like this. Good luck, CING employees.

Tiktaalik

That's a shame I was a big fan of Hotel Dusk. Little King Story had a lot of great concepts too even though it was super rough around the edges. I was hoping they'd be able to put out a sequel with a bit of a bigger budget.

Celine

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Do you know the split ?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Nooo! This is horrible! What a bummer. :(

I bought both Another Codes, Hotel Dusk and Little King's Story full price, and Hotel Dusk and LKS are among my top 5 favourite games for their respective systems, they were really great experiences.

What a crummy end to a great developer. I hope the staff manage to find excellent (and more stable) jobs elsewhere so we don't get denied their genius.

So was there ever a sequel to AC/TM?

Yes, the Wii version is a sequel set 4(?) years after the DS one, but it was never released in the US. I'm not so fond of the Another Code series but the Wii game is a solid title too.

SovanJedi said:
Yes, the Wii version is a sequel set 4(?) years after the DS one, but it was never released in the US. I'm not so fond of the Another Code series but the Wii game is a solid title too.

Typical then that I would not be able to play it.

Kishgal

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
It was released in English in Europe, though, and is definitely worth hacking the Wii to play. I loved it so much.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I believe it had a European release, though, so if your desire is great enough to check out a "How do I homebrew Wii?" thread and import it, it should at least be understandable.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Damn..

LKS was great, I was hoping for a sequel eventually.

:(.

Top Bottom