• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Are there any cons of adding the 25 tile mod?

what does it cause/change/affect?

None at the moment, just don't expect to fill all 25 titles before you computer explodes.
That does not mean you can't use it to build suburbs and spread things out more.

Are there any cons of adding the 25 tile mod?

what does it cause/change/affect?

Just the potential maximum amount of actors your cpu has to keep track of. Some guy from the dev team said on reddit that there was a hard cap of 1 million actors though. I suspect you would have to use 25 tiles to reasonably get to that limit, though some crazy bastard will probably make a dystopia that reaches the limit within nine tiles down the line.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm never going to get to leave the map editor lol.

Pedestrian Path Zoning is a great idea, definitely grabbing that when it's out.

Klyka

Banned
the amount of cool content and mods out less than 1 week after release bodes very VERY well for the game. As does 48k people playing it :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LOL:

glvVpEs.jpg

sJJ0mby.jpg

iHg2nGS.png

MXt4aOo.jpg

My city, population 45,000 in a single 2x2km square

Highway Access

Minor traffic, all two lane one way streets

Now for a bit of a mystery:

I can't figure out why this area doesn't have sewer access. As you can see I have more than enough capacity. The area is getting water so the connection is there, and you can see the sewer just stops at that spot. Does anyone have any idea why this would be?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I guess the idea is to see if you can truly design a city that can deal with constant horrible traffic, like most big car-centric cities in the world.

In some ways it might be cool to load up a city with the mod you thought you just perfected the traffic on...

So awesome we are already seeing mods like this. The future is damn bright.

Hawk269

Can you increase the font size of the text or the icons etc? I am thinking of getting this, but I game on a 65" 4k set, so things are going to be tiny, so just wondering if there are options to scale the UI etc?

Thanks!

The fact that at least one ex maxis employee is making mods for the game is incredible from a consumer standpoint.
Normally you'd get the EA devils' sim city with DLC out the wazoo, but EA fucked it up and now sim city is dead.

Along comes a new city building game with amazing integrated mod support and instead of DLC garbage we get a whole bunch of cool mods and content in a community effort.
It's almost like it's the year 2000 again for videogames.

Pro consumer, pro gamer city building age is upon us guys.

That pedestrian mod seems like a straight up cheat that would break the game tbh.

Day and night mod especially the first one linked with all the car headlights looks super cool. I hope they implement a proper day and night cycle in the game later, just cosmetic is fine with me.

Suikoguy

Day and night mod especially the first one linked with all the car headlights looks super cool. I hope they implement a proper day and night cycle in the game later, just cosmetic is fine with me.

The lighting engine is decent, if not great. You can see the emergency lights reflect off the buildings. Night would probably look very awesome.

So I played a round in the NVidia control panel and you can override the game settings and apply your own AA. I have a 560ti in case anyone is wondering.

Without any NVidia modification
16QHssc.jpg

With FXAA on, 8x AA, supersample transparency 2x
43vXOiM.jpg

Same settings as #2, tiltshift turned off.
8u6uyQM.jpg

My settings.
k4xnW3m.png

Suikoguy

I thought unity games had issues with forced aa. Thanks for posting that.

Sell me on the game, SkylinesGAF.

I need the push.

Nothing really to sell. If you want a city builder, a new one has arrived that lives up to the genre. It also has a very bright future.

Edit: Oh, two other things.

Make sure you CPU is up to the task. If you have 4 cores you should be fine.
Second, it can be played right now, no bullshit drm or online crap you have to put up with. It's also quite bug free for a title of this scope.

boltz

SimCity did fucking everything as agents: water, electricity, shit, and other invisible communication devices. It was a bad decision.

Yeah that's what I was basing my post on. I'm pleasantly surprised at the openness of the devs.

Ok that makes sense.

Checked the game out on greenmangaming and they have a 20% off digital games deal! And Skylines is $24 with it, so I didn't have an excuse to not jump in after hearing all this great stuff in this thread. It ends on March 16, so anyone thinking about picking this up this weekend, it's probably the best deal.

dejay

Banned

I need the push.

Best city building experience in a long while, if not ever, with some incredible mods already available just days after release. There's a UFO invasion mod in the pipelines.

Or, build up your minions, pump your sewerage in behind a dam, blow up the dam and drown the population in a poonami.

I thought unity games had issues with forced aa. Thanks for posting that.

Nothing really to sell. If you want a city builder, a new one has arrived that lives up to the genre. It also has a very bright future.

Edit: Oh, two other things.

Make sure you CPU is up to the task. If you have 4 cores you should be fine.
Second, it can be played right now, no bullshit drm or online crap you have to put up with. It's also quite bug free for a title of this scope.

Best city building experience in a long while, if not ever, with some incredible mods already available just days after release. There's a UFO invasion mod in the pipelines.

Or, build up your minions, pump your sewerage in behind a dam, blow up the dam and drown the population in a poonami.
This will do.

Thank you.

Seventy70

Managing dead bodies is such a pain for me. I have cemeteries everywhere and reasonable traffic. I saw like 4 hearses drive by a building that needed pickup and none of them did anything.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I got traffic issues and I don't know how to fix it without major demolition and renovation. As well as the fact that I'm not sure how I should go about expanding outside my first block. Might just start over learning what I have from this first try.

Center roads coming off the original highway exits are one ways all the way to the end. Still doing pretty well for just winging it my first try. Making money hand over fist and everyone is pretty happy still.

My city, population 45,000 in a single 2x2km square

Highway Access

Minor traffic, all two lane one way streets

Now for a bit of a mystery:

I can't figure out why this area doesn't have sewer access. As you can see I have more than enough capacity. The area is getting water so the connection is there, and you can see the sewer just stops at that spot. Does anyone have any idea why this would be?

once you get some suburb looking areas this will look really swell. As for the poop issues, no idea, maybe try rebuilding the line again?

Realyn

I need the push.

You are given much land and basically unlimited cash. Stuff like taxes doesn't really exist. Sadly there's not much to spend the money on. There are barely any parks or landmarks to build(yeah I know workshop). Instead you'll spend most of your time looking and working with roads.

once you get some suburb looking areas this will look really swell. As for the poop issues, no idea, maybe try rebuilding the line again?

I eventually did. The only thing I can think of is that it looked like one of my treatment plants was connected when it wasn't. Also, screw suburbs, this is about density!

It's incredibly hard to make a super-symmetric city with a lack of X/Y Grid. Any mods to make up for this? Pixel perfect is a pain in the ass.

Grief.exe

Looking at the 'Make them Pay' Achievement.

Have both residential tax rates over 5% higher than industry for one year

I'm assuming this does not effect office taxation, so boost up my low-density residential and low-density commercial? have everything 5% above just to be safe?

Seventy70

This is what I'm talking about:

No one comes and picks up dead people even though the cemetery is right there and only using 2 hearses. It happens all the time and the building becomes abandoned. What do I do?

Imagine if there was a mod where every citizen tracks the camera with their head.

Man this is genius!! Really! It's creepy just by itself which is great, but imagine... We're watching them all the time... Every single move.

Now... They're watching us. Whether we're in the sky or at street level. Watching. Every. Single. Decision. We make. Every potential negative decision for them.

0_0

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In fairness, City Skylines feels like a ripoff of Simcity but with its core failings fixed up.

I don't think it would be as good as it is if SC13 hadn't come along. It did a lot of stuff right.
I was referring to the mobile games and movement to dumb down their games for the lowest common denominator. SimCity 5 did a lot of cool stuff that helped shape the simulator genre. It just had so many more problems, which were of course fixed in Skylines. All hail Cities: Skylines. Our new overlord.

I need the push.
Just look at all the screenshots in this thread and on Reddit.

Edit: The Pedestrian zoning needs to be part of the actual game. Many of these mods need to be part of the game. Some of us don't want to disable achievements just to add in features. It's the same reason I don't like modded Minecraft.

I'm struggling to get started up. Does take a fairly long time to become profitable? I haven't gone anywhere above $1500, because I start spending again on more roads and residential zoning, along with purchasing a building for each of the important bits (education, fires, crime).

I'm just not sure what I'm doing, but I've been at it for probably two hours. :p

jwhit28

I wanted to make some forestry and oil industry so I made a district of residents isolated from my downtown area and all education. It turns out nearly everyone living their is an educated senior citizen that retired and moved out of the city. So I'm still having over-educated worker problems. The problem seems to be affecting the forestry industry much more than the oil industry though.

dejay

Banned
Edit: The Pedestrian zoning needs to be part of the actual game. Many of these mods need to be part of the game. Some of us don't want to disable achievements just to add in features. It's the same reason I don't like modded Minecraft.

The game was designed to be modded - they went out of their way to facilitate it. In my opinion, you're missing out if you don't take advantage of it for the sake of some achievements.

I'm more into vanilla Minecraft myself, but that's only because mucking around with installers, files, package handlers, etc is a pain for me.

I'm struggling to get started up. Does take a fairly long time to become profitable? I haven't gone anywhere above $1500, because I start spending again on more roads and residential zoning, along with purchasing a building for each of the important bits (education, fires, crime).

I'm just not sure what I'm doing, but I've been at it for probably two hours. :p

This is my graph - I didn't start to make bank until 2026 and around 26 thousand population. (edit) Don't worry too much about police and fire at the start. Get them educated first and you'll get more money. Also, raise taxes to 11.

Durante

I'm really loving this game. I have this new traffic concept/idea (probably not new at all, just new to me) with concentric interconnected rings of alternating direction one-way roads and it actually seems to work as well in "practice" as it did when I theorycrafted it!

Grief.exe

I'm really loving this game. I have this new traffic concept/idea (probably not new at all, just new to me) with concentric interconnected rings of alternating direction one-way roads and it actually seems to work as well in "practice" as it did when I theorycrafted it!

Waiting on high-density report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom